• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. opposes UN resolution against death penalty for same-sex relations

OEfMosE.jpg

Asking the question many years too late.

TarNaru33

Banned
A lot of the countries against it I get, but Japan and China I do not. Why did they vote against it?

I believe China does not like strict wordings like this as they see it as international meddling in their affairs. Japan I am not sure about. Maybe they aren't as open to LGBT as anime would have you think.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm disappointed that the US voted against, but I'm not surprised considering the idiot in the White House, but I'm really disappointed in Japan.

Makes sense to me, doesn't matter if you agree with the resolution, what you don't agree with is that the UN should be the one mandating it.

It isn't about being the bad/good guy, it is about maintaining the sovreignty of your nation.

Yeah lets just execute all queer people, they totally don't deserve to live, obviously!

/s

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The US is looking more and more like a rogue state, rather than one of the good guys we've been taught it is. Sad to see.

Makes sense to me, doesn't matter if you agree with the resolution, what you don't agree with is that the UN should be the one mandating it.

It isn't about being the bad/good guy, it is about maintaining the sovreignty of your nation.

All those states’ rights.

NCSOFT

I believe China does not like strict wordings like this as they see it as international meddling in their affairs. Japan I am not sure about. Maybe they aren't as open to LGBT as anime would have you think.

They aren't truly open to LGBT at all, Taiwan is the only Asian (country?) where you can argue there's a legitimate development in LGBT rights.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised at anything the US does anymore, but I'm kinda disgusted by Japan, China and South Korea for this.

I'm a little surprised people are surprised. All those places continue capital punishment at this time and are particularly violent and abhorrent (the methods of punishment)

TarNaru33

Banned
The death penalty is abhorrent in any and all cases. It has no justification in any form. To see so many countries opposing such a resolution is terrifying. It's just pure murder

Disagree entirely, not everyone has a right to live despite the crimes they committed.

They aren't truly open to LGBT at all, Taiwan is the only Asian (country?) where you can argue there's a legitimate development in LGBT rights.

I figured that was the case, Japan is pretty conservative, not to mention they also have a death penalty.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Disagree entirely, not everyone has a right to live despite the crimes they committed.

In every country innocent people have been killed and are continued to be killed by the death penalty. The only thing you are arguing for is straight up murder

Edit: How many innocent deaths is okay with you? The current number in every country is quite high. No one gets resurrected after they're found to be innocent though

Ferr986

Surprised at people being surprised about Japan vote. They're conservative as fuck, and they aren't as open with LGBT rights as you may think.

US is extremely disapointing but... hardly surprising nowadays too.

TarNaru33

Banned
In every country innocent people have been killed and are continued to be killed by the death penalty. The only thing you are arguing for is straight up murder

The better idea is to make sure the person is guilty with hard cold facts and evidence over witnesses before a death sentence can be on the table.

No, I am arguing for the ability to put heinous people that doesn't deserve a 2nd chance to a quick death. Obviously the standards need to be better, but I won't let that belief go because sometimes an innocent is killed.

The justice system is not perfect, so why have a permanent solution?

If I was sentenced to life in prison and was innocent, I rather take death over wasting away behind a cell, hoping by some miracle that I be found innocent. That is just me though.

Again, I think you guys are being misled by the thread title -- the resolution does not condemn the death penalty only for cases of same-sex relations, but more broadly (and uses those cases as examples).

Recognizing the role of regional and subregional instruments and initiatives towards the abolition of the death penalty

Welcoming the fact that many States are applying a moratorium on the use of the death penalty,

Noting that States with different legal systems, traditions, cultures and religious backgrounds have abolished the death penalty or are applying a moratorium on its use,

etc.

Of course countries with capital punishment are going to vote against such language.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
The better idea is to make sure the person is guilty with hard cold facts and evidence over witnesses before a death sentence can be on the table.

No, I am arguing for the ability to put heinous people that doesn't deserve a 2nd chance to a quick death. Obviously the standards need to be better, but I won't let that belief go because sometimes an innocent is killed.

The standards will never be perfect. Think about what you just posted. You believe in killing innocent people sometimes?!?!? Really?!??!

Edit: It's never okay to kill an innocent person! Fuck! What even is this world! Fucking fuck me

RDreamer

Yeah guys, think about the poor sovereignty of the nations that execute gay people!

Again, I think you guys are being misled by the thread title -- the resolution does not condemn the death penalty only for cases of same-sex relations, but more broadly (and uses those cases as examples).

etc.

Of course countries with capital punishment are going to vote against such language.

Oh. Meh, then.

Oersted

I figured that was the case, Japan is pretty conservative, not to mention they also have a death penalty.

Does that include you when you deny some other person's right to live?

TarNaru33

Banned
The standards will never be perfect. Think about what you just posted. You believe in killing innocent people sometimes?!?!? Really?!??!

Nothing is perfect and no, I believe in the death penalty for certain crimes (mass shootings for one, mass killings etc.) with the recognition of the possibility of innocent people being killed due to it.

Increasing the standards should be able to mitigate that, though.

Does that include you when you deny some other person's right to live?

Of course, though I don't expect to do such a thing.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
America, sure. WTF at China, Japan, and SK, though.

This is confusing me a lot. Those countries do not have good records for the kind of rights talked about in the resolution and all practice capital punishment. I don't understand why people think they would have voted for this resolution

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing is perfect and no, I believe in the death penalty for certain crimes (mass shootings for one, mass killings etc.) with the recognition of the possibility of innocent people being killed due to it.

No. Innocent people are killed by the death penalty. It has killed as many as any mass shooting will. There will never in any history, in any world be a perfect conviction of a criminal. You will always kill innocent people

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

So why should anyone follow any resolution or treaty?

“Nuclear nonproliferation? Eh fuck it, you can’t encroach on my sovereignty.”

RM8

This is confusing me a lot. Those countries do not have good records for the kind of rights talked about in the resolution and all practice capital punishment. I don't understand why people think they would have voted for this resolution
Yeah now I'm seeing it more as defending death penalty in general. Still pretty gross.

Anyway, super cool to see that Mexico is one of the countries that proposed this <3

Seems like the actual language is a lot broader than just same sex relations, OP. With that knowledge it's a lot clearer why countries with the death penalty would vote against the resolution.
Hmm
Seems sensationalized to generate more outrage, no?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
We will have to disagree on this, then.

We don't just disagree. I will always remember you as someone who advocated for killing innocent people.

I deeply and desperately hope you educate yourself on the issue and one day come to terms with the true horror you are currently arguing for

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I read the two paragraphs in the OP, and while LGBT is in there, it seems like it's a general proposal against the death penalty with a specific mention of its use against LGBT relationships, adultery, etc.
China, India and Japan being against it makes it obvious that the issue here is the death penalty aspect and not the same sex part. Understandably the U.S. supports its interest in voting against it.

Wow. A lot of nations more concerned with potential criticism of their current use of the death penalty than people being killed merely for who they love.

Pathetic.I'm ashamed of the U.S.

Seems like the actual language is a lot broader than just same sec relations, OP. With that knowledge it's a lot clearer why countries with the death penalty would vote against the resolution.
Hmm
Seems sensationalized to generate more outrage, no?

The OP uses an article from the Washington Blade, the venerable LGBT news outlet. Of course they're going to frame it that way, which is fine. The problem is that it leads to a thread like this, where suddenly people are debating Japanese treatment of gay people or doing the routine "fuck this, fuck that, the U.S. is a rogue state along with South Korea".

Meowster

Makes you wonder if they’d just round us all up and “ship” us off somewhere if it weren’t for liberals and progressives hanging around.

EDIT: I see that this got linked together with the death penalty. I still don’t really think I’d disagree with what I said though.

I never understood this line of thought, do you believe these people should die purely for retribution or revenge? I mean there is a reason why most of these people kill themselves before the cops get them, because they don't want to go to jail. I think life in jail is far more of a punishment for these people rather then martyrdom in death.

That's without going into the whole human rights issue i mean this is a bigger issue then you seem to think it is.

Apathy

Seriously US?! Seriously?! Wtf

This is unacceptable and undefendable. This is sickening on so many levels.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't understand what people think of Japan..... I don't get it. What about Japan makes anyone think they would approve this measure?

WGMBY

The US regime doesn't want the UN encroaching on their rights to put people to death, whatever the reason.

Exactly. Iirc, it's the same reason why the US never ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child. One of the provisions is that it outlaws the death penalty for children, so even though the US had a big hand in writing it, congress has never ratified it.

edit: also outlaws Life Imprisonment for people under 18/

Top Bottom