• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft exec: Xbox Scarlett and PS5 ‘a major generational leap’.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The executive Alain Corre said he’s excited by the prospect of technological advancements driving improved gameplay experiences on new hardware.

“Developers want to surprise all the time, to innovate – and technology allows us to go into unknown territories and to bring something fresh,” he said. “Like in watch Dogs for example. Thanks to the AI that they are mastering now we are able to bring a new gameplay.

“And if the manufactures of this world can go on innovating and pushing the boundaries of technologies, then we will be able to create better games and convince more fans and the industry will go on growing.

“I think the social aspect in the game is something that is more and more important,” Corre continued. “The new technologies will provide new ways for fans to exchange data.

“And there are plenty of other new elements to improve the quality of gaming. Microsoft spoke about SSD [super-fast hard drives] and the fact they want to reduce the loading times… It’s a very important topic and it’s a revolution, this thing.

“On the graphics side, it’s still improving because you will see a difference form 4k to 8k. There are things they are proposing that will make these machines super sexy for the fans to look forward to.”

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
8k is just... Nonsense . I have a 55inch 4k and yes, it's amazing, but after i rearranged my livingroom and I now sit further away from the screen, the differences aren't that huge compared to 1080p.

I fail to see how this will matter to anyone who doesn't sit very close to a massive screen.

HeresJohnny

8k is just... Nonsense . I have a 55inch 4k and yes, it's amazing, but after i rearranged my livingroom and I now sit further away from the screen, the differences aren't that huge compared to 1080p.

I fail to see how this will matter to anyone who doesn't sit very close to a massive screen.

It’s a money-making thing. They keep telling everyone they need higher res televisions and the television makers make lots of money. I’m still using 1080p sets in my house and they will stay that way until one fails.

Quezacolt

We barely have gpus that can play new games at 4K/60fps with highest settings and they are talking about 8k, lol. Only if they want next gen games to look the same as the ones we have now, if not worse.

R600

Banned
If it was up to me, next gen would be 1440p checkerboard upscale to 4K and this would include next gen after next gen. This pixel pushing costs so much performance, yet visual effects are almost non existant.

I understood this back in 2005 and SD>HD, or HD Ready > 1080p/2K, but 4k (let alone 8k) is a meme that needs to die. Like these stupid mobile devices with 600ppi when human eye hardly sees any difference vs 350ppi.

CJY

Banned
If it was up to me, next gen would be 1440p checkerboard upscale to 4K and this would include next gen after next gen. This pixel pushing costs so much performance, yet visual effects are almost non existant.

I understood this back in 2005 and SD>HD, or HD Ready > 1080p/2K, but 4k (let alone 8k) is a meme that needs to die. Like these stupid mobile devices with 600ppi when human eye hardly sees any difference vs 350ppi.
VR needs higher resolutions and a drive towards higher resolutions is not going to end for a long time yet. Perhaps it should, but saying the human eye cannot discern 600ppi vs. 350ppi is not correct. It's entirely dependant upon how close your retina is from the screen. I'd personally be happy if we stuck at 4K with consoles so 1440p isn't good enough when the native res of most of the TVs sold is 4K. 8K is absolutely silly though, I agree with that part.

BOE has a display that is 5644ppi...

Have you seen this? Pretty crazy.

R600

Banned
VR needs higher resolutions and a drive towards higher resolutions is not going to end for a long time yet. Perhaps it should, but saying the human eye cannot discern 600ppi vs. 350ppi is not correct. It's entirely dependant upon how close your retina is from the screen. I'd personally be happy if we stuck at 4K with consoles so 1440p isn't good enough when the native res of most of the TVs sold is 4K. 8K is absolutely silly though, I agree with that part.

BOE has a display that is 5644ppi...

Have you seen this? Pretty crazy.

So we need to push resolution duo to VRs that are rendering in...sub 1080p? 4k is more then enough in home, 2k upscaled by good reconstruct technique is hard to differentiate even for pixel counters, let alone when looking at picture from 3feet on your TV.

CJY

Banned
So we need to push resolution duo to VRs that are rendering in...sub 1080p? 4k is more then enough in home, 2k upscaled by good reconstruct technique is hard to differentiate even for pixel counters, let alone when looking at picture from 3feet on your TV.
What do you mean rendering in "sub 1080P"?

Oculus Quest for example has dual 1600x1440 displays... one for each eye.

Armorian

Banned
We barely have gpus that can play new games at 4K/60fps with highest settings and they are talking about 8k, lol. Only if they want next gen games to look the same as the ones we have now, if not worse.

I think we would have to return to early PS3 level of gfx to achieve native 8k on NG consoles.

R600

Banned
What do you mean rendering in "sub 1080P"?

Oculus Quest for example has dual 1600x1440 displays... one for each eye.
Talking for PS4VR. So we need to push 8k while games look like shit in resolution far below 4k, which is widely available.

ZywyPL

Banned
I just love when Ubi and EA talk about innovations xD Like, where do they want to put those innovations in? Yet another Assasins Creed? Fifa? Battlefield? C'nom, let's be serious...

who wants to bet that PS5/Next Box still cant do Watch Dogs 1 reveal graphics?

Not a chance - WD has been treated with RT tech couple of days ago, and it's STILL not even close to the reveal "gameplay".

Ovech-King

Gold Member
This is good for playstation in a way that with a lot more power, they can probably have their next PSVR google run at 1440p per eye or something like that

meirl

Banned
2k upscaled by good reconstruct technique is hard to differentiate even for pixel counters, let alone when looking at picture from 3feet on your TV.

This is bullshit. If you have a high quality and huge screen, you WILL see a difference. Easily.

Romulus

Psvr will see the biggest jump. Games are required to run at 60fps, and can go to 120fps. Even with the current headset, supersampling down from higher resolutions like in Wipeout looks damn good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And no doubt UBI is happy with the increase in Scarlett and PS5 power.

Just imagine the bullshot preview videos UBI can create with more horsepower. Watch Dogs trailers from 2012 will like Atari 2600.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It’s a money-making thing. They keep telling everyone they need higher res televisions and the television makers make lots of money. I’m still using 1080p sets in my house and they will stay that way until one fails.

Same here. I care little s our resolution and it’s a hassle to get rid of a working 55” tv. Won’t fit in our cars and living in a slightly shitty gentrifying area I don’t want locals from Craigslist or whatever coming into my home to test it and take it away. When one of the two we have dies I’ll buy a new one and have the delivery people take the dead one away for recycling like I did last time.

Riven326

Banned

It's unnecessary as well. A waste of resources. I think most people will be happy with 4k.

A half decent cpu and a modest jump in graphics I wouldn’t call major, but whatevs.

Most of these cranks will churn out the same tired sequels anyway.

Varteras

Gold Member
I have zero faith in Ubisoft to produce anything exciting at this point, no matter what the hardware is. Skull & Bones is pretty much the only thing they have coming that I'm remotely excited for and for some reason they can't seem to get the damn thing done. Which is strange because it's basically just the pirate ship battles of Black Flag made into a multiplayer game. Beyond Good and Evil 2 was announced 2 years ago and we still don't even have confirmation of which platforms it's on, nevermind a good release window. Not surprising considering Michel Ansel can't seem to get his head out of his ass. Wild was announced 5 damn years ago and the only things we have to go on are his word that it's still in development and a trademark refiling by Sony. Not that I'm really expecting Ubisoft to nail Beyond Good and Evil 2 anyways. They've been playing the "we'll release a lame product now and fix it later" game this generation.

Boss Mog

Obviously this leap is going to be huge. Current gen is powered by an APU that features a netbook CPU cores and a low end GPU. Next gen APUs are going to have Desktop CPU cores and a mid to high level GPU.

Top Bottom