• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
When Sony started PS+ it was only going to end this way.

I would probably get a Ubisoft subscription as well. Having 4 (MS, EA, Sony, Ubi) would mean I would rarely be buying games.

dismiss my points if im wrong then?

Your points are full of conjecture and laden with false assumption and bias.

You created this imaginary gamer who seems to buy into everything that ruins gaming and now everyone who see value in EA Access gets painted with that same brush. It's not a healthy start to informative debate.

Alx

Instead we get asked to buy all our stuff from them using their digital store, so we get a "discount" that will be undercut by Amazon on day 1
But if you want to get the game somewhere else, you'll be made to wait.

Many of us were already going full digital anyway. That kind of offer is obviously targeting that crowd.

Steroyd

Sorry but I'll take a mediocre Ubisoft game over any throwaway title I got on PS4 with PS+ so far.

Yeah and that situation won't improve if Ubisoft had their own service, add onto that you'd need PS+ to play whatever Ubisoft game online anyway and you'd end up paying extra for something you may have already got in the first place, don't forget FarCry 2 & 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Rayman Origins all made it on PS+ at one point in time.

Kal87

Neo Member
Christ this is crazy. I mean it's too late, there is no going back now. The fact that so many are defending it goes to show that EA has already got what they wanted.
EA just took a massive shit and fed it to everyone telling them its chocolate. Get used to the taste guys, the rest of the publishers WILL be serving it up real soon.

-PXG-

That's nice. Too bad I don't want ANY of their games. Hopefully they don't fuck it up. But I think we all know how this will turn out.

Jito

Banned
Why are people caring about this? It is all VOLUNTARY!! You dont have to subscribe you morons.

Because..
wSvoup5.gif

It's essentially Netflix for games yet people are acting like it's a scam or something.

Zombine

Banned
One of three things can happen:

1) Sony continues to hold out and EA/Ubisoft make quite a bit of their content exclusive on Microsoft platforms.

2) These services don't sell as well as they hope and it crashes and is forgotten about.

3) Sony caves in allows it on their console and I slowly back away from my favorite hobby.

It's essentially Netflix for games yet people are acting like it's a scam or something.

Look at it this way:

If these subscription services are successful, do you think the quality of games will increase or decrease?

Or to put it another way. "People" will subscribe to get their yearly Fifa, AC and COD. Since EA, Ubisoft and Activision already have their money, why would they bother to even think about making other games?

Why would they make games at all beyond the bare minimum required to satisfy their subscribers?

They wont.

Steroyd

Because..
http://i.imgur.com/wSvoup5.gif[IMG]

It's essentially Netflix for games yet people are acting like it's a scam or something.[/QUOTE]

I thought PS+ was Netflix for games, Ubi Access would be like a Sony Pictures add-on subscription.

Jito

Banned
Look at it this way:

If these subscription services are successful, do you think the quality of games will increase or decrease?

Or to put it another way. "People" will subscribe to get their yearly Fifa, AC and COD. Since EA, Ubisoft and Activision already have their money, why would they bother to even think about making other games?

Why would they make games at all beyond the bare minimum required to satisfy their subscribers?

They wont.

This is a bit of a leap, what evidence do you have that the quality of games would decline because they have loads of subscriptions? What suggests they'd stop releasing games at normal prices for people to just buy if they want? So many assumptions are being made and people just assume the worst on here, it's pretty sad.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought PS+ was Netflix for games, Ubi Access would be like a Sony Pictures add-on subscription.
Exactly, you'd have to have a Paramount subscription, Lionsgate subscription, Warner Brothers subscription, Disney subscription, etc.

This isn't really a Netflix at all because the publisher is controlling all of their content. You don't get to dabble in a little of this or a little of that.

Microsoft once had a policy where no third party could use their own servers on Xbox Live. They also developed sports games.

EA withheld all of its EA Sports titles from Xbox Live until those two things stopped. What makes you think they will continue putting games on PS+ if EA Access is successful?

EA Access will not be successful on PS systems, as it will not be on them. EA can try squeeze extra money out a PS EA game by putting it on plus, or they do nothing and get nothing.

EA can try and hold out and refuse games for PS+ but it isn't much of a threat when EA Access was gonna deny those games to PS+ anyway.

Not having other subs on the systems will make PS+ better. Meanwhile, I wouldn't hold my breath for EA Access games heading to Games with Gold. Ditto for other publishers who try this.

This is a bit of a leap, what evidence do you have that the quality of games would decline because they have loads of subscriptions? What suggests they'd stop releasing games at normal prices for people to just buy if they want? So many assumptions are being made and people just assume the worst on here, it's pretty sad.

Because the last 10 years or so?

Sure it is pessimistic. But what part of publishers having your money in advance do you think will result in higher quality?

It is like preorder bonuses and review embargos x 10000000000000

Why are people caring about this? It is all VOLUNTARY!! You dont have to subscribe you morons.

People caring about a subject on an internet forum? Bastards!

People care because they look at the bigger picture. Not just what services offer today, but what the publishers want with them. They're not doing these programs as a favor to the customers.

TeRey09

Look at it this way:

They wont.

I would argue that this is already happening with Madden, CoD and AC (Not sure about FIFA), games released yearly for $59.99, with the complaints we hear every year about these games not changing much.

Look at it this way:

They wont.

Wha? Ubisoft is a corporation. The goal is to make more money, always more. This potential service is just another revenue stream for them.

Jito

Banned

Sure it is pessimistic. But what part of publishers having your money in advance do you think will result in higher quality?

What about the last 10 years? The games I play these days are massively improved over the majority of games I played 10 years ago.

Well them having more money hopefully only means they can put more money into games development.

Pre-order bonuses are hardly a thing over here (UK), buy the game on release and you get the pre-order bonus, usually no need to pre-order at all. And can you just not wait a few days after a game releases for reviews if there are none before release? A review embargo means nothing to me other than I have wait a day or two more to read a review.

SparkTR

In a market where consumers think it's acceptable to lock online gaming behind a paywall I shudder to think what else could be achieved. It's voluntary right up until they start locking important features behind it.

p3tran

Banned

what are you talking about? because you are certainly NOT talking about EA access for sure.
now, is there some other subscription I have missed that does that, or are we talking pure fantasy here?

Burai

shitonmychest57
well, enjoy your fears, too.

A fear caused by past actions and repeating them to the point it feels inevitable what's going to happen.

It's like that thread we had last week. "Season passes are out of hand". As if somehow the overpricing and under-delivery was a completely unforeseen disaster that had just been sprung on the market.

At this point, these threads where people are defending the inevitable disaster that will be unleashed upong them are like watching lemmings slowly marching toward the cliff.

"I just pay for the stuff I like! I'll jump out again when it goes too far! Vote with your wallets!" Fast forward a few years and it's gone too far, everyone's doing it so there's no alternative and the whales are making it too profitable for the market to ever course correct again.

The thread "Publisher subscriptions have gone too far" will be with us in due course.

EA Access will not be successful on PS systems, as it will not be on them. EA can try squeeze extra money out a PS EA game by putting it on plus, or they do nothing and get nothing.

EA can try and hold out and refuse games for PS+ but it isn't much of a threat when EA Access was gonna deny those games to PS+ anyway.

Not having other subs on the systems will make PS+ better. Meanwhile, I wouldn't hold my breath for EA Access games heading to Games with Gold. Ditto for other publishers who try this.

What will happen in reality is that the publishers will remove the paywalled features from the PS4 SKU and keep it all exclusive to Xbox. They won't be forced to compete, they'll just devalue Sony's product until they are forced to fold and give in.

Wha? Ubisoft is a corporation. The goal is to make more money, always more. This potential service is just another revenue stream for them.

I imagine the argument would be that if they are getting a reliable revenue stream from their subscriptions, there is no incentive to innovate. Why risk tens-hundreds of millions of a new IP when your current rollout, plus the subscription, could possibly be a safer, more lucrative option? Personally, I don't really think that would happen - but eh.

My biggest gripe with this whole subscription is the inevitable walling off of services if you don't have it. We're already seeing it with demos, early play, etc. If these publishers hit their targets, there is a high likelihood of "Expansion 1 - Only with EA Acess", hell, if they were very successful, it may be required for some online features.

I'm fine with one or two subscriptions. At this stage - I do not want these to become the norm. If the publishers prove otherwise, and make these subscriptions outstanding value, with no consumer detriment, then I would consider. Right now though, no.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My favourite new console wars mantra is the Sony are the only company in the world that actually improves when they don't have competition.

Umm yes? So again, if the goal is to make money and not games, and you give them money for a bare minimum, why are they making other games again?

what are you talking about? because you are certainly NOT talking about EA access for sure.
now, is there some other subscription I have missed that does that, or are we talking pure fantasy here?

You realise this thread is about Ubisoft considering a service right?

Xando

What will happen in reality is that the publishers will remove the paywalled features from the PS4 SKU and keep it all exclusive to Xbox. They won't be forced to compete, they'll just devalue Sony's product until they are forced to fold and give in.

The thing you forgot though is that Sony is ( and probably will be ) market leader for the next 5-7 years.
The reasoning that they will just fold very unlikely.
They will try to fight back by increasing value for PS+, if sales continue like they do now EA will probably fold before Sony does.

luffeN

Umm yes? So again, if the goal is to make money and not games, and you give them money for a bare minimum, why are they making other games again?

How will you be able to sustain a service if you don't add content? If they don't make more games the service will flop.

EA, Activision and Ubisoft cannot in my opinion lock games behind their services. There will always be games available to everyone. If the quality of the games declines because of the service, then these subpar games will kill the service because the people paying for the subscription will receive the same games. Or do you go so far and say that the games behind the service will have better quality?

Even if EA and the rest lock their games behind their services there are SO MANY MORE games we can try and play. I think it won't be too huge of a loss.

p3tran

Banned
You realise this thread is about Ubisoft considering a service right?

Yes I do! do you mind pointing me to the quotation where "giving them money in advance" is mentioned?

I guess you dont know, but neither in ea access we had to "give money in advance"
in fact the opposite happened:
<<- hey, mister gamer, I got for you this proposition: I have this vault here, with bf4, fifa14, madden 14 and peggle 2, I give you the vault keys for 30$/year.
and while we are at it, I promise I will add more and not remove from the vault,

and for it to be more enticing to you, I also throw in a 10% stackable discount on everything you may want to buy, along with an exclusive "preview the full game before it is released, without having to preorder/buy it" feature.

so you like it? if yes, I put an app for you to learn more and maybe even subscribe if that deal suits you>>

and the stuff the ubi dude says, I read them twice and still cant figure out where you got your "pay me now, service in future"

BBboy20

I can't comprehend how so many people are willing to give the benefit of the doubt to companies and how so many people are extremely short sighted. Like, I know I read some things on here sometimes and I go "oh you!" but this is one of the few times where I'm genuinely surprised by the lack of forward thought in all of this.
Guess that makes you "FIRST" on what I wanted to say initially here.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to spend a dollar on anything. If the game gets too rich for your blood, you're free to check out at any time and spend your cash elsewhere.
People also don't like having their favorite games being treated like cheap prostitutes.

I take offense that some people are blaming me (and others) for the situation.
Read above.

If not for those idiots, the game you're preordering likely wouldn't exist in the first place.
If that is what it takes to begin with, that is really, really, really, sad.

Where do you get your information? We don't have consumer protection laws because 'people are stupid'. They exist to promote fair competition and free trade by preventing businesses from commiting fraud or outright lying to consumers. It is always assumed that consumers are rational, self-interest-seeking actors as long as the environment is fair and balance. EA Access does not fall within the same scope, nor is Sony consider a consumer protection agency.

If these laws were designed to protect 'stupid' consumers, why don't they regulate alcohol advertising more or restrict the sale of seemingly pointless products? What's funny is that these laws are designed to protect consumer choice, and give regular joes the right to 'vote with their wallets' and decide on their own what they want to pay for. These laws go exactly counter to the arguments made by those wanting these services outright banned before release.
As Americans, we have no rights anymore.

Before I can take anything you say seriously please explain how 5 dollars for a month of EA Access doesn't have value. It literally pays for itself if you purchase a game in the same month. And if you don't that's 5 dollars for, possibly, hundreds of hours of gaming.

Anyone who says there no value here is objectively wrong. Its not based on opinion its just simple math.
You probably should reconsider that thought as this is EA we are talking about.

The problem is that EA and Ubi are less trustworthy than a drug dealer.
That is actually pretty horrific when you think about it.

If there is ever a good time to leave these 3 publishers, it may as well be now and I haven't felt this good in a long time...

*looks at Destiny poster*

-____________________________________________________-

Tiemen, block tower, Amir0x, Impeccable, and others: keep fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wauzrPn0cfg

One of three things can happen:

1) Sony continues to hold out and EA/Ubisoft make quite a bit of their content exclusive on Microsoft platforms.

2) These services don't sell as well as they hope and it crashes and is forgotten about.

3) Sony caves in allows it on their console and I slowly back away from my favorite hobby.

Unfortunately this. And I fear the third option the most.

Zok310

Banned
It's like DLC all over again. By the end of the gen we all will be paying for Live, Plus, and to most major 3rd party dev some kind of sub fee.
And just like DLC there will be forms and evolutions of these sub programs that are just going to screw people out of content.

I fore see PS+ and Games with Gold relegated to indies and 1st party games only if the 3rd party sub is successful.

But hey, at least we got to choose, right???

I guess you dont know, but neither in ea access we had to "give money in advance"

If you really think the first iteration of EA access is where it ends and that EA will always give you the options you want in the future, I believe you are in for a rude shock.

You mean just like how the lack of competition has drastically improved cell phone carriers and ISPs in the US?

In PS+ case, more competition means less games for the service, which is bad for the gamer since most of them will be paying for PS+ for the multiplayer, to even make good use of EA Access you'd need PS+ too.

EA Access...no EA games for PS+.
Ubisoft Access...now no Ubisoft games
Activision...now none of these
Etc

How does this benefit PS+?

Any worthwhile feature that gets paywalled will just devalue the game on all systems, if they remove it from Sony system entirely they just damaging the biggest market for themselves, to Sony it makes no difference, other games will sell instead of EAs as gamers spend money on rival (to EA) products instead.

Sony system will not be devalued as the box product game is the same across both platforms. Pay the same, get the same for both systems still.

Any paywalled feature is effectively exclusive extremely high priced DLC.

cripterion

True to a certain extend but honestly not really that comparable, but ok i go with it.
Is "look they are just as bad!!" really a good argument for you???

I just find it hypocritical. If Sony can redeem themselves in the eyes of gamers why not others?

Yeah and that situation won't improve if Ubisoft had their own service, add onto that you'd need PS+ to play whatever Ubisoft game online anyway and you'd end up paying extra for something you may have already got in the first place, don't forget FarCry 2 & 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Rayman Origins all made it on PS+ at one point in time.

Which is why I'm only talking about PS+ on PS4. I use it as an example cause to some an UBI sub threatens that but in all honesty
1. Not every one is concerned cause not all people have a Playstation system.
2. I was proven wrong and some people actually purchased PS+ service for the monthly games and not for the multiplayer component so I'm sure some would see a value in having several of UBI titles behind a sub.

So all in all, I notice a lot of people that are totally against this seem more about protecting the value that they get with their PS+ than anything else.

Top Bottom