• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

Sorc3r3r

I am shocked.

I am going to suggest a further step, build a console for every big pub, would be so awesome, so much freedom.
Do it.

jem0208

$30 and I've played a bunch of Madden, as well as Fifa and BF4, two games I never would have bought. I'm looking forward to what else comes.

Don't get the hate for this program at all.
I think most of the hate comes from the fact that its EA and that it could possibly, maybe, possibly not but still might lead to a situation where major content is barred behind subscriptions. Something I don't think will happen.

Vuze

This is what these idiot publishers don't understand, it's the same thing as when studios started pulling out form Netflix to do their own streaming service. They see the dollar signs and that's it not realizing people have no problem with Netflix cause it's just $8 once, not $8 for Netflix, for hulu, for amazon, for warner bros and so on. It adds up and people don't want that split content everywhere.

Hopefully Sony nips this line of thinking in the bud. I like getting games from everyone through PS+ and I refuse to buy into 5 different subscription services from 5 different publishers.

^this

Subscriptions for everyone!

I would love that... PS+, Games with Gold, EA, Ubi, not sure who else could do something like this... but if that was $160 bucks or so, I'd save a bunch of money versus buying a bunch of discs and play a bunch of stuff I wouldn't otherwise have tried.

For heavy users that love a backlog, this stuff is great.

Steel

Banned
... Yep. Saw this coming. It's definitly good for publishers to get extra cash flow on games that are no longer generating significant revenue, for sure. But who would want to buy an Ubi sub? You either buy AC when it comes out or not at all.

Micerider

Please please please don't give in. This is the start of locked-in advantages and secured accesses.

I know it looks like a good deal (and probably is in lot of scenarios), but it's only encouraging the big publishers to build their own exclusive walled-garden.

This would be the opposite as encouraging the quality of a single product.

A-V-B

it could possibly, maybe, possibly not but still might lead to a situation where major content is barred behind subscriptions. Something I don't think will happen.

Why the heck not? Six years ago we were laughing at the possibility of games existing solely to push microtransactions. "They'd never be that crazy."

Well, now it's the sad reality. Odds are, EA and folks calculated what they would need to do to lock everyone behind subscription packages before they even started this thing.

JaggedSac

Bring it. Let me choose whether to subscribe to your service based on the content and features you provide at a given cost.

tDXwZIY.gif

And it has begun. EA tests it, Activision already said they're interested in it and now Ubi. Let's hope this is not moving to PS4 at least. I might jump out if that happens. I have no intention to pay 200 euros a year for dudebro copypasta games because I enjoy some of the games these AAA monsters are releasing.

Jus say no! (Please)

Binabik15

“Often, people are only interested in one brand from a publisher, so they don’t look for other brands. When you buy into something like Access, you can try other things for free and discover other things you like. It’s a way to make sure gamers can get more info on what we do and the diversity of our portfolio.”

If only there was a way to get potential customers to try your games. You could slice out segments of the games that represents the end product and distribute them on discs and digitally. Call them representations or repos for short. This could be huuuge. Think about it, there could even be a repo section in online stores or publisher websites.

Brb, patenting this idea.

Papilloma

I genuinely don't understand the hate for this. It is an option, if it doesn't represent value to you then you don't need to take the subscription and you can still buy the games you want that you want.

It may come with additional benefits if you do subscribe, but you can factor this into whether it is worth it.

Tobor

Yeah, I think it's actually a pretty good option for its target audience.

I don't really get the hate toward season passes or DLC either, which tend to get a lot of backlash.

It's devaluing the subscription services we already pay for.

Old Battlefield and Madden games should be PS+ or Gold whatever.

Now they're going to be segregated behind multiple subscriptions.

Yoshida's response to EA Access

I'd like to talk about the EA Access issue. Sony put out a strongly-worded statement that suggested it wasn't good value for PlayStation customers. The reaction from some was, we'd like that decision for ourselves. We'd like the choice. How do you feel about that reaction?

The statement might look aggressive. But the thinking behind it is, we just do not look at one proposition, like EA Access. We look at the whole offering of the titles or services on the platform, and we thought about the impact of having something like that as a new symptom. If every publisher follows suit, and as a consumer you have to choose by publisher which service to subscribe to, that's not something we believe is best for consumers.

So we are not just looking at that one proposition. We were thinking about the impact that might have for the future offering of products and services on PlayStation.

T.O.P

Banned
For 4$ i got to play Peggle2, Fifa and BF4 for a month. Why should i be outraged again?

It's not like i can't buy a full game anymore, jesus

If it's similar in pricing to EA Access (£20 a year plus 10% discount on all games purchased), I wouldn't be against giving it a shot.

With how many games I buy a year, it'd save me a ton of money in the long run I think.

Sorc3r3r

I think most of the hate comes from the fact that its EA and that it could possibly, maybe, possibly not but still might lead to a situation where major content is barred behind subscriptions. Something I don't think will happen.

It will happen.

How they are going to sell those wonderful subs instead?
Value once for all will be locked behind a gate made of money.

It's devaluing the subscription services we already pay for.

Old Battlefield and Madden games should be PS+ or Gold whatever.

Now they're going to be segregated behind multiple subscriptions.

PS+ and Games with Gold only give so many games every month.

I want more options, and more games, and more variety. If BF4 isn't in GwG it will open a spot for some other game.

You don't lose anything from PS+ or GwG. Those services will still offer what they offer. This is more.

Tripon

I just don't see how there will be enough content for people to subscribe to en masse that would justify such a program.

jem0208

Why the heck not? Six years ago we were laughing at the possibility of games existing solely to push microtransactions. "They'd never be that crazy."

Well, now it's the sad reality. Odds are, EA and folks calculated what they would need to do to lock everyone behind subscription packages before they even started this thing.
By major content I mean full games. I can never see a pub putting a full game behind a sub. There's just no way that would earn them more money than by making players purchase the game normally.

A-V-B

It will happen.

How they are going to sell those wonderful subs instead?
Value once for all will be locked behind a gate made of money.

Until they crash the damn industry... but I dunno, maybe they've got enough "whales," in gambling parlance, to make it work.

jesu

Oh no, not another collection of oldish games I can get for cheap, whilst at the same time still be able to new games just as I usually do.
What a nightmare.

Well, this is depressing, but not surprising. As long as I can buy the games separate from the service then it won't affect me any, but if they start locking exclusive content behind it, that would piss me off.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, while I don't see anything inherintly wrong with the subscription concept (I like Netflix's concept), I hope publishers don't try to do way too much with it. Having subs piling up for different publishers is not healthy in the end, people would be scared by the prices for all the services summed up. I think they can exist, but they need to justify themselves (by offering a wide range of titles, from the oldest to the most recent; by offering discounts for digital spending / early access; by offering some exclusives - like a digital exclusive being playable first on that service and then, around one month later, being available elsewhere) without trying to force customers to adopt them. IMHO, signs of trying to justify such services in bad ways would be releasing demos for free "in the old way", cutting gameplay sessions /content for those who don't sub one of those service, not making titles available elsewhere in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise, subbing these services will be seen as something less pleasant and more as forced.

SmokyDave

Hmmm. For now, it ain't an issue. In the future though, I have to wonder how they'll incentivise subscriptions.

Yep lets all hate on better value...
All too often this 'value' is created by taking things away from non-subscribers, rather than giving things to those that subscribe.

A-V-B

By major content I mean full games. I can never see a pub putting a full game behind a sub. There's just no way that would earn them more money than by making players purchase the game normally.

My bet? They think they'll still get all their "impulse" purchases on gobs of microtransactions. Pay for the subscription... then online gamble the rest of your leisure money away on dlc.

starmud

If this builds steam and works, it has to be incorporated somehow into the first party/console holders network. You can't have every publisher as an addition. Eventually they'll have to work on a group plan that's a shared venture, at least when It comes to access.

This model follows suit to how some see consoles becoming a gateway versus a set top box clone, I'm sure it won't be the only new model explored between now and next gen.

Top Bottom