• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Made The Best Naruto Games - The Broken Bond / Rise of a Ninja

Kokonoe

Banned
Throughout the years, I've played practically every Naruto game. From Naruto Gekitou to Ultimate Ninja, Ninja Council to Path of Ninja (the list goes on), and the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. The one, well, two, Naruto games that really did blow me away, far more than any other Naruto game did were The Broken Bond and Rise of a Ninja.

These games are beautiful, and just have so many great things going for them that I absolutely love. They have original story content that is believable (aka game filler) with actual voice acting in the original content. The games use the OST from the anime, stuff like these and many more.

The Rising Fighting Spirit
Main Theme
Strong and Strike

The game goes from exploring in third person adventure mode into a 2D/3D fighting game for combat. The combat in this game is mainly focused on melee, something I missed strongly when playing Ultimate Ninja Storm. It's all about getting down and dirty, which is just right up my alley.

ibgjYvPvRMADRQ.gif

As I mentioned before, this is also an adventure game. You explore and have many objectives you can do in a 1:1 replica of Konoha, but there's actually more towns and areas in the game where you go out and essentially do what one would do in the Naruto world.

idhhDAjlvSwhb.gif

When you wish to travel outside of town to a new area, you travel in the same way (as stated above) Naruto would by hopping off trees and leaping forward.

i5FmxJ3vEVUq.gif

The game has you overcoming obstacles and uses platforming, but what I found especially cool was that you can use the characters abilities from Naruto to overcome said obstacles. You play through pretty much the entire Naruto Konoha cast throughout the storyline, you don't just play as Naruto.

From Neji's Byakugan to avoid traps

ibbgbxexGJUKOL.gif

To Kiba's transformation ability

iyRETEV9fiy8w.gif

to Naruto's Rasengan

i6sTATG5T5jh0.gif

and even combine abilities of the characters, and many more.

ibs6MZ8nQ6OBII.gif

Another thing I really enjoyed about this game is that all of the specials in the game you have to work for, as in, the opponent has a chance to dodge or make the specials not as effective. It's not just "Free". And let me just say that this is by far the coolest "8 Trigrams 64 Palms" animation I've ever seen in a Naruto game.

iL50xAIGFExzQ.gif

All of the specials in the game can be found at this youtube link.

Naruto: The Broken Bond: All Jutsu's (720P)

The game also features online play, and it has 2 vs 2 online. Literally meaning you can have to of your friends VS two of your other friends, so 4 players online. There are also a few mini games such as fishing and darts which were referenced to when Naruto first met Jaraiya.

Sadly, there is one truly unfortunate thing about this game, it's not really well known and for a good reason, it is an Xbox 360 exclusive. I feel this game deserves more credit than it gets, it really is a magnificent game and it actually is my favorite game on Xbox 360. I'd love to have another one by Ubisoft.

I played the Broken Bond.

It was good at times, and looked really pretty. But man, how many of the same repetitive filler quests can you have? Spend over half the game running around doing fetch quests and going through the same tree sequences. It left much to be desired, IMO.

I never liked Naruto the series, but I really liked the exploration aspect of Rise of a Ninja.

I just didn't enjoy the fighting. I wished the whole thing could have been in that action-adventure style. Gorgeous graphics at the time, too.

I have only played Rise of the Ninja and it was pretty fun. I really enjoyed being able to explore the village. Hopefully one day I will get to play The Broken Bond and have just as much fun.

Ein Bear

Jiraiya's hilariously terrible replacement voice actor in the first game has been a running joke amongst my circle of friends for years.

The games have a wonderful concept, its how the story modes in the ninja storm series should of went. Not just walking to point A to B but use jutsu in the open and stuff. Unfortunantely they were just good for what they were. The games could be very annoying and stupid because of limits and filler stuff but whatever. Regardless I prefer the fighting here and story(gameplay) here than ninja storm games. The fighting was pretty good and felt tight. Ninja storm is clown fights where you run away from the opponent and spam kunai and support so you can drain the substitution bar.

It was Massimo Guarini who was the creative director I believe.

He went on to do Shadows of the Damned.

And now he's at Ovosonico.

MCD

I watched Naruto and still read the manga because of Ubi games.

Ubi know their fetch quests and collecthon better than anyone.

Kokonoe

Banned
The Ultimate Ninja Storm series' gameplay makes Ubisoft's efforts look laughable.

So stiff.

I'd actually argue Ultimate Ninja Storm is "stiff". You're so focused on your target and it feels so uncomfortable to do anything outside doing the basic combo or basic jutsu. I mean, I like the games, but they are far from being anywhere near as technical as Rise of a Ninja or The Broken Bond.

i disagree.
the ubisoft naruto game lacked the fast paced action that was in the cyberconnect game on ps2.
and the adventure part didn't make me feel like i was playing a naruto game . (making kage bunshins to form a bridge and pass , really ? )

Not that it was a bad attempt , but i honnestly disagree on the adventure factor especially.
in term of adventure the storm 1 & 2 games did better.

Talon

Felt like a Zelda game for babies. Very simple but competent game with a nice fighting game mechanic thrown in.

inner-G

Banned
I respectfully disagree.

CC2 Or bust for me. Only their games 'feel' right to me. The combat was weird to me in the Ubi gamse. They had the hand seal memorization stuff and the movement just felt weird.

Kokonoe

Banned
That was a great fighting game, but Rise of a Ninja was a different beast. I never played Broken Bond.

I've played a bit of Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (not too much, as it goes past where I'm up to), but the "RPG" mode of that just isn't the same.

Definitely agree there.

I actually enjoy Gekitou more than UNS. Combat is fun, but I also agree about the depth in RoaN. Actually, The Broken Bond improved a lot of things over Rise of a Ninja, it's worth checking out. It completes the second half of the first series as it's a direct sequel to Rise of a Ninja.

Broken Bond is really bad. They didn't even bothered to add cutscenes, just slapped clips of the anime. Pure franchise milking.

Rise of a Ninja was nice step up from it but Ultimate Ninja Storm series by CyberConnect plays in a different league: I was blown away by how seamlessly the fights transition to the quicktime "anime actions" sequences. If they could bring back the exploring sections and tweak them the series would be just perfect.

They're so good, because they're labours of love. The POP team from last gen were basically given a green light by Ubi to make what ever game they chose next and they went with Naruto.
The fighting mechanics are a little basic and the graphics are not as good as Ninja Storm, but they're much better at telling the Naruto tale up the time skip.

You know the one of the best things about Broken Bond?
How the demo is a prequel and isn['t actually in the final game, that was a cool little touch from Ubi.

Broken Bond is really bad. They didn't even bothered to add cutscenes, just slapped clips of the anime. Pure franchise milking.

Rise of a Ninja was nice step up from it but Ultimate Ninja Storm series by CyberConnect plays in a different league: I was blown away by how seamlessly the fights transition to the quicktime "anime actions" sequences. If they could bring back the exploring sections and tweak them the series would be just perfect.

lol, you have the games mixed up. ROAN had the Anime scenes, BB has in game scenes only.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yep, best Naruto games released this gen. Such a shame they stopped before moving to Shippuden.

My man.

They're so good, because they're labours of love. The POP team from last gen were basically given a green light by Ubi to make what ever game they chose next and they went with Naruto.
The fighting mechanics are a little basic and the graphics are not as good as Ninja Storm, but they're much better at telling the Naruto tale up the time skip.

Oh, really? I never knew that. Sweet. They really are. They are so charming, and I do agree, the UNS do have the better graphics, I'd actually like to see another one of these games with UNS graphics. Would be so darn awesome.

You know the one of the best things about Broken Bond?
How the demo is a prequel and isn['t actually in the final game, that was a cool little touch from Ubi.

I actually didn't know that. lol (or if I did I forgot) I actually picked up the game randomly at the store one day, before I was ever into Naruto and this is in the game that got me into the series. I always shrugged the series off, but the story mode and the mechanics around it really charmed me.

Top Bottom