• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft releasing four AAA games between April 2017 and March 2018, revealing in May

Chobel

BTW, are we sure Far Cry 5 is a thing? It doesn't fit the new strategy of Ubisoft which is all about online service games.

Ashtar

To be fair. Ubi games often disappoint and I'm a fan of them. But look how the division dropped off. Just because they are both pirate games doesn't mean Ubi is destined to be the successful one
I'd put a lot more stake into a game built on the ac4 ac3 pirate engine than the first person sea of thieves thing, I think if it's true they won't really be going after the same audience, one is a jokey game the other would be an actual pirate simulator I think

Given rare's track record, they couldn't succeed even if they really tried.

Luck nor fate are on their side.

There is no track record. Their last serious game was Nuts & Bolts in 2008 and that overall wasn't a bad game. Sea of Thieves is like their first major game in almost 10 years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BTW, are we sure Far Cry 5 is a thing? It doesn't fit the new strategy of Ubisoft which is all about online service games.

To my knowledge, the idea behind Primal was to give out a game in the interim while they turned Far Cry into a service game with Far Cry 5.

It was going to be a longer process, and Ubisoft didn't have much to release, so it was filler game time.

I could be wrong.

Absolutely. They went out of their way to talk on the call about how Primal was a big success. And that game was a spin off.

I expect Far Cry 5 to extensively add Co-op / expansion options. 4 already had some Co-op but I expect 5 to take that much further

Griss

Sounds like I'd be interested in all four of those games.

To my knowledge, the idea behind Primal was to give out a game in the interim while they turned Far Cry into a service game with Far Cry 5.

It was going to be a longer process, and Ubisoft didn't have much to release, so it was filler game time.

I could be wrong.

What do we mean by a 'service game' as it would pertain to a Far Cry or an AC?

How does one turn those games into a service model? Is it the Hitman model? Something else? A lack of single-player main story in exchange for weekly events in the open world?

Just wondering what you think the adjustment to the game design could be.

I could be wrong.

Wasn't their a survey released last year hinting that the next Far Cry game could be in the future with vampires or something?

Damn. Assassin's Creed gonna end up a MMO lite isn't it?

Whatever, give me South Park, then lose control.

Wasn't their a survey released last year hinting that the next Far Cry game could be in the future with vampires or something?

It was a survey that had real life locations, and fanasty ones. There was stll thought that Blood Dragon 2 might use those, but that doesn't seem likely anymore.

blakep267

How does one turn those games into a service model? Is it the Hitman model? Something else? A lack of single-player main story in exchange for weekly events in the open world?

They could add an online hub world i.e. Far cry online where you do far cry type things with friends missions etc

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Here's what they were hiring for:

Kotaku said:
Also of note: A Rainbow 6 technical designer says on their CV that they moved to an unannounced Ubisoft Montreal next-gen title in January described as a "online multiplayer open world FPS game focus on social activity and replayability," and last year, a Rainbow 6 designer moved onto "an unnanounced [sic] Ubi shooter" with "item strategy and character progression / RPG mechanics."
Source: http://kotaku.com/the-bizarre-situation-behind-rainbow-6-patriots-1481102723

Ghost Recon is third person, and made in France. The Division is from Sweden. Ubisoft Montreal on the other hand helms Far Cry.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If AssCreed skips another year, I'll be devastated. It was mentioned ~a couple of weeks ago in the Steam thread that some AssCreed fansite owners were invited to Ubi Montreal, but I couldn't find anything to corroborate this.

Falchion

I definitely want more Far Cry with actual guns but I wouldn't mind seeing Splinter Cell to make a transition to something akin to MGSV.

Zukkoyaki

Probably safe to think that Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 5 are two of those with South Park being 100% given for the third.

That fourth one is difficult to pinpoint. Probably the pirate game or a new Splinter Cell like everyone else is thinking.

Also, what happened to Ubisoft Toronto's new IP?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Probably safe to think that Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 5 are two of those with South Park being 100% given for the third.

That fourth one is difficult to pinpoint. Probably the pirate game or a new Splinter Cell like everyone else is thinking.

It's not uncommon for Ubisoft to take 5-6 years to get their new IPs out the door.

It took Watch Dogs, The Division, and The Crew that long (or longer) to make it out.

I'm guessing this is the Space / Sci-Fi game Ubi is working on. Word was its hit some development snags, but considering they just teased it with a traiiler I'm assuming its still coming. We might see it revealed at E3 with a late 2018 release or so.

Are we sure that South Park meets Ubi's definition of AAA? It's a popular IP but the budget can't possibly be nearly as high (or at least it wouldn't be if it weren't constantly delayed).

EpicBox

Wasn't it an Ubisoft exec who once said that the gaming market only has room for about 4 AAA games in a YEAR?

Yoday

For AC they can expand on the co-op that Unity had. It was a really cool concept that wasn't executed particularly well. The whole Assassin's Brotherhood provides the perfect backdrop for co-op missions that can be expanded upon over time. They could very well do a new kind of Assassin's vs Templars PvP as well.

Far Cry is a bit more difficult to imagine, as it's always been about a lone person in a strange place. I imagine Far Cry is going to get a massive overhaul in concept of they want it to be a service based game.

Some Nobody

South Park
Far Cry 5

There was a rumor about FC5 showing up in GS' future titles list, so I'm pretty convinced that game comes out this year. As for what's left:

- Assassin's Creed: Empire
- Wild
- Pirates game
- New IP (Space game?)
- Beyond Good and Evil 2
- Mario x Rabbids (if that's real)

Zhuge also said that they meant to release five new games in the upcoming fiscal year, but one got pushed back. If I had to guess, BGE2 was never going to hit this year in the first place. I want to say that they aren't going to make AC wait another year, particularly if they're working on WD3 and want that out late next year. If that's the case, then I could see Wild being pushed back for another year alongside that space game.

So:

- South Park
- Far Cry 5
- Assassin's Creed: Empire
- New IP/Mario x Rabbids

That's my guess. Plus Just Dance, I guess. Not the most exciting year from these guys and E3 is going to be another case of them showing off a bunch of crap we wont see until the end of this gen. >_<

Vintage

Ubisoft will definitelly have at least 2 games for fall / holiday season. One of them must me AC, other can be mostly anything.

Crixus

A good aaa pirate game excites me the most. I hope it would have a grittier, Witcher'esque art rather than Sea of Thieves' cartoony style. Assassin's Creed is also a day one buy for me.

Top Bottom