• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft security incident [Update your uPlay password]

larvi

Why did they have to tie Heroes of Might and Magic to this? :(

Yep, my mom is in her 70's and loves the HoMM series and this really ruined the games for her as she just wants to put the disc in her computer and play. If she got this email she's probably freaking out, I'll need to call her and hopefully she didn't use the same pw as for her other accounts. I think Yves Guillemot needs to call her personally to see what kind of grief this inflicts on people.

Sojgat

Have to wake up to this shit. Fucking Ubisoft. Uplay is fucking useless anyway. Publisher specific services, just another possible point of failure. Pirates get the better deal again.

L.O.R.D

hi
i just have the same email
the last time i used uplay when i played AC brotherhood on PSN
do i have to change Uplay password or PSN password ?

Aurongel

Got the email this morning about the hacking information breach situation. I only ever used their shitty service to boot into Far Cry 3 on Steam. Those hackers are welcome to my uPlay points, they were only enough to "buy" a single wallpaper anyway...

Mudkips

Banned
Eh LastPass got hacked last year IIRC.

Eh so what? Use a strong password and it doesn't matter if they get the hash. If the hash, salt, and user name were all public, the sun would die out before attackers could get your password.

tborsje

I'm not even gonna bother updating my passwords. Seriously can't be fucked, come at me hackers.

Might look into one of those password solutions some time in the future though. They all play well with Android?

This situation has convinced me to vary my passwords on every site now. It's such a damn mess. I've been wasting hours away at changing passwords. :p

Shai-Tan

Banned
lastpass didn't actually get hacked. they just noticed an irregularity and were being diligent

also you can get around the charge for mobile if you use the javascript applets (not that it's expensive)

Zoc

Gawd.

Last year my uplay account got hacked, with no way for me to recover it. Their email support told me they could give me my account back if I called them, but fuck waiting on hold, long-distance, for an hour when I only paid $2.50 for the game (PoP Forgotten Sands). I emailed Steam and asked them to remove the game from my account.

This morning, I get an email from Uplay telling me to change my password! Apparently the hackers changed everything else about my account, but not that. So I do it, reinstall Uplay, and there's my game! Amazing!

fake edit: I just tried to download and install the game - it sent me to the Steam Store page for it! Argh! So what the fuck is the point of Uplay at all - it's not even a download service! What a fucking cancer.

knitoe

I changed my password, but still can't login to play Steam Farcry Blood Dragon. Is the fucking Uplay working?

Edit: For some reason, had to reinstall Uplay for it to work.

Slavik81

Apparently I had an account... Well, I guess that's now dealt with.

Odd that they didn't email me. This is rather important.

Quasar

Apparently I had an account... Well, I guess that's now dealt with.

Yeah. I was surprised I even had an account. And I can't even see what data was tied to the account it seems.

I discovered to have 2 account. Changed both the password but the first one, where are the games, does not let me login. I am afraid i lose all my silent hunter 5 saves

Last Ubisoft game I played was Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Checked and I don't even have a uplay account.

Success-Kid.jpg

If the hackers could email me my details, coz I have no clue what my login is. I only ever remember I have uplay when I stick an Ubi title in, which is like once a year for AC.

I got Assasin's Creed 2 just a few days ago, had to use a Uplay account and now this happens. Might have to start using LastPass perhaps.

Wolfie5

Got the email, saw this thread and changed password. Sucks to change password :(

Not to worried as I didn´t have anything but 1 game on Uplay through Steam. Sucks that some Steam games are connected to an extra DRM crap.

danielcw

fake edit: I just tried to download and install the game - it sent me to the Steam Store page for it! Argh! So what the fuck is the point of Uplay at all - it's not even a download service! What a fucking cancer.

Games you bought on steam are downloaded and patched via steam, Uplay is only for authentification and friendslists and rewards in that case.
If you bought a Uplay game at retail or on their side it would all be done via Uplay.

If its on console, it'll be your gamertag/psn id email.
Why? It is only about Uplay accounts.

Do they have your current email address?
Is your email address at a public provider that could have many uPlay users, then it might take some time?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Games you bought on steam are downloaded and patched via steam, Uplay is only for authentification and friendslists and rewards in that case.
If you bought a Uplay game at retail or on their side it would all be done via Uplay.

Why? It is only about Uplay accounts.

Do they have your current email address?
Is your email address at a public provider that could have many uPlay users, then it might take some time?

If you use UPlay on a console, an UPlay account is generated on your email address that you have on your gamertag.

I had a strange email by Ubi this morning that I flushed down the crapper since I didn't log into said account for months. Guess I'll check this out.

jsnepo

If you use UPlay on a console, an UPlay account is generated on your email address that you have on your gamertag.

I know I have a Uplay account because I got this Uplay theme for PS3 by completing some objective in Assassin's Creed II. When I try to reset my password, it says the email is not associated to an account.

Sblargh

Banned
#UbisoftNoUplay
Yo, Ubisoft, you like DRM? There's this thing called "Steamworks" you might want to check out.

I'm playing Far Cry 3 right now (and loving the hell out of it, btw) that I did not buy through steam and it is kind of annoying to have Uplay open just for this one game.

Here's two thing that annoy me on Uplay, on the top of my head:
Yet another password gate. As seen on this thread, this is just another stuff that can be hacked. So thanks, Ubi!
Also, their achievment suck so much! Why? This is your proprietary storefront and it does have an achievment system. You make the exact same achievments for Steam, PS3 and Xbox360; why not copy/paste it one more time?
Why am I being penalized for buying your game drectly from you?

(I don't need achievments to show off or anythimg, but they are good for keeping milestones, which is particularly good on open world games where you do so much different stuff. Uplay registers, basically, when I start the game, when I get X% of collectibles, and then when I finish. Why does it even exist in this form?)

I made one for Zombi U 'achievements' I think, I have no idea what my login and password is and I have no idea what email I used but I've had no warning sent to my main one.

Loaded it up once I think, I don't even know what it is really, I think its on my Wii U still.

Not sure I even care? *shrugs* lol.

I hope they get two factor authentication of some sort. Steam at least asks me to verify over e-mail if I try to log onto my account from a new machine. Passwords alone are simply not safe enough for authentication in any system that involves monetary transactions.

danielcw

If that is true, then it changed over time.
I made my Uplay account on Assassin's Creed 2 on Xbox 360 the Christmas holiday after it had been released.
I defintely could choose a different email address back then, because I used my secondary on purpose, and the my gamertag used a different liveID

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I got five of these emails, because I keep making uplay accounts since I keep forgetting I have them.

I don't know which one of these is my "main" account either. Fuck it, I don't care about my assassins creed 3 info.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Lastpass: Free on your computer, $1/month on your mobile, they store your data.

1password: Absurdly expensive but beautiful and very easy to used, upfront app cost on your mobile, you store your own data and sync it using whatever service you want (Dropbox). Also major version upgrades (every 2-3 years) require you to re-buy.

Keepass: I think totally free, but not sure what your mobile options are.

I use 1password but I wouldn't if I had had to pay for it.

Having tested each, and being cheap, I'm going for KeePass 2.x personally and am using iPhone/iPad compatible MiniKeePass (https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/minikeepass-secure-password/id451661808?mt=8) with it for my iOS devices, syncs via Dropbox.

I previously used 1Password, the previous incarnation of it that is, and I haven't re-bought the current one due to it's steep price.

Top Bottom