• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft waited a month before adding xp boost MTX to AC: Valhalla

Status
Not open for further replies.

kretos

Banned
I mean if you want to pretend you know what you're talking about i'll just keep correcting you. It's not exactly difficult to do
Tell me again how it doesn't affect you progressing through the game when I haven't once argued that it does. You are terrible at this.

GranularTeemingHarborseal.gif

SinDelta

IntentionalPun IntentionalPun

So if I don't like MTX transactions in a Ubisoft game or the concept of MTX or Ubisoft delaying MTX until after the review period that makes me...anti-union?

Pretty sound logic.

Last edited:

Mhmmm 2077

See CDPR? Watch and learn. Releasing the good PC version and then after a month the buggy console versions would make more sense.

oagboghi2

If people want to harm themselves, that's their issue IMO.

I've literally never bought a microtransaction, and never played a game where I thought microtransactions made it worse. I know some games have been designed to fuck you over if you don't spend, those games suck... but beyond that, I love RPG/leveling mechanics.. so if microtransactions are motivating devs to put those mechanics in.. the more the merrier.
This doesn't encourage them to put in a functional rpg system. It does the opposite. They release a broken system and sell the fix

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This doesn't encourage to put in a functional rpg system. It does the opposite. They release a broken system and sell the fix
I've never had that problem though; including with Ubisoft games.

Played loads of games with paid "boosters" and I've enjoyed the grind sans-boosters.

DjMystix

Took me 55 something hour to finish Valhalla and I felt like I was quite OP for the most part. Don't think this is needed but I honestly do not see anything wrong with it either. I am 43 year old and I game on all platforms and buy (and go through) most games. I am sure I am not the only one who wouldn't mind getting these kind of boosters to "speed things up" so I can get to the end quicker. I bought that in Odyssey and would've bought it in Valhalla too if it was available at launch.

oagboghi2

I've never had that problem though; including with Ubisoft games.

Played loads of games with paid "boosters" and I've enjoyed the grind sans-boosters.
Whether or not you enjoy the grind doesn't change the fact that it is grind.

You would have enjoyed it just the same, maybe more if the original leveling system wasn't purposely broken

IntentionalPun

Whether or not you enjoy the grind doesn't change the fact that it is grind.

You would have enjoyed it just the same, maybe more if the original leveling system wasn't purposely broken
Not sure why you think you know what I would enjoy.

A.Romero

There is obviously no criteria anymore and the public gets offended by everything.

The only moment when MTX is when it's pay to win. Other than that, it's individual choice. Don't like it, don't spend but let everyone else experience the game however they want. Grow up.

Ornlu

Banned
If people want to harm themselves, that's their issue IMO.

I've literally never bought a microtransaction, and never played a game where I thought microtransactions made it worse. I know some games have been designed to fuck you over if you don't spend, those games suck... but beyond that, I love RPG/leveling mechanics.. so if microtransactions are motivating devs to put those mechanics in.. the more the merrier.

What? There's tons of games that are worse off for the current microtransaction systems.

You said MTX makes the game shorter. That's progression.

If a game is intentionally designed to be juuuust grindy enough that a good % of people playing will be tempted to buy something to speed that up, then yes, the game is intentionally bloated.

Some of you are missing the point.

Ubisoft has never been a transparent company in my book but I am indifferent to their monetization in single player games, as many mentioned they usually don't affect gameplay experience.

However, the point is they added it a month later after launch to avoid negative/warning reviews regarding to MTX, which is super shady in my opinion.

Chupanibre

I really don't see the problem with this. Pretty sure they didn't secretly make the game more difficult and then started selling leveling boosters to make it easier again.

These kinds of microtransactions are like horse armor in Oblivion. You don't need it if you're not a whale, so... ignore it and move on?

If a game is intentionally designed to be juuuust grindy enough that a good % of people playing will be tempted to buy something to speed that up, then yes, the game is intentionally bloated.

The grind in this game is practically non existent

Or there is grind in the sense that every other single open world RPG has grind

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Not sure why you think you know what I would enjoy.
Did you enjoy the game less after you bought the booster? You said you like your games with and without it, so why not buy the game with the exp system correctly implemented, instead of buying a fix?

What was the point of paying that 10 dollars?

The grind in this game is practically non existent

So they are selling a useless fix. Good job Ubisoft

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Did you enjoy the game less after you bought the booster? You said you like your games with and without it, so why not buy the game with the exp system correctly implemented, instead of buying a fix?

What was the point of paying that 10 dollars?

I have never bought a microtransaction, let alone a booster. Not sure where the mixup was; I was just saying I've never played a game where I thought "man I wish I was leveling faster."

I often avoid in-game XP boosts too (I don't prioritize XP boost when equipping gear in an RPG, and generally try to avoid those items unless they have some other stat I really want.)

Last edited:
This is what, the 4th time you demonstrated that you don't get my point? Outstanding work. Take a bow.

You've just said it's bloated and that's it

Bloated because there's alot to do?

Bloated because you have to grind to get things finished?

You can't blame other people because you suck ass at explaining your own point

Go take an english writing lesson I guess?

Last edited:

Nester99

Pretty shady move to dodge the initial review critique on MTX imo.

This is why scores for live service games need also to be updated with time. No man's sky definitely deserves better than 61 MC score now while Valhalla should be critiqued by such shady move.

Mtx was in on day one, what are you talking about? You could by outfits and with helix credits etc.

shady company does shady things

what else is new

and people saying they have no problem with it are completely delusional. It's like saying "I'm fine with cocaine because it doesn't affect me". They added mtx after release because they know full well it would generate bad press and backlash. Booster also affects game design because it is in their best interest to add more grind or make it harder to grind to encourage people to buy boosters.

oagboghi2

Oh hey just what we needed, another thread whining about Ubisoft.
Oh hey, another situation where Ubisoft acts shady and stupid.

Mtx was in on day one, what are you talking about? You could by outfits and with helix credits etc.

Boosters weren't in day one.

It's obvious they didn't put them in their because they didn't want the backlash they got from Odyssey and Ghost Recon.

New Ubisoft is still the same old ubisoft

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

If it's like Odyssey, then it's pointless. There was enough "bloat" in that game that you couldn't walk 5 inches before hitting an activity that awarded xp. There was so much shit to do that you'd level like a goddamn maniac. You would have to willingly and intentionally avoid every single side activity to ever fall behind on xp and need an MTX boost.

It's there for whales. And people stupid enough to buy a $60 dollar game that they then end up not playing. I thought that was pretty obvious at this point. It's not like the AC formula is some kind of super secret.

You've just said it's bloated and that's it

Bloated because there's alot to do?

Bloated because you have to grind to get things finished?

You can't blame other people because you suck ass at explaining your own point

Go take an english writing lesson I guess?
If you're going to tell someone to take an English lesson, don't use a lower case 'e'.

I blame your teachers, actually. Your comprehension skills are appalling.

Company intentionally bloats game to the point where they can successfully sell MTX to people who want to play the game, but don't have the time to put into grinding. If they didn't do that, the gaming experience would be completely different.

Now go ahead, "duh, but progression, ur dumb lulz"

I'm done with you. Ugh.

Last edited:
If you're going to tell someone to take an English lesson, don't use a lower case 'e'.

I blame your teachers, actually. Your comprehension skills are appalling.

Company intentionally bloats game to the point where they can successfully sell MTX to people who want to play the game, but don't have the time to put into grinding. If they didn't do that, the gaming experience would be completely different.

Now go ahead, "duh, but progression, ur dumb lulz"

I'm done with you. Ugh.

You're still not telling me what the bloat is

Again, state your point clearly. I can get away with a bit of bad spelling, but if you struggle this much just to get your basic points across then good luck in life lmao

Last edited:
i bought that mtx on odyssey and I was hoping it was there for Valhalla. time is precious! Took me 70 hours to get through valhalla!
So, you buy a video game and then also look forward to buying 'time savers' to save you from playing that game? I mean, I guess this level of genius is expected from someone who still buys AC games.

Nester99

Cosmetic vs. gameplay impact, what are you talking about ?

Micro transactions.

You said they dodged reviews by not adding micro transaction in until a month later.
Thats not true. MTX was in from launch.

They had them from the start, thus any reviewer could comment on them.

Sure they added XP boost but wtf is that, its nothing. not worthy of extra criticism as they are abundant in these games.

I finished this game at level 350+ and skipped so much of the bloat,
Getting levels did not really help you as you could just endless swap your skills around and things like health and power are tied to skills. Quests gave so much exp i would accrue like 8-10 skill points before even bothering to place them.

I reject your entire premises that they dodge criticism by adding boost later. No one would have criticized them for that as that same product has been around for many games now and is reluctantly accepted.

BTW - buy this game on sale for $20 next Black Friday or just sub to UBI+ for $15 and beat it in a month. its not worth full pull

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
valhalla? no police ai. can't talk about life with npcs. in fact i cant even kill more than 3 civilians without getting desync. the world feels dead and empty. can't enter every house. can't sit on every chair this is not immersive and doesn't make sense. lackluster progression mechanics. it's called assassins creed and i'm literally going with an axe killing people head on. AND NOW MTX? 3/10 at least it runs on last gen systems.

notseqi

Sure they added XP boost but wtf is that, its nothing. not worthy of extra criticism as they are abundant in these games.
DING DING DING! We got a winner!

Getting everybody used to MTX and these kinds of forced dealing with it is shady as fuck. Not sure how it's applied here but I bet it's in the foreground quite a bit.

Can someone explain to me The Bloody-Nine The Bloody-Nine is refering to when he talks about bloat? My english comprehension skills aren't good enough yet to read minds but i'll get there soon enough.
I guess nobody is as interested as you, just drop it.

valhalla? no police ai. can't talk about life with npcs. in fact i cant even kill more than 3 civilians without getting desync. the world feels dead and empty. can't enter every house. can't sit on every chair this is not immersive and doesn't make sense. lackluster progression mechanics. it's called assassins creed and i'm literally going with an axe killing people head on. AND NOW MTX? 3/10 at least it runs on last gen systems.

The negative reception to Cyberpunk is driving you crazy lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom