• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: WW2, Japan and Egypt are "the three worst settings for AC game".

Saty

Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of AC3 said this to OXM:
People on the internet suggest the most boring settings," Hutchinson mused when we asked him whether he'd considered certain hotly demanded alternatives. "The three most wanted are WWII, feudal Japan and Egypt. They're kind of the three worst settings for an AC game."
No elaborations were made, but at least there's interest in India:
Hutchinson has time for India, at least. "[Assassin's Creed 3 writer Corey May] really wants to do India, " he told us, less the square brackets. "I would too. I'd really love to do the Raj."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/40413/ubisoft-...e-worst-settings-for-an-assassins-creed-game/

sakipon

He's obviously exaggerating, but I do agree those settings to be boring as in overused. No offence to anyone wishing for them.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
And setting 3 games in Italy was so refreshing.

Carbonox

Egypt would be interesting but not that appealing. Japan would be awesome IMO and WWII would actually be a very interesting scenario to use.

So I guess I disagree with him.

Saty

Weren't this locations listed in Ubisoft's own internal surveys for possible locations in future games?

Kunan

He says feudal Japan which, to be honest, has been done to death. A modern day one in Japan would be ace though. India and China would be absolutely ace.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
China pls.

Only if you have this as a weapon
master1tl18ik3y.gif

If they ever go to Japan, I'd like to see the Bakumutsu period.

Also, I don't think any of the three settings are particularly bad. Many different facets have yet to be explored by video games.

zlatko

Banned
Yo fuck them. Japan would've been god like. Ninjas, samurai's, getting gayshas(spelling?) to work for you and help you assassinate peeps during tea drinking at a gaysha house, etc.

THAT game I would play the fuck out of. No questions asked. ACbhood, Rev, and AC3 aren't doing it for me. AC1 and 2 I enjoyed, but I dropped bhood about 4 hours into it.

They need to lay off this yearly shit seriously. The numbers must be there in sales #'s though if they keep hammering them out.

Well, Egypt sounds weird, but WWII and feudal Japan could have been very cool. Awesome even. I mean nobody is saying this should be a FPS only because it's set during WWII, so I'm not quite sure what his problem is. Especially because the American Revolution setting does not necessarily scream "excitement" on its own either. Only the addition of that whole assassins/templar scenario which makes that idea cool and that could have worked just as well in many other settings.

CrazyDude

Yo fuck them. Japan would've been god like. Ninjas, samurai's, getting gayshas(spelling?) to work for you and help you assassinate peeps during tea drinking at a gaysha house, etc.

THAT game I would play the fuck out of. No questions asked. ACbhood, Rev, and AC3 aren't doing it for me. AC1 and 2 I enjoyed, but I dropped bhood about 4 hours into it.

They need to lay off this yearly shit seriously. The numbers must be there in sales #'s though if they keep hammering them out.

Fuck Japan. It has been done so many times before that it is boring. I am tired of ninja and samurais.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really ancient India has potential. Their mythology has lots of references to spacecrafts and such which could be interesting but it would be hard to base it of anything of substance. Wish more games explored straight up mythology other than the greek one.

GrayFoxPL

Feudal Japan would be a worst setting for game about assassination and stealth while looking badass? Mmm'kay

Dealing sneaky and cool deaths to nazis during occupation sounds great too, but what do I know?

Feudal Japan would be boring? The FUCK?

I can easily imagine being a badass samurai.

Egypt would be just as amazing. Exploring cities and the countryside during pharaoh ruled era sounds incredible.

demolitio

Shogun 2 convinced me Japan would've been badass although it wouldn't make much sense to Desmond unless his ancestor was a foreign adviser or something...lol

kuYuri

The director kind of expanded on this on PS Blogcast, saying that WWII and feudal Japan has been done before. I can understand this, but how many games in the last decade or more ever took place extensively in ancient Egypt?

Roto13

WW2 is so overdone.

Potential for AC settings are all about the cities and buildings. Also the whole "OMG NINJAS" crowd would be really disappointed with a ninja game grounded in reality. (Minus the apocalypse stuff.)
And setting 3 games in Italy was so refreshing.

Two.

Top Bottom