• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Aug 29, 2009
Montevideo, Uruguay
steamcommunity.com
as spotted by Knurek, thought it deserved its own thread

this is how they're saying heroes of might and magic III looked to make the HD improvement seem that much more significant

uhhh what

edit: how the original HOMM3 really looked like

PdotMichael

Banned
Feb 9, 2011
New? lol

http://revolutionmedia.ign.com/revolution/image/article/704/704040/e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034051480.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

So many and long discussions about the Wii being on par with the PS3 and Xbox 360 (just not HD!) based on the Red Bull bullshots.

Good memories.

Poodlestrike

Banned
May 28, 2014
is the title that confusing? everyone does bullshots, but rather than making the newer game look better than what it ends up looking, the "new" refers to making the older game look worse
Yeah, should probably put that "what it really looked like" image in the OP.

Rayge

Jan 22, 2011
North Carolina
I think he's talking about a new way of bullshot ting where they make the original look worse than what it really was.

They did blow the pixel up. That always makes things look worse, but I don't think they did it on purpose. Maybe they did.

TheMoon

Jul 1, 2014
The fake-old pixel art looks better than the actual old screenshot you posted. Also looks better than the "new" style.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Jul 21, 2013
st. louis
is the title that confusing? everyone does bullshots, but rather than making the newer game look better than what it ends up looking, the "new" refers to making the older game look worse
you didnt provide a comparison when people like me didnt know what M&M3 looked like

Nabbis

Sep 8, 2014
Are there really no false advertisement laws or court rulings that might give grounds to a lawsuit? This is taking an old existing product and falsely changing it.

f0lken

Oct 27, 2011
It took me a moment to see what you were saying, perhaps "new/updated bullshot techique" would've been a better title

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so basically a mild color pallete swap lol

capitalCORN

Apr 15, 2005
Those HOMM sprites must have been from the DOS prototype they were working on...
Also I love how the Red Steel shot even features fake, nonsensical aliasing.

sobaka770

Jun 25, 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
I don't know if it's possible with HoMM engine (2D sprites), but I'd like to see the final version, especially whether the "HD" actually means higher resolution pseudo-3D models for modern screens.

I thought the video looked weird, though.

So you're saying that they faked it by creating whole new pixel art for the characters/enemies that made them look worse than they actually did?

Not familiar with the game at all but could it have had a low quality setting on the original that made them look different or perhaps a different version entirely?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Jul 6, 2012
At this point I can't be surprised by this stuff anymore. It's scummy, but sadly I've grown to expect things like this.

Zevenberge

Jul 1, 2012
I got to give them bonus points for creativity.

Actually, scratch that.They'd be better of putting that creativity into their games.

Sep 12, 2013
Ubisoft should get out of the business of making games and into the business of professionally bullshotting for other publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.