• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's shares plunge 22%

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
A Ubisoft Tom Clancy game getting a massive delay and then resurfacing nothing like the original vision? ;)

Given the huge amount of money already spent marketing this game, as one of the premier games of this fall, and aligning themselves very squarely with Sony as a co marketed PS4 game, this must have been delayed because it badly needed it, nothing with balls or fiscal quarter targets, no other reason.

Yeah, it must have been in bad shape. I can't imagine Sony is too upset since it's release in April helps Sony through a AAA game drought around that time. Watch Dogs and Destiny will fill that space nicely until The Order is ready.

Ubisoft's Fiscal Year begins April 1st, 2013 and ends March 31st, 2014.

1) Before, with a major revenue source like Watch_Dogs:

Ubisoft's targeted sales goal was €1,420 million - €1,450 million
Ubisoft's targeted non-IFRS operating income goal was €110 million and €125 million

2) Now, without the major revenue source:

Ubisoft's targeted sales goal is €995 million - €1,045 million
Ubisoft's targeted non-IFRS operating LOSS goal is €(70) million and €(40) million

3) Ubisoft has admitted that Splinter Cell (a major IP stable) has underperformed, creating doubt into the stability of other Ubisoft IPs

4) Ubisoft has jeopardized their bundle deal with Sony by delaying Watch_Dogs, putting a future source of potential profits into question

It really is the perfect storm of Ubisoft screwups at the moment. No wonder shares are down so much.

I'm sure they knew delaying Watch_Dogs (Edit: And I suppose The Agency, though there was no real date yet announced) would be bad for the company, but I doubt they imagined a drop this big. I personally continue to have zero faith in Ubisoft. Just because you're huge and employ massive amounts of employees doesn't mean you're headed in the right direction. We'll see what this gen holds for Ubi.

Laieon

If I knew how to buy stock, I'd pick some shares up.

I'm surprised they they screwed up so badly, because for awhile there it seemed like they were doing everything right.

Conor 419

Banned
I don't see why an investor shouldn't take this as a sign of incompetence in a company and sign that they should maybe sell that company's stock.

Because what reason do we have to believe that Ubisoft are incompetent outside of this? If some dopey as fuck analyst decides that this alone is enough reason to sell shares in a company then it's the fucking analyst who's incompetent, Ubisofts track record for the last few years has been incredible, they are perhaps the most capable third party publisher in the industry.

Want a good industry example of incompetence?

Microsoft.

AHA-Lambda

I don't see why an investor shouldn't take this as a sign of incompetence in a company and sign that they should maybe sell that company's stock.

That's not how stocks work. Funnily enough, much like big companies, stock and shares are only looking for short term profit, if investors hear bad news like the delay of a major AAA title for the fall release, it's bad news for them.

Bad news drives down share prices, so unless they want to stick with Ubi for the long haul, they'll sell so they don't lose money.

None of this has anything to do with long term business strategies or portfolios; it's why you'll see some analysts say a certain company is undervalued relative to its trading value, as they are taking into account the long term picture of the company and the stock price will reflect that in the future.

EDIT: sorry, read that as "should take this a sign"

Red Mage

Ubisoft's Fiscal Year begins April 1st, 2013 and ends March 31st, 2014.

1) Before, with a major revenue source like Watch_Dogs:

Ubisoft's targeted sales goal was €1,420 million - €1,450 million
Ubisoft's targeted non-IFRS operating income goal was €110 million and €125 million

2) Now, without the major revenue source:

Ubisoft's targeted sales goal is €995 million - €1,045 million
Ubisoft's targeted non-IFRS operating LOSS goal is €(70) million and €(40) million

3) Ubisoft has admitted that Splinter Cell (a major IP stable) has underperformed, drawing doubt into the stability of other Ubisoft IPs

4) Ubisoft has jeopardized their bundle deal with Sony by delaying Watch_Dogs, putting a future source of potential profits into question

It really is the perfect storm of Ubisoft screwups at the moment. No wonder shares are down so much.

Yep. I think the people who are confused about why this hurt them so much don't realize that it wasn't just Watch Dogs, but the under performance of other IPs AND them pissing off their partners.

codhand

FYI unless you live in France you cant buy, US and other markets, please realize youre not actually buying ubisoft but just a "parallel market" ticker....

"which, while legal, are unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended by the original manufacturer"

Jachaos

I wanna play this! Every button just makes doge turn to the camera and stare. All ingame font is comic sans.

I really wonder what's going on at Ubi. Is trying to make another yearly super game with multiple studios causing this?

I think they'd like to have two big open-world games a year, so even though it seems like it might hurt now, Watch_Dogs in the Spring and Assassin's Creed in Fall could be good for them, with their smaller titles like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts, and other games like The Crew, Just Dance, Tom Clancy games, etc. adding to the 2014 schedule.

I mean just over 2 weeks ago we were learning they've invested 373M$ to create 500 new jobs here in Montréal (Warner Brothers Interactive also invested 63M$ and create 100 new jobs). I don't think it's in their plan to not release two big Ubisoft Montréal games a year and few smaller projects.

Because what reason do we have to believe that Ubisoft are incompetent outside of this? If some dopey as fuck analyst decides that this alone is enough reason to sell shares in a company then it's the fucking analyst who's incompetent, Ubisofts track record for the last few years has been incredible, they are perhaps the most capable third party publisher in the industry.

Want a good industry example of incompetence?

Microsoft.

IIRC, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Brothers in Arms, and Rainbow Six each went through so many reboots and so much development hell that Ubisoft managed to kill or heavily diminish all of those series in this gen.

They've done really well at keeping Assassin's Creed and Just Dance selling, but I don't think they've shown that much competence elsewhere.

edit: Far Cry 3 was a success as well so there is that, but they delayed that for an entire year as well.

Skmyyy5.jpg

Screaming

Conor 419

Banned
IIRC, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Brothers in Arms, and Rainbow Six each went through so many reboots and so much development hell that Ubisoft managed to kill or heavily diminish all of those series in this gen.

They've done really well at keeping Assassin's Creed and Just Dance selling, but I don't think they've shown that much competence elsewhere.

edit: Far Cry 3 was a success as well so there is that, but they delayed that for an entire year as well.

Boom

So, what's the best way to buy some stock these days? At 8 Euro I could buy some and hold it for a bit...
Are you in the US? If so, your online account will need to allow foreign exchange trades (uncommon). The stock is available as an ADR state side though, (call sign UBSFY) which anyone should be able to purchase as a limit order.

I'm not sure AC4 will perform as well as they expect either. A lot of people will be on the fence as to whether they should wait to play the next gen version, and those who do go next gen will focus on first party efforts perhaps shooters.

I think JD4 will keep the lights on, though.
Was exactly my thought....Rayman should have just come out when it was supposed too, but they got greedy and it bit them in the ass. Ancel needs to jump ship ASAP.
Rayman is a small game. Always was going to be. Splinter Cell under performing, the death of Tom Clancy perhaps hurts their investment on Tom Clancy games long term. They are starting to look like a THQ after having such a strong last year and investing in new IP. I wonder if it's the EA cycle. They'll double down and go hard on AAA sequels.

IISANDERII

Not sure how I feel about Splinter Cell's disappointing sales; looks like a very good game but the theme of the game seems very off-putting.

antitrop

I wonder if the public is starting to dislike the Ubisoft sandbox games

Far Cry 3 says they're at peak popularity.

I've seen through their bullshit since 2007, but it's clear that the "wider audience" wants more Ubisoft open-world filler bullshit, and they can't get enough of it.

LQX

Was exactly my thought....Rayman should have just come out when it was supposed too, but they got greedy and it bit them in the ass. Ancel needs to jump ship ASAP.

How did releasing it on multiple platforms instead of one bite them in the ass?

njr

According to Google in recent history, the highest their stock has been was around $11 in 2009 and it tanked since then. I would buy these shares for pennies on the dollar if I didn't need it.

Investors, buy TTWO instead, it's going to break out soon on gangbusters GTA V results and maybe some secrets we haven't been told yet. Plus have you noticed all the crazy sales 2K has offered this quarter? Gearing up for monster revenue, I say! I am long.

This was a strategic delay IMHO - Ubi is worried that the IP will underperform - by pushing this release out management gets a small rope/lifeline until Q1 of the next fiscal year which gives them time to prop up earnings and work on marketing

Here is the tough part though: if Watchdogs underperforms when it finally launches - I forecast a >50% drop in the stock by May or June of next year. At that point it wouldn't surprise me if EA tries to buyout Ubi - the French Government probably won't try and stop it from happening.

Activision, Take Two, and Square Enix aren't really in a position to buy Ubi... EA is the only one that might have the cash to do so... Sega and Namco are the only others with the ability to do so but whether they would have any interest is another question entirely...

Skenzin

Banned
Its amazing in a post-COD world ubisoft has not been able to leverage Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon franchises in any meaningful way financial or artistic. Really they could have made RS a slower COD game (which it was anyway). Redstorm was so talented in their prime.

The last Ghost Recon was a mess. A bad Gears of Duty clone. When the original game style of ghost recon would have been a good seller. It just needed a tech update and tweaks.

Of all companies Ubi was in the best position to go after Activisions market share. Instead they focused on churning out Ass Creed yearly.

ced

No surprise, it's horrible business practice to wait until a month before a release and do a delay, twice now. (Rayman anyone?)

Buzzati

Banned
Damn, Ubisoft doesn't offer options.

I'd buy the fuck out of this at this price, so close to the cusp of next gen..

Kazerei

Banned
I'm slightly worried about AC4. I'm sure it will sell millions and be profitable, but will it reach Ubisoft's expectations? Will it grow the franchise or at least maintain its popularity? Anecdotally, I'm just not feeling there's as much hype for AC4 as there was for AC3, even though Ubisoft's been marketing it for months already, which is a bit crazy. On the other hand, Watch Dogs being delayed will give AC4 breathing room this holiday. I dunno... will be interesting to see.

Anecdotally, I'm just not feeling there's as much hype for AC4 as there was for AC3, even though Ubisoft's been marketing it for months already, which is a bit crazy.
I dunno... as an outsider who has never played an AC game, AC4 appeals a lot more to me than AC3 did.

Gaz_RB

Damn I wish Splinter Cell performed better. Ubisoft deserves it.

This might be a good time to buy into Ubisoft though.

Rayman should've came out last year lol and did we need another Splinter Cell.

Did you play it? It was a great game.

Its amazing in a post-COD world ubisoft has not been able to leverage Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon franchises in any meaningful way financial or artistic. Really they could have made RS a slower COD game (which it was anyway). Redstorm was so talented in their prime.

The last Ghost Recon was a mess. A bad Gears of Duty clone. When the original game style of ghost recon would have been a good seller. It just needed a tech update and tweaks.

Of all companies Ubi was in the best position to go after Activisions market share. Instead they focused on churning out Ass Creed yearly.

I loved Ghost Recon Future Soldier. One of my favorite third person shooters.

And the only problem with Rainbow Six right now is that they haven't made Vegas 3 yet.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm slightly worried about AC4. I'm sure it will sell millions and be profitable, but will it reach Ubisoft's expectations? Will it grow the franchise or at least maintain its popularity? Anecdotally, I'm just not feeling there's as much hype for AC4 as there was for AC3
I agree with that, AC3 seems to have hurt the franchise.

Top Bottom