• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ueda posts about TLG

Endo Punk

Wasn't ICO also a troubled PS1 project that moved to PS2?

ICO began development in 1998 and released on PS2 in 2001 after Ueda ran into limitations with the PS1 tech. Ueda didn't want to go through with the project due to not being able to realise his vision so opted to shift development to the PS2. This could very well be a similar situation with TLG.

Either the last great PS3 release or it has been moved to PS4. Either way is good news for me.

A "last great PS3 release" whose release date has yet to be announced even though the PS4 will likely be released this fall?

It's a PS4 game. There's no longer any doubt.

ScOULaris

Why does everyone keep saying PS4? You must be joking. There is no way in hell that they would scrap all these years of PS3 development and start over from scratch on an even more unfamiliar, demanding piece of hardware.

You're out of your mind if you honestly believe that is the case.

Endo Punk

Why does everyone keep saying PS4? You must be joking. There is no way in hell that they would scrap all these years of PS3 development and start over from scratch on an even more unfamiliar, demanding piece of hardware.

What if they made a conscious decision to move development back in 2010? And it isn't really starting from scratch though, just moving into a bigger playground, though I could be wrong as Im not a developer.

It's puzzling why no gaming journalists call out Ueda or Yoshida over this, they seem more than willing to fawn over them instead. The whole promise of this game is like one big fraud.

What makes you think anyone is arguing that the years of developing TLG on PS3 have been scrapped? If that time produced the realization that TLG could not be released due to limitations in PS3 hardware, they wouldn't simply "start over from scratch."

.la1n

I know there were a lot of jokes thrown around but I never thought I'd see the day where It would be a distinct possibility of The Last Guardian jumping from PS3 to PS4. Development hell indeed.

It's PS4. It's been PS4 for a long time now.

It's puzzling why no gaming journalists call out Ueda or Yoshida over this, they seem more than willing to fawn over them instead. The whole promise of this game is like one big fraud.

He's indirectly staking his future as a game developer in that statement, so that's somewhat reassuring.

Game has been announced way too early with too high ambitions. At this stage, I don't really care that much about the game anymore to be honest.

Tagg9

A "last great PS3 release" whose release date has yet to be announced even though the PS4 will likely be released this fall?

It's a PS4 game. There's no longer any doubt.

Yes there is plenty of doubt. Were there no PS2 games released after PS3?

There will continue to be PS3 games released for at least another two years.

Takuya

Banned
Looking more likely that The Last Guardian has moved to PS4. Considering it's still in development, and we've heard close to nothing about it. It would be great for this to launch with PS4.

Yes there is plenty of doubt. Were there no PS2 games released after PS3?

There will continue to be PS3 games released for at least another two years.

Especially in Japan, if the PSP-Vita situation is anything to go by. I think it could go either way right now and we'll just have to wait and see. Ueda breaking his silence on the game is significant, though, and means we will likely be hearing something within the next few months.

Is it planned for launch/window?

I don't know, but I know it's been in development on Orbis for a long time now. It's platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it's been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.

Whompa

Why are people assuming it's for ps4? There's absolutely zero evidence that it is (or isn't). It's just a speculation.

Trevelyon

I don't know, but I know it's been in development on Orbis for a long time now. It's platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it's been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.

Seriously, for real. Holy shit!

To me it sounds like the game was pretty much done and Ueda wanted it out the door but " Sony decides the shipping date" so they are holding it for either a late ps3 release with an E3 reveal or Ps4 launch.

CengizMan

I should also mention that details regarding THE LAST GUARDIAN's release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement.

I read this as: "Something has changed about the release of The Last Guardian, but it was not my decision. More information coming very soon."

I'm guessing it will be releasing on Playstation 4 instead of Playstation 3.

patapuf

It's going to be announced for PS4 with an amazing trailer and in 2017 we will still be asking about it's release gate.

Empty

everything about this is really sad

at least it hasn't totally been canceled and it's still being mentioned. i just hope it's good when it comes out, as much as i love team ico, with a development like that who knows.

Varth

He's actually 58 there and that pic was taken in 1993

Ueda had come out of retirement to take that photo the minute he was 58 years old. Ueda is always lying about his age. He lies about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra went to Sony and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Fumito Ueda, just between me and you, how old is he?' You know what Frank told me, he said "Hey, Ueda-san is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

1180303315_52.gif

BadWolf

everything about this is really sad

at least it hasn't totally been canceled and it's still being mentioned. i just hope it's good when it comes out, as much as i love team ico, with a development like that who knows.

The saddest thing here is that regardless of how good it turns out or how much it sells, it will probably be the last game from Team Ico. That imo is a huge loss.

How'd you know these things? ;)

edit. beaten...

Trevelyon

Seems to be spoken from a point of authority on the matter. Not picking up the lulzidontreallyknow subtext in the post.

This is pretty fucking massive.

mauaus

JAP studios suck, ND releases 3 uncharted games, about to pop out The last guardian and what do these guys do? NOTHING.

wait, did we just get confirmation in this very thread that it will be released on PS4?

dude has been on gaf since 2007.. would he bullshit us?

I am just going on what I was told in the past and very very recently.

Also, isn't it funny that we know of this 20th Feb event (which is 99.99% sure to be Orbis), and we have had hints from Evo on Twitter, rumors of Killzone, and today this about TLG?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Wow, I mean wow. Total restarts. Wow. So something totally like what happened with Duke Forever then.

Mods, can we get a topic change, because we got us a megaton GAF exclusivo here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah this has been known, they said they a had build up for testing but the game just wasn't working so they had to go back to the drawing board.

I'd accept a restart once since they clearly went to shittown, but multiple times is just disastrous. I mean you could be looking at 3-4 PS3 versions before this final "ITS ORBIS NOW" version.

Well, and big Nintendo games get restarted over and over, but those games usually get released (Zelda etc). The dev process in Japan is very different to the west.

Oh sure, RE4 and that. But then those game ideas get used, maybe spun off (DMC for instance). Team Ico havent put out a brand new money making product for 8 years.

Crazy news, if true...

wow...

Wonder if they will announce this for PS4 on the 20th with a release date.

All is forgiven, Sony...

Empty

i really want to properly know what happened to its development. i wonder if we'll ever truly know, sony are probably really embarrassed.

BadWolf said:
The saddest thing here is that regardless of how good it turns out or how much it sells, it will probably be the last game from Team Ico. That imo is a huge loss.

indeed. if it's amazing well that's it no opportunity to build on it, if it sucks they don't get to make up for one idea gone very wrong.

still scej are talented judging by gravity rush, loco roco etc and they get some good people rolled into them, and maybe ueda will do something cool in the indie space, but i'll miss team ico with its unique position so much.

Top Bottom