• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ueda posts about TLG

Wow, I mean wow. Total restarts. Wow. So something totally like what happened with Duke Forever then.

Mods, can we get a topic change, because we got us a megaton GAF exclusivo here.

Total restarts are the only way a game can be in development for SEVEN YEARS, guys.

TLG would have followed a normal Team Ico schedule (up to 4 years from conception to release), otherwise.

But yeah. Ueda pushed for the game to be on PS4, just like how he pushed for Ico to be on the PS2 way back in 1999/2000.

Except the difference here is that Ico / Shadow of the Colossus didn't have total project restarts.

Oh sure, RE4 and that. But then those game ideas get used, maybe spun off (DMC for instance). Team Ico havent put out a brand new money making product for 8 years.

I'm willing to bet you money that Team Ico is getting shut down after TLG releases. Ueda saw the writing on the wall and got out early.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
How much better could it look?

Some serious lighting engine improvements, a much better human character model, and ANTI ALIASING OUT THE FUCKING WAZOO I would hope.

jgmo870

Banned
Oh sure, RE4 and that. But then those game ideas get used, maybe spun off (DMC for instance). Team Ico havent put out a brand new money making product for 8 years.

Pretty sure I read on here that Rain's a product of some discarded Team Ico ideas. It's not on the same level as DMC but it's something.

PS4 game. C'mon. Easily

Actually the only other option is that maybe it's a cross-gen title now with the PS4 version enjoying some enhancements over the PS3 version.

Either they sell PS4's with making it exclusive to PS4 or they try and recoup the financial burden of the game by making it cross-gen.

The major problem w/ the game is supposed to be get it running on the PS3.

So if they had to port the entire game engine from the ground up to PS4 to take advantage of the PS4 the way they would want to, that could be what's taking so long. Team ICO was never large.

I work in the animation business and I have occasionally considered jumping over to games. I see job adverts for mid-weight positions which say, under requirements, maybe 5 years industry experience and 2 AAA title credits, or similar. Imagine being on this team, having 7 years industry experience and no released titles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Now the game could have been moved to the PS4,but dont go and expect it to appear on the 20th!

Yeah, Sony want the 20th to be a new age of Playstation positivity. Telling suckas that bought a PS3 just for TLG to line up again... would probably not bring the smiles.

Well, seems like the people buying PS3 for the Last Guardian will end buying PS4 for the same reason.

A tip to those people for the next generation : Don't buy consoles (or anything else really) based on future promises, when you know it might just be cancelled or do a Duke Nukem.

Cornbread78

So the PS4 launch party on the 20th will include a montage of:
- The Last Guardian
- Final Fantasy XIII-Versus
- Battlefield 4
- ++++ other launch titles, full reveal at E3

Holy $hit, this will be amazing..... The megatons... the Hype Train.... oooaaaaahhh!

Liamario

Banned
I'd much prefer if they moved it to next gen at this point. Current gen is winding down rapidly, and even though PS3 is fighting the battle the hardest; I've already moved on and am waiting for next gen.

Pie and Beans

Wait, who bought a PS3 just for TLG?

I know several people. Time and other great games will have hopefully dissuaded them from a "WHY DID I BUY THIS" reaction, but TLG was "the prize". The Zelda or the 3D Mario of the good ship Sony.

Then of course we get to the set of people that bought a PS3 for TLG and FF13 Versus. Maybe... they'll have better luck.

Concept17

- The Last Guardian
- Battlefield 4

Holy $hit, this will be amazing..... The megatons... the Hype Train.... oooaaaaahhh!

Calm yourself. Feb 20th is just an announcement for the updated Vita hardware.

:D

Well, people who bought a PS3 for TLG and never played anything else on it definitely have other problems than a game not getting released on time.

I bought a PS3 looking forward to TLG, but had so much fun with the PS3 meanwhile I couldn't care less if this gets shoven to the Orbis.

jett

D-Member
If it indeed moved to PS4 I don't expect them to announce it on the 20th either. "Remember that game you bought a PS3 for? Well now you have to shell out $400+ to play it!" I can't think it would be received well.

Some serious lighting engine improvements, a much better human character model, and ANTI ALIASING OUT THE FUCKING WAZOO I would hope.
Yeah the TGS 2010 trailer looked kinda crap. Framerate was awful, image quality looked 'soft'... possibly below 720p, aliasing everywhere, harsh HDR, harsh shadows, etc etc...

A PS4 version would look massively better with identical assets if it could address these things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wonder how much money they've spent on this. Even at like 3-5MM a year it's gotten pretty expensive...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How much better could it look?
A lot better, considering that gameplay seemed to run at 20FPS on a few seconds of playable footage that we've seen, all transparency was handled as alpha-to-coverage from the very first trailer on, and resolution was dropped to sub HD on the last trailer they released.

Pie and Beans

I wonder how much money they've spent on this. Even at like 3-5MM a year it's gotten pretty expensive...

Its not just the money though. Its the distraction. What TOP MEN/WOMEN had to pitch in on this boat of holes when they could be doing something/anything else?

Well they make less in Japan so... like average of $30,000 x 25 people or so (isn't the team really small) and that's 750,000 a year x however many years its been in development. I know there are extra costs as well so add a few more million.

My math is super rough here but they've spent a good chunk of change for sure.

For those saying its moved to PS4...wouldn't assets need to be created all over again?

Its not just the money though. Its the distraction. What TOP MEN/WOMEN had to pitch in on this boat of holes when they could be doing something/anything else?

I'm assuming the opportunity costs for all of the people who wasted time working on assets that had to be scrapped with project restarts...is HUGE.

That's why I'm so sure that the team will get shut down. So much accumulated bloat / waste / mismanagement over the years...this project is the definition of development hell.

Well they make less in Japan so what, like average of $30,000 x 25 people or so (isn't the team really small) and that's 750,000 a year x however many years its been in development. I know there are extra costs as well so add a few more million.

My math is super rough here but they've spent a good chunk of change for sure.

For those saying its moved to PS4...wouldn't assets need to be created all over again?

Sure about that?

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/the-average-salary-at-square-enix-japan-is-273000-20120629/

The average salary for an employee working at the Final Fantasy studio is 21,680,000 yen. That’s roughly $273,000 a year. To put that in context, the company coming in second on the list is Sony who pays an average of $116,000. That’s less than half what Square Enix is offering.

Top 10 average salaries for employees at Japanese studios:

Square Enix – $273,000
Sony – $116,000
Nintendo – $115,000
Sammy – $103,500
Konami – $85,000
Namco Bandai – $80,500
Tecmo Koei – $77,500
Gala – $74,500
Capcom – $72,000
Yuke – $71,000

Kandinsky

If it indeed moved to PS4 I don't expect them to announce it on the 20th either. "Remember that game you bought a PS3 for? Well now you have to shell out $400+ to play it!" I can't think it would be received well.

Yeah this is some grade A bullshit, fuck off Sony, can't wait for the Versus announcement next, fml.

D:

ScOULaris

Why are people assuming it's for ps4? There's absolutely zero evidence that it is (or isn't). It's just a speculation.

I dunno. People are being sensationalist, I guess. I'm pretty sure someone from Sony Japan did confirm sometime in the last few months that it was still targeted for release on PS3. I forget who said it.

Elios83

I don't know which platform it will be released on but at least it seems like the game is still real and a release date announcement is coming.

I dunno. People are being sensationalist, I guess. I'm pretty sure someone from Sony Japan did confirm sometime in the last few months that it was still targeted for release on PS3. I forget who said it.

Yoshida 6 months ago said "The game is developed on PS3". Does that mean it'll be released on PS3? we shall see.

Boss Man

I don't know what will happen to this game (PS3, PS4, ...Vita?), but I'd like to point out a simple economic principle that many don't recognize.

Even if they only make 5% of their development cost back from this game's release, it would still make absolutely no sense to not release it. They have to release a game to make some of the money back even if they don't get all of it.

So even if they're sitting in their office with a crystal ball and see that they will make absolutely no net profit off of the title, they will still be pushing for release so long as the costs incurred between now and release do not exceed the sales. Even then, they may very well decide to release it for other less obvious factors (like PS4 appeal, using one example already mentioned).

The game is coming out. This post by Ueda makes me think we'll be hearing about it soon, and I'm hoping that it is a PS4 release. Sony stands to gain more from an early PS4 release, even if it would sell a lot less, and it would mean that the game had an opportunity to overcome the issues it had been having. This game is worth a lot more as a PS4 launch title IMHO.

Yoshida 6 months ago said "The game is developed on PS3". Does that mean it'll be released on PS3? we shall see.

Sony hasn't publicly acknowledged the existence of the PS4. Of course he will say it's coming for PS3.

But look here:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/06/the...ise”-a-2013-release-for-the-team-ico-project/

If TLG can't make a 2013 release date, it's on the PS4. There's absolutely no question about that. We are NOT seeing any more Sony 1st-party games coming out on the PS3 after 2013 is up.

- The Last Guardian
- Battlefield 4

Remember when Sony pulled FFXIV out of their ass and surprised everyone during that one E3? Announced before XIII-2, XIII-3, and Versus released?

If Versus isn't ready to ship this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see FFXV make an appearance somewhere this year.

jgmo870

Banned
I'm assuming the opportunity costs for all of the people who wasted time working on assets that had to be scrapped with project restarts...is HUGE.

That's why I'm so sure that the studio will get shut down. So much accumulated bloat / waste / mismanagement over the years...this project is the definition of development hell.

Team Ico is just one team. They're not going to shut down an entire studio over them especially since the heads of it, Ueda and co., already left.

1. Puppeteer's director said that the reason why they didn't announce/release their game sooner was because the studio needed to focus resources on a troubled project. Since Puppeteer is getting out the door later this year, it stands to reason that the troubled game isn't in trouble anymore. If that's true, then what other logical explanation is there for not talking about the game other than it shifting consoles?

2. The timing of Ueda's statement.

3. Kenny Linder used to work at Sony.

alphaNoid

Banned
I hope this game comes out, I hope it really does for all the fans that want it. But I also fear it won't sell very well, or may turn out feeling dated and overlooked b/c the long, long development cycle.

I'm interested to see the final product. Has there ever been a game thats been borderline vaporware thats come out and been truely amazing? I recall Duke Nukem was in the same hell hole and we know what happened with that.

Whompa

Sony hasn't publicly acknowledged the existence of the PS4. Of course he will say it's coming for PS3.

But look here:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/06/the...ise”-a-2013-release-for-the-team-ico-project/

If TLG can't make a 2013 release date, it's on the PS4. There's absolutely no question about that. We are NOT seeing any more Sony 1st-party games coming out on the PS3 after 2013 is up.

You're still speculating lol. Nothing was ever mentioned about that. Maybe it will come to ps4. It would be stupid not to make it cross platform. But nobody actually knows just yet.

Salaadin

I cant help but get myself excited for all this stuff. So many announcements and hints that all fall around Sonys conference. Are they going to blow us all away next week?
The Evolution hints, Bungie game, Ueda suddenly talking again...damn!

BadWolf

That's why I'm so sure that the studio will get shut down. So much accumulated bloat / waste / mismanagement over the years...this project is the definition of development hell.

Team Ico is part of Japan studio, they won't be shut down (as in, the team will be let go). In the worst case scenario they will probably be dispersed to other projects.

Top Bottom