• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ueda posts about TLG

Ueda had come out of retirement to take that photo the minute he was 58 years old. Ueda is always lying about his age. He lies about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra went to Sony and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Fumito Ueda, just between me and you, how old is he?' You know what Frank told me, he said "Hey, Ueda-san is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

1180303315_52.gif

Legendary!

aganu

I don't know, but I know it's been in development on Orbis for a long time now. It's platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it's been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.
Thread worthy.

How many chances are there for this to turn out good, at this point?

depends on your expectation imo, I think it will at least reach the same level as Ico and SoTC in term of emotional payoff by the end, but if you have too high of expectation, it might lead to disappointment for you. end up getting sour about the game and may even hate it later on

Zeliard

Seems likely Sony are gearing up to coincide the next TLG announcement with the PS4's reveal. It would make sense as an anticipated heavy-hitter to introduce off the bat and get the hype rolling further, alongside the expected franchises.

Drek

Why PS4 when the install base will be low? lulz.
Other than helping them sell systems, like all early generation first party games?

Maybe specifically because it would temper sales expectations. Even without Ueda Team Ico is SCEJ's best hope for a non-PD top tier studio. Letting TLG get lost in the late gen shuffle on PS3 only hurts their credibility. Having it on PS4 early on with even modest critical or retail success backs the argument for giving them another game post-Ueda.

Afrikan

I don't know, but I know it's been in development on Orbis for a long time now. It's platform has been questionable for nearly two years, but the last time it was restarted (it's been restarted a number of times), it was moved to Orbis.

makes sense.

wasn't ICO originally a PSX game, with footage online?....then they changed their minds and developed it for the PS2.

the reassurance here is, ICO still looked amazing for a PS2 game...it didn't look like a title that was suppose to be on a previous console and just moved over for the sake of things.

so, yeah that is what I was worried about initially regarding TLG being moved to the PS4, but now that I think about it I'm sure it'll look amazing for a next gen game.

StuBurns

Banned
While I've been kind of irritated by TLG and Versus' prolonged silence, ultimately, it's not as if I'd have not bought a PS3 anyway, even if the promise of the system for me was on the back of two games we'll possibly never see on it, the idea of waiting this long, and missing an entire Sony generation would have been stupid.

I do feel like the PS3 is practically over now, even TLoU which seems like a possibly candidate for the system's swansong, but even that I'm convinced will also be on PS4, and if they confirm that before TLoU ships, I certainly won't be playing it on PS3.

artist

Banned
So the PS4 launch party on the 20th will include a montage of:
- The Last Guardian
- Final Fantasy XIII-Versus
- Battlefield 4
- ++++ other launch titles, full reveal at E3

Holy $hit, this will be amazing..... The megatons... the Hype Train.... oooaaaaahhh!
You forgot the 404s ..

What A crow for all of us to eat.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352344

MOD need to unbanned this man so he takes a bow.

One of the posters from that thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14768298&postcount=33
"
This could be one of those epic habeem threads where a person makes a seemingly crazy suggestion/comment and everyone laughs at him, but months and/or years later he comes back and owns us all. "

WTF, that thread was in 2009!? i remember that very well, thought it was 2011 or something... jeez

i also remember wanting to defend the OP, but apparently i have no posts in the thread so i guess i chickened out lol.

I hope Sony forces Ueda to make the main character a female with pants on. Just to spite him.

actually, the reason the game got into development trouble is because after that sexist comment backlash, Ueda insist to change the main character into girl while still wearing skirt, but couldn't figure out how to implement the camera so that player can't see under her skirt.

that's why they need help from Santa Monica, who's probably the expert in camera direction in games.

Haunted

What A crow for all of us to eat.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352344

MOD need to unbanned this man so he takes a bow.

One of the posters from that thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...8&postcount=33
"
This could be one of those epic habeem threads where a person makes a seemingly crazy suggestion/comment and everyone laughs at him, but months and/or years later he comes back and owns us all. "
1) it's selig
2) his reasons for a move to Orbis are completely different from the real situation

For reference, this is how ICO improved when it went to the PS2.

PSX version

PS2 version

Just sayin...

Crazy how good the PS1 version looked.

Why PS4 when the install base will be low? lulz.
Team Ueda games aren't made to sell, they're to have a critical darling, it's a symbolic feather in the cap that is Sony's lineup.

Releasing early in the generation to give the Orbis a must-have exclusive, driving adoption among core fans and starting the console off right, critically, is a much smarter move than shoving it onto a dying console towards the end of its life cycle, it would be prioritising short-term sales over the possible long-term benefits of pushing the Orbis.

That said, the development was so troubled and so secretive for the last couple years, who knows in what state the game is and whether such strategic concerns can even play a role.

Spira

Banned
I feel it will be for both ps3 and ps4. Cock tease and all I'm happy he came out and said something. As for versus 13... Shits still in limbo

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm definitely beginning to suspect it's a PS4 launch title now.

I'm also suspecting that these titles will appear sometime within the first 6-8 months of the PS4 launch:

The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Killzone 4
inFAMOUS 3 (Sucker Punch hasn't announced anything since inFAMOUS 2 wrapped in 2011. I can't imagine them working on anything but a PS4 launch title).

Honestly, those 4 games would get me to purchase a PS4 day one. I actually didn't have plans on buying one until sometime in 2014, but Team Ico, Uncharted, and inFAMOUS is too much to ignore day one.

abasm

Fumito Ueda said:
I should also mention that details regarding THE LAST GUARDIAN's release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement.

I have a feeling that Sony gave him "permission" say this.

Nice to know that the game's not dead. It's a real bummer that it's been suspended in development hell for so long, though. Just think: some of the most talented people in the Japanese games industry have been tied up with this project instead of making more amazing stuff.

genjiZERO

1)

Team Ueda games aren't made to sell, they're to have a critical darling, it's a symbolic feather in the cap that is Sony's lineup.

That's exactly what they are. They are there to give Sony artistic credibility, make them seem more attractive to small time developers, and make them look less like the giant Randian corporation they are.

LordCanti

If they need the PS4's power to make Toriko's AI work the way he intended, then I hope it comes to the PS4. At this point, I can't imagine the development problems being related to anything else.

LordCanti said:
If they need the PS4's power to make Toriko's AI work the way he intended, then I hope it comes to the PS4. At this point, I can't imagine the development problems being related to anything else.

Exactly my thoughts.
Once Ueda alluded to there being more than one 'creature' I knew it was going to be difficult to execute..given how natural the main creature looks and acts.

What I don't understand is... where is he going to go for more creative freedom? Sony is has led the way this generation when it comes to creative freedom more than anyone else. Is he planning on starting his own studio to make iOS games?

LordCanti

Confirmed indeed, read a page back.

Unless we're being trolled...

itshappening.gif

The total restart thing has me wondering though. I know we've only gotten two or so trailers in many years, but those trailers showed a reasonably functional game with a lot of work having been done. Scrapping all of that would be mind blowing.

If they announce it for the PS4 too but with 6 months release difference, what will you guys pick?

I'd probably buy both versions. For eternal fear of spoilers and a general lack of patience, I'd get The Last Guardian as soon as it was humanly possible. Buy the PS3 version, love it, then experience the game again in all its next-gen glory 6 months later.

Karkador

Banned
They're not going to do a dual platform release of this game. No way. All signs point at this being a ps4 game at this point.

With that said, it probably won't look or play much different than what the trailers were showing for ps3. I take it a lot of the work (and ultimately, the look and feel) in ueda's games is the handmade animation

Top Bottom