• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 144: Lightweight Title - Edgar vs. Bendo - 2.25 - Dancing On The Corpse's Ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Pride drew audiences of between 25,000 to just under 50,000 in that building during its lifetime. Dream has had around 9,000 to 25,000.
DREAM's attendance has been showing a disappointing decline in recent years. While the New Year's events still sell out around 25,000 seats (2009's NYE was much more packed at 45,606 seats apparently), every other event is much more modest. The numbers posted on Wikipedia look bleak:

In 2011, the non-New Year's shows at Saitama Super Arena sold 6,522 and 9,270 seats.

In 2010, the non-New Year's shows at Saitama Super Arena sold 12,712 and 13,028 seats.

In 2009, the non-New Year's shows at Saitama Super Arena sold 19,528 and 11,970 seats.

In 2008 the organization's first three shows did very well in comparison: 19,120, 21,397 and 21,789 seats sold.

Jamie OD

That is one of the more disturbing fan-made trailers for a UFC show I have ever seen.

Gotta love Rogan's smile after the "protect my balls" line.

MjFrancis

Question about Xbox 360 UFC app streaming:

I assume I'm supposed to have Xbox Live Gold to access the stream, but does the UFC stream @60FPS? I'm already going to have to fork over more money for Gold if I go this route, but I also pay $10 more than what I can get from UFC.com. If I'm not getting double the framerate for that money I'm not entirely sure that I'd consider it a worthwhile endeavor. Even with the prelims bunched in with the deal.

Yes, the XBL stream is at 60FPS, unlike most online streaming. I didn't believe anyone else when they told me it was just like watching it on TV until I saw it for myself either. Just watch the UFC 144 Countdown and the Edgar/Sherk and Rampage/Arona fights from the app for proof. AFAIK, you don't need XBL Gold to stream the PPV itself, but you do in order to stream everything else like the weigh ins, the countdown show, the pre and post fight pressers etc.

The quality to me is virtually indistinguishable from when I order the PPV from DirecTV on my 52" LCD. As I said in the OP, the only drawback is the delay of approximately 1 minute.

MjFrancis

Thanks for the added information. In light of that, it will be $55 well spent - I'll check out the Edgar/Sherk match in the meantime just to get an idea of how it will look, but really, this is awesome. Possible PPV w/o XBL Gold, too? Icing on the cake.

It does make me more surly towards UFC.com streams, though. Yeah, it's HD, but it's also 30FPS. I always notice it, but with weight classes at 155lbs and under they move so quick that it's nearly unbearable. There's no reason they can't offer a 60FPS stream when they're giving Microsoft the better deal.

But rather than bitch I'll just switch horses.

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't regular broadcast tv 24 fps?
and the human eye can't tell the difference past 24 amirite

serious answer: 1080i HD broadcasts at a framerate of 59.94. practically all online video streams cut the framerate in half which is why I hate watching online streams for sporting events. the UFC app's video streaming is at the full framerate however.

getting into annoying detail with lots of jargon to intercept a stupid counterargument: NTSC's framerate is 29.97, but that rate counts a frame as half of an interlaced field. the other half of the interlaced field actually shows the next frame of picture, so the effective framerate of NTSC SD video is 60 as well.

All I know is for UFC 142 I watched the prelims on FX HD and it looked great. But then I switched over to the stream on the Xbox app and it looked even better.

MjFrancis

Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread, you can't watch any bonus videos without Xbox Live Gold, only the event preview. I haven't ordered the fight yet but it doesn't look like getting Gold is a requirement for that.

But the event preview video looks solid. I'll jump on this after I convince myself that Microsoft isn't going to steal my credit card information and use the money to drown puppies.

Sherdog's Fantasy MMA site has just made UFC 144 available to put your picks in.

http://fantasy.sherdog.com

There is a private NeoGAF pool you can join. Hopefully Heel can chime in with the password for it.

Also, pre-fight presser staredowns:

AmUC9r8CIAESnWh.jpg

AmUCwyxCMAIKvGy.jpg

AmUCi4GCAAAkZxi.jpg

and a pic of all the Japanese fighters on the card:

AmUDkjpCEAEhLP8.jpg:large

funk0ar

I'm in Australia and want to try and order he event on Xbox but can't find where to do it. Is it only available on Xbox in America?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Jake Shields is going to LnP him. Sexyama might take round 1 but when he gasses in round 2 it'll be it for him. Dude was a gasser before he cut weight.

I'm in Australia and want to try and order he event on Xbox but can't find where to do it. Is it only available on Xbox in America?
We have an Australian in MMA GAF who probably knows more than I do, but I believe that you can catch the whole event on free TV in your country.. if not, there's always UFC.tv

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Hey Cheesy, Is 144 going to be on free TV down there in aussie land?

Doesn't look like it. The events held in Aus are usually on TV for free and all the UFC on Fox etc are on One HD. Looks like you have to pay for 144, prelims are on One HD though.

11am - 12.59pm
UFC 144 Prelims
Live fights which will not disappoint. Takanori Gomi fights Eiji Mitsuoka, Kid Yamamoto battles Vaughan Lee and Steve Cantwell takes on Riki Fukuda.

Okami isn't going to lose dude. Also someone has to win in the Gomi/Mitsuoka fight.

Will get robbed then there will be a Double K.O.

Novid

Banned
I have a feeling that 144 will be a bigger success than people realise - sure its a much longer card - but if its 10,000 legit seats, Dana wins, Densu looks like a million bucks etc.

That and the fact that even though many of the former Pride fans and Japanese MMA fan base - wonder how in the heck UFC gonna succeed, you forget the Mainstream youth (Non-Otaku/Non-Gansta - what they call Yakairii) are very curious/supporters of US Pop cuture and right out outside of Mr Lin, the biggest thing is the UFC...

dream would know better than I, but apparently Dave Meltzer said that almost 20,000 tickets have been sold now and that would be a sell out for the current configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom