• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 182 |OT| Break Bones - Sponsored By Dude Wipes®

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Gustafsson finally beats Jones he will rejuvenate the MMA business and take it too new heights

Not so fast rumble may take gus. He has legit knockout power and good wrestling. He is huge for a Light heavyweight. It is crazy he used to cut to welterweight. He is what Rampage should be with the added bonus of actually using kickboxing. Though his gas tank is suspect.

Jones uses his reach advantage better than any fighter. He has crazy long reach even if he fought at heavyweight his reach would be longer than any anyone in the weight class except stefan struve and even then they have the same reach. Add to that he is athletic and a good wrestler he is a nightmare at light heavyweight.

KissVibes

Banned
I've also got the feeling that DC is a good match for Jones. I think this fight proved that Jones is impossible to wrestle and muscle around at 205, but DC hung with him for 5 rounds and even hurt him at times. For awhile there it looked like he might've gotten the knockout. DC's gameplan in a rematch might actually be to keep it a dirty boxing fight and look for takedowns second.

Sadly, it will never happen for Cormier.

It's really is unfortunate that he won't get a rematch. If only because I think DC has shown he can hang around and has power behind his shots. If he can keep getting in close and land those hits, I think he could do it in a rematch.

Unfortunately, I think DC REALLY wants to beat Jones with wrestling. Mostly as a pride thing.

Jones is a complete stud but comes off as a total douchebag I'm sorry.

I want to like him because he's so good but my god man

Razdek

Banned
I thought sensei Segal showed DC some super secret moves that was going to help him win? I knew he'd never win when he was associated with him. Don't these stupid fighters learn anything?

whatever he's doing to get people riled up is good for him - he's got people in hook line and sinker desperate to see him get knockout.

I personally like how he beats everyones heros up though so it shall be entertaining to see his future

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Cormier had nothing for Jones in the clinch. The big draw of this fight was that Cormier was this Olympic great who would "ragdoll" Jones. But he had nothing..... absolutely nothing. Just goes to show how credentials on paper don't mean jack. "K1 Striking" "Olympic wrestling" all means crap.

zychi

Banned

It's funny to me how I despise JBJ, but love Anderson and McGregor. Something about them being confident, but not arrogant or prickish/

HabeeNo

People complain about the personalities of Jones, of Hendricks, of GSP, holy shit, is there anyone people DO like?

63045.jpg

Im glad Jones has fully embraced being the heel, its very entertaining and better than being the fake humble guy..

He hasn't fully embraced it, though. He keeps apologizing for being classless using his teacher's pet voice before going back to being an asshole.
Needs to be the OT Title for Rumble vs Gus lol

Anyways, how big of a momentum killer do you guys think the eyepoke was?
I don't think they had much of an impact on the fight. DC was going to run out of steam and Jones was going to stay steady. Herb letting them hug for 2 - 3 minutes in the final round had more of an impact on the fight.

Nail

It's really is unfortunate that he won't get a rematch. If only because I think DC has shown he can hang around and has power behind his shots. If he can keep getting in close and land those hits, I think he could do it in a rematch.

Unfortunately, I think DC REALLY wants to beat Jones with wrestling. Mostly as a pride thing.

I think what happened in rounds 4&5 happens sooner or identical to this fight. DC can't hang with Jones has to offer for 5 rounds sadly. And he sure isn't going to ko him unless it's a flash ko in the first round, also highly unlikely.

Razdek

Banned
whatever he's doing to get people riled up is good for him - he's got people in hook line and sinker desperate to see him get knockout.

I personally like how he beats everyones heros up though so it shall be entertaining to see his future

At least he doesn't have to worry about Machado fans anymore as they are the worst. "did you see how Machida hit him in the first round?" While pretending to ignore that Jones dumped his lifeless body in the second round.

I seriously don't understand the people who think like this. It's MMA for god's sake, not some silly wrestling personality feud shit, watch and enjoy it for the fucking fights man. Jones might be a bit of a cocky douche, but he's earned the right to be one because he is undeniably the most talented and dominant competitor in the history of his entire weight division. He's not even THAT bad, if you really think some showboating and shit talking on twitter is so unforgivable, I'd love to know what you think of other famous athletes who have done legitimately reprehensible shit like Mike Tyson.

People complain about the personalities of Jones, of Hendricks, of GSP, holy shit, is there anyone people DO like?

People liked Jones when he first came up but it seems like the more he wins the more people hate him. Maybe it's because he's in a sport where you aren't supposed to win all the time, everyone eventually loses, but he hasn't? People have been waiting for that first "great white/brown/tan hope" to come along and take him out. Probably doesn't help that a few of those guys were fan favorites that he destroyed along the way. First he was too green for Shogun. Then he wouldn't be able to handle the elusive Lyoto "He was winning til he wasn't!" Machida. Then it was Rashad. Then Gus. Then Glover. Then DC. Nearly always in dominating and/or entertaining fashion. With each win the hate seems to continue to grow. He's cleaned out a fucking division that was supposed to be stacked when he first won the belt, and now people want to intimate he's a coward because he won't move up to heavyweight. It'll never been good enough for some people I guess until Bones finally loses,

Jones wasn't rocked or anything, but he was backing down to strikes in round 2. He clearly felt DC's power.

DC had a couple of combos like I said, but I just have a much different definition of "looks like he may get knocked out". Jones easily escaped any followups to DC's shots, and none of them actually wobbled him from what I saw.

BadAss2961

Cormier had nothing for Jones in the clinch. The big draw of this fight was that Cormier was this Olympic great who would "ragdoll" Jones. But he had nothing..... absolutely nothing. Just goes to show how credentials on paper don't mean jack. "K1 Striking" "Olympic wrestling" all means crap.
No, they do mean a lot. Just not against Jon Jones. He's the long and strong as fuck exception. He's just insane at 205.

Gus gives him so much trouble because he's kinda the white version of himself. Another tall ass LHW that can make 205.

Verendus

Banned
I think what happened in rounds 4&5 happens sooner or identical to this fight. DC can't hang with Jones has to offer for 5 rounds sadly. And he sure isn't going to ko him unless it's a flash ko in the first round, also highly unlikely.
I think a sound strategy for Jones is to keep the pressure on him, but to mix up the striking to attack his legs too. Jones does a good job of mixing up his striking and his leg kicks are a good part of that. He uses them well to keep the distance and give himself some room to plan what to do next. He does it every fight, and he'll do it to break pressure and create a gap so he can do something else.

It's weird to me no one does leg kicks on him to hurt him and try to reduce that aspect. Instead the ones who kick always aim for high kicks, neglecting the fact that he's a giant so it's going to be tough to connect when he's fresh in the fight. DC got caught just like that. He went for a high kick a few times, which is just crazy when Jones is fresh because the disparity in size is far too much. It's not going to happen.

You need to keep the pressure on him, and mix up the strikes and hit his legs too. Work from that. The first three rounds are important, because if it goes towards the end of the fight, unless you're of equal size, it's going to be easy for him to grind you out.

I seriously don't understand the people who think like this. It's MMA for god's sake, not some silly wrestling personality feud shit, watch and enjoy it for the fucking fights man. Jones might be a bit of a cocky douche, but he's earned the right to be one because he is undeniably the most talented and dominant competitor in the history of his entire weight division. He's not even THAT bad, if you really think some showboating and shit talking on twitter is so unforgivable, I'd love to know what you think of other famous athletes who have done legitimately reprehensible shit like Mike Tyson.

People like their favorite athletes to have class. Like Michael Jordan. Or Muhammad Ali.

Sean

Banned
Jones trolling DC on Fox Sports 1 right now

"I proved that he wasn't king of the grind, I am king of the grind."

"I don't like Daniel Cormier, I don't respect Daniel Cormier. I hope he's somewhere crying right now, I'm sure he is. I hope he earns his way back so I can whoop him again."

BadAss2961

DC had a couple of combos like I said, but I just have a much different definition of "looks like he may get knocked out". Jones easily escaped any followups to DC's shots, and none of them actually wobbled him from what I saw.
The 2nd round suggested that Jones might get finished by an accumulation of strikes, but to his credit, he answered. Started to press Cormier against the cage in the 3rd, slowed him down, and pretty much stuck to that gameplan the rest of the way.

I don't think the dislike for Jones is because he wins. It's because his personality sucks. He just comes off so fake. He's like the person who is a huge ass but just pretends to be nice. Then when you see him acting nice or people buying in to it, it annoys you even more.

He's a great fighter and I like watching him but I want him to lose just to see how he reacts.

We like nice fighters with class and we like cocky arrogant shit talkers, yet Jones doesn't appeal to any of those sides.

People like their favorite athletes to have class. Like Michael Jordan. Or Muhammad Ali.
Michael Jordan is quite similar to Jon Jones. They both speak softly and politely to the media, but they're disgusting pieces of shit behind closed doors. Michael was better at suppressing his true self to the media than Jon, so he didn't get as much flak. Even after Sam Smith's "Jordan Rules" book that exposed Jordan as a huge dick, Jordan was seen as a role model to children. Ali was an asshole in and out of the ring, but he was charismatic and didn't pretend to be anything he wasn't.
I don't think the dislike for Jones is because he wins. It's because his personality sucks. He just comes off so fake. He's like the person who is a huge ass but just pretends to be nice. Then when you see him acting nice or people buying in to it, it annoys you even more.

He's a great fighter and I like watching him but I want him to lose just to see how he reacts.

We like nice fighters with class and we like cocky arrogant shit talkers, yet Jones doesn't appeal to any of those sides.
That's exactly it. He's a hall monitor, tattle tale, good two shoes, teacher's pet, brown noser, etc. He's a twerp who needs his ass kicked. Unfortunately, he's a 6'4" twerp who happens to be the greatest MMA of all time.

He's a square. He sort of reminds me of Kobe in his younger days when Adidas and Sprite were trying to turn him into a golden boy but he was way too introverted to pull it off. If he's an asshole he should just go full asshole. It's not like there's a ton of endorsement money in being a nice guy MMA fighter so fuck it. Hell Mayweather laid the blueprint. He's got casual sports fans shelling out $60 a PPV to watch a style that they don't even like because they want to see him get KO'd so badly.

BadAss2961

He's kinda like the LeBron of MMA. lol

He's almost there.

Nail

I agree with you, I just don't think DC is the one to do it. The body type mismatch is just to extreme for him. Jones just has too many ways to disengage him. It's why Gustafason stood the best because jone's body type advantage was not completely out of wack

IKizzLE

Fuck that! I want jones to get fucked up

The rematch of Jones vs Gustaffson was scheduled and then Alex got hurt.
They didn't want to move the date so they threw DC in to fight.

Then Alex got better and they scheduled Rumble to fight him.
Then Jon got hurt.
Since Alex was set for Rumble already, DC and jon just waited it out, especially after all the pre fight hype.

ISOM

He's a nice guy who is also a cocky arrogant asshole. I don't know what's so fake about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom