• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 192 OT: Cormier vs Gustafsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

karasu

Why are people saying Jones is going to kill DC? He didn't even finish him the last time. Jones is just going to get another underwhelming decision over DC.

BadAss2961

you forgot his last fight when he crushed DC. DC a fighter who has not changed at all in any fight he has been in?
You say DC hasn't changed at all, and you just watched him win a 5 round fight where he stopped going for takedowns after the 2nd.

Turn your brain on.

Lazyslob

Banned
Why are people saying Jones is going to kill DC? He didn't even finish him the last time. Jones is just going to get another underwhelming decision over DC.

jones destroyed DC. just because he didnt finish him doesnt make it competitive.

You say DC hasn't changed at all, and you just watched him win a 5 round fight where he stopped going for takedowns after the 2nd.

Turn your brain on.

he hasnt changed the way he fights. you seem to really like DC. ill say hes really good at getting guys to fight the way he likes. thats what frustrates me. his stand up didnt look good his wrestling didnt look good other than that slam he got gus with. when he fights someone like jones who fights his OWN fights is when DC looks basic as fuck, which is he is.

To add, leading up to the Gustaffson fight he kept going on about how he was a better boxer than Gustaffson, would beat him at his own strength, wasn't taking the fight that seriously, etc. If they ever rematch I expect Jones to focus on getting the takedowns, as well as fighting in the clinch against the fence, just like he did against Cormier.

I remember JJ saying something like, "There's a clear stand up advantage in this fight, and that goes to me". The rumors following the fight were most likely true, JJ didn't take the fight seriously and/or was hurt.

I like Gustafson, but the constant running back to the center of the octagon certainly didn't look good for the judges.

:( Gus shouldn't have kept running, that didn't show the heart of a viking

He also needed to not get hit in the face so easily in the clinch, so many uppercuts it was like a EA UFC online match =/

Still thought he should have won 48-47

Also surprised he didn't finish it after that big knee

Ah well

pixelation

QIF3qjl.gif

He looks like the prince from the Shrek movies, in other words... handsome by the numbers.

Lazyslob

Banned
:( Gus shouldn't have kept running, that didn't show the heart of a viking

He also needed to not get hit in the face so easily in the clinch, so many uppercuts it was like a EA UFC online match =/

Still thought he should have won 48-47

Also surprised he didn't finish it after that big knee

Ah well

gus beat himself. hes talented but under any kind of stress hes the kind of guy that folds which you seen in this fight. there was nothing holding him back from winning

BadAss2961

he hasnt changed the way he fights. you seem to really like DC. ill say hes really good at getting guys to fight the way he likes. thats what frustrates me. his stand up didnt look good his wrestling didnt look good other than that slam he got gus with. when he fights someone like jones who fights his OWN fights is when DC looks basic as fuck, which is he is.
This frustrates you? That's what every fighter in all of combat sports wants to do.

Turn your brain on.

He fought much the same way against Bones, the only difference is Bones is actually smart and used his length and made Cormier pay everytime he tried to go in for a clinch or wildly swung for the home run.

Guru-Guru

Banned
He fought much the same way against Bones, the only difference is Bones is actually smart and used his length and made Cormier pay everytime he tried to go in for a clinch or wildly swung for the home run.
Jones also landed a ton of body punches/kicks which killed Cormier's cardio in the later rounds. Gustaffson similarly landed punches and kicks to the body without much trouble. It's one of Cormier's weaknesses he has failed to address. Jones going to do the exact same shit when they fight again.

BadAss2961

The way he fought tonight was not the way he fought Jones for most of their fight. Against Jones, Cormier's gameplan was to work the clinch for takedowns, against Gus he decided to work the clinch purely for striking much like the 2nd round of the Jones fight where he had success.

To me it's obvious that he learned from the Jones fight. He learned that it's not easy to ragdoll those two tall light heavies and that he'll have to stand up with them. After the first slam, Gus began to stifle the takedown attempts much like Jones did. DC might've lost this fight had he never fought Jones before.

Lazyslob

Banned
The way he fought tonight was not the way he fought Jones for most of their fight. Against Jones, Cormier's gameplan was to work the clinch for takedowns, against Gus he decided to work the clinch purely for striking much like the 2nd round of the Jones fight where he had success.

To me it's obvious that he learned from the Jones fight. He learned that it's not easy to ragdoll those two tall light heavies and that he'll have to stand up with them. After the first slam, Gus began to stifle the takedown attempts much like Jones did. DC might've lost this fight had he never fought Jones before.

he fought the exact same. he tried nothing but clinching and uppercutting in the jones fight and he tried to do the same here(as he does in every fight hes been in). he didnt get the opportunity as much but that was all he was going for

with that performance, shit ill say i think bader can beat him

BadAss2961

he fought the exact same. he tried nothing but clinching and uppercutting in the jones fight and he tried to do the same here(as he does in every fight hes been in). he didnt get the opportunity as much but that was all he was going for

with that performance, shit ill say i think bader can beat him
Is it not completely out of character for Cormier to not attempt a takedown for 3 straight rounds? Not even feint one? Anyone with the slightest bit of analytical awareness would realize this was a result of the Jones fight and facing a guy with a similar build.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Lazyslob

Banned
Is it not completely out of character for Cormier to not attempt a takedown for 3 straight rounds? Not even feint one? Anyone with the slightest bit of analytical awareness would realize this was a result of the Jones fight and facing a guy with a similar build.

why are you talking to me like im the crazy one? you still think the fight between DC and jones was close.

BadAss2961

why are you talking to me like im the crazy one? you still think the fight between DC and jones was close.
Quote me where I said the fight was "close." It shouldn't be hard to look through the history, I haven't posted much since we were talking about that.

Lazyslob

Banned
Quote me where I said the fight was "close." It shouldn't be hard to look through the history, I haven't posted much since we were talking about that.

alright

I wouldn't bet on it, but Cormier's capable of beating Jones. The first fight was more competitive than a lot of people let on.

Not really a best case scenario as Cormier clearly won the 2nd round.

I'm just calling it what it was -- not the domination many make it out to be.

If you think Jones is just gonna sit there and take it like Gus did then I don't know what else to tell you. He didn't beat a cavalcade of different fighters by being one dimensional. He knows how to bring the out the weaknesses of fighters who don't have the natural gifts that he has better than anyone I've ever seen.

#rekt. I guess his only definition of non-competitive is someone getting knocked out. This is what the fight looked like.

SmROnvc.png

Cormier looked straight up impotent against him.

BadAss2961

If you think Jones is just gonna sit there and take it like Gus did then I don't know what else to tell you. He didn't beat a cavalcade of different fighters by being one dimensional. He knows how to bring the out the weaknesses of fighters who don't have the natural gifts that he has better than anyone I've ever seen.
I said he learned from the fight. I didn't say this meant he was going to beat Jones.

I think DC's capable of getting it done but that Jones is still a good favorite.

I said he learned from the fight. I didn't say this meant he was going to beat Jones.

I think DC's capable of getting it done but that Jones is still a good favorite.

Anything is possible isn't exactly a good argument. Sure, he could beat him, but he more than likely won't. Just like he could beat him last time but he didn't.

Takuan

Each time Gus turned his back to run, Cormier was wide open for a spinning elbow. I don't know why that isn't in his arsenal when he runs with his back to the opponent so often.

DC fought the right fight, but Jones should walk right though him when the time comes.

Not sure why people keep acting like Cormier isn't the legit champion. Bones ruined himself like a moron and was his own worst opponent. The reason he doesn't have the belt is because he is an idiot. Well, he was at the time. Just because you are the greatest fighter doesn't mean you can make it in the sport. I'm sure there are a ton of people that are great at a sport, but couldn't make it in a particular organization due to life style choices. Jones is one of them, it's just awful because is nearly an anomaly talent wise. Hopefully he comes back and can control himself. I don't give a shit if he is a good person or not, but being champion means meeting certain simple criteria, some of which have nothing to do with talent.

Cormier IS the legit champion. Bones can come back and dominate LHW and HW, but I'm not going to pretend that he didn't lose the belt because of his own idiocy. Talent isn't shit if you aren't in a position to use it. He took himself out of that position.

Not sure why people keep acting like Cormier isn't the legit champion. Bones ruined himself like a moron and was his own worst opponent. The reason he doesn't have the belt is because he is an idiot. Well, he was at the time. Just because you are the greatest fighter doesn't mean you can make it in the sport. I'm sure there are a ton of people that are great at a sport, but couldn't make it in a particular organization due to life style choices. Jones is one of them, it's just awful because is nearly an anomaly talent wise. Hopefully he comes back and can control himself. I don't give a shit if he is a good person or not, but being champion means meeting certain simple criteria, some of which have nothing to do with talent.

Cormier IS the legit champion. Bones can come back and dominate LHW and HW, but I'm not going to pretend that he didn't lose the belt because of his own idiocy. Talent isn't shit if you aren't in a position to use it. He took himself out of that position.

I've always said that history will look at Cormier as an asterisk in history and I think I will be proven right. In 20 years, the wikipedia page will probably just have Jones as the champion throughout this period we're in now with an asterisk and a link explaining Cormier and his fake ass belt.

BadAss2961

I've always said that history will look at Cormier as an asterisk in history and I think I will be proven right. In 20 years, the wikipedia page will probably just have Jones as the champion throughout this period we're in now with an asterisk and a link explaining Cormier and his fake ass belt.
I don't get the hate. Jones had to be stripped of the title, the next best guy went on to win it and hasn't been ducking the situation.

I don't get the hate. Jones had to be stripped of the title, the next best guy went on to win it and hasn't been ducking the situation.

Not really about hate, just the facts of the situation. Not even his fault really.

Although the initial shit talking he was doing looked pretty sad given the context.

BadAss2961

Not really about hate, just the facts of the situation. Not even his fault really.

Although the initial shit talking he was doing looked pretty sad given the context.
What's wrong with shit talking? The fact that he's still acting like a challenger to Jones shows that he's being real about the situation.

There's no one to blame but Jones himself. If you wanna complain, point in his direction and tell him to stop bullshitting.

Did he really have to be stripped? It's not like the UFC doesn't have it's share of champions who fight once a year, or are averse to having "interim" champions. On top of that Dana once tried to bail a guy out of jail to get him out in time to fight, so it's not like he has much of a moral high ground here.

Anyway the reason people give DC shit is simple, he did not beat the champion to win the title, in fact, just one fight before he won the title, he got the brakes beat off him by the actual champion. Of course people are going to question the legitimacy of his "championship". He's an interim champion in everything but name.

BadAss2961

Did he really have to be stripped? It's not like the UFC doesn't have it's share of champions who fight once a year, or are averse to having "interim" champions. On top of that Dana once tried to bail a guy out of jail to get him out in time to fight, so it's not like he has much of a moral high ground here.

Anyway the reason people give DC shit is simple, he did not beat the champion to win the title, in fact, just one fight before he won the title, he got the brakes beat off him by the actual champion. Of course people are going to question the legitimacy of his "championship". He's an interim champion in everything but name.
I would've preferred to see him keep the title too, but in reality, how could they not strip him? Injuries are one thing, but he's had all types of problems and was facing jail time. The show has to go on. He could always get his shot once cleared and reinstated anyway, which is where we're at now.

Giving DC shit would be fair if he was in heel mode talking like he's the greatest ever while ducking Jones questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom