• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 240: Holloway vs. Edgar

5LH82BQ.jpg

cMlxf07.jpg

Source, other cards and starting times in your area.

Soz for the late thread.

Max is never boring, so will tune in for that. Cyborgs fight could be interesting. These nights with underwhelming cards normally deliver.

Paradicia

Holloway by TKO. Frankie is a legend but there's no way he can withstand the pressure of a fighter who has 6 inches on him and he's in this twilight stage of his career. Max is in his prime at 27, whereas Frankie is 10 years older and not gonna be fighting for much longer. The only way Frankie has a chance is if he takes Max down and keeps him there. At 155, Max will be the bigger guy - it's that simple and has more ways to find a finish.

omgmr7b7bxb31.jpg

Winter John

Gold Member
Felicia? Jesus Christ. Is that the best they can do for Cyborg. No wonder she doesn't like Dana. I get that not every fighter can challenge Cyborg the way Nunes did, but this is bum fight material. Spencer has one move, the rear choke hold. I guarantee Cyborg is not going to put up with that shit.

As I’ve said in the OT, the best thing Frankie has going for him is the timing. Max is coming off a lot of absorbed damage against Poirier at 155. I don’t think that’s gonna be enough though.

Frankie is one of my favorite fighters of all time but at this stage of his career I just think Max is too much.

I too am going with TKO prediction for Max. Probably round 3 or 4.

I love this fight for Spencer. She has nothing to lose. If she wins it’s a monstrous upset that propels her into the stratosphere. If she loses, well she was supposed to, if we’re being honest. I think Cyborg wins convincingly, but am kinda stealth rooting for Spencer with the underdog appeal.

I’m going Price over Neal.

Thanks for the thread as usual, Unknown Quantity Unknown Quantity

Last edited:
Felicia? Jesus Christ. Is that the best they can do for Cyborg. No wonder she doesn't like Dana. I get that not every fighter can challenge Cyborg the way Nunes did, but this is bum fight material. Spencer has one move, the rear choke hold. I guarantee Cyborg is not going to put up with that shit.

On Ariel’s show yesterday, Spencer was asked if she was surprised to be fighting Cyborg so soon and she answered, “Well, who else is there in the division?”

I mean, she’s right.

The women’s 145 division is one of the weirdest situations I’ve ever seen in the UFC since I’ve followed MMA.

They create the division for Cyborg. In preparation for Cyborg’s arrival they hold a title match between GDR and Holm so Cyborg is challenging a “champion” for her first UFC fight. GDR Beats Holm controversially, then months pass with radio silence as she seemingly doesn’t want the Cyborg fight.

The belt is relinquished. Cyborg comes in and fights 135ers who are basically just being fed to her for a nice paycheck. They bring over Megan Anderson as she’s a legit 145er, size wise, but that fight falls through and then Megan loses to Holm and Spencer by getting hopelessly outgrappled each time.

They hold a season of TUF featuring female 145ers in hopes to inject life onto the division roster. Then, the chick who wins the season and signs the contract immediately announces she’s moving down to 135, basically defeating the entire purpose.

Nunes then knocks Cyborg out cold, and here we are now.

It’s basically a division that barely really exists from a sporting perspective and is more there to sell a couple Cyborg fights and now get extra draw with Nunes’ Champ-Champ status

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
On Ariel’s show yesterday, Spencer was asked if she was surprised to be fighting Cyborg so soon and she answered, “Well, who else is there in the division?”

I mean, she’s right.

The women’s 145 division is one of the weirdest situations I’ve ever seen in the UFC since I’ve followed MMA.

They create the division for Cyborg. In preparation for Cyborg’s arrival they hold a title match between GDR and Holm so Cyborg is challenging a “champion” for her first UFC fight. GDR Beats Holm controversially, then months pass with radio silence as she seemingly doesn’t want the Cyborg fight.

The belt is relinquished. Cyborg comes in and fights 135ers who are basically just being fed to her for a nice paycheck. They bring over Megan Anderson as she’s a legit 145er, size wise, but that fight falls through and then Megan loses to Holm and Spencer by getting hopelessly outgrappled each time.

They hold a season of TUF featuring female 145ers in hopes to inject life onto the division roster. Then, the chick who wins the season and signs the contract immediately announces she’s moving down to 135, basically defeating the entire purpose.

Nunes then knocks Cyborg out cold, and here we are now.

It’s basically a division that barely really exists from a sporting perspective and is more there to sell a couple Cyborg fights and now get extra draw with Nunes’ Champ-Champ status

I was hoping Cyborg was going to quit the UFC and go have a rematch with Baars. Baars has said she'd be up for another fight so it might happen.

Other than the 2 main events I'm not expecting much. Last weeks card was pretty unenventful too. Happy to see Max back after that pretty concise loss to Poirier. Holloway is easily one of my favorite fighters on the roster, it's hard not to like the guy, plus he's a fellow Hawaiian, so there's that too. I don't think it's gonna be an easy fight for Holloway, but I do expect his boxing to make the difference and pull out the win. Should be awesome. Also glad to see Cyborg, she's my favorite female fighter and I expect her to roll through Spencer rather easily. If ANY fighter has ever deserved a title rematch it's her. She went undefeated forever and lost swinging like a warrior to another amazing female fighter. I hope that the UFC wisens up and pays her the money she deserves.

Ornlu

Banned
Can't say I know of anyone on this card other than the main event, co-main, and alexis davis. Anybody else on the card I should make sure to check out?

TrainedRage

Banned
Koch won with the solid late ground game.

-------------
Joe "she looks scary" Rogan

these are two bad bitches right here.

O.O REVERSE TRIANGLE
interesting so far

Last edited:
Korean guy gonna murder.

Come on Choi!

Choi can gas him, just some discipline and stay off the clinch so he can't get a breather. Good contest.

Tucker has GSPs coach in his corner. Listen to him, good advice for the final round. Equal now at least after that -1.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Horie is making me nervous lunging like that...I'm just waiting for something to land really clean.

Top Bottom