• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy

Cowboy or McGregor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What a mismatch. Ceronne (who seems to lose all the time the past few years) is going to get killed by McGregor.

I hope McGregor loses, but I don't see him doing so.

mekes

Did someone just suggest Conor is hurting for money

Hurting for money like suffocating, or mental anguish at not being able to comprehend his bank balance? 😀

I do bet he has had to pay some hefty fines and penalties these last few years but I bet he is still a rich man.

Conor is acting so different this week that he might even be on time for his own conference. That is what will make me believe he is a changed man.

Gotta admit, found this conference a bit boring. Im not used to this fancy pants Conor, too much dick riding and ball sucking. Its nice to see for sure that two athletes respect each other but considering who the two are, meh pretty tame.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
not what i was expecting but i still liked the conference. i wanna see mcgregors fight but uuuggghhh i have like no absolute interest in the other fights its hard for me to drop the cash on just conor's fight

I've been a big Conor stan in the past but I am tired of his stupid antics. Jon Jones lite and shit. I hope he really has his shit together because a humble, hungry Conor is best.

I love Cowboy too though and wish him the best but this fight seems lined up for Conor to get a knockout against a guy who will stand and throw with him.

I have a feeling that this one will be violent and brutal. Conor has a great chin so I doubt he gets KO'd but anything is possible in the fight game. Cowboy on the other hand has been KO'd his fair share.

My prediction:

If Conor is truly at his best then this will go 1 maybe 2 rounds before he KO's Cowboy.

If Conor's heart isn't actually in it and this is an act I think this goes 4-5 rounds with a possible decision.

If Cowboy lands some head kicks, anything is possible.

GymWolf

Are you guys betting?

I kinda want to put 200-300 euros on mcgregor 2 round ko but he so fucking favourite from bookmakers that you earn almost nothing.

DKehoe

Are you guys betting?

I kinda want to put 200-300 euros on mcgregor 2 round ko but he so fucking favourite from bookmakers that you earn almost nothing.

I don’t usually bet but if I did I’d be hesitant to put money down on McGregor. He is such an unknown quantity after his time away. With all the madness going on in his personal life I just don’t know what to expect from him.

GymWolf

I don’t usually bet but if I did I’d be hesitant to put money down on McGregor. He is such an unknown quantity after his time away. With all the madness going on in his personal life I just don’t know what to expect from him.
I don't think he is gonna lose against cerrone, if he really wants masvidal or khabib, he can't lose and he is not a stupid man, he knows business.

For me is an even more one sided match than colby vs usman.

mekes

I don't think he is gonna lose against cerrone, if he really wants masvidal or khabib, he can't lose and he is not a stupid man, he knows business.

You have more faith in Conor than I do. Admittedly I am unsure but just want to see a good fight. A part of me generally feels the way that you do, but I also feel unsure and don’t want to dismiss Cowboy. A part of me feels Conor couldnt handle an honest title run at 155 or 170, especially 170. I think he loses to Masvidal, Tony, Khabib, Usman, Covington, Lee, just off the top of my head. He still pretends Nate Diaz is some kind of giant and a top welterweight. Conor said he didn’t train seriously for Khabib which is a red flag.

But all of that stuff is what interests me about this fight. There is a certain air of mystery around Conors return. I will be overjoyed if in the first minute of the fight Cowboy walks to the centre of the octagon and lands 2 big leg kicks. I think Cowboy can win if he stands firm and uses some of his tools that Conor can’t match. The worst thing I think Cowboy could do would be to start out cautious because Conors movement and boxing precision is IMO much better.

GymWolf

You have more faith in Conor than I do. Admittedly I am unsure but just want to see a good fight. A part of me generally feels the way that you do, but I also feel unsure and don’t want to dismiss Cowboy. A part of me feels Conor couldnt handle an honest title run at 155 or 170, especially 170. I think he loses to Masvidal, Tony, Khabib, Usman, Covington, Lee, just off the top of my head. He still pretends Nate Diaz is some kind of giant and a top welterweight. Conor said he didn’t train seriously for Khabib which is a red flag.

But all of that stuff is what interests me about this fight. There is a certain air of mystery around Conors return. I will be overjoyed if in the first minute of the fight Cowboy walks to the centre of the octagon and lands 2 big leg kicks. I think Cowboy can win if he stands firm and uses some of his tools that Conor can’t match. The worst thing I think Cowboy could do would be to start out cautious because Conors movement and boxing precision is IMO much better.
and i fucking hate the guy 😆

if he lose BAD i'm gonna run naked on the streets...

highrider

Banned
Connor is either going to show everyone he still has some of his best stuff/new tricks, or he really is done. He looks good physically, he’s moving well. If Connor decides he wants to stop acting a fool and play his position I’d totally be a fan again.

I won't vote against my boy Cowboy, but he definitely has a tough fight ahead. I really love the fight. McGregor does look like he's in a lot better mind space than he was with the Khabib fight. The card overall is kinda weak, but there are a couple of bangers on their. I look forward to seeing Yusuff do some work, Petis is called Showtime for a reason and there's always potential for something amazing to happen with him, Holm's needs a win and Raquel Pennington had that awesome bulldog blood squirting choke at the last second against Evan's-Smith a while back that has made me a fan..

and Claudia Gadelha......
giphy.gif

Last edited:

DKehoe

He could get the Masvidal fight coming off a loss. But as long as Nurmagomedov, which is the biggest fight for him, is champion he will need to be coming off a win to get a title shot.

SpiceRacz

Not understanding where the doubt in Conor is coming from. I also think the concerns about his cardio are overstated. He'll probably walk through Cerrone. Cerrone fights with his fucking chin straight up and h uses zero head movement.

Not understanding where the doubt in Conor is coming from. I also think the concerns about his cardio are overstated. He'll probably walk through Cerrone. Cerrone fights with his fucking chin straight up and h uses zero head movement.
This is simply not true. Cerrone's head movement is fine and he's a very well rounded fighter that is no cakewalk for anyone. Of his last 5 fights he lost two to fighters that on any given day could be the world champion in Gaethje and Ferguson, the three he won were against younger, faster opponents too. What he did to Alexander Hernandez was super impressive as EVERYONE had already written him a loss to the younger, faster, stronger fighter.

tumblr_ogyuziGlqU1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

Notice that Cerrone hasn't even gone Super Saiyan before he threw that 4 hit combo while Connor HAD to go Super Saiyan to get Alvarez down? It's Science.

McGregor looks great though and he definitely seems to be in a more focused mindset than he was in the Khabib fight. Leading up to the Khabib fight he just came off as irrational, emotional, and plainly...kinda drunk. He seems poised to do a lot better this time around. His full interview with Helwani was great and kinda gave you a peak into what was going on. Hell, he seems more focused now than even a few months back where he looked like he was on coke being interviewed by Helwani.

After this though regardless of how Cerrone/McGregor plays out, we NEED to see Diaz/McGregor III. IT HAS TO HAPPEN.

Last edited:
FIGHT DAY
giphy.gif

Got some Hawaiian style pulled pork cooking in the slow roaster for some pulled pork sandwhiches, my Mom is gonna make some of her secret recipe fried rice and my buddies are all bringing the beer and snacks. Hell, I think I've got like 10 or so people coming over, the wife and I have been cleaning and prepping all day. Feels like it's been forever since I've had a proper MMA party, easily a few months.

Last edited:
JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered I just don't see Khabib taking that fight. I'd love to see it, but Khabib is right, he doesn't deserve the shot. And history has shown that Khabib is more than willing to sit out rather than break his convictions. Usman is a tough fight for anyone, I think he'd make short work out of McGregor by wrestle fucking him to death, it'd be boring, but Usman win's that bout I'd bet. Masvidal is a good fight as they both like to stand and bang, but I think Masvidal is too big for McGregor and he'd be facing a tough fight too.

I'd say his best bet is to stay 155 and make a statement. It all depends on what happens with Khabib/Ferguson. Connor does one more fight after this, assuming he wins, he fights the loser of Khabib/Ferguson and if he wins that, he gets a shot at the belt. He's been gone from the game for almost 2 years and hasn't won a fight in 4. He needs to put some work in. 2 high caliber fights with undeniable finishes would make it impossible for anyone to ignore.

Last edited:
Just to add to what I wrote:

I don’t think Conor would deserve a title shot with a win over Cowboy, I don’t even think he would deserve a BAMF shot or, whatever it would be called, against Masvidal, I just think that’s where the money is so that’s where Conor will try to go if he wins.

also want to echo that I’m bummed that Claudia is out, probably my biggest MMA crush

highrider

Banned
giphy.gif

Got some Hawaiian style pulled pork cooking in the slow roaster for some pulled pork sandwhiches, my Mom is gonna make some of her secret recipe fried rice and my buddies are all bringing the beer and snacks. Hell, I think I've got like 10 or so people coming over, the wife and I have been cleaning and prepping all day. Feels like it's been forever since I've had a proper MMA party, easily a few months.

I’m on my way! 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom