• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 269: Oliveira vs. Poirier

Oliveira or Poirier?

• Oliveira by decision.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poirier by TKO (doctor stoppage).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpiceRacz

well-shiit.gif

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Don't think it'll reach championship rounds, RNC by the 3rd round. Poirier has a punchers chance & maybe a bit more but I'd rather see Gaethje or more deservedly the winner of Makhechev v Dariush get the next title shot.

Conor has two fights left on his contract. Don't really care who he fights, the exhibition route after ufc better for him & mma imo.

Nunez should be easy win as well as she has no competition till the ufc sign Kayla Harrison at least.

O'malley is gonna wisely continue as a free agent after his contract is done I think. Woodley will have made more money in his two fights against Jake Paul than he has in his UFC Career. That's a better route for Sean than the UFC.

mystic UQ predicts these tings

GymWolf

Like i said, oliveira is a much better fighter than washed up mcgregor, good win for olives.

Embarassing performance by nunes, pena throwes punches like a retarded orangutan and he still clipped her...i was expecting much better chin from someone who traded blows with cyborg.

Justin is gonna get submitted in the first round against charles.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
All fighters escaped much damage, It was Nunes choice to let Peña after a fleet of takedown or falls, no longer can you question Charles who destroyed Dustin and who is confirmed just a Connor killer. It’s unclear if Dustin can win against a bigger star than Connor.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Like i said, oliveira is a much better fighter than washed up mcgregor, good win for olives.

Embarassing performance by nunes, pena throwes punches like a retarded orangutan and he still clipped her...i was expecting much better chin from someone who traded blows with cyborg.

Justin is gonna get submitted in the first round against charles.
So true. It's not like Pena was super fast or sneaky. She was a like a heavyweight just launching big sweeping bombs you could see a mile away. Yet Nunes just stood there trading blows instead of moving around.

I dont follow Nunes aside from knowing she's destroyed opponents for years. But maybe she's not technically great, but simply overpowers others? Kind of like Rousey overpowering opponents with her charge and grapple game. Stand toe to toe with her trading blows and she's nothing. Maybe Nunes is the same. If her aggressive bulldog style doesnt work she has nothing else.

Last edited:
mystic UQ predicts these tings
He lost to Khabib via RNC in the 3rd as well. Like a few have said already his groundgame is not good enough at the top tier & he needed a KO. Poirier only went for the head while Charles was varied & the knees to the body were very smart in a 5 rounder as well as GnP in the 2nd round. I see the same in the Gaethje match.

Amanda had the same reach as Pena & when the one two didn't work she couldn't change, go southpaw, something. Will Pena give her a rematch or tell her to wait like Amanda did Cyborg?

MaestroMike

Gold Member
He lost to Khabib via RNC in the 3rd as well. Like a few have said already his groundgame is not good enough at the top tier & he needed a KO. Poirier only went for the head while Charles was varied & the knees to the body were very smart in a 5 rounder as well as GnP in the 2nd round. I see the same in the Gaethje match.

Amanda had the same reach as Pena & when the one two didn't work she couldn't change, go southpaw, something. Will Pena give her a rematch or tell her to wait like Amanda did Cyborg?

she said in the the post conference that she'll do what the ufc wants so if they wanna set up the rematch next I think she'll accept

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
she said in the the post conference that she'll do what the ufc wants so if they wanna set up the rematch next I think she'll accept
I always hated in boxing and MMA the way they schedule fights isnt even based on performance, but more about ticket draw. Where they do rematches and rematches. Fury vs Wilder III.

I get it though. It's all about maximizing ticket draw as viewers are begging for a rematch.

Since modern day champs the past 20-30 years only fight once (maybe twice) per year, you got all the rest of the top fighters waiting for their chance which might not come for another few years.

Back in the old day of boxing, those guys would defend belts 3-4 times per year. Not sure what the frequency of MMA title defences were way back.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Good win for Olives. Still think Khabib would beat his ass.
I know that we say this for every contender, but charles would be khabib toughest challenge to date.

Good on the feet, resilient, incredible on the ground, khabib never fought anyone remotely close to oliveira when it comes to submissions (i guess training with Islam is as close as it can get)

If oliveira has the guillotine that poirier had in the second round of their fight, khabib is done.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I know that we say this for every contender, but charles would be khabib toughest challenge to date.

Good on the feet, resilient, incredible on the ground, khabib never fought anyone remotely close to oliveira when it comes to submissions (i guess training with Islam is as close as it can get)

If oliveira has the guillotine that poirier had in the second round of their fight, khabib is done.

Khabib is one of the smartest fighters i’ve seen in the UFC. He would def not put himself in that position against Olives. He’s simple too smart for that. He preps himself really well before every fight you can almost sense it in the first round of every fights he’s been in. Dude face has never been cut, no blood. He has basically never been hurt in any serious manner during all his fights in the UFC. That’s not normal. Look at Olives face after the win and compare it to khabib’s win vs porier. The guy is on a different level then the rest.

Islam vs Olives is a very interesting one because of the similarities between Khabib and Islam. Thats the closest w’ll get to see a fight between Olives vs ”Khabib”.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Khabib is one of the smartest fighters i’ve seen in the UFC. He would def not put himself in that position against Olives. He’s simple too smart for that. He preps himself really well before every fight you can almost sense it in the first round of every fights he’s been in. Dude face has never been cut, no blood. He has basically never been hurt in any serious manner during all his fights in the UFC. That’s not normal. Look at Olives face after the win and compare it to khabib’s win vs porier. The guy is on a different level then the rest.

Islam vs Olives is a very interesting one because of the similarities between Khabib and Islam. Thats the closest w’ll get to see a fight between Olives vs ”Khabib”.
He was so smart to walk through justin punches and kicks that ko/weaken other people at the risk of getting knocked the fuck out, he was lucky that justin didn't landed flush on his chin with the right angle, unless you think that khabib is made of vibranium and can't be koed, but that's more natural gift than being smart because if that is the case, vettori is the smarter fighter in the roster...

If he ended in that position against poirier, you can't say for sure that he is not gonna end in the same position against someone who is 10x times better in the submission department.

GymWolf

Conor has those starting 3 min where he can dispatch oliveira with a flash ko, after that, is oliveira fight to lose.

Top Bottom