• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington - T-Mobile Arena - December 16

Who wins: Edwards or Covington? Pantoja or Royval? Rakhmonov or Thompson?

• Edwards, Pantoja, Rakhmonov.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Edwards, Royval, Rakhmonov.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Edwards, Pantoja, Thompson.

• Edwards, Royval, Thompson.

• Covington, Pantoja, Rakhmonov.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Covington, Royval, Rakhmonov.

• Covington, Pantoja, Thompson.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Covington, Royval, Thompson.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ikbalCO

You gotta love colby man. Zero character, total douche. :D

He has to get better. Work out, train a lot.

Where there are just too many good guys, ufc need a villain like him

MaestroMike

Gold Member
thought it was gonna be more even lol congrats to edwards he made this fight look pretty easy alright i guess its belal next...or maybe even shavkat :messenger_beaming:

That looked more like an average Mayweather fight then a good UFC fight. Colby wasn't on his game at all, or he just couldn't keep up with with Leon's speed when they were standing up.

It's weird to see this post-fight interview, surprised that Edwards actually took it seriously when Colby was trying to talk his shit and get in his head. I would have expected Leon to shrug it off but it seems like he took it personally.

I still can't honestly tell if Colby is actually playing a character or not whenever he talks. He think he's in the WWE or something?

Kings Field

Colby shit the bed. What an embarrassing performance after all that shit talking. Would have been better to be knocked out than put up that shit performance.

I’m tired of the UFC giving these washed up hasbeens rematches and title fights when they haven’t done shit in years. Should have been Belals fight tonight.

Make rankings and activity matter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A terrible final fight. Covington did almost nothing all 5 rounds. Just played the perimeter game for 3 rounds and did a handful of takedown attempts the final two rounds.

A fat slob who has never had a fist fight in life getting thrown into the octagon against Edwards would throw more punches. It was such an odd fight it looked rigged.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Didn't get to watch, but so glad Covington lost.

Dude is such a prick.

Donald Trump Thumbs Up GIF by UFC

SpiceRacz

Saw a stat earlier, 125 - 170, there's only been 2 instances of someone 35 or older winning a title fight. I think that's important to consider when analyzing this fight, rather than just saying "Colby sucks and was never good."

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Nice edit. I'm sure you didn't form your opinion of him based on his association with Trump.
My edit has everything to do with Trump. I just wanted to be more specific. He is doing the same song and dance common with that low level bracket of grifters that shout their "views" loudly in hopes that it garners them attention and more importantly MONEY. Trying to appear a certain way in order to garner support from a particular crowd regardless of whether or not he is a true believer. He knows he is on the way out in MMA so he wants his name and "brand" out there while he can so he picks the loudest option available. Intentionally controversial because he knows that is what will get clicks and get fans. Shouting his support of world peace will not get him headlines. He knows that. You really think he is going to lose his belt in a PPV match and then spend most of his post fight interview talking about *insert polarizing political figure here* spontaneously? Really? There is not a chance in hell.

Not for one second do I actually believe that Colby Covington gives a shit about Trump or his politics. He just wants that cherry right wing grifting cash that is plentiful these days. He wants that stream of fools ready to give money to *insert big name here* that agrees with my politics. And before you say anything yes I know that song and dance equally applies to fakers and grifters from the other side of the aisle as well. I'm just saying that when it comes down to it this is all a game and that he is playing it to the letter just like every other grifter that is trying to make a few dimes off the angst of the masses.

As a result of that grifting he is in fact.....a prick. Like I originally said. I will leave it there though because of the politics rules.

EDIT: I know I danced the politics line there EviLore EviLore and staff I only wanted to be very clear in the broader meaning of what I said when it comes to public figures shilling "politics" when in reality its just a front to get clicks or support. Left and Right both shout this or that in order to get attention. Get that sweet support and cash. I am not trying to do a political debate or anything. I'm just pointing out that grifting along political lines is by no means a one sided issue or one that doesn't exist. It is a very real and very much a social problem. Not a political one.

Grifters gonna grift. No matter what the color of your hair is. Covington obviously knows that and is acting accordingly. It is his whole act and with him being 35 in the MMA game he is laying the foundation for his post fight career with his behavior.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Jesus fucking christ.
For what its worth I genuinely respect his dedication to the hustle after losing the fight. Not many would be that dedicated to the bit.

That dude is full send at all times and doesn't give a shit if people know it. I don't like it, but I can respect the gall.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

like a python 18 wins 18 finishes

He looked at what Belal did and did the exact same thing.
This fight was so boring -.- , we usually get fight like this when fighters aren't confortable going on the ground.

Put any good BJJ grappler in that situation and they would rather give their back than getting pushed against the cage for 10 minutes.
Wonderboy should have chosen Glory instead of MMA, he would have been double triple champ by now.

Futaleufu

Covington is done getting title shots and PPVs after that fight. I doubt people will buy his schtick after last night as he was booed at the end. His future is gatekeeping or retirement.

GymWolf

Colby is absolutely done, what a shit performance.

Leon wasn't much better, he fought like an even more passive dogbender, he should have destroyed colby with counters.

Top Bottom