• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC: Conor McGregor to fight Nate Diaz instead of Dos Anjos at 170 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just announced on ESPN live by Dana White.

Conor is going to jump 2 weight classes for this fight... and jump 1 weight class in 2 weeks.

Update 1: Official Press Release

Press Release said:
Perennial lightweight contender Nate Diaz had plenty of words for UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor after his win over Michael Johnson in December. Now on Saturday, March 5, the Stockton native will get to fight "The Notorious" one in the five-round main event of UFC 196 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The main event change came about on Tuesday, when McGregor's original opponent, UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos, was forced out of the bout due to injury. Diaz agreed to step in for the bout against Dublin's McGregor, with the fight taking place at 170 pounds.

In the UFC 196 co-main event, women's bantamweight champion Holly Holm defends her title for the first time against Miesha Tate. Tickets are on sale now.

McGregor has been calling his shots in the UFC since his debut in the promotion in 2013, and the man dubbed by many as “Mystic Mac” has been on target with his Ali-esque predictions. Sailing to the top of the featherweight division in the space of seven fights, the 27-year-old capped off his rise with 2015 knockouts of Dennis Siver and Chad Mendes, and a stunning 13-second finish of Jose Aldo. The 145-pound champion was seeking more gold at 155 pounds, but with Dos Anjos' injury, that fight will have to wait. Instead, McGregor gets to settle a score with Diaz.

A former Ultimate Fighter winner who has been a member of the UFC roster since 2007, 30-year-old Nate Diaz has been thrilling fans at 155 and 170 pounds for years, with victories over Donald Cerrone, Takanori Gomi and Jim Miller, among others. Winner of two of his last three, Diaz knocked out Gray Maynard and decisioned "The Menace" Johnson to soar up to the number six spot in the lightweight rankings, and with a win over McGregor, he could put himself in the mix for a rematch against Dos Anjos.

Update 2: Live Press Conference, 4PM EST, 2016-02-22

BadAss2961

Fuck! Was really looking forward to that fight.

Nate is kinda tailor made for Conor. The height and reach could be a factor though.

zewone

170lbs really favors Diaz.

I had McGregor by TKO, but now with this weight advantage I could see Diaz muscling a submission.

Rizific

is nate the diaz that acts like a huge douche bag? wait, mcgregor also acts like a huge douche bag. this should be a fun watch.

BadAss2961

is nate the diaz that acts like a huge douche bag? wait, mcgregor also acts like a huge douche bag. this should be a fun watch.
Both Diaz bros act like douchebags lol. Both fan favorites too.

The shit talking between Nate and Conor should be good.

170lbs really favors Diaz.

I had McGregor by TKO, but now with this weight advantage I could see Diaz muscling a submission.

Yeah, the extra weight class jump is the x-factor here.

I'm not sure what Conor's natural weight is, but it considering his training regimen has been for 155, this is bound to have a big impact.

Rachel_slapping.gif

Official Press Release

Press Release said:
Perennial lightweight contender Nate Diaz had plenty of words for UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor after his win over Michael Johnson in December. Now on Saturday, March 5, the Stockton native will get to fight "The Notorious" one in the five-round main event of UFC 196 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The main event change came about on Tuesday, when McGregor's original opponent, UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos, was forced out of the bout due to injury. Diaz agreed to step in for the bout against Dublin's McGregor, with the fight taking place at 170 pounds.

In the UFC 196 co-main event, women's bantamweight champion Holly Holm defends her title for the first time against Miesha Tate. Tickets are on sale now.

McGregor has been calling his shots in the UFC since his debut in the promotion in 2013, and the man dubbed by many as “Mystic Mac” has been on target with his Ali-esque predictions. Sailing to the top of the featherweight division in the space of seven fights, the 27-year-old capped off his rise with 2015 knockouts of Dennis Siver and Chad Mendes, and a stunning 13-second finish of Jose Aldo. The 145-pound champion was seeking more gold at 155 pounds, but with Dos Anjos' injury, that fight will have to wait. Instead, McGregor gets to settle a score with Diaz.

A former Ultimate Fighter winner who has been a member of the UFC roster since 2007, 30-year-old Nate Diaz has been thrilling fans at 155 and 170 pounds for years, with victories over Donald Cerrone, Takanori Gomi and Jim Miller, among others. Winner of two of his last three, Diaz knocked out Gray Maynard and decisioned "The Menace" Johnson to soar up to the number six spot in the lightweight rankings, and with a win over McGregor, he could put himself in the mix for a rematch against Dos Anjos.

darscot

This could be a mistake for Conner, this is so short sighted. UFC taking advantage because Conner has crazy confidence. He gets rocked and his fall could be on par with Ronda.

manfestival

Nate diaz is a great fighter but it seems like all of the greater fighters get to beat him up when the opportunity arises. I am not really a fan of the call but diaz is good for these sorta situations. Oh well.... far less interesting to see this happening and I do hope that connor wins. It would be annoying for him to fall before getting taken out by don anjos

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
This could be a mistake for Conner, this is so short sighted. UFC taking advantage because Conner has crazy confidence. He gets rocked and his fall could be on par with Ronda.

No because he can say he took a short notice opponent change 25 pounds heavier than his primary weight class and 15 pounds heavier than his scheduled weight class on short notice.

Unless he gets absolutely tooled and destroyed of course.

ApharmdX

Banned
Nate is a good fighter. Nick is the better of the two brothers, but Nate is no joke. He's very tough, with good BJJ, has only been finished once with strikes, never subbed, and his style of boxing combined with reach frustrates a lot of guys. I hope Conor is going to get huge money for this fight, because going to 170 on a few days notice to fight a guy who has a totally different game than RDA is ballsy.

Ryck

I hate the Diaz brothers but this seems really risky for Connor. Looks like he's heavily favored by fans and bookies alike. Am I the only one who feels like Nate could/should win this.

I hate the Diaz brothers but this seems really risky for Connor. Looks like he's heavily favored by fans and bookies alike. Am I the only one who feels like Nate could/should win this.

Diaz definitely has a good chance. He'll be motivated too, but not sure if he has been training/keeping in shape. Depending on the odds, it might be a good bet.

Conor and Dana are going to cry if Conor gets injured badly in this....but I guess Nate isn't really that much bigger than Conor at walking around weight?

Zeliard

Very interesting fight @ 170. Nate's problem at that weight class, and generally, is getting out-muscled by stronger guys in the clinch and on the ground. That's how the majority of his losses have come, and it's also why he left 170 back in the day. The Diaz brothers excel at fighting guys like McGregor who keep it standing and don't grapple much, and instead prefer to pepper and finish guys from the outside. It's exceedingly difficult to win a fight against a Diaz brother with a similar style.

Two things to keep an eye out for in this fight are Conor's kicks and Nate's ground game. Conor's kicking is what makes him such an unpredictable striker and opens up his hands, and if Nate's ego doesn't get the best of him and he doesn't insist on keeping it standing, he could well submit him. This is a winnable fight for Nate but I question how long he'd be able to keep it standing, even with his chin. Conor's left isn't going to be any weaker two weight classes above. Having said that, we also don't know how Conor can handle volume punching, and he's only fought past the 2nd round once in his career.

Fun times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom