• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ugandan gay rights activist David Kato killed after newspaper outed him

Status
Not open for further replies.
David-Kato-was-murdered-w-007.jpg

One of Uganda's most prominent gay rights activists has been murdered in his home weeks after winning a court victory over a tabloid that called for homosexuals to be killed. David Kato, the advocacy officer for Sexual Minorities Uganda, was bludgeoned to death in Mukono, Kampala, yesterday afternoon. Witnesses saw a man fleeing the scene in a car, and police are investigating. Along with other Ugandan gay activists, Kato had reported increased harassment since 3 January, when a high court judge granted a permanent injunction against the Rolling Stone tabloid newspaper, preventing it from identifying homosexuals in its pages. Late last year, Kato had been pictured on the front page of an issue carrying the headline "Hang Them". He was one of the three complainants in the court case.

"Since the ruling, David said people had been harassing him, and warning they would 'deal with him,'" Julian Pepe Onziema, a close friend and fellow gay rights activist, said. "We were due to meet yesterday [Wednesday] to discuss security arrangements, but he said he did not have money to get to town. A few hours after we spoke, his phone was off." Human Rights Watch said it was too early to speculate why Kato had been killed, but added that there were serious concerns about the level of protection of members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Kampala. Maria Burnett, the Uganda researcher for Human Rights Watch, urged a "real and substantive investigation" into the murder. News of Kato's murder came after a lesbian due to be deported from Britain to Uganda said she feared she would be killed if she was returned. Brenda Namigadde, 29 – who fled Uganda in 2003 after being threatened over her relationship with her Canadian partner – is being held at Yarl's Wood detention centre.

She told the Guardian: "I'll be tortured or killed if I'm sent back to Uganda. They've put people like me to death there. Most of my friends in Uganda have disappeared." Her initial asylum claim was rejected, in part on the basis that there was not sufficient evidence that she is a lesbian. Ugandan society is, in general, homophobic – but in recent years the anti-gay feeling has been stoked by religious leaders, a group of US evangelicals and politicians. In 2009, MP David Bahati introduced the anti-homosexuality bill, which calls for gay people to be imprisoned for life. Repeat offenders would face the death penalty, while Ugandans would be required to report any homosexual activity within 24 hours or face police action themselves. Widely condemned internationally, the bill remains before parliament. Kato was one of the leading voices against the legislation.
Source

Original GAF thread discussing the newspaper's original publication

Al-ibn Kermit

That's horrible but it's really not surprising. I think I heard that the organization that Kato worked for actually has to move it's offices every few months due to the violence.

Super backwards thinking right here. Disgusting behavior. Goes to show that fundamentalists of any religion are capable of heinous crimes.

Masked Man

I said wow
Absolutely sickening. ;__;
It's bad enough that the Religious Right exists in the U.S., but it's appalling to hear of the influence they're having outside of the country as well.
I hope they catch the people responsible and lock them away--that is, not just the man who committed the crime, but the leaders who preach the intolerance that has poisoned their society.

Aurora

Simply disgusting. I hope his family get serious compensation for his death, and I hope his death wasn't in vain.

nyong

Banned
Thank the UN. Even if this were government sanctioned, according to the "World Court" it's still perfectly legal.

xbhaskarx

What is the public reaction to the murder in Uganda?

Does the newspaper that was outing gays have anything to say about it?

Al-ibn Kermit

The police say that they caught somebody they believe responsible for the murder. They are still trying to find a roommate of Kato who was apparently known in the neighborhood for committing robberies (the Reuters article doesn't say if this is due to or previous actual arrests/convictions) and was seen leaving Kato's house wearing Kato's clothes. Several items are missing from Kato's home.

It doesn't sound like there's a really complete picture here. I have no idea how honest the police are being, of course with homosexuality being illegal there I wouldn't be surprised if they had no incentive to actually catch the perpetrator if the murder really was fueled by anti-homosexual sentiment.

Nikashi

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
What is the public reaction to the murder in Uganda?

Does the newspaper that was outing gays have anything to say about it?

Yeah and it's pretty sick what they had to say..

Rolling Stone Editor said:
"If he has been murdered, that's bad and we pray for his soul," Muhame said.

"There has been a lot of crime, it may not be because he is gay. We want the government to hang people who promote homosexuality, not for the public to attack them. We said they should be hanged, not stoned or attacked."

Yeah basically 'WE WANTED THEM TO BE KILLED BY THE GOVERNMENT, NOT RANDOM PEOPLE"

Jeff-DSA

I'm all for sharing the blame with the religious nut jobs in America, but I think you have to qualify it by saying that it's the religious extreme right, not just the religious right. The vast majority of right-leaning religious Americans would not advocate death toward gays.

And yes, I do categorize evangelical ministers that go stir up trouble in Africa as extremists.

Whoever thinks the current anti-gay political rhetoric in Uganda is not to blame for this is smoking crack. By extension, the Christian Conservatives in the US government who are members of "The Family" have blood on their hands too.

"bu bu bu but the killers were just bigots they would have done it regardless, you see hate crime in the US all the time too"

no. fuck you. this shit is insti-fucking-tutionalized.

Nikashi said:
Thank you, US Religious right.
Quoted for justice.

It's fucking sick how religious nutjobs can completely fuck up the morals of a society. The douchebags responsible for the "missionary work" in Africa should be put on trial.

nyong

Banned
Souldriver said:
It's fucking sick how religious nutjobs can completely fuck up the morals of a society. The douchebags responsible for the "missionary work" in Africa should be put on trial.
Wait, what? Homophobia didn't start with Christian missionaries...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
nyong said:
Wait, what? Homophobia didn't start with Christian missionaries...

Would you at least read what people post before responding?

Jenga

Banned
wait so why is GAF blaming US religious conservatives?

I didn't know they promoted the finding out and executing of homosexuals abroad

nyong

Banned
Jenga said:
wait so why is GAF blaming US religious conservatives?

I didn't know they promoted the finding out and executing of homosexuals abroad
It's just....weird. Must be some sort of left-wing myth (spam email?) as I've never heard it before. I wonder if they blame white Christian missionaries for homophobia in Islamic countries too?

nyong said:
It's just....weird. Must be some sort of left-wing myth (spam email?) as I've never heard it before. I wonder if they blame white Christian missionaries for homophobia in Islamic countries too?
The Associated Press said:
The legislation was drawn up following a visit by leaders of U.S. conservative Christian ministries that promote therapy they say allows gays to become heterosexual.
'Hang Them': Uganda Paper Publishes Photos Of Gays

btkadams

nyong said:
you guys seriously need to google this stuff. it's been posted on gaf many times. it is not a myth.

nyong said:
oh you would spout some knee-jerk false equivalence bullshit. bla bla the left does it too bla bla the left is just as bad as the right bla bla NO.

Just because there are so many right wing emails that go around spreading lies which turn into right wing talking points used by elected politicians that are apparently legitimate and believed by their base doesn't mean that everything a left winger says has the same origin.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=120746516

GROSS: This legislation has just been proposed. It hasn't been signed into law. So it's not in effect yet and it might never be in effect. But it's on the table. It's before parliament. So is there a direct connection between The Family and this proposed anti-homosexual legislation in Uganda?

Mr. SHARLET: Well, the legislator that introduced the bill, a guy named David Bahati, is a member of The Family. He appears to be a core member of The Family. He works, he organizes their Ugandan National Prayer Breakfast and oversees a African sort of student leadership program designed to create future leaders for Africa, into which The Family has poured millions of dollars working through a very convoluted chain of linkages passing the money over to Uganda.
tl;dr: The Ugandan legislator who introduced the bill advocating for execution of homosexuals is a member of the American group of elected officials called "The Family", along with John Ensign, Norm Coleman, Tom Coburn and many other elected representatives and senators from the Christian Right.

Had you read the linked article in the OP you would know this.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
nyong said:
It is not. Far right American evangelicals are trying to start anti-gay movements all over Africa, spewing the kind of venom that would cost them dearly in the States. Things have been rough for LGTB people in Africa since, well, forever, but the situation is now devolving into something else.

Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda Anti-Gay Push

INPAQ

Neo Member
Even though many complain on how unjust it is to be gay in America (which it is), it is far more tolerable than dealing with the homophobic toture in countless other foreign contries..

nyong

Banned
Funky Papa said:
It is not. Far right American evangelicals are trying to start anti-gay movements all over Africa, spewing the kind of venom that would cost them dearly in the States.
Ok. American "evangelicals" have also started anti-gay movements in the United States as well. And failed. Unless you can point to specifics incitements to violence in Africa by white Christian missionaries, your argument doesn't hold any water. At all.

Even then, if you're going to generalize about all Christian missionaries you're going to need to find more than a single example from a single organization.

nyong

Banned
polyh3dron said:
tl;dr: The Ugandan legislator who introduced the bill advocating for execution of homosexuals is a member of the American group of elected officials called "The Family", along with John Ensign, Norm Coleman, Tom Coburn and many other elected representatives and senators from the Christian Right.
...and multiple members of the United Nations World Court recently voted to legalize the arbitrary execution of people for no other reason than being gay. At least in this case there's an explicit connection.

nyong said:
Ok. American "evangelicals" have also started anti-gay movements in the United States as well. And failed. Unless you can point to specifics incitements to violence in Africa by white Christian missionaries, your argument doesn't hold any water. At all.

Even then, if you're going to generalize about all Christian missionaries you're going to need to find more than a single example from a single organization.
Supporting legislation that orders the execution of homosexuals is incitement in my opinion.

Everybody should watch this.

This is the documentary that contains "the poo-poo" priest.

It's actually very very interesting and gives you huge insight on the terrible situation.

Everybody should watch.

nyong said:

Watch the video I linked to. Bascially this started because crazy evangelical missionaries converted Ugadans (including those high in rank) and preeched how homosexuality was a horrendous sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom