• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ugh, i thought ATI X1800 cards would support AGP

Gio_CoD

Banned
This whole PCI Express thing is retarded. AGP 8x isn't even maxed out yet and they're moving on to a new format. Add on top of the fact that a ton of people don't have PCI express slots and they're only costing themselves sales.

I just bought a new computer in February. It doesn't have PCI Express. Should I seriously order a new motherboard just so I can spend more money on a new video card?

The best AGP card you can buy is the Radeon X850 XTPE, sadly. The nVidia 7800 line and the X1800 line are all exclusively PCI-E, although I heard a buzz that there may be AGP versions of both eventually from some of the third-party manufacturers. Has there been a reference board for an AGP model of either chipset?

Mashing

Haleon said:
This whole PCI Express thing is retarded. AGP 8x isn't even maxed out yet and they're moving on to a new format. Add on top of the fact that a ton of people don't have PCI express slots and they're only costing themselves sales.

I just bought a new computer in February. It doesn't have PCI Express. Should I seriously order a new motherboard just so I can spend more money on a new video card?

Welcome to the world of cutting edge graphics technology!

I don't particular like it either. But you don't have to upgrade and you can still get very nice AGP cards. If anything forcing PCI express onto consumers will lower prices of AGP cards as the technology is slowly (and I mean slowly, look how long it took for PCI to disappear) phased out.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Mashing said:
Welcome to the world of cutting edge graphics technology!

I don't particular like it either. But you don't have to upgrade and you can still get very nice AGP cards. If anything forcing PCI express onto consumers will lower prices of AGP cards as the technology is slowly (and I mean slowly, look how long it took for PCI to disappear) phased out.
Oh, I'm not upgrading. I won't get PCI Express until the next time I completely redo my computer. Probably in another 3 years.

It kind of works out this way. Sure, I can't play the new PC games, but then 3 years later I finally upgrade and I can play all of the old games at ultra settings, and I can buy them for like ten dollars a piece. I play the PC market a generation behind.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm pissed off about the PCI-E thing myself. I like it as an option, but I have no idea it would strong arm AGP out of the market. Forces me to buy things I don't necessarily need, just to upgrade my graphics card. Even worst, we never even touched the peak bandwidth of AGP 8x, and we've already moved away from it.

The End said:
PCI-E is why you can get a full 6800 AGP card for $150 now.

Link sil vous plait!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Tell me about it. Have a P4 3.0ghz and a gig of ram. That isn't really stuff you'd just throw out but only have agp.

Pimpbaa

Haleon said:

It gets maxed out when textures in video ram need to be swapped in and out. There is only 128 megs of ram on my pci-e 6600GT, but texture heavy games run mostly without a hitch on my computer. Anyway, top of the line video cards require top of the line computers. If you have AGP, the X1800 is probably overkill for you anyway.

Limedust

Considering that there are several viable PCI-E to AGP bridge chips available, I'm suprised at the lack of AGP support myself. It shouldn't be anything more than a minor layout change to implement the bridge chip, which should then be invisible to the rest of the board anyways.

--shrug--

Still content with my XFX 6600GT (AGP).

DSN2K

my 6800nu still plays the likes of Fear, Battlefield 2 perfectly to my standards so I see no reason to upgrade until at least Unreal Tournament 2007 :)

Pimpbaa said:
It gets maxed out when textures in video ram need to be swapped in and out. There is only 128 megs of ram on my pci-e 6600GT, but texture heavy games run mostly without a hitch on my computer. Anyway, top of the line video cards require top of the line computers. If you have AGP, the X1800 is probably overkill for you anyway.

A64 939 pin has a lot of AGP supported mobos out there, so it'd hardly be overkill. Its crazy to think you could theoretically be running a motherboard with a 4800+ X2 or FX57 with 2 gigs of low latency ram and unable to find a comparable AGP solution. From the benchmarks Ive seen between the PCIe 256mb 6800U and X850 and their AGP counterparts there's hardly any difference. I doubt 8x is really all that tapped out yet.

The End

DaCocoBrova said:
I'm pissed off about the PCI-E thing myself. I like it as an option, but I have no idea it would strong arm AGP out of the market. Forces me to buy things I don't necessarily need, just to upgrade my graphics card. Even worst, we never even touched the peak bandwidth of AGP 8x, and we've already moved away from it.

Link sil vous plait!

Try tigerdirect or newegg. I got a eVGA for $169 with a $20 rebate a couple weeks ago.

Pimpbaa

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
A64 939 pin has a lot of AGP supported mobos out there, so it'd hardly be overkill. Its crazy to think you could theoretically be running a motherboard with a 4800+ X2 or FX57 with 2 gigs of low latency ram and unable to find a comparable AGP solution. From the benchmarks Ive seen between the PCIe 256mb 6800U and X850 and their AGP counterparts there's hardly any difference. I doubt 8x is really all that tapped out yet.

Was PCI-E out when 939 MBs came out? Cause I don't know why anyone would buy a 939 board with AGP. It doesn't really matter if 8x AGP is tapped out (I think it is when it comes to transfering textures to the video card), AGP is dead. It'd be stupid to invest any more money towards an AGP motherboard.

Pimpbaa said:
Was PCI-E out when 939 MBs came out? Cause I don't know why anyone would buy a 939 board with AGP. It doesn't really matter if 8x AGP is tapped out (I think it is when it comes to transfering textures to the video card), AGP is dead. It'd be stupid to invest any more money towards an AGP motherboard.

I didnt say it wasnt dead. I just think its crazy that it was phased out so quickly when it could obviously still support a top of the line system for quite awhile. Bandwith wasnt anywhere near becoming a bottleneck from what I understand, and the benchmarks seem to concur.

DSN, those hybrid mobos didnt turn out very well. Stay far far away.

vas

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
I didnt say it wasnt dead. I just think its crazy that it was phased out so quickly when it could obviously still support a top of the line system for quite awhile. Bandwith wasnt anywhere near becoming a bottleneck from what I understand, and the benchmarks seem to concur.

DSN, those hybrid mobos didnt turn out very well. Stay far far away.
I have to disagree, Asrock's ULi chipset mobo is a fine piece of kit for those that want to get a new athlon 64/x2 processor but stay with their current GPU (say an agpver of 6800gt). Afterall its not worth it throwing away your 6800gt/ultra or x800/850, they have yet to be eclipsed.

Top Bottom