• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: FIFA 20 reclaims No.1 from Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Bullet Club

UK Charts: FIFA 20 reclaims No.1 from Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Mario Kart 8: Deluxe speeds back into the top five

FIFA 20 comes out top in its tussle with Animal Crossing: New Horizons this week in terms of UK boxed game sales.

The football game dropped 7% in sales week-on-week, but still manages to rise a space as Animal Crossing suffered a 32% drop and slipped to No.2.

Although the top two games dropped in sales, that's not true of the rest of the chart. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare at No.3 posted a 36% increase in sales, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe raced up three spaces to No.4 with a 98% sales jump, while Grand Theft Auto 5 at No.5 saw a 52% sales improvement.

You have to go all the way down to No.15 to find another game that dropped in sales week-on-week. That game was Nintendo's Ring Fit Adventure, which has fluctuated up and down the charts over the past six weeks as the game goes in and out of stock.

There is just one new release in the charts this week and that was Snowrunner at No.12. The sequel to 2017's Mudrunner, the game is an off-road simulation driving game that has a dedicated following.

Despite the continued lockdown situation keeping High Street stores closed and the absence of any major new release, boxed game sales rose 16% week-on-week with more than 234,000 titles sold. Xbox One sales rose 23% week-on-week, PS4 sales are up 19% while Nintendo Switch game sales increased 9%.

Here is the GfK Top Ten for the week ending May 2nd

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
21FIFA 20
12Animal Crossing: New Horizons
33Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
74Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
55Grand Theft Auto 5
66Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
97Luigi's Mansion 3
8 8Final Fantasy 7: Remake
109Red Dead Redemption 2
1110Forza Horizon 4

Source: Game Industry

cormack12

Gold Member
It's crazy how Fifa sells so consistently well. You'd figure most people would dive in when it's new, not when it's coming to the tail end of its life. Do they still ban people for FUT fraudery?

Kokoloko85

Its cause the UK is filled with idiots that play a barely upgraded game from the previous year.

EA lives from UK money. If people in the UK just kept the same copy as last year for 1 year, EA would change there tune

cormack12

Gold Member
It would be interesting to see that data matched against sales and promotions. Seems like multiplayer driven games would have a shorter tail.

ROMhack

Fifa is 2nd only to COD in worldwide sales every year. it even sells decently in the US, so no need for attacking the UK.

No need for attacking anything really. I don't think people are suddenly going to go out and buy more of another type of game if they're a FIFA/Cod player. That market is entirely exclusive.

Fifa is trash.

I stopped buying 3 years ago when I released the game is marginal upgrades each year with heavy scripted matches, shit tier animations and ball physics and then there us FUT.

Pro Evolution you have to actually work to get goals and win a match and the animation and ball physics is top tier.
Pro Evo is a game that actually focuses effort on playing the game of football.

So yeah I agree most people are idiots that are conned by EA with the flashy licences into buying Fifa each year.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Fifa is 2nd only to COD in worldwide sales every year. it even sells decently in the US, so no need for attacking the UK.

Im from the UK. but whoever buys it year on year can get the same criticism including my friends, there just feeding to one of the worst industry traits that EA does. Plus there loot boxes are also another awful thing they do.

Not saying Cod is far off but Cod actually has seperate teams working on it with mostly a good campaign, accept black ops 3 and couple other online only cods. The gameplay tweaks Fifa does in on year is not worthy of a new game and price

jts

...hate me...
It's crazy how Fifa sells so consistently well. You'd figure most people would dive in when it's new, not when it's coming to the tail end of its life. Do they still ban people for FUT fraudery?
FIFA is pretty much widely discounted past release window, which makes sense. It's very easy to not pay full price for it on the second half of the season, more like half price at this point.

Alx

I suppose it's the only way to watch a football match on your TV at the moment. :p

Last edited:

ROMhack

Fifa is trash.

I stopped buying 3 years ago when I released the game is marginal upgrades each year with heavy scripted matches, shit tier animations and ball physics and then there us FUT.

Pro Evolution you have to actually work to get goals and win a match and the animation and ball physics is top tier.

So yeah I agree most people are idiots that are conned by EA with the flashy licences into buying Fifa each year.

Dunno about that. I have the Lite version and there's way too much emphasis on passing. Passes are always perfectly accurate, meaning pinging them about will lead to goals most of the time.

The most fun I had with a football game was in 2018 with FIFA where I set up sliders to make the game really hard and slow. Forced errors and lower shot/pass accuracy meant a lot more thinking and not just going gun-ho for the whole match. 20 minute halves could be really tight affairs. I still remember cracking in a 30 yarder in the 89th minute of a league match to win a game with Villarreal. It was pure bliss.

Out of the box, PES is better sure but I think FIFA has a little more to it if you're willing to put the effort in (and why wouldn't we, as giant fucking nerds).

Last edited:

ROMhack

FIFA is pretty much widely discounted past release window, which makes sense. It's very easy to not pay full price for it on the second half of the season, more like half price at this point.

I make this point a lot but it's supermarkets and discounts. Supermarkets are where 90% of people buy games like FIFA/Cod and having them discounted works well to keep demand consistent.

Shit I just popped in here to buy cheese and FIFA is £25?! Fuck I'm a buying that.

Etc.

Last edited:
I wanted to say how I’m glad my boy Modern Warfare is half a year later still selling this good since it’s the best CoD in the last 10 years (or maybe ever?). But then I remembered CoD sells great every year regardless if it’s good or not. They really shat the bed with the latest update though, game is barely playable.

JLB

Banned
Fifa is trash.

Every single critique to Fifa is valid.
Now, PES is terrible. I mean terribly terrible. For gameplay, content, user experience, online mode. Every single aspect lags behind fifa and by a laege margin. Recently tried last pes version(was included in gamepass) and yeah, things are not good at all on the other side.

This comes to nobody's surprise.

Everyone in the UK is football mad. FIFA is basically their chance to step into the shoes of the players they adulate.
Its kinda dumb that people still buy every fucking yearly release of this game, when hardly anything changes between iterations, besides the squads/lineups.

Surprised EA haven't turned FIFA into GaaS. Be done with these $60 annual releases.

Then again, perhaps we shouldn't give them the idea.

tryDEATH

FIFA gamers account for like 50%+ of all European PS4 gamers it is basically only a FIFA machine there. Its one reason why I dismiss the notion that PS4 is popular due to games. FIFA and COD account for probably 75% of the user base's of both systems and they almost exclusively only play those two games.

Funny thing is FIFA has a game mode that has a perfectly made premise for eSports and would conquer the world with in a year or two and that is Pro Clubs which is a 11v11 game mode just like real football only is littered with bugs and severely underdeveloped.

Top Bottom