• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK charts: Team Sonic Racing laps the competition

Bullet Club

UK charts: Team Sonic Racing laps the competition

Sega's kart racer is first Sonic game to top charts in 11 years as Rage 2 slides a few spots in its second week

Sumo Digital's Sonic the Hedgehog kart racing series had been in the garage for seven years before last week's launch of Team Sonic Racing, but the time off seems to have served the franchise well.

According to the UK Boxed Charts report for the week ending May 25th, Team Sonic Racing toped the All Formats Chart, more than doubling the launch week sales of its predecessor, 2012's Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. In fact, this is the first time a Sonic the Hedgehog game has topped the charts since Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games managed that feat in 2008. As for where the game did best, the PlayStation 4 version narrowly outsold the Switch version.

The only other new release in the top 40 was Everybody's Golf VR for PS4, which ranked 22 on the charts. However, Assassin's Creed III Remastered (already out on Xbox One and PS4) did see the debut of a Nintendo Switch version, which helped propel the game to the 15th spot on the charts.

Last week's chart-topper, Rage 2, slid to fourth place with a 73% week-over-week decline in units sold. The previous week's second and third place sellers -- Days Gone and FIFA 19, respectively -- saw smaller declines and maintained their chart positions.

There were some interesting climbers in the chart as well. After finishing outside the top 40 two weeks previous, Metro Exodus posted its second straight week of gains for both chart position and unit sales. Sales were up 159% in the previous week's chart and 49% in the latest chart, pushing the game to 16th overall. Just Cause 4 has also increased its weekly sales for three weeks running, finishing in 21st overall.

Here is the UKIE/GfK Top Ten for the week ending May 25th.

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New1Team Sonic Racing
22Days Gone
33FIFA 19
14Rage 2
55Red Dead Redemption II
86Tom Clancy's The Division 2
47Mortal Kombat 11
68Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
79Grand Theft Auto V
1110Forza Horizon 4

Source: GI.biz

angelic

Banned
That chart is damning on the intelligence of the British public. Who the fuck is buying Forza 4, or Fifa, or Red Dead new (it's half price 2nd hand), Who the tits hasnt got or played MK8 to death, my Wii U bundle of it is about 6 years old now. And GTA V must be some sort of money laundering scheme.

Kazza

Sega finally discovers that it might be best to release your games during quiet periods and not on the same day as other big releases. With Total War topping the steam charts too, it's been a good week for them. Judgment seems to be releasing in a quiet period too, so I hope it will experience similar success.

Saber

Gold Member
Im impressed this game could come this far. I think its all thanks to Sumo again.

And its not like I have any interest in buying this game. But I gotta tell you, this one surprised me. Its not as bad as I though it would be. Nice work.

Last edited:
Surprising given how quiet the online is.

I bought it, played it for two days, beat it, had my fill and then returned it. It's pretty good but not up to par with the previous 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom