• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK game retailers discuss phenomenal Wii U preorders

pramath

Banned
Btw, every game you used as an example were 360/PS3 games with extreme bloated budgets. So what you are suggesting is that third parties *not* make new engines and we keep getting games from engines created 7 years ago? The Wii had a huge market share over both 360 and PS3 yet game engines were still based on them.

How do you think companies are changing? Let's use Epic and the next Unreal engine as an example. How is Epic changing to stay relevant with the WiiU in your dream scenario?

You stealth edited your post to a great extent, so I'll reply to the rest here.

I've already addressed your comments on the engine, so on to Epic...

they are more of an engine developer than they are a game publisher, so it was a poor example for you to choose, but from what I have seen of UE4, Epic will have their work cut out for them having nearly the same stranglehold on next gen engines than they did this time out. There will probably be a lot of big engines next gen competing to do it better and cheaper.

No I'm suggesting the Wii U will be capable of running these engines in a lesser form and likely will.

I expect it to be the PS2 of this generation... and truthfully, due to diminishing returns I don't even expect the visual gap to be as big as the Xbox/PS2 gap was despite the fact that there may be even a larger gap on paper.

If you feel there's going to be no appreciable difference between the Wii U and Sony and Microsoft's next consoles, how come the latter two are on the road to ruin, while third parties loyal to Nintendo will be sustainable and make healthy profits (in spite of "struggling and dying" on the PS3/360)?

Terrell

I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with people to preorder 5 year old tech. If that's what they want then why not buy a PS3 or 360. And if that's not what they want then what the hell is it that they do?
You're gonna run out of Wii cliches soon, folks. WHAT THEN?!

pramath

Banned
All third party game engines were based on the PS2 so that is a bad example so in that scenario the WiiU would be like the Dreamcast. The in between system. You really think Nintendo will win full third party support again? Something they haven't had since SNES?

I think there will be fairly even third party support across platforms all generation long in the upcoming console generation. Development costs are simply too bloated for 2 consoles to bare the brunt. The industry is becoming more dependent on the multiplat all the time and I believe this will go beyond Wii U and we will even see this on the new phones and tablets as they become more advanced.

Cipherr

I'm personally still skeptical. I don't see it. For the Wii, I could imagine it happening even if I wasn't sure that it would. But for the WiiU. I cannot imagine this thing maintaining steam for anything outside its launch month in any territory. But we shall see. I'm not above eating crow, but if I'm right, It's very unlikely that I will be gracious about it at all. Its gonna be open season.

Most people - you included - buy things based on what they value, not based on what they don't. People, by and large, couldn't give a rat's left testicle about technology on its own. And yes, that includes you as well.

Do me a favor: If you don't understand how people make decisions, don't second-guess them when they do.

ou8Z0.gif

pramath

Banned
If you feel there's going to be no appreciable difference between the Wii U and Sony and Microsoft's next consoles, how come the latter two are on the road to ruin, while third parties loyal to Nintendo will be sustainable and make healthy profits (in spite of "struggling and dying" on the PS3/360)?

That's not what I was implying.

I think my last post covers it.

I think there will be fairly even third party support across platforms all generation long in the upcoming console generation. Development costs are simply too bloated for 2 consoles to bare the brunt. The industry is becoming more dependent on the multiplat all the time and I believe this will go beyond Wii U and we will even see this on the new phones and tablets as they become more advanced.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with people to preorder 5 year old tech. If that's what they want then why not buy a PS3 or 360. And if that's not what they want then what the hell is it that they do?

Well seeing as you say it's 5 year old tech and I tend to disagree since we dindt even have an iPad 5 years ago but ok it's 5 year old tech and the reason they want that instead of the Seven -8 year old tech in the 360 and PS3 is because the Wii-U is more capable than either of those systems...

Enjoy waiting till 2014 so you can bitch and moan that all the games are ports from Wii-U and not using every ounch of power that 600.00 console cost you..

I'm surprised honestly. I was excited, then not, then again, now I'm watching skeptically. The possibilities of finally seeing Mario, Zelda, and all the Nintendo franchises in an HD resolution is a great thing. But when I'll see a 3D Mario and Zelda is another story.

The price is just enough to where I won't buy it at launch, but not enough to make it out of reach with an impulse buy ...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I personally would bet more than 50% of the current preorders are people intending to flip the systems for double retail or more based on the shortages of the Wii in 2006. There's no way the mainstream Wii audience has caught on to this so quickly.

Hopefully Nintendo kicks production into high gear so they are easy to find on shelves and the scalpers get screwed.

I personally would bet more than 50% of the current preorders are people intending to flip the systems for double retail or more based on the shortages of the Wii in 2006. There's no way the mainstream Wii audience has caught on to this so quickly.

Hopefully Nintendo kicks production into high gear so they are easy to find on shelves and the scalpers get screwed.

Ok no. There are definitely a lot of people buying it simply to resell it on ebay later, but there's no way in hell over half of all preorders are from people planning on selling it.

You massively, massively overestimate how big this problem is. No way are thousands of Wii Us being snapped up for scalping.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
let's hope all this fake demand will generate real demand! :O

/sarcasm

EloquentM

aka Mannny

lmao did you really just say more than half? :lol

That doesn't really answer my question. You seem pretty confident that there's going to be no discernible difference between the different versions of these multi-platform titles, yet you're also expecting Sony and Microsoft to destroy the industry with their unsustainable business models. I don't understand what all this money is going to be pissed away on if the hardware isn't doing anything the Wii U can't.

pramath

Banned
That doesn't really answer my question. You seem pretty confident that there's going to be no discernible difference between the different versions of these multi-platform titles, yet you're also expecting Sony and Microsoft to destroy the industry with their unsustainable business models. I don't understand what all this money is going to be pissed away on if the hardware isn't doing anything the Wii U can't.

Looking at the current state of hardware, it seems to me as though IT IS going to require a lot more money and hardware power for a rather small visual leap. This is the principal of diminishing returns.

d[-_-]b;42237405 said:
probably primarily scalpers, as shown on gaf, a good amount of people just pre-ordering consoles to resell them...

The market is dying for anything new...even if it's 8 year old hardware!

ib1usuY48ryOeN.gif

orioto

Good Art™
Just a question here. Did the marketing for the console began in USA or Europe yet ?

I find it pretty crazy people are commenting on the eventual wii success renewal when those preorders, legit or not, say nothing about how the mainstreams will react...

Wii, in december 2006, was basically on every tv show existing at some point.. WiiU mainstream knowledge is not even existing yet. We're talking some thousand of early adopters...

Looking at the current state of hardware, it seems to me as though IT IS going to require a lot more money and hardware power for a rather small visual leap. This is the principal of diminishing returns.

I agree that the returns will be diminished, but I don't think they're going to be reduced to practically nothing! You said that the gap between the Wii U and them will, relatively speaking, be smaller than the gap between the PS2 and Xbox, and I think that's just absurdly optimistic.

Just a question here. Did the marketing for the console began in USA or Europe yet ?

Nope. This is all the same as the meandering comments we've had for a year now 'I've not heard anyone talking about /whinge', it all doesn't mean much.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however - if were talking about Nintendo having the attention of gamers, its clear that they haven't lost people as some claim, and certainly the WiiU is not a dreamcast at least.

Is it a Gamecube? Meh, its possible - in Japan its going to be huge (if PS4 is not out in 2013 its going to be bigger than Wii imo; Nintendo franchises stop any new console 'killing' the WiiU meanwhile) - outside, not so certain.

In that sense it is worth commenting on, the WiiU is selling - compared to what some were claiming, Nintendo is not delivering a 'no market' console. Meanwhile, we know Nintendo software will help in the long run. Things look positive at least.

pramath

Banned

I find it pretty crazy people are commenting on the eventual wii success renewal when those preorders, legit or not, say nothing about how the mainstreams will react...

Wii, in december 2006, was basically on every tv show existing at some point.. WiiU mainstream knowledge is not even existing yet. We're talking some thousand of early adopters...

Television advertising has not, but looking at that alone in the age of the internet is a little short sighted considering there are hundreds of millions of Wii U related clicks and video views.

When a product successor to something as huge as Wii is coming, it's bound to spill out into the mainstream enough to fill out some early preorders.

pramath

Banned
I agree that the returns will be diminished, but I don't think they're going to be reduced to practically nothing! You said that the gap between the Wii U and them will, relatively speaking, be smaller than the gap between the PS2 and Xbox, and I think that's just absurdly optimistic.

I think it's absurdly optimistic to have a different view. The gap between the Xbox and PS2 is a lot larger than anything we'll be seeing on modern hardware.

I think it's absurdly optimistic to have a different view. The gap between the Xbox and PS2 is a lot larger than anything we'll be seeing on modern hardware.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree and see how it all turns out then. :)

One more thing though: how big, relatively speaking, would you say the gap between the 360 and the Wii U is?

pramath

Banned
We're just going to have to agree to disagree and see how it all turns out then. :)

One more thing though: how big, relatively speaking, would you say the gap between the 360 and the Wii U is?

Fairly miniscule.

I already think we've reached the point where the average consumer will no longer notice.

What they will notice, however, is Nintendo franchises and a tablet controller.

Medalion

Banned
Nintendo, that's all you need to know.

Quality, and tradition... for better or for worse, you always know what to get from them.

Kacho

Are there any numbers on how many people were watching the Nintendo conference stream last Thursday?

apana

You guys need to consider the fact that Nintendo may be buying these themselves and selling it on ebay. They get it to count as a sale and then sell the same console right back to unsuspecting customers who like mindless drones were excited by sold out signs and news reports.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Well, there's been "Pre-order the Wii U" signs in certain shops here in the UK, long before the Wii U price was announced.

img20120805143945.jpg

jman2050

I imagine stuff like Facebook and Youtube would lead to more proliferation of the information regarding WiiU more quickly. It's a different environment than 6 years ago.

Kacho

You guys need to consider the fact that Nintendo may be buying these themselves and selling it on ebay. They get it to count as a sale and then sell the same console right back to unsuspecting customers who like mindless drones were excited by sold out signs and news reports.

Now this is a conspiracy that has some weight behind it. I'm onboard.

pramath

Banned

lol that sounds pretty far fetched.

You make Nintendo sound like some two bit organized crime ring that operate out of basements and garages.

Top Bottom