• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the blame for the slogans and stuff on Lynton Crosby, that is how he always runs election campaigns. He was always incredibly overrated but his approach now looks especially out of date. I did quite enjoy the leaks about how he wasn't really in control of the campaign and so on that started appearing when the Tory's lead began collapsing though.

Slogans and sound-bites only work for so long before people get tired of hearing/seeing them.

Factor in how much of a charisma vacuum most of the people who were spouting these slogans/sound-bites were, it's no surprise they fell flat.

Micael

Lol, "Starting Brexit negotiations next week in a strong position" They didn't even had that before the election, they wouldn't even have that if they had won in a landslide, and these people that deny reality are the ones in charge of going through what is likely the most complex set of negotiations the world has ever seen?
That is a bold strategy, lets see how it plays out.

Hazzuh

Interesting Times front page: "Austerity is over"
DCJoVDPVwAAW0H2.jpg

Lol, "Starting Brexit negotiations next week in a strong position" They didn't even had that before the election, they wouldn't even have that if they had won in a landslide, and these people that deny reality are the ones in charge of going through what is likely the most complex set of negotiations the world has ever seen?
That is a bold strategy, lets see how it plays out.

Barnier is going to mop the floor with these muppets.

MICHEL BARNIER, the French diplomat who will lead the European Union’s Brexit negotiations, is keen to project an air of strength and stability. Asked if he is worried that the talks could blow up, he wanders over to his desk and picks up a mug emblazoned with the mantra “Keep Calm and Negotiate”, declaring: “There won’t be any drama from my side.”

Speaking to eight European newspapers, including The Economist, in his first interview since securing the Brexit job last July, Mr Barnier refuses to be drawn out on the chaos unfolding across the English Channel after last week’s general election, in which the ruling Conservative Party failed to win an overall majority. But he expresses his concern that no talks have taken place in the two-and-a-half months since Theresa May, the Prime Minister, triggered the two-year process for Britain’s withdrawal under Article 50 of the EU Treaty. “We haven’t negotiated, we haven’t progressed,” he says. “Time is passing quicker than anyone believes.” On June 12th Mr Barnier met British officials in Brussels for talks about talks, but because of the political uncertainty in Britain, there is still no firm date for the negotiations proper to begin. “I need on the other side of the table a British delegation… that is stable, accountable and that has a mandate. That’s my preoccupation.”

If Mr Barnier hints at any frustration, it is over the failure of Britain’s politicians to confront the reality of the choice they put to British voters a year ago. “Very few people in charge explained what Brexit meant,” he says. “Lots of people underestimated [the] consequences.” As the aftershocks of the Brexit vote have worked their way through Britain, Mr Barnier has spent the past year travelling across Europe meeting ministers, parliamentarians and businesspeople, listening to concerns and seeking to ensure that the rest of the EU hews to a common line before the talks begin. “We’ve built [EU unity] together for six months, it wasn’t easy,” he says. “I know it’ll be challenged.” When Mr Barnier was appointed, some European officials doubted whether he possessed the attention to detail which the job requires. But there are few complaints so far. “Barnier has been very sure-footed,” says one Brussels-based diplomat.

More here: http://www.economist.com/news/europ...-talks-running-short-michel-barnier-impatient

Probably way late to the party with this but I saw this gem and had to share anyway, MP Robert Syms for Dorset and Poole.

robert-syms.jpg

Technically, he's not wrong. It's not a coalition from the sounds of things.

It still raises very serious questions about Westminster's neutrality however, and that's a bit a harsh response.

... So actually, that's pretty bad.

Edit: Regardless, of seeing through it - if this election shock does actually result in a Conservative rebrand and a softening on funding issues then that's fantastic.

It means the tide is shifting and austerity politics has been exposed as the sham it is.

Empty

this is a prime minister who launched a manifesto (the most disastrous in history) that on release was trumpeted by the front pages of the sun, mail and the times as 'putting struggling families first' and 'a revolution in the workplace' and 'reaching out to the labour heartlands'

the only policy in that manifesto to back that rhetoric up was allowing people to take a year off work unpaid to look after a family member...

That's how FPTP works, the boundary changes would shift constituencies so that Labour support is more diluted and they are then less likely to outright win seats.
What? The Labour vote is actually very concentrated in some areas at the moment. If it gets more evenly distributed they should win more seats. It was the Conservatives this time who won a disproportionately high numbers of seats for their share of the vote.

Jackpot

Banned
Considering confidence & supply is still reliant on being on the DUP's good side so they grant you votes when needed I don't see how the government can pretend to be neutral.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/12/there...up-views-on-lgb-whats-the-rest-of-it-6704187/

Theresa May reportedly told backbenchers that government policy wouldn’t be affected by the DUP’s views on ‘LGB… what’s the rest of it?’.

The Prime Minister was meeting the 1922 Committee of backbenchers today amid controversy over the government’s discussions with the Democratic Unionist Party of Ulster.

A Tory MP is said to have told HuffPo editor Paul Waugh that the PM had made the apparently flippant comment about LGBT concerns in the meeting today.

Goddamn can May do anything right this week?

excowboy

Maybe I'll try and find the link later but I was laughing my tits off on Friday morning when I heard Ed Vaizey on 5Live, completely deadpan, say 'obviously, Theresa May now has the opportunity to form a minority government' like she'd delivered a great result for the Tories that would now see them in power. All this tells us that they will be clinging on until the very death. I'm hopeful events will get the better of them.

pigeon

Banned
Really? It's not like someone asked for the full list, and if you're trying to reassure that you give half a shit about LGBT+ rights, it's a disastrous look.

Aside from the Tories having a regressive agenda, it's also just bad politicking to start spelling an acronym if you can't remember the whole thing, cmon. Just say "social justice."

How hot is Farrons phone?

The DUP deal is going to work out, it's more of a question of "for how long". The likelihood of her being able to hold together any sort of discipline over the summer is slim - whoever wants to have a go replacing her once hard Brexit is ditched will be able to do so.

Farron ruled out going into coalition w/ May and by doing so he's left May humiliated and badly weakened by an awful confidence deal.

BBC finally found some backbone huh?

Wonder what brought this sudden change of heart on...
It's about time. Time for the media to truly prove their worth and properly hold our politicians to account and not just accepting their usual soundbites as answers. Why weren't the BBC being that bullish in their interviews during the run up to the election? They should have been.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting Times front page: "Austerity is over"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCJoVDPVwAAW0H2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

as transparent as when May got the job and rambled on about the 'just about managing'

nobody is going to buy it without significant visible public investment which isn't going to happen. We'll still have crap trains, no houses and a run down NHS.

tbf dropping the austerity shite is one of the few moves they have left, wot with the DUP apparently not having a raging hard-on for fucking the poor (provided they're white, christian and straight).

She could at least have made it to T. And anyone would forgive her for not knowing the rest after that but actually saying "what's the rest" like that is clearly derogatory and disrespectful, like she's mocking it.

more like she couldn't give less of a fuck about them, but yes.

PowerTaxi

Banned
tbf dropping the austerity shite is one of the few moves they have left, wot with the DUP apparently not having a raging hard-on for fucking the poor (provided they're white, christian and straight).

more like she couldn't give less of a fuck about them, but yes.

Eh, half right.

The DUP deal is going to work out, it's more of a question of "for how long". The likelihood of her being able to hold together any sort of discipline over the summer is slim - whoever wants to have a go replacing her once hard Brexit is ditched will be able to do so.

Farron ruled out going into coalition w/ May and by doing so he's left May humiliated and badly weakened by an awful confidence deal.

My dream (very very unlikely) scenario is them just about getting their deal through... Then a handful of Tories who are sick of the party's shit flip to Lib Dem. Bring the chaos.

kinda curious about wtf slavoj is going on about

ah thar we go

It is against this background that one should compare the Conservative and the Labour electoral campaigns. The Conservative campaign has reached a new low for the political battled in the UK: scaremongering attacks about Corbyn as a terrorist sympathiser, of the Labour party as a hive of anti-Semitism, and all of this culminating in Theresa May joyously promising to rip off human rights – a politics of fear if there ever was one. No wonder Ukip disappeared from the scene: there is no need for it, since May and Johnson have taken over its job.

Corbyn refused to get caught in these dirty games: with an outspoken naivety, he simply addressed the main issues and concerns of ordinary people, from economic woes to terrorist threat, proposing clear countermeasures. There was no rage and resentment in his statements, no cheap populist rabble-rousing, but also no politically correct self-righteousness. Just addressing ordinary people's actual concerns with a common decency.

The fact that such an approach amounts to no less than a major shift in our political space is a sad sign of the times we live in. But it is also a new confirmation of old Hegel's claim that, sometimes, naïve outspokenness is the most devastating and cunning of all strategies.

i mean... the point about how conservatives were running fully outta fucks to give is true (and obvious) enough, but to say that corbyn just happens to be a nice bloke who wasnt trying to be PC is.... uhm... what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom