• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

But the individual country decides when they have met the criteria for the Euro. So it is a pretty empty pledge.

Also why would we want/need waivers? The govt has opted Britain out of many key and good aspects of EU laws for no good reason. Schengen might be the only thing Scotland wouldn't want, preferring to have whatever common travel area emerges between Britain and Ireland.
The criteria for entering the Euro are pretty well defined and verified by statistics. While it is true you don't automatically enter the Euro, you are obligated to eventually adopt the Euro as your currency and are also meant to provide a timetable by which time you intend to do which to my knowledge doesn't have a sanction mechanism but you would be ill advised entering the EU without wishing to fulfil your commitments.

Uzzy

In today's Times.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F54300d48-5b6e-11e7-8b02-b735a4dd8be3.jpg

SteveWD40

Curious to see if Corbyn has what it takes to go in on May after the election shit show. They can't just laugh and jeer away the latest polling and the election, it will only play worse for them if they attempt to.

You're a horrible human being. That's totally uncalled for considering your support of the DUP - an actual corrupt, homophobic and terror sympathetic org.
Hey now, lets not bring facts and clear examples of hypocrisy into this.

You must be one of those Corbynistas, wanting everything for free like equality and fairness. Scumbag!

TimmmV

Interface was one of the more vocal Leave supporters in the Brexit thread iirc

Obviously thats the good kind of divisive and SNP the bad kind

I go away for a long weekend and what happens to this thread? You start talking about getting rid of the Royal family and calling each other cunts?? As the great Ed Milliband once said: "We're [UK poligaf], we're better than this!"

Anyway, this proposed Labour amendment is pure political football. No way it passes but I don't blame them for trying.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, this proposed Labour amendment is pure political football. No way it passes but I don't blame them for trying.

The great thing about the Queen's Speech is that it has to pass unamended, so Labour can force the Conservatives to vote down all manner of popular things and take the public flack for it. Great fun.

No, what's rich is seeing the millennial meat-heads cry about a Conservative - DUP deal when they wanted an IRA lackey to be the PM.

I guess only one side of Northern Irish politics is unacceptable to the left.

Hello, Unionist from Northern Ireland here.

I'm more than happy with Corbyn as PM because fuck the Tories and fuck the DUP. :)

The great thing about the Queen's Speech is that it has to pass unamended, so Labour can force the Conservatives to vote down all manner of popular things and take the public flack for it. Great fun.

Should force them to vote down extending this series of Love Island. The next GE would be a Labour landslide!

Spuck-uk

Banned
I go away for a long weekend and what happens to this thread? You start talking about getting rid of the Royal family and calling each other cunts?? As the great Ed Milliband once said: "We're [UK poligaf], we're better than this!"

Don't be a cunt mate
just kidding

Although I'm all for demoting the Royals to a tourist attraction like any sensible 21st century country.

Spuck-uk

Banned
“The Tories blocked a plan for a $200m Dedd 2 to be made, including Judge Death”
Does their villainy know no bounds?!

The Tory DUP bribe could have funded Dredd 2, three new series of Firefly, a new series of Sense8, and still had enough change to buy everyone in the UK a few pints and a box of caramel freddos.

The Tory DUP bribe could have funded Dredd 2, three new series of Firefly, a new series of Sense8, and still had enough change to buy everyone in the UK a few pints and a box of caramel freddos.

Maybe our economic plan should be based on funding niche media projects. Can't be worse than whatever we're doing now.

Thank god my Labour membership card came in yesterday, im gonna need it to take these heinous criminals down before they ruin everything.

Khoryos

Let's not exaggerate here - given the price increase, the entire deal would only buy 51 Freddos for each member of the populace.

This genuinely made me angry for a second. What is wrong with me?
It's a real, deep pain that all us fans would suffer before remembering that we wouldn't be lucky enough to get it anyway :(

Better keep that in your wallet for when the revolution comes and they catch you coming out of Waitrose, comrade
Im a Lidl/Iceland man myself so hopefully I should be ok when we rise up and seize the means of production.

I've never been inside an Iceland before, but they've apparently upped their game in recent years and have some decent stuff.

Do they do neapolitan ice cream sandwiches?

Weirdly Lidl round here has become a hub of middle-aged Tory voters obsessed with getting the "best deal".

And me because I'm cheap
My local Lidl is quite diverse really, I suppose Croydon is a very mixed place with a lot of migrants and different people so it makes sense.

Im just cheap too so being able to go somewhere within a 5 minute walk is very helpful.

Lidl is great though, wide selection of food items. Iceland isnt as great but what they do have is good value.

Dougald

My local Lidl is quite diverse really, I suppose Croydon is a very mixed place with a lot of migrants and different people so it makes sense.

Im just cheap too so being able to go somewhere within a 5 minute walk is very helpful.

Lidl is great though, wide selection of food items. Iceland isnt as great but what they do have is good value.

When I squeak in shopping for two people at 55 quid a week that would have been > £100 elsewhere (used to be £45 before the pound tumbled), it's a no-brainer

Forgot to mention my Labour membership card came through a couple weeks ago. Looks like our local group played a big part in getting Reading East to switch from the Conservatives, so I'll be doing my bit to maintain that in the inevitable GE2...

TimmmV

When I squeak in shopping for two people at 55 quid a week that would have been > £100 elsewhere (used to be £45 before the pound tumbled), it's a no-brainer

Forgot to mention my Labour membership card came through a couple weeks ago. Looks like our local group played a big part in getting Reading East to switch from the Conservatives, so I'll be doing my bit to maintain that in the inevitable GE2...

Our Sainsbury's shop has crept up from about £65/70 for 2 people to about £80-90 in the last year or so, Brexit really is the gift that keeps on giving

I got my Labour email but no card yet, been invited to my local ward meeting, but given my local mp is one of the hard Labour leavers I don't know if I want to go, would prob just end up arguing with him lol

Uzzy

There better be an amendment to make anime real. Or at least give the nation an official waifu.

On a more serious note, I spotted an interesting article over on the Spectator titled 'If you can't afford a home, why vote Tory?'

For years, a handful of miserablists, such as our own Nick Cohen, have been warning that housing inflation is not the great boom it was once believed to be, but is in fact an unmitigated social disaster. For years we’ve done nothing about it. And finally, in 2017, rising house prices have proven to be the crack in the dam for the right. It has lead to a flood of devastating support from the under-45s for a left-wing Labour leader. So when Owen Jones gloats or Alex Massie laments that the Tories have lost the next generation of voters it’s hard to disagree with them, and although there are cultural factors involved, a huge, huge problem is the cost of homes.

So you can see how difficult things are for Conservatives here, and they will only get worse; soon even the Home Counties will begin to fill with increasing numbers of people unable to afford homes, turning blue voters to red.

The article suggests some solutions, the usual stuff about devolving planning laws and building on the green belt. But it's interesting to see conservative writers acknowledge that they can't build a property owning democracy and get a mass of loyal Tory voters if no one can buy a home.

Im a Lidl/Iceland man myself so hopefully I should be ok when we rise up and seize the means of production.

Yup, my shop wander involves Iceland, Wilkos, Lidl, 99p Store, greengrocers then Waitrose for the last few bits and pieces, a cake and a free coffee :)

It's the only way to keep the costs down.

If me and the wife are being healthy which usually also means cheaply we can spend hardly anything for the both of us. Its when we want something quick or naughty we spend more. Even our expensive shops at Lidl are cheaper than a quick visit to Sainsbury's or other places.

Looking forward to attending meetings and helping out now that im a member, anyone here already do this stuff and can give me some insight? Especially with regards to the yearly conference as im quite interested in that.

Goodlife

I just don't find Lidl's that cheap.

We usually do Asda for jars / pasta / squash / snacks etc

Local market for veg

Butchers for meat

Probably spend about £100 / £120 a week for the 5 of us

Oddly, despite the nearest Lidl literally being down the hill from me, my family has long elected to visit Asda or Tesco instead. I think we popped to Sainsbury's before that, but for whatever reason (I imagine distance, being it's the farthest out of the lot) it's slipped from our routine.

PMQs on now. Should be fun...

oti

Banned
Oddly, despite the nearest Lidl literally being down the hill from me, my family has long elected to visit Asda or Tesco instead. I think we popped to Sainsbury's before that, but for whatever reason (I imagine distance, being it's the farthest out of the lot) it's slipped from our routine.

PMQs on now. Should be fun...

Oh it's fun alright.

May: These people died because regulations weren't checked.
Corbyn: These people died because austerity.

I have a question. Why do people stand up to answer a question that is clealry aimed at the Prime Minister? I get it means intention to answer, but why?

Theonik

We should have a new inflation index called the Freddo Price Index. It would be much more representative of real inflation really. Also include that to triple lock pensions and minimum wage/tax free allowance increases.

DBT85

Weirdly Lidl round here has become a hub of middle-aged Tory voters obsessed with getting the "best deal".

And me because I'm cheap

We've been going to Lidl/Aldi for most of our shopping for a few years now.

When we lived in new cross it was full of a wide range of folk, some of the very poor as well as people rocking up in X5s or Mercs.

It's just people who have actually tried it and realised that in most cases there is no difference in the quality of the food, in some cases its better and in others its worse, no different to any other supermarket. Just a lot cheaper.

Sometime we go to the luxury Lidl near us just because there is an actual packing area at the till rather than a small shelf as there is everywhere else. Slightly less feeling that your food is being thrown at you lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom