• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

Why would they fall in line when Corbyn himself has repeatedly refused to support the democratically chosen stance on Trident? It's a two way street. Corbyn spent his whole life throwing shit from the backbenches so he hasn't got a leg to stand on when it comes to the whip. He often pushes his own agenda instead of the party position.

The difference is that Corbyn has accepted the party's stance and made it policy, he hasn't tabled an amendment on his own calling for Trident to be scrapped.

Any hope of a united Labour is looking less and less likely...ffs...

I believe in 20 minutes time.

Have we agreed upon the UKPoliGAF OT3 thread title? Or should I just sling it as "COALITION OF CHAOS"?

A bunch of the favourites I think were:
  • It. Will be. A Shitshow.
  • The Lady's Not for Turning Up
  • Strong and Stable Government? No, Coalition of Chaos!
  • Things are looking pretty good (possibly a bit more suited for a brexit thread)
  • It's not a Coalition you dick
  • Thatcher in the Rye

• Things are looking pretty good (possibly a bit more suited for a brexit thread)
  • Thatcher in the Rye

Still has my vote.

*Splinter

[*]Strong and Stable Government? No, Coalition of Chaos!
    [*]It's not a Coalition you dick
  • Thatcher in the Rye
Either of these

hohoXD123

I believe in 20 minutes time.

Have we agreed upon the UKPoliGAF OT3 thread title? Or should I just sling it as "COALITION OF CHAOS"?

Theresa and the Magic Money Tree

• [*]It. Will be. A Shitshow.
  • Thatcher in the Rye

Or this.
Quote from Lord Buckethead, 2017.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Creasy's not backing down on the amendment, saying she has no confidence (huhuhuhu) in the government to deliver what it says.

Could be fun.

Beefy

Some cunt go arrested for lying about living in the Grenfell tower and losing fam. Dude needs help and then locking up.

Lagamorph

So at least 5 Tory MPs voted against their own party?

And the ability for women from Northern Ireland to have abortions in the UK on the NHS has been withdrawn?
Or just the amendment has been withdrawn because the government have already agreed to do it?

CCS

Banned
Another amazing new FT article :p

British leaders say they are making good progress in their Brexit talks
and that the Conservative party may soon have its own position to take to the EU negotiators.

There remain disagreements within Theresa May’s team but one source said that “with a fair wind” the cabinet could still reach a position before the Article 50 deadline expires.

“Forget about 27 EU states; getting consensus among 23 members of the same cabinet is a two-year job.”

However, the slow progress in Tory negotiations has caused such deep concern among European nations that Michel Barnier, the lead EU negotiator, has abandoned work on his own strategy in order to help broker a deal within the cabinet. EU peacekeepers have been sent to all the UK ministries in an attempt to thrash out a unified British position with which the EU can then argue. “This is a crisis on Europe’s doorstep,” said Mr Barnier. “The EU has no choice but to intervene, if only for humanitarian reasons.” It is understood his decision followed a distress call from Mrs May saying she was no longer able to silence any of her ministers.

Multi-party talks between cabinet members are still stalled over sequencing. Mr Barnier had demanded that the Treasury should speak to the Foreign Office before it bothers with the Department for International Trade. However, Liam Fox, trade secretary, has insisted that no talks could begin unless he was present. “He was prepared to allow the talks to run in parallel, but that would have required the chancellor running between two rooms every five minutes.”

Sherpas from the Treasury say they have had what they call “constructive dialogue” with officials from the Department for Exiting the EU and now see a real prospect of reaching a common position that they can take to the Foreign Office office within the next two or three months.

But some disagreements run extremely deep. Boris Johnson, for instance, is seriously at odds with himself over the broad outlines of a deal. It is understood that senior figures in his own family have been called in to help. Leading members of the Johnson “loya jirga” will gather on Sunday in tents in his garden to try to thrash out a single negotiating position for the foreign secretary. One said: “The tricky part is pinning him down on detail. You think you are hashing out a view on the rights of EU citizens and suddenly you realise he’s rushed off to get some more marinade for the barbecue.”

There have also been clashes over cake. Mr Johnson has repeatedly said he was pro-cake and pro-eating it. However, in a serious split Philip Hammond, the chancellor, publicly rebuked his colleague, saying he was in favour of more cake for everyone. Allies of both sides say it could just be the opening salvos ahead of their full negotiations but as one said: “It is very hard to see a compromise. It’s a black forest at the moment.”

Mr Fox has insisted Britain leave the customs union so that he is free to negotiate trade deals. Mr Hammond is keen to stay in the customs union until the full UK/EU trade terms are agreed and Mr Johnson has asked people to remind him what “the customs union thingy” is.

Related article
Anti-Brexit MPs rally across parties to push for ‘soft’ option
Talks are taking place in parliament’s tea rooms, corridors and bars between Remainers

Another breach is over the transitional arrangements for the leadership of the Conservative party. All accept that Mrs May can be no more than a temporary arrangement, but there is a dispute over how long she remains in place. Supporters of a hard Maxit say she should be gone by October, but others fear the “cliff edge” of a destructive leadership contest and a Corbyn government. Soft Maxiters are looking for long transitional arrangements that would give the Tories time to find a new leader who is popular with voters. Hard Maxiters fear this could take years.

Brussels had hoped Mrs May’s re-election would bring some grip but her poor poll result means she has no control over her ministers. “It’s hopeless,” said one insider. “She has to ring Laura Kuenssberg at the BBC each night just to find out what her government’s done that day.”

Meanwhile Brussels awaits further clarity. One Commission source said: “We do wonder if it is all a cunning plot in which the EU gets so frustrated it agrees to all the British demands just to get rid of you.”

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So at least 5 Tory MPs voted against their own party?

And the ability for women from Northern Ireland to have abortions in the UK on the NHS has been withdrawn?
Or just the amendment has been withdrawn because the government have already agreed to do it?

the government backed it so it didn't need to go to a vote.

DDfXBuyXYAAdPHf.jpg

Chuka Umunna is a dickhead.

guess what the front pages will be tomorrow.
Yep.

All the labour MPs who spent two years trying to remove who their voters democratically elected to lead their party almost from the moment he arrived are dickheads.

Their tribal bullshit has upset and set back the party 1000x more than anything Corbyn has done. I really resent them for it.

jelly

It's for the best. The Tories needs to own Brexit, and be associated with what a shit show it will be.

They won't. It will be the opposition parties for not agreeing with them and causing a mess, voters who didn't give them a majority and if they did have a majority, Brexit would have been a utopia. People will fall for it.

If only Labour backbenchers were as loyal to Corbyn as he was to previous Labour leaders :'(

Agreed.

If only backbenchers could just make their points about things they disagreed with, instead of staging a fucking coup that destroyed public confidence in labour for years.

If only.

Kevin Schofield‏Verified account @PolhomeEditor 37s37 seconds ago
More
Hearing that Labour frontbenchers who voted for the Umunna amendment are being SACKED by Jeremy Corbyn. Andy Slaughter among them.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
More
Hearing that Labour frontbenchers who voted for the Umunna amendment are being SACKED by Jeremy Corbyn. Andy Slaughter among them.

good. They just couldn't let it go could they.

Hazzuh

More

Four Labour frontbenchers sacked/quit for backing @ChukaUmunna Brexit amendment: Zeichner, West, Cadbury, Slaughter.

Agreed.

If only backbenchers could just make their points about things they disagreed with, instead of staging a fucking coup that destroyed public confidence in labour for years.

If only.

Corbyn helped organise a leadership challenge against Kinnock

Jackpot

Banned
It's weird to see Gaffers calling someone a dickhead and wishing he'd fall in line and obey for trying to keep the UK in the single market. Imagine, daring to take a stand.

Going to have to go against the GAF wisdom here. As much as I want Labour to succeed in taking down the Tories, they did have their cake and eat it with regards to Brexit at the recent general election. I'm happy to see all of the MPs have to plant their flags wrt the single market. I believe that being a single market member is the best case for the UK and for the EU, and am happy that the bill was brought forward and that my Labour MP, Daniel Zeichner, voted for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom