• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Parliament Vote to trigger Article 50 (498 - 144)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

Corbyn is a spineless idiot and wasting no time in bending backwards in kissing May's butt, I will never vote for Labour as long he is in charge.

Why is this spineless? He's going with what won, what people chose. The opposition leader can't deny that, the guys useless in general but ANY labour leader would have done this

Dougald

Oh no I feel for you guys.

But your politics for awhile now even within the EU was to undermine it, at least that's how I saw it.

Even with all the privileges the UK had, you still wanted a "better deal" as if that was the point of the EU.

Maybe now if France and Germany managed to elect sane leader we could move forward as a more tight union.

As that rarest of British people, someone who would like to see a federal EU, I kind of agree. While I'd love to see my country a part of it, Britain is far too obstructionist to the European project. Maybe without us you can make some real progress.

Selling the nhs to trump and record breaking piverty, plus another likely recession count as great, right?

Assuming this isn't one of the key points to leading in to another world war. The other ones were called great wars after all.

Don't forget, no pesky EU courts to overturn May's surveillance law fetish!

What a complete farce this was though.

Xando

You are aware that this affect people living within the EU and might be forced to go back home because the UK left the EU?
Yeah and that obviously sucks for them (and remain voters) but the UK is gonna leave and i hope the divorce will be as quick as possible.

ramuh

Side question. Do most European countries have referendums often? Similar to the US ballot measures.

Like when they elect their leaders there is also questions about things like UK breaking away. etc.

It's like people don't look at the fuckers running the place.

It's terrifying. Can't wait for the Tories to start re-writing all of those pesky EU laws as they see fit! We took back control!

Current affairs, here and overseas - Brexit and the Orange Overlord in the States in particular - seem to be rapidly ageing me at the moment.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Welp. I hoped the rise of Trump would make us reconsider. This is the worst time for us to leave.
What made it worse was all the MPs saying "We don't want riots." - You've just confirmed that's a tactic that works
Labour can never accuse the Lib Dems of cosying up to the Tories again.

I actually think this is worse than America. In the age of Trump, it will be over in 8 years max. We'll still be dealing with the fallout from this.

The only bright spot... the Euro MEP trolling Farage made me laugh. http://www.sebdance.co.uk/why_i_held_up_that_sign

StayDead

As that rarest of British people, someone who would like to see a federal EU, I kind of agree. While I'd love to see my country a part of it, Britain is far too obstructionist to the European project. Maybe without us you can make some real progress.

Dougald, I'm with you.

How about we claim an island somewhere and ask for EU membership.

theaface

Democracy is a wonderful thing :)

Cool. You ticked a box and now they're going with it.

Looking forward to hearing how it makes you, or indeed anyone you know, better off. Let me know. 5 years from now, 10 years, I don't mind.

I'm sure our benevolent, democratically elected (whoops) leader Theresa May has your best interests at heart, especially if you live in the north of England and/or outside a major city. Let's see how that one plays out. Yay, democracy.

operon

Side question. Do most European countries have referendums often? Similar to the US ballot measures.

Like when they elect their leaders there is also questions about things like UK breaking away. etc.
Depends on the countries. Ireland has had a lot as it has a written constitution so any new treaties with the EU etc need referenda

Conan-san

yeah, Labour had to vote leave but that's just pathetic

Well they HAD to vote leave because they weren't born with the testicles or ovaries their mothers gave them.

Packed all that all into a neat little envelope and gave it to May to give to Trump.

I hope Labour dies not as a fire but as the smallest ember to be snuffed under Tory boot.

Garjon

Why is this spineless? He's going with what won, what people chose. The opposition leader can't deny that, the guys useless in general but ANY labour leader would have done this

Because he has allowed Theresa May to do whatever the fuck she wants, even though the majority of voters don't want hard Brexit and the overwhelming majority of Labour voters don't want to leave, even though he knows hard Brexit will fuck over the people he claims to care the most about, all because he is too scared to challenge his own ideology. And on an unrelated note, his near-silence on the Trident malfunction fiasco despite being a lifelong anti-nuclear campaigner just adds to his feeble record.

I'm sorry but he absolutely needs to go.

As idiotic as it is, just take a glance at us across the pond and remember, it could be worse.

I mean, marginally, since y'all are stuck in bed with us anyway, but still.

It's not worse for you. Eventually, you'll get rid of trump. It's unlikely the UK will be back in the EU during the first half of this century, if ever.

Seemingly for good reasons. Look at what those morons in Britain did when they got given the power.

They're not 'morons', you just need to open up a dialogue with them! They have their reasons for wanting to watch the world burn!
Shoot me

PJV3

It's terrifying. Can't wait for the Tories to start re-writing all of those pesky EU laws as they see fit! We took back control!

Current affairs, here and overseas - Brexit and the Orange Overlord in the States in particular - seem to be rapidly ageing me at the moment.

They have flogged almost everything off so it will be interesting how they keep the Tory project rolling now the bogeyman of the EU Is lost.

Real Hero

Because he has allowed Theresa May to do whatever the fuck she wants, even though the majority of voters don't want hard Brexit and the overwhelming majority of Labour voters don't want to leave, even though he knows hard Brexit will fuck over the people he claims to care the most about, all because he is too scared to challenge his own ideology. And on an unrelated note, his near-silence on the Trident malfunction fiasco despite being a lifelong anti-nuclear campaigner just adds to his feeble record.

I'm sorry but he absolutely needs to go.

I think he needs to go too, I just think both your examples are bad reasons why.

Xando

If you don't live in the UK... why? What difference will it make to you?
As long as the UK is not out they still have a veto and their politicians get to decide on stuff that will not concern them 1-2 years later.

I'd like the EU to go forward on topics like defence to which the UK is strongly opposed.

tuxfool

Banned
As long as the UK is not out they still have a veto and their politicians get to decide on stuff that will not concern them 1-2 years later.

I'd like the EU to go forward on topics like defence to which the UK is strongly opposed.

AFAIK they have to recuse themselves from these things once Article 50 is triggered.

satriales

Even if they do that, we can vote a different government in and reverse those laws. If we're in the EU we have no say.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
They have flogged almost everything off so it will be interesting how they keep the Tory project rolling now the bogeyman of the EU Is lost.

I can see it now. "Brexit would have been a success. Damn those Remoaners for talking us down."

herod

The majority of his party's voters did NOT choose this. The fact that he is still leader when Cameron stepped down speaks volumes about the guy.

I do not accept your premise that any Labour leader would have done this. Abandoning principles and pandering is precisely what does not impress anyone in the long term. It was certainly not 'the will' of his party base.

Mr Git

Hoofuckingray. Excellent. What a sack of cunts.

Probably go back to blaming Labour for everything and getting away with it.

PJV3

Corbyn really couldn't stop the ball rolling, not in a successful and meaningful way. The only way we stay is the Brexit project coming unstuck. And 50 being reversible if possible.

Good. UK will achieve great things.

No it fucking won't.

Theresa May is begging for scraps from other countries because the dumb fucking idiots decided to vote out of a large trading block. Now we're just one small pitiful country with no leverage, one who has to be a yes man to dickhead dictators.

I'm happy that the worst thing that the Lib Dems did was allow 2 MPs to abstain (both represent Leave constituencies, IIRC).

Otherwise we've been very good on this issue.

Screw Labour. Corbyn is the worst Labour leader in living memory.

Dingens

I'd probably lying if I said that I'm going to miss the UK... or rather UK politics in the EU. I feel sad for Scotland, and still hope you guys can somehow manage to leave the sinking ship in time... Other than that... yeah, it may weaken the EU temporarily, but with those wrench throwers out of the way, there is at least a chance now, that it may grow stronger in the long term than it ever could before.
so long, UK. You had your chance - twice, and you blew it. No sympathies from me.

Dehnus

iP42wHz.gif

For him it does, 2 years of doing nothing while getting paid as an MEP, and he already wasn't very active there. And now he's also off to the USA to be a political commentator at FOX. So yes, for him "things look pretty good." :(.

Real Hero

The majority of his party's voters did NOT choose this. The fact that he is still leader when Cameron stepped down speaks volumes about the guy.

I do not accept your premise that any Labour leader would have done this. Abandoning principles and pandering is precisely what does not impress anyone in the long term. It was certainly not 'the will' of his party base.

We are leaving, it is fantasy to expect anything to stop that. Corbyn has chosen to put the party on the side of a bad democratic decision but the reasoning that is better than openly refusing the will of the people is a fairly sound one. It's the one bit of leadership he has shown but ironically it's one that will piss off many of his supporters. I get it, it's terrible whats happening but I just cannot imagine a scenario like this where we are definitely leaving anyway, that a Labour leader would willing and pointlessly position themselves as against the peoples vote. There was a no good choice for them in this. The referendum has fucked labour totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom