• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare debut down 48.4% from Black Ops 3's launch

xzeldax3

I think Activision predicted this. They counted on that extra cash from microtransactions and the more expensive versions bundled with COD4 Remastered to counter it.

jonno394

Coming out of the initial reveals, press and word of mouth seemed more positive about Battlefield 1 than this, so only expected that the former ate some of the latters lunch. Only question is, where do Activision go from this? Follow Battlefield and go back to historical titles in hope it brings people back?

bombshell

Everyone but Activision could see from a mile away that putting 3 studios on identically looking games time period wise would lead to fatigue. That studio setup was ideal for providing diversity, but nope.

Kinda sucks Activision already ruined the future CoD setting so fast.

Just too many meh games from them. Advanced Warfare seems like the only current gen cod people really liked

Mrbob

geordiemp

I think Activision predicted this. They counted on that extra cash from microtransactions and the more expensive versions bundled with COD4 Remastered to counter it.

No activision caused this by introducing Pay2win multiplayer perks and worthless season passes - this is the full backlash from Bo3 p2w COD points for guns in Easter.

Easter everybody already had the game and season pass, backlash was always going to be next game....

Cross post from the PAL tread:

As much as I don't give a shit about it (Infinite Warfare is literally the first COD I've felt the need to buy since the WWII games), they need to ditch all the Sci Fi bollocks and go back to Modern Warfare, or even an older era, next year.

Between the boost in sales Battlefield received for rewinding to the First World War, this drop in YOY sales even with the Modern Warfare remaster, and Titanfall 2 stumbling out of the gate, I'm hoping that message gets through to everyone holding the purse strings at Activision that it's time to reverse course on this weird futuristic tangent they decided to go all in on, despite no one ever asking for it.

Like I say, I don't actually want those games, but simply for the health of the wider industry, we need games like COD and FIFA and Pokemon to stay as healthy and evergreen as possible so that the average Joe/Jane will keep supporting the hardware and potentially becoming interested in more enthusiast titles down the line.

Rymuth

I guess EA's 'use Titanfall as a sacrificial pawn to take the wind out of COD's sail' worked.

Wonder what Acti will do for the next COD (Ghosts 2?) in response to this.

FatboyTim

I'm not tired of CoD, per se. I just dislike the current-gen CoD with all of it's wallrunning, double-jumping bullshit.

Of course this time around, the Microtransaction Loot Crate nonsense is also a massive turn-off.

I'll pick up Advanced Warfare Remastered though, if/when they decide to sell it separately.

Animator

Watching the MP streams I am surprised it even sold this much because the game looks like a cheap titanfall 2 knockoff in every way imaginable.

yuraya

More people are playing Rainbow Six Siege on Steam at the moment than they are IW. Its a very terrible showing on PC so its not surprising the sales are down on consoles. Down 48% is a lot too.

Also those Black Ops #s from 2010 are ridiculous wtf >_>

You can throw out the old install base excuse this time. Even has a COD4 remaster. Should be adding numbers or worst selling the same, not dropping 48%.

Mrbob

RB6 Siege is awesome though so it should be. I need to get that game in pc during the winter sale. Just have it in ps4 at the moment.

Shame really because it actually turned out to be a decent game, the campaign is solid too. The hate was certainly not justified anyway, but even with the fall, I'm sure it will still sell a lot worldwide.

Bumhead

Banned
Coming out of the initial reveals, press and word of mouth seemed more positive about Battlefield 1 than this, so only expected that the former ate some of the latters lunch. Only question is, where do Activision go from this? Follow Battlefield and go back to historical titles in hope it brings people back?

I think they've got to.

Right now the series seems to lack any sort of identity. There seems to suddenly be a number of sub-IP's that people aren't responding to and are going nowhere fast. Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare, maybe even Black Ops after III.. it all feels so directionless. I liked Advanced Warfare but would anybody care if we never got another of any of the 4 of those?

They need to get back to basics and find an identity. Get back to establishing proper sub-series' in "real world" scenarios (be that historical or modern day)

Hip Hop

I don't think it's fatigue for the COD series as a whole.

Infinity Ward are the bottom developer when it comes to the franchise and people just avoid them to stick with Treyarch.

They've been on a streak of gamers not liking their stuff so Infinite Warfare did not change that mindset.

It's especially worse when people are tired of the futuristic setting and the microtransactions are much more aggressive than what we've seen in previous titles..

Floody

Would love to know how many people who bought the £80 version are actually playing IW, literally everyone on my friend's list just plays MWR, haven't seen a single person playing IW yet.
Hopefully, Activision sells it as standalone soon do really want to play it, but refuse to pay £80 to do so.

coastel

If it wasn't for the remaster with it i would not of got it. Same futuristic crap and it seems people may feel the same way.

I stopped buying CoD annually starting with ghosts, which I didn't buy. For some reason I decided to buy Blops 3 last year and couldn't even be bothered to finish the campaign or play more than a handful of mp matches. I just can't get into near future/future sci fi COD and everything about the games now are needlessly complicated. I picked up Battlefield 1 this year and hope to get Titanfall 2 at some point because of the positive buzz, but honestly I'm kind of burnt out on the entire FPS genre as a whole.

Chris1

Wonder what Acti will do for the next COD (Ghosts 2?) in response to this.

LOL!

I think their plans would involve increasing sales, not making them even worse. The Ghosts franchise is dead, my guess is they'll go back to MW4 or something (if you mean IW's next CoD - If there is one and they don't get brushed aside for raven lmao)

crip258

Neo Member
From PAL thread

Well deserved, microshit greed an the seeds of greed were sown in Easter this year when COD multiplayer went P2W - when you can pay for advantages in COD multiplayer then they have really lost their way..

Activision and COD forums everyone went crazy about Bo3 COD points for guns in Easter this year.......BUT we had already bought our useless season passes and the game, however, everybody felt hard done to and bitter. I felt cheated, DLC I had to pay for with a season pass...nice....

The P2W mechanic for multiplayer in infinite warefare is really bad and worse than last game, dissenters making their voices heard and this was always going to happen, I called this 6 months ago and it feels so sweet.....delicious.

Activision just got greedy with p2w mechanic and asking people to pay a shit load for the game and maps..Pay for points for RNG to get a gun that heals you quicker ....my god, how low can you go.

I for one not bought COD this year or season pass, first time for a decade. Trying out Titanfall this year as I refused COD points for gun perks....they can fuck off.

Totally agree with you, I did the same but instead bought Battlefield 1.

FINALLLLLY. It's time, now they can get on to making new games... which will then become a large franchise and they'll pump that out year after year.

It was insane by Activision to release COD that close after Titanfall 2.

Even adding the, what, 80k maybe? sales of Titanfall 2 so far to the Infinite Warfare numbers it would still be massively down compared to normal COD sales.

Titanfall 2 may well have exacerbated the feeling of Sci Fi Shooter fatigue, but it's still a bug splat of COD's windshield as far as its significance goes.

This is all down to Activision not giving people what they want for years, combined with EA blindsiding them with going as hard as possible back to old school industrialised warfare in the same year.

I really hope this doesn't have a knock on affect on Destiny 2 next year, now I think about it.

flozuki

Even adding the, what, 80k maybe? sales of Titanfall 2 so far to the Infinite Warfare numbers it would still be massively down compared to normal COD sales.

Titanfall 2 may well have exacerbated the feeling of Sci Fi Shooter fatigue, but it's still a bug splat of COD's windshield as far as its significance goes.

This is all down to Activision not giving people what they want for years, combined with EA blindsiding them with going as hard as possible back to old school industrialised warfare in the same year.

I really hope this doesn't have a knock on affect on Destiny 2 next year, now I think about it.

It seems I should have added a smiley??? ;-)

Chris1

Destiny will be fine.

Funny speaking of Destiny though, it was only a few weeks ago there was a topic asking if Destiny was bigger than CoD... At this rate Destiny 2 will probably sell 3x what CoD will next year lol

FINALLLLLY. It's time, now they can get on to making new games... which will then become a large franchise and they'll pump that out year after year.

That's some optimism.

3 studios. 3 timelines. WW2. Modern. Future.

If that fails, they'll pull the trump card aka "Call of Duty 5" which will be some crazy three studio collaborations each working on SP, MP and Zombies separately.

If that fails then it'll be new games.

Not many have had this big a drop though and not many were selling to the two or three games a year crowd like cod does. I really think it's fatigue now and the last three or so games being future based.

Gears 4 opened at a third of Gears 3's retail sales. I'm pretty sure Battlefield 1 was considerably down on Battlefield 3. COD might have been affected more because it's a much bigger brand with more to lose, but there's definitely a trend this year of games selling worse than their predecessor.

wapplew

Gears 4 opened at a third of Gears 3's retail sales. I'm pretty sure Battlefield 1 was considerably down on Battlefield 3. COD might have been affected more because it's a much bigger brand with more to lose, but there's definitely a trend this year of games selling worse than their predecessor.

FIFA at all time high tho.
Maybe just down for shooter, too much choice, many new comer take some of the cake.

Chris1

Was down big from BF3 but up massively from BF4.

[Week 43, 2011] BATTLEFIELD 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 404,000 / NEW
[Week 44, 2013] BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 125,000 / NEW
[Week 12, 2015] BATTLEFIELD HARDLINE (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 115,000 / NEW
[Week 47, 2015] STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 335,000 / NEW
[Week 42, 2016] BATTLEFIELD 1 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) < 277,000 / NEW

Theorry

BF3 had a install base of 6 years tho. So always find those sales difficult to compare. To last gen and later in the console cycle etc,

Evilmaus

I've not bought or played a COD game or Battlefield in years, and years, and years.

They hold absolutely zero interest for me these days and I doubt they ever will again. They used to be fun little time-wasters but even for that use they're just boring and stale nowadays.

EvB

Also this explains why IW is like #6 on the most played list on Xbox, behind games like forza horizon 3 and even BO3. I assumed it was because of MWR which is right behind IW, but I guess not.

That list isn't real time, it updates every 7 days.
Give it a few more days and you'll see it shoot up the list

Top Bottom