• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Sales - Wii U game sales just 25k in February, Vita just 35k, Nintendo down by 49%

Credit to jvm.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50643810&postcount=81

I'll let y'all have fun with these. UK market.
Code:
---------------------------------------
Units		Jan '12		Jan '13
Xbox 360	860K		810K
PS3		575K		545K
PC		310K		230K
Wii		535K		180K
NDS		310K		140K
3DS		160K		110K
PSV		---		 45K
Wii U		---		 35K
PSP		 30K		 15K
PS2		  5K		  0K

Revenue		Jan '12		Jan '13
Xbox 360	£20.9mm		£20.0mm
PS3		£13.4mm		£12.9mm
PC		 £4.1mm		 £3.0mm
Wii		£10.8mm		 £3.4mm
NDS		 £5.1mm		 £2.2mm
3DS		 £4.5mm		 £2.9mm
PSV		---		 £1.1mm
Wii U		---		 £1.2mm
PSP		 £0.4mm		 £0.1mm
PS2		 £0.0mm		 £0.0mm

Units		Feb '12		Feb '13
Xbox 360	715K		715K
PS3		550K		530K
PC		250K		215K
Wii		320K		125K
NDS		240K		110K
3DS		120K		 90K
PSV		---		 35K
Wii U		---		 25K
PSP		 25K		 10K
PS2		  0K		  0K

Revenue		Feb '12		Feb '13
Xbox 360	£19.4mm		£19.9mm
PS3		£15.0mm		£14.4mm
PC		 £3.2mm		 £3.0mm
Wii		 £6.6mm		 £2.3mm
NDS		 £3.9mm		 £1.7mm
3DS		 £3.5mm		 £2.3mm
PSV		 £3.0mm		 £0.8mm
Wii U		---		 £0.8mm
PSP		 £0.3mm		 £0.1mm
PS2		 £0.0mm		 £0.0mm

Units		YTD '12		YTD '13
Xbox 360	1570K		1530K
PS3		1120K		1075K
PC		 565K		 445K
Wii		 855K		 305K
NDS		 545K		 250K
3DS		 280K		 200K
PSV		  95K		  80K
Wii U		---		  60K
PSP		  55K		  20K
PS2		   5K		   5K

Revenue		YTD '12		YTD '13
Xbox 360	£40.4mm		£39.9mm
PS3		£28.3mm		£27.3mm
PC		 £7.3mm		 £6.0mm
Wii		£17.4mm		 £5.7mm
NDS		 £9.0mm		 £3.9mm
3DS		 £8.0mm		 £5.2mm
PSV		 £3.0mm		 £1.9mm
Wii U		---		 £2.0mm
PSP		 £0.6mm		 £0.2mm
PS2		 £0.0mm		 £0.0mm

Another month/country where Wii U and Vita have been failing. It's getting worse too.

Same analysis as last time.

February 2012 vs Feb 2013 unit sales:

Total market decrease - 16.4%
Non-Nintendo decrease - 2.3%
Non-Nintendo decrease console only - 0.0%
Nintendo decrease - 48.5%

Still shows a collapse in Nintendo's software sales and the new platforms not picking up the slack. Interestingly, the drop in PSP and PS3 game sales were actually made up by Vita game sales and it's highly likely that digital sales account for a fair number on Vita, so PlayStation as a platform will be up slightly YoY.

Well the 3DS lineup in January 13 was scarce as fuck, as was the Wii U. Honestly not surprised.

Lesson Nintendo; releasing Paper Mario in December then nothing else until March is stupid. It's really, really stupid.

PS+ is the best marketing campaign Vita ever had. I really want one since I signed up.

Lot of pressure riding on Lego City this month.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Wait... What?

£25k in game sales for a month. At an average of £40 a title that's just 625 sales in total for the month for the whole of the country?

Oh my..

madmackem

So pretty much as is bar ninty falling off the cliff. I really dont see a way back for them either, the market has spoken it sees no value or reason to buy a wii u and i dont think even nintendos big hitters will bring it back.

Busty

Banned
Yikes. This is just awful. Unfortunately for all concerned I have a feeling that the WiiU has lower to sink than this.

They had Mario game on launch, why does it bomb so hard?

The Nintendo hardcore bought the system and no one else did..., or will. People simply aren't interested.

Kouriozan

Well, everyone expect a console to bomb if there is no game released for it.
And that's a good thing that it's bombing, Nintendo need to wake up. You don't sell console without softwares.

Bumhead

Banned
The system is dead here.

It has the same complete lack of retail or consumer level presence as the Vita. People just don't know it exists and those that do don't give a shit that it does. Anecdotal, but I've heard - both directly and in passing - more conversations about the PS4 reveal than I have the Wii U and Vita combined.

To be honest, I think even people who assume Mario Kart and 3D Mario will solve this are getting a little ahead of themselves. I genuinely think that ship has sailed.

It's just a washout in the UK. And that's Nintendo's problem. Not the UK market's.

Wait... What?

£25k in game sales for a month. At an average of £40 a title that's just 625 sales in total for the month for the whole of the country?

Oh my..

unit sales, revenue is listed seperately,
the one slight bit of good news for nintendo is that wii u has the highest revenue per unit sold

Also factors like a new Pokemon coming out for DS probably kept the DS alive longer and didn't exactly help the 3DS. But I'm not worried, because both the 3DS and Wii U have had really lackluster retail releases recently in the UK. We've not been treated well. March is set to change that.

It would also be nice if Nintendo stopped doing their little Japanese only third party Nintendo Directs and realised that the rest of the world is very much in need of a boost.

So pretty much as is bar ninty falling off the cliff. I really dont see a way back for them either, the market has spoken it sees no value or reason to buy a wii u and i dont think even nintendos big hitters will bring it back.

It's not that simple.

Alternative choices, including the 3DS, including the Vita, are all cheaper. You can get a 360 or PS3 for half the price of a Premium Wii U -- I own one, and I am still enthusiastic about it, but I totally understand people asking themselves "Why would I buy this now?"

That basic question is all the more exacerbated by the anaemic release schedule since November. It was bad before Rayman got delayed, its worse now. There have literally been no good reasons outside of two launch titles to buy one. Lego City and Need for Speed should be good releases for people who own the console, but I don't think anybody is going to go out and buy a Wii U for them.

They need to put some energies into the UK in the new fiscal year - because the 3DS isn't doing particularly well either. They need much better price incentives and much better releases and announcements. Wii U needs announcements for that market now... they really shouldn't be waiting.

daxgame

dark times for Nintendo in the UK. 3DS needs his Pokemon (curious to see how LM will perform). WiiU needs... games.
Vita bombing in Europe is also worrisome :(

Also; stop fucking around with the original Wii, making new models, making it cheaper. It's not helping. At all. For god's sake, let it die so people have to look to an alternative.

But seriously; low software sales in the UK for 3DS during Jan-Feb 13 is not shocking. At all. I reiterate that we've had zero big releases, whilst NA at least had Fire Emblem.

Also; stop fucking around with the original Wii, making new models, making it cheaper. It's not helping. At all. For god's sake, let it die so people have to look to an alternative.

But seriously; low software sales in the UK for 3DS during Jan-Feb 13 is not shocking. At all. I reiterate that we've had zero big releases, whilst NA at least had Fire Emblem.

Bad idea because the alternative people will buy is PS3 or 360, not Wii U. Nintendo keeping the Wii around is a good idea.

dc89

This time next month will be a better indicator as to how WiiU is doing. Monster Hunter and Lego City this month, a lot riding on the pair of them I guess.

madmackem

It's not that simple.

Alternative choices, including the 3DS, including the Vita, are all cheaper. You can get a 360 or PS3 for half the price of a Premium Wii U -- I own one, and I am still enthusiastic about it, but I totally understand people asking themselves "Why would I buy this now?"

That basic question is all the more exacerbated by the anaemic release schedule since November. It was bad before Rayman got delayed, its worse now. There have literally been no good reasons outside of two launch titles to buy one. Lego City and Need for Speed should be good releases for people who own the console, but I don't think anybody is going to go out and buy a Wii U for them.

They need to put some energies into the UK in the new fiscal year - because the 3DS isn't doing particularly well either. They need much better price incentives and much better releases and announcements. Wii U needs announcements for that market now... they really shouldn't be waiting.

The biggest selling versions of 360 and ps3 will be the mid tier which is still the thick end of £200. Nintendo lost the uk when the wii was dieing and they mixed up the message too much of wii u and priced it too high. People just seem to be done with nintendo, i just cant see how they can get them back.

If this includes Nintendo Land, then considering other software like NSMBU, I would imagine the Wii U sold something like 30K HW in January and 20K in February.

Abysmal.

Bad idea because the alternative people will buy is PS3 or 360, not Wii U. Nintendo keeping the Wii around is a good idea.

I just think experimenting with that more whilst their future console is floundering is a terrible idea. It's exactly the same thing they did with the DS in the first year of the 3DS. Nintendo's like an obsessive ex, they need to realise they had a good thing and move on!

Striek

Looks like the dedicated portable market is pretty fucked in the UK.

Why?

Even with that the Wii is plummeting quickly, providing very little competition to the Wii U, nor the DS to the 3DS for that matter. FAR less than previous market leaders did to their successors.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
from the PAL thread but since this is pretty definitive news:

Uk-based Nintendeath, nothing to it. Looks like a totally dying company over here and seemingly Iwata doesn't have anything to change that. When you choose to never expand outwards and pick up western studios or invest in larger more native marketing and PR branches (Nintendo UK used to be a thing didnt it? Now they're just phantoms), this is what you reap.

Things like Inazuma Eleven never getting the proper push it should have done over here in FOOTBALL-LAND is just a reason why Nintendo deserves this level of failure. Plenty of UK studios that were going cheaply into oblivion that could have developed more UK native product to bump up their software portfolio, but Nintendo never chose to step in on prime opportunities like Bizarre, Eurocom, etc. Don't you dare spend any of that money Iwata, it looks like everythings just peachy!!

So conclusion: Theres stuff they could have done 2-3 years ago but didn't, so will just remain fucked.

When is the last time a Wii U game made top 40? It's been at least 3 months right?

Someone counted - 12 weeks

Vita games charted twice in February in end of top 40.

Hmm not sure if i should be proud that i'm responsible for 1/20000 of Vita software in UK in jan+Feb period :D

Bumhead

Banned
This time next month will be a better indicator as to how WiiU is doing. Monster Hunter and Lego City this month, a lot riding on the pair of them I guess.

I don't think either will chart above 30.

I don't think Most Wanted will chart at all.

Just my call, mind.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think either will chart above 30.

I don't think Most Wanted will chart at all.

Just my call, mind.

Monster Hunter will probably chart higher than 30 on Wii U.
But I feel Most Wanted will be out and will crater big time. I have good hopes for Lego City, though.

Uk-based Nintendeath, nothing to it. Looks like a totally dying company over here and seemingly Iwata doesn't have anything to change that. When you choose to never expand outwards and pick up western studios or invest in larger more native marketing and PR branches (Nintendo UK used to be a thing didnt it? Now they're just phantoms), this is what you reap.

Things like Inazuma Eleven never getting the proper push it should have done over here in FOOTBALL-LAND is just a reason why Nintendo deserves this level of failure. Plenty of UK studios that were going cheaply into oblivion that could have developed more UK native product to bump up their software portfolio, but Nintendo never chose to step in on prime opportunities like Bizarre, Eurocom, etc. Don't you dare spend any of that money Iwata, it looks like everythings just peachy!!

So conclusion: Theres stuff they could have done 2-3 years ago but didn't, so will just remain fucked.

IE couldn't really be helped as it took a long long time to get a tv channel to run the anime, by which time the DS was into it dying days, however i agree nintendo should've stepped in a bought one of the studios here that collapsed

I just think experimenting with that more whilst their future console is floundering is a terrible idea. It's exactly the same thing they did with the DS in the first year of the 3DS. Nintendo's like an obsessive ex, they need to realise they had a good thing and move on!

But people looking for a cheap gaming experience will look for a Wii or DS, no need to send them nicely wrapped up with a bow to Sony so they buy a PS3 or PSP instead when they can't find a cheap Nintendo gaming experience.

The market that is buying the Wii for £129 isn't really the same market as the one not buying the Wii U for £299. Nintendo not offering a value proposition is a poor idea as it will just drive consumers to Sony.

At this point I just wish they'd update the 3DS to be region free and let us import from America.

Taker666

dark times for Nintendo in the UK. 3DS needs his Pokemon (curious to see how LM will perform). WiiU needs... games.
Vita bombing in Europe is also worrisome :(

They also need a complete refresh of their marketing. They have barely changed it for years (their campaigns are completely stagnant) ..and there's very little of it. I've yet to see any tv ads for Monster Hunter, Lego City or Luigi's Mansion 2.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
At this point I just wish they'd update the 3DS to be region free and let us import from America.

Its what I used to do with the DS. Unsurprising then that I am still yet to own a 3DS because I just cant bring myself to buy a region-locked handheld (or decide between picking up a US model but then never getting to rent a 3DS game from LoveFilm).

Top Bottom