• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS3/360 - Nov. 15) [Up: Entire Roster Leaked, Art In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

enzo_gt said:
Yes it is. And it is indeed very annoying. These are simple things to change, and the silhouettes appearing instead of the colours is nonsensical.
Ugh, could someone attending EVO bring this up to SKill or any Capcom dev. there?

I've got a request too. Can anyone ask Nitsuma (or heck, Seth) if the weird issue with Japanese voices and characters with alternate names still exists?

What I mean is Hsien-Ko and Akuma. In Japan they're known as Lei-Lei and Gouki, right? But no one on the Capcom side with Japanese voices refers to them by name or ANYTHING at all. It's so cold, and I'm wondering if the same thing will happen to Phoenix Wright (Ryuichi Naruhodo) and Firebrand (Red Arremer). It'd be nice to have the other characters actually acknowledge them this time around!

Doom's s.H should be an assist, imo. :lol
Haha, that would be funny. Personally, I'd love Photon Shot. :-O

The part about him having no way to create space. He has flame carpet, the blackholes, and the pillar to pop walls in front of him and off of that you can throw out his power of move to push them off. Whenever there full screen away I pop walls to charge power ofs just to have one ready if they get to close. The spikes are awesome and if you manage to fully charge it that leads to mad pain with what it'll combo into.

Maybe I'm misreading what you meant though because he does have to lay a wall up in front of him for this, but thats kind of the cornerstone to how I used to play him.
Those are all effective space control, but they don't create space, because neither Flame Carpet, Black Hole, nor Purification cause any kind of pushback on block. Your opponent just falls/sits in place. Eventually, unless your opponent has trouble blocking, the distance will be closed. This is why I mentioned something like Jam Session, which pushes your opponent back ~half screen.

The way I see it, Dormammu can make your trip toward him hell, but he can't actually stop you from getting there. If you want to play dedicated keepaway with Dormammu, an effective anti-air assist is absolutely necessary.

Man I hope japan puts up the character themes or something soon :( I need firebrand's!
He has the second best theme, right behind Arthur. I wish they would ditch all of this techno crap and do guitar renditions.

Edit: And IMO, Jam Session is one of Dormammu's best assists. I would use it if I didn't hate Dante.

Dr. Strange/Frank West
Iron Fist/Nemesis
Nova/Phoenix Wright
Rocket Raccoon/Vergil

Here's the order the characters were revealed on the website...Wouldn't be a stretch for them to be revealed again in that order. referanced from srk *rolls eyes*

I have heard some people talking on Shoryuken that Shuma/Jill bombed bad enough that Capcom is wanting to steer clear of DLC characters. Is there anyone in the know here that can comment on this?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Toxicplatypus said:
Dr. Strange/Frank West
Iron Fist/Nemesis
Nova/Phoenix Wright
Rocket Raccoon/Vergil

Here's the order the characters were revealed on the website...Wouldn't be a stretch for them to be revealed again in that order.
What do you mean revealed in that order?

I thought people just guessed links until they they worked?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
monkspider said:
I have heard some people talking on Shoryuken that Shuma/Jill bombed bad enough that Capcom is wanting to steer clear of DLC characters. Is there anyone in the know here that can comment on this?

If they didn't give out the source then they are making it up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Karsticles said:
Care to reference that SRK conversation? It's probably just people BSing. People on SRK often talk a lot while knowing very little.

Please let this be false:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/2...-have-dlc-like-an-unlimited-hyper-combo-mode/
Purchasing modes that account to kilobytes in changes to game code sounds lame as fuck, especially considering shit like this was implemented in vanilla in the form of events. But these are the casual options I want and asked GB to ask Seth at Evo.

But if this is from Famitsu, surely there must be a preview or something up on the internet.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Karsticles said:
Care to reference that SRK conversation? It's probably just people BSing. People on SRK often talk a lot while knowing very little.

Please let this be false:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/2...-have-dlc-like-an-unlimited-hyper-combo-mode/

Why the fuck can't that shit be ON THE DISC? *sigh* I hope that's false.

How is that even being entertained? NRS had full modes like this, FOR FREE...on the disc. You didn't need to buy it. It better be free or worth those useless ass points you get when you play the game.

Anth0ny

Nickel and diming on DLC seems especially strange since I've heard rumors of Capcom execs being upset that Mortal Kombat was doing better than MvC3.

Though, I guess it does line up nicely with reality that maybe they were upset but did not understand why it was selling better.

Neki

Oldschoolgamer said:
Why the fuck can't that shit be ON THE DISC? *sigh* I hope that's false.

How is that even being entertained? NRS had full modes like this, FOR FREE...on the disc. You didn't need to buy it. It better be free or worth those useless ass points you get when you play the game.

why would you even want that mode. it's basically one hit kill in that mode.

Anth0ny said:
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Phoenix without the need to worry about meter? wat

and if you really wanted to play that way, can't you just do it in training mode? who the hell would pay for this.
This question is a trap. For the love of all that is peaceful, no one should answer this question.

They totally fucked Dante confirmed LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEV6PAjvUA&feature=player_embedded#at=2999

Skip to the 50 minute mark exactly. Shit is hilarious.

Yeah, that's Floe. He may not be the greatest out there, but he usually doesn't drop intermediate Dante combos back to back to back to back.

What they have effectively done is force everyone to resort to the day 1 Marn combo, BECAUSE NONE OF THE OTHER SHIT LANDS.

Instead of lowering damage output or something on a character that didn't really do high damage, they prevent the player from doing the whole point of the character to begin with, stylish and creative combos.

Dante was one of the few characters that really broke the (A B C, 1 2 3) meme of Marvel, since his combos required jump cancels, frame cancels, rekka motions etc.

Toski

Capcom will sell you useless modes yet not characters, and they wonder why people are mad at them.

I foresee Capcom doing a UMvC3:AE only if Marvel lets them get Venom/Anti-Venom/Carnage, Gambit, and Ms. Marvel. There would be no way to sell it to a sizeable number of people without those characters.

Nickel and diming on DLC seems especially strange since I've heard rumors of Capcom execs being upset that Mortal Kombat was doing better than MvC3.

Though, I guess it does line up nicely with reality that maybe they were upset but did not understand why it was selling better.
Executives never understand this stuff, because they're only good at crunching numbers. It's part of the stupidity of modern corporate structure.

They totally fucked Dante confirmed LOL.
That's a lot of crying over a game we haven't had the chance to explore yet, and that isn't even near a finished state. Dormammu had some stuff broken too, but you don't see me freaking out.

Nyoro SF

Does Capcom even entertain the idea of an UMvC3 arcade release? I highly doubt it, it would not make them any money.

They didn't even release the updated version of TvC to arcades. That really disappointed me, since a lot of people in Japan had the cabinet hardware already.

Khal_B

@lowhighkang_LHK

For his bnb, I wonder if after air play, j.h, when Dante lands, if he dashes up and does m, h into cold shower if the prop shrdder will connect.

Look @ 43 seconds into this vid to see what I'm talking about

Toski

Nyoro SF said:
Does Capcom even entertain the idea of an UMvC3 arcade release? I highly doubt it, it would not make them any money.

They didn't even release the updated version of TvC to arcades. That really disappointed me, since a lot of people in Japan had the cabinet hardware already.
Its just a makeshift name for a third version of MvC3.
SF4>>SSF4>>SSF4:AE

Nobody actually thinks that there will be an arcade edition. They could call it MvC3: Third Strike.

Khal_B said:
@lowhighkang_LHK

For his bnb, I wonder if after air play, j.h, when Dante lands, if he dashes up and does m, h into cold shower if the prop shrdder will connect.

Look @ 43 seconds into this vid to see what I'm talking about

No, that doesn't work either. My buddy does that specific version of that airplay combo, and that's what he couldn't land.

He suspected that if he did a trimmed version of that combo, that it would land - but like the video link I posted earlier, it once again proved that won't land either.

Problem is by the time you get to the prop shredder (even if dashing in works and it lands) the character recovers out of it.

Making the point of doing that combo stupid. What you should do - apparently, and unfortunately, is to bookend the combo ASAP with one ABC on the ground, one ABC on the air, do whatever move to knock down in reverb shock - fireworks - millions dollars.

How fucking exciting isn't it. # sarcasm.

Khal_B

lowhighkang_LHK said:
No, that doesn't work either. My buddy does that specific version of that airplay combo, and that's what he couldn't land.

Dang, I thought maybe there was a glimmer of hope there. For someone who put a lot of time into learning Dante and stick at the same time, that really makes me salty lol.

But like Karst said, perhaps there's a chance that this will change in the final build, or we may be given new tools for new combo opportunities. If they give us something viable that can end up in landing the hammer from the air, I think everything should be more or less fine since his OTG properties seem unchanged.

If all we're stuck with is magic series combos for Dante though, then Vergil ftw.

lowhighkang_LHK said:

He suspected that if he did a trimmed version of that combo, that it would land - but like the video link I posted earlier, it once again proved that won't land either.

Problem is by the time you get to the prop shredder (even if dashing in works and it lands) the character recovers out of it.

Making the point of doing that combo stupid. What you should do - apparently, and unfortunately, is to bookend the combo ASAP with one ABC on the ground, one ABC on the air, do whatever move to knock down in reverb shock - fireworks - millions dollars.

How fucking exciting isn't it. # sarcasm.

I wasn't good at Dante, but I could secretly hope some day I could do something impressive. I'm very saddened by this development. My poor poor Dante. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
To help pass the time, an updated alternate colour list:

New Alternate colours: (each returning character gets 2 more on top of their old 4 colours for a total of 6 colour schemes for each character)

Captain America
Deadpool
Dormammu
  • Strange Tales #146 outfit [Pic]
Dr. Doom
  • Future Foundation outfit [Pic]
  • Identity Wars outfit [Pic]
Ghost Rider
  • 90s Ghost Rider outfit [Pic]
Hawkeye
  • Original outfit [Pic]
  • Evil Hawkeye from Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems outfit [Pic]
Hulk
  • Classic, Modified Pants outfit [Pic]
  • Age of X outfit [Pic]
Iron Man
  • Evil Iron Man from Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems outfit [Pic]
Magneto
Phoenix [All outfits here]
  • X-Men Forever outfit [Tweaked old costume] [Pic]
  • New X-Men outfit [Tweaked old costume] [Pic]
  • 80's X-Factor outfit [Pic]
  • Age of Apocalypse outfit [Pic]
She-Hulk
  • Fantastic Four outfit [Pic]
Spider-Man
Storm
Super-Skrull
Thor
Wolverine
  • Evil Wolverine from Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems outfit [Pic]

Shout outs to fellow GAFers and eventhubs for the help.

CPS2

lowhighkang_LHK is MvC3 the first fighting game you've ever played? Old combos not working in newer iterations is nothing new... but the idea is new moves and balancing. Don't act so surprised.

vg260

monkspider said:

Even if true, it's not surprising and due to the characters themselves. No one wanted an obscure eyeball octopus instead of a well known Marvel villain aside from a contingent within Capcom. It was a dumb choice way back in the original MSH when they should have used a classic villain and a dumb choice now. No one wanted that version of Jill either. Terrible choices to test the waters.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Karsticles said:
That's a lot of crying over a game we haven't had the chance to explore yet, and that isn't even near a finished state. Dormammu had some stuff broken too, but you don't see me freaking out.

Because Dormammu didn't get straight nerfs. He gained the ability to summons spells while airborne.

Dahbomb

CPS2 said:
lowhighkang_LHK is MvC3 the first fighting game you've ever played? Old combos not working in newer iterations is nothing new... but the idea is new moves and balancing. Don't act so surprised.
It's a major nerf to Dante who's strength has always been long, high meter building combos that did high damage but required some execution. He had numerous ways to incorporate his moves into combos and every player can customize combos to his own way, much like the actual theme of the character himself (keepin' it stylish).

They are basically nerfing the high execution combos and forcing you to use Day 1 combos with Dante (which are still damaging but not near as fun, hype or stylish). This is much different than a Dive kick nerf on Wolverine where he can't use a ground bounce because his BnB is still unaltered if he uses another start up. Dante legitimately can't do some of his intricate combos relegating him to just another character in terms of combo potential.

CAPCOM IF YOU ARE READING THIS UNDO THE NERFS ON DANTE IMMEDIATELY!!!!

I am fine if Capcom removes stuff like Dante's Pop Shredder loops, Acid Rain loops or nerfing Hammer.

DR2K

Banned
2&2 said:
Even if true, it's not surprising and due to the characters themselves. No one wanted an obscure eyeball octopus instead of a well known Marvel villain aside from a contingent within Capcom. It was a dumb choice way back in the original MSH when they should have used a classic villain and a dumb choice now. No one wanted that version of Jill either. Terrible choices to test the waters.

Most of the characters added in MVC3 wouldn't perform any differently if added as DLC.

MUA2 used Juggernaut as a pre order incentive, and it's DLC was X-Men characters(Cable, Psylocke, and Magneto) and Carnage + Black Panther. It also has an infinitely superior roster than MVC3 marvel side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2Nvcfzve0

Just embarrassingly better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
It's a major nerf to Dante who's strength has always been long, high meter building combos that did high damage but required some execution. He had numerous ways to incorporate his moves into combos and every player can customize combos to his own way, much like the actual theme of the character himself (keepin' it stylish).

They are basically nerfing the high execution combos and forcing you to use Day 1 combos with Dante (which are still damaging but not near as fun, hype or stylish). This is much different than a Dive kick nerf on Wolverine where he can't use a ground bounce because his BnB is still unaltered if he uses another start up. Dante legitimately can't do some of his intricate combos relegating him to just another character in terms of combo potential.

I am fine if Capcom removes stuff like Dante's Pop Shredder loops, Acid Rain loops or nerfing Hammer.
While I agree with you that the changes were uncalled for, this is in no way forcing you to use day 1 combos with Dante. Its Day -200 and people on the stream were already using alternate, adapted combos that were more damaging and longer than day 1 Dante combos.

You can't assume shit like this months before release. People will adapt. Perhaps Dante has undiscovered tools that can make up for what he lost. We know next to nothing so far, so we shouldn't be making snap judgements.

Plus they gave you Vergil. You have no right to ask for more out of them :p

DR2K said:
Most of the characters added in MVC3 wouldn't perform any differently if added as DLC.

MUA2 used Juggernaut as a pre order incentive, and it's DLC was X-Men characters(Cable, Psylocke, and Magneto) and Carnage + Black Panther. It also has an infinitely superior roster than MVC3 marvel side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2Nvcfzve0

Just embarrassingly better.
Holy shit a Marvel-only game having a better Marvel roster? You got to be fucking kidding me! Someone has to let Capcom know of this now!

CPS2

enzo_gt said:
You can't assume shit like this months before release. People will adapt. Perhaps Dante has undiscovered tools that can make up for what he lost. We know next to nothing so far, so we shouldn't be making snap judgements.

That's exactly what I'm saying. If none of the stuff you used to do, works, that doesn't mean that nothing works any more. It's been like that in countless other updates to fighting games.

Also you can't keep all of your old combos and have a more balanced game. It just doesn't work that way.

CPS2 said:

No it's not.

But, it's not a matter of a few old combos no longer working. All the effective branch points in Dante's combos aren't possible from what I've been seeing.

And it seems Dante didn't really get any new moves afaik. They are running out of inputs and moves -to give him- in that regard.

And as for balancing, Dante didn't really need balancing. Maybe some xbox live champions thought Dante was top tier, but most advance players agreed that Dante was a solid middle-top tier character. Nobody really complained about cheap Dante wins, nowhere in the same department as Phoenix, Taskmaster (and his idiot proof 80% damage bnb's) Wesker, Wolverine, Sentinel etc.

In fact, the only two characters that actually really needed nerfs - was Wolverine and Phoenix.

You don't go and nerf the very essence of a character who really didn't need to be messed with in the beginning. That's like limiting the reach on Dhalsim's attacks. It just doesn't make sense, it's the whole point of the character.

It's kind of analagous in a "what the fuck" way has butchering Sentinel's health.

There are proper ways to nerf characters. You could technically nerf Phoenix by totally getting rid of Dark Phoenix, but that doesn't make any sense.

I really don't understand why Capcom complicated matters. Minor adjustments to Wolverine, Phoenix, take out DHC glitch, TAC glitch of She-Hulk, readjust X factor. And call it a fucking day. Nobody clamored for Magneto nerfs, Dante nerfs, Tron nerfs, Sentinel nerfs, Zero nerfs etc., etc., and ... etc.

CPS2 said:
That's exactly what I'm saying. If none of the stuff you used to do, works, that doesn't mean that nothing works any more. It's been like that in countless other updates to fighting games.

Also you can't keep all of your old combos and have a more balanced game. It just doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I get what you're saying. Ultimately, a new edition, new changes. Regardless if these changes make sense, it's the point of an update. Whatever. Like I said, I have no problem switching out Dante for either Vergil, Taskmaster or Strider (Depending on how Vergils play style is), but when you consider some of the most hypest moments in a Marvel tourney outside of Grand Finals tends to be a out of nowhere Dante combo that lights shit up, and you realize that you probably won't be getting that anymore, it's a damn shame.

And who knows - people drop combos, even pros...back to back to back... We need more concrete facts.

DR2K

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Holy shit a Marvel-only game having a better Marvel roster? You got to be fucking kidding me! Someone has to let Capcom know of this now!

There are just about as many characters on Marvel's side in MVC3. Putting things into perspective.

Old Dante is dead, new Dante will have new combos. He has a million god damn moves.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DR2K said:
There are just about as many characters on Marvel's side in MVC3. Putting things into perspective.

Old Dante is dead, new Dante will have new combos. He has a million god damn moves.
MUA2 and stuff like Super Hero Squad aren't MvC3, and don't have the licenses gripped by the balls as much as MvC3, and don't have the same audiences to get catered to as MvC3, and are not the same genre of game as MvC3. Character selection works pretty damn different between the two. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Also if you've played the MUA games then you know quite a lot about how identical characters play there.

Dahbomb said:

I was gonna post something until I read this. Could absolutely live with this as opposed to complete combo changes.

DR2K

Banned
enzo_gt said:
MUA2 and stuff like Super Hero Squad aren't MvC3, and don't have the licenses gripped by the balls as much as MvC3, and don't have the same audiences to get catered to as MvC3, and are not the same genre of game as MvC3. Character selection works pretty damn different between the two. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Activision and Co have their limitations as well. Capcom isn't the only Company with the Marvel license. Where did you hear about Capcom being held by balls, as you say?

enzo_gt said:
Also if you've played the MUA games then you know quite a lot about how identical characters play there.

That has more to do with the system than the roster, but even then there's tons of unique character play styles.

shaowebb

Anyone else wanting to make a team with ?/Phoenix Wright/Sentinel

I'm wanting to just so that I could do a Team Hyper Combo and have Phoenix and Sent show up behind my point character pointing as he does his move. It needs to be a really trollish douchebag character on point though. Maybe Joe doing Mach speed as the other two point in a very "go forth!" sort of manner.

Pure salt and absolutely impractical, but who cares. If I see a chance for this at the end of a match I will do it and taunt like crazy afterwards.

Go team "its impolite to point"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom