• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (PS3/360 - Nov. 15) [Up: Entire Roster Leaked, Art In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'm pretty sure Streetlamp links from s.L, s.M and s.H... oh jeeze, I've been at this an hour longer than I was planning to, haha. Ah well, another couple of minutes can't hurt...

There's no armour on Streetlamp, but it has delicious range. If I get a chance I'll see if it eats projectiles or not.

GuardianE said:
That's weird. It essentially makes Phantom Dance a kind of perpetual status buff then. Good info though, thanks!

Until you switch Wesker out, of course. It must have a weakness! I was thinking the damage thing would be it, but that doesn't appear to be it...

Heathcliff said:
I was hoping that one of them could actually land beside d.d + S and M

All the forwards runner's stance moves hit if you time them right.

Jintor

I successfully performed a launcher combo off a streetlamp + runners' stance + cancel + launcher + j.LMHS!

/edit And again! THE SYSTEM WORKS, PEOPLE!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Jintor said:
I successfully performed a launcher combo off a streetlamp + runners' stance + cancel + launcher + j.LMHS!

/edit And again! THE SYSTEM WORKS, PEOPLE!

2j4tzi8.gif

That's a good start.

Jintor

Okay, it looks like you can't cancel into streetlamp from s.L, M or H, it just links smoothly but there's no guarantee it can hit - opponents keep blocking or jumping the M in particular. H and L seem to work better in terms of moving into it.

I don't know how useful this will be because lamp has hella recovery and startup frames, although being cancelable into runner's stance is helping with the recovery.

/edit added a torpedo OTG and the first hit of an emerald cannon, although as predicted it fails the second wallbounce, at the end of the streetlamp-start air combo.

Jintor

Spencer's new divebomb move has hella startup, but it drags anybody hit by it down with you and you can grapple arm attack out of it almost immediately once it hits, so I think it might be an alright combo starter as well.

Jintor, things I would like for you to check for me sir for Dormammu:
1) Does c.L, c.M hit against a crouch-blocking and a crouch-not-blocking Amaterasu?
2) Can you cancel Dark Matter (f.H) into hypers?
3) What is Dormammu's health?
4) Can you jump-cancel a c.M (hitting or blocking)?
5) Can you chain c.M into Dark Matter (f.H)?

Thanks! I'll PM it to you as well.

Oh, and another thought:
When Firebrand is doing Bon Voyage (the move where he "surfs" on you), can he cancel mid-way into a hyper? It's a rather unique move, so I'm curious.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Jintor said:
Okay, it looks like you can't cancel into streetlamp from s.L, M or H, it just links smoothly but there's no guarantee it can hit - opponents keep blocking or jumping the M in particular. H and L seem to work better in terms of moving into it.

I don't know how useful this will be because lamp has hella recovery and startup frames, although being cancelable into runner's stance is helping with the recovery.

/edit added a torpedo OTG at the end of the streetlamp-start air combo.

if it can help us with zoning then it might be good. If it don't then it mightn't be great.

Sticky situation.

Sixfortyfive said:
Heaven forbid that a character with no mix-ups have good damage/chip output.
Ammy has far worse normals, worse damage and they still did something to nerf the option select.

Not bitching about my character before you get your panties in a twist.

Jintor

Karsticles said:
Oh, and another thought:
When Firebrand is doing Bon Voyage (the move where he "surfs" on you), can he cancel mid-way into a hyper? It's a rather unique move, so I'm curious.

No, you cannot cancel halfway through a Bon Voyage, but it's an easy OTG off the end of it so you can go from there.

GuardianE said:
That's really fascinating about the Wesker damage boost sans glasses. Considering it's straight buff, I don't see why anyone would keep the glasses on. Maybe it's timed? That would be a really strange mechanic.

Is Phantom Dance currently the only way to remove glasses on command? Does he have a new taunt, like forward+taunt, down+taunt, back+taunt?

Maybe it's like Vega's mask? More damage less defense?

Jintor

Right okay I'm really done for the day. I'm going to sleep.

/edit one last note before I drop off: Streetlamp does not interact with projectiles in any way.

Jintor

Nemesis556 said:
I'm so happy. I would've been so disappointed if they didn't include that soundbyte somewhere.

I may have given the wrong impression. I've got it hooked up to one of my monitors in my room so I don't disturb the other people living with me right now, so no sound since I forgot to grab the office 360 headset. He definitely says it in the text box though.

Dahbomb

Hopefully tomorrow we can focus on other characters to test. I still want to know if Akuma has that flip command throw or not as well as changes to Dark Phoenix.

Lampost being able to cancel into Runner stance is definitely very good news. It means the move is going to have some USE! And I am pretty sure that move was confirmed to have some hits of super armor.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SolarPowered said:
Ammy has far worse normals, worse damage and they still did something to nerf the option select.

Ammy has worse normals? Are we playing the same game? Taskmaster's normals are stupid good, I agree, but Ammy's are some of the best in the game.

SolarKnight said:
Maybe it's like Vega's mask? More damage less defense?

Yeah, that's what we thought, but it was confirmed (at least in the build being tested) that Wesker's health doesn't change whether he has glasses off or on.

GuardianE said:
Ammy has worse normals? Are we playing the same game? Taskmaster's normals are stupid good, I agree, but Ammy's are some of the best in the game.
Gotta go to glaive stance to use them and her reflector won't get as much play while approaching as long as the airdash nerf stays(which I got over). I think the only thing that stays the same in glaive is her insanely fast short reach jab.

Fake edit: I've been playing around quite a bit with qcf.attack cancels after df.H in reflector stance and it is pretty fun. I'm mostly a glaive stance user so the reflector nerf just means I've got to play more footsies.

I'm all for that.
Dahbomb said:
Hopefully tomorrow we can focus on other characters to test. I still want to know if Akuma has that flip command throw or not as well as changes to Dark Phoenix.
I'm thinking of character health readings right quick. I may go back to get that stuff for the characters he has tested and I'll probably make a nice list out of it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SolarPowered said:
Gotta go to glaive stance to use them and her reflector won't get as much play while approaching as long as the airdash nerf stays(which I got over). I think the only thing that stays the same in glaive is her insanely fast short reach jab.

Fake edit: I've been playing around quite a bit with qcf.attack cancels after df.H in reflector stance and it is pretty fun. I'm mostly a glaive stance user so the reflector nerf just means I've got to play more footsies.

I'm all for that.

Doesn't she still have instant-overhead into full combo off of anyone in reflector stance? And tied for fastest low L in the game? And is down+M still crazy + on block?

She definitely has to work more to get the full effect on the smorgasboard of her normals, but they're still ace.

Put Wesker second, DHC him in with Phantom Dance = no sunglasses the whole round?

scytheavatar said:
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/295888616

Part 3, 1:04:55. He thinks She Hulk is done. And you can be sure if he feels that about her there won't be a lot of people that'll still want to keep her in their team. She's high tier in MvC3 but they have nerfed her so badly that she's in danger of being low tier or worse.
Combofiend also didn't seem to know about the She-Hulk airdash when he was talking about dropping her. Which they took out anyway, I guess? Or is it back?

Dahbomb

I just wanna know Dark Phoenix options and buffs in X Factor LVL3. Although that might be hard to check since DP kills heroes in like 4 hits. I have heard she is slower in XFLVL3.

Just heard the bit with combofiend. It'd awesome if we heard more from these guys about the changes...
GuardianE said:
Doesn't she still have instant-overhead into full combo off of anyone in reflector stance? And tied for fastest low L in the game? And is down+M still crazy + on block?

She definitely has to work more to get the full effect on the smorgasboard of her normals, but they're still ace.
I already mentioned her jab, but none of those tools really help to get in. They help her combo and stay in. It is not like her s.M has durability points or super armor.
Dahbomb said:
I just wanna know Dark Phoenix options and buffs in X Factor LVL3. Although that might be hard to check since DP kills heroes in like 4 hits. I have heard she is slower in XFLVL3.
Didn't they leave DP relatively untouched?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SolarPowered said:
I already mentioned her jab, but none of those tools really help to get in. They help her combo and stay in. It is not like her s.M has durability points or super armor.

Yes, I agree those don't let her get in, but she has a ground dash that people can start utilizing now. Most characters need an assist to cover their approach anyway. Taskmaster isn't really an exception to this, even if his Shield Charge is stupid. Honestly, I think that Ammy and Zero users have been spoiled a little by being able to block while airdashing. Why can't Morrigan block while airdashing?

Anyway, I was just arguing that Ammy's normals are indisputably very very strong. Which they are.

Bizazedo

Is it sad that, despite all the cool changes / new characters, I am still terrified that we've had no definite proof the online works better?

Granted I guess they wouldn't have a way to prove it, but it'd be nice to hear something solid beyond marketing buzzwords.

I hope it is as I enjoy this game a helluva lot more than

At least we'll be able to spectate.

GuardianE said:
Yes, I agree those don't let her get in, but she has a ground dash that people can start utilizing now. Most characters need an assist to cover their approach anyway. Taskmaster isn't really an exception to this, even if his Shield Charge is stupid. Honestly, I think that Ammy and Zero users have been spoiled a little by being able to block while airdashing.

Anyway, I was just arguing that Ammy's normals are indisputably very very strong. Which they are.

Depends on your definition of strong. Ammy's reflector normals are fast, move her forward and are great for punishing things, but they do little damage and without her safe air dash it becomes rather difficult to justify using her when you can use Zero or Strider who both have more damaging combos (at least Strider looks like someone who has more combo-extending tools than Ammy) and more tricks up their sleeves compared to the rather predictable Ammy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Bizazedo said:
Is it sad that, despite all the cool changes / new characters, I am still terrified that we've had no definite proof the online works better?

Granted I guess they wouldn't have a way to prove it, but it'd be nice to hear something solid beyond marketing buzzwords.

I hope it is as I enjoy this game a helluva lot more than

At least we'll be able to spectate.

I think it will be same as mvc3.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
GuardianE said:
Yes, I agree those don't let her get in, but she has a ground dash that people can start utilizing now. Most characters need an assist to cover their approach anyway. Taskmaster isn't really an exception to this, even if his Shield Charge is stupid. Honestly, I think that Ammy and Zero users have been spoiled a little by being able to block while airdashing. Why can't Morrigan block while airdashing?

I cant believe after 8 months of this game, this point has to be stated...

Karsticles said:
Keep in mind that Justin Wong also said that Sentinel was "all you need to know to win" in MvC3 when it was released, and said the game was super easy and he planned on going back to MvC2. Wong also famously stated that Adon was a terrible character, and then Gamerbee beat him with Adon at (IIRC) Evo.

Justin is clearly one of the best fighting game players in the world. However, that doesn't mean he's somehow able to discern tier lists from an evening of casual matches.
But damn did he make a good early pick with day 1 (2?) Wolverine/Akuma. Which IIRC he picked as an anti-Sentinel team.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Full Marvel popularity list should be posted later today. At any rate the three characters missing up till now are Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor.

Dahbomb

I can understand Spider Man at #1 but how did Captain America and Thor beat out Wolverine? I guess the movies helped raise popularity on these characters.

Didn't they leave DP relatively untouched?
Not enough experimentation on DP to get anything concrete. We know she has the same nerfs as regular Phoenix and I find it hard to believe that DP didn't get changed at all. It's sort of hard to check Dark Phoenix stuff in location tests with the low health that drains plus the fact that she kills so fast and stuff.

Depends on your definition of strong. Ammy's reflector normals are fast, move her forward and are great for punishing things, but they do little damage and without her safe air dash it becomes rather difficult to justify using her when you can use Zero or Strider who both have more damaging combos (at least Strider looks like someone who has more combo-extending tools than Ammy) and more tricks up their sleeves compared to the rather predictable Ammy.
Amaterasu has tools that those characters don't have with normals that can extend full screen so yes she does have many tricks up her sleeve. Finally people will have a reason to explore the character outside of reflector stance. Amaterasu is so NOT a brain dead character but some how she was being played with as much brain as Wolverine in vanilla. Of course there were players who expanded on her by using her counters, other stances, weapon switch combos and other technology.

No, you cannot cancel halfway through a Bon Voyage, but it's an easy OTG off the end of it so you can go from there.
OTG? Does Bon Voyage cause a hard knockdown? I figured it would cause a soft knockdown, otherwise Firebrand players could string several Bon Voyages together per combo. To be clear, Bon Voyage causes a wall bounce when you use it the first time, but on subsequent uses within a single combo, what happens?

IMO, Ammy and Taskmaster are close to even on normals. Ammy's can be seen as better due to her mobility options, though.

I'd love proof...but the best we can do is realize that since Spectator is being incorporated, the netcode was likely improved in some fashion.

I think it will be same as mvc3.
It has been confirmed not to be. SFxT and UMvC3 are running on a new kind of netcode.

But damn did he make a good early pick with day 1 (2?) Wolverine/Akuma. Which IIRC he picked as an anti-Sentinel team.
As I understand it, JWong actually found out about the combination from a Japanese player.

I can understand Spider Man at #1 but how did Captain America and Thor beat out Wolverine? I guess the movies helped raise popularity on these characters.
People like whatever marketing tells them to like.

koryuken

SolarPowered said:

I'm sorry what? Her rufrufrufrufruf normal chain is godlike. Here airdash into crossover jump H can be very ambiguous and is an option select throw -- giving her some mixups.

Everyone continues to talk about Ammy as if she still has that airdash in UMvC3 lolz.

I can deal with the nerfs, but lets try to avoid acting like she was ever overpowered. She didn't get nearly enough use to justify that stance. Definitely one one of the strongest high tiers though(C.Viper, Spencer and Zero are up there as well).
Nils said:
Full Marvel popularity list should be posted later today. At any rate the three characters missing up till now are Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor.
Thor should be #1. Probably one of my favorite characters from a glance and maybe it'd give them a reason to give him his hammer toss in the inevitable pringles edition.

GuardianE said:

I'm not sure about how quickly she can block out of dash, but she is my go to character against characters like Sent and Haggar for a reason. I have no problem blocking on a dime with her airdash at all.
Dahbomb said:
Amaterasu has tools that those characters don't have with normals that can extend full screen so yes she does have many tricks up her sleeve. Finally people will have a reason to explore the character outside of reflector stance. Amaterasu is so NOT a brain dead character but some how she was being played with as much brain as Wolverine in vanilla. Of course there were players who expanded on her by using her counters, other stances, weapon switch combos and other technology.
The only character with full screen normals is Ghost Rider. Sent can still destroy careless glaive approaches with s.S and you can't cancel j.H with a hyper(just a special) against Weskers and Tasky users who know when to time their counter hypers. Also, Ammy was not being played that braindead at all. I rarely run into Ammy users online and when I do they usually use counters, and a nice paper keepaway to complement her easier reflector stuff.

That is a far cry from Phoenix anti air cr.l, fireball spam and Wolvie's berserker barrage and safe dive kick spam(which can be defeated by blowing your XF early and that is quite the cost for a single character). No character in this game was played as braindead as Phoenix and Wolvie, not even Wesker.
Dahbomb said:
Not enough experimentation on DP to get anything concrete. We know she has the same nerfs as regular Phoenix and I find it hard to believe that DP didn't get changed at all. It's sort of hard to check Dark Phoenix stuff in location tests with the low health that drains plus the fact that she kills so fast and stuff.
Welp... I think testing Phoenix may take priority over the character health checks. We've got to see how many air actions she still has and how good her teleport still is.

I don't see them changing anything else about her too drastically.

TDLink

So here's a longshot question but may as well ask...are you playing on a system with the Jill and Shuma DLC downloaded? If so, do they appear on the character select? If they do, what can you see that is different about them?

Dahbomb

That is a far cry from Phoenix anti air cr.l, fireball spam and Wolvie's berserker barrage and safe dive kick spam(which can be defeated by blowing your XF early and that is quite the cost for a single character). No character in this game was played as braindead as Phoenix and Wolvie, not even Wesker.
Almost all of that has been toned down in UMVC3 because that stuff was abusive. Make no mistake about it, Ammy's air dash into j.H air throw OS into f+HHHHHH into air combo air hyper is some abusable stuff. Add in an imperceptible instant overhead and you have a day 1 Top/High tier character. For the longest of time Ammy was in top 5 until people figured out higher damaging combos with the new 5. Now of course Wolverine and Phoenix top the chart but it's not like any one lower doesn't have stuff that can be abused.

And Wesker is pretty brain dead too, I should know. Most people who don't play Wesker think that the other guy is doing some smart mix ups with Wesker when all they are doing is ABC f+H, mash H, j.S ABCS BBCS low gun shot whatever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Wesker glasses thing is really, REALLY odd. I thought we were told explicitly that the glasses gave a buff? I really am puzzled at the test results.

Dahbomb

The Wesker glasses thing is really, REALLY odd. I thought we were told explicitly that the glasses gave a buff? I really am puzzled at the test results.
What I found odd was that people thought that Wesker putting on his glasses would be a buff.... he already has them on when he starts the game.

Basically what it looks like is that they originally added the whole Wesker takes off glasses as a little visual thing but now they have made it into a game play mechanic. I assumed it was like Vega in SF4 where when his mask comes off he does higher damage but takes more damage as well. I am assuming it's something similar here as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dahbomb said:
What I found odd was that people thought that Wesker putting on his glasses would be a buff.... he already has them on when he starts the game.

Basically what it looks like is that they originally added the whole Wesker takes off glasses as a little visual thing but now they have made it into a game play mechanic. I assumed it was like Vega in SF4 where when his mask comes off he does higher damage but takes more damage as well. I am assuming it's something similar here as well.
Well the original word was that only when he puts them back on is a status effect is added, implying that the taunt would have status effects not initially present. The glasses being present at the start was not mentioned as anything significant, and the rumour/info/idontevenremembertheorigin was treated as such.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SolarPowered said:
I'm not sure about how quickly she can block out of dash, but she is my go to character against characters like Sent and Haggar for a reason. I have no problem blocking on a dime with her airdash at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Morrigan needs to stop airdashing so that she goes into falling animation and then block accordingly. It's faster than I made it sound here, but she can't go directly into block from dash, and she can be severely punished by many Hypers on reaction.

Hulk's colors? Really?

*yawns*
Dahbomb said:
Almost all of that has been toned down in UMVC3 because that stuff was abusive.
I've been talking about her options in UMvC3 this whole time and people keep talking about her MvC3 version.

The fact of the matter is that her normals are not as good in UMvC3 because her airdash is gone. She is not dead yet, but that is all I've been trying to say from the start.
GuardianE said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Morrigan needs to stop airdashing so that she goes into falling animation and then block accordingly. It's faster than I made it sound here, but she can't go directly into block from dash, and she can be severely punished by many Hypers on reaction.
All I know is that she is a great defensive character for me. I can easily bait Akuma's beam hypers even while dashing when I use her. It's a far cry from Ammy in UMvC3.

I think you might be confusing her backwards air dash for the forward one. I think the backwards one leaves you vulnerable for a whopping 27 frames(something like that). Her forward air dash recovers way more quickly.

Hulk said:
ONE TIME HULK HAVE POWERS OF CAPTAIN UNIVERSE AND POWERS OF CAPTAIN UNIVERSE MAKE HULK TURN BLUE. AND WHEN HULK SAY BLUE, HULK NOT MEAN SAD, HULK MEAN COLOR BLUE. HULK KNOWS HOMONYMS SOMETIMES CONFUSING. HULK HAPPY TO CLARIFY.
I enjoy the writings of Mr. Hulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom