• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Spiderman DS screens

Sapiens

Just a note. You can be a DS fan and still say this game looks like shit. And will be shit.

It's an activision game made for children. Get over it.

Looks like a retread of Spiderman 2. We all know that.

As a DS fan, I am disspointed by what Activison is doing here. I came to this thread to react to the shots. I'm not hating. I just truly think it looks bad.

Andy787

Banned
Bluemercury said:
you just keep entering the DS threads and its always the same thing....trolling trolling and trolling......i guess then pple have been wrong with the GBA too right??just shut up...
mightynine said:
So using that logic, my GBA ought to be pumping out PS2 graphics?

My mind boggles.
I'm not trolling. I'm giving my opinion, which I explained and supported. Maybe you don't understand my point --actually I'm quite sure of that, because you're assuming I disliked the GBA as well, or that my "logic" means that the GBA is incapable of producing something that looks good. Which is not the case. At all. The GBA was tied with the PS2 as my favorite system of this generation until recently, and I own nearly 50 GBA games and have owned a few dozen more. You're not getting my point. Both the GBA and the DS can produce games that look beautiful. In the GBA's case, it was a bastion of 2d goodness, which is why I loved it so much. Technological prowess is only the capability that developers have to work with, it has nothing to do with whether the end product looks good or not.

For instance, the GT Advance games, Top Gear Rally, V-Rally 3, and Driver 3 are all technically impressive for the GBA, and in the case of the former three, they even have very good gameplay, but that doesn't mean they look good. They look like shit. Just like most 3d games on the DS look like shit, imo, and just like I could name many 3d PSP games that look like shit, and even Xbox 360 games that look like shit. At the same time, I could name a dozen DS games I think look very good, as I could with each of those other systems. Which is my point. That a game either looks good or it doesn't. Taste is obviously subjective, which is why this is all my opinion, but if you have to say that something "looks good for [insert system]", who are you really fooling?

iced lightning said:
Graphics really aren't that big of a deal.
koam said:
Because we play graphics?
Yeah. I was just playing a blank screen the other day. Great gameplay, could use some graphics, though.

Sapienshomo said:
Just a note. You can be a DS fan and still say this game looks like shit. And will be shit.

As a DS fan, I am disspointed by what Activison is doing here. I came to this thread to react to the shots. I'm not hating. I just truly think it looks bad.

I think this is a really good point. I think a lot of people feel that the DS has great potential (see Kirby, etc). but that most developers seem to ignore those features to rehash games that would work the same on GBA. It not a reflection of the hardware, but the developers for lack of imagination/effort/budget.

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Andy787 said:
Yeah. I was just playing a blank screen the other day. Great gameplay, could use some graphics, though.
Hehe. I did that joke already.. not sure it'll work out this time either. Good luck though. Heh.

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
GitarooMan said:
I think this is a really good point. I think a lot of people feel that the DS has great potential (see Kirby, etc). but that most developers seem to ignore those features to rehash games that would work the same on GBA. It not a reflection of the hardware, but the developers for lack of imagination/effort/budget.
In my opinion, a good point would be something like; The DS library needs both games that completely rely on the DS' unique features as well as regular type games that could be done on any other platform but could still use the touch-screen or the two screens if done in a non-obtrusive way. Making regular genre type genre games work with the touchscreen is also something that would be great, if done right. It can be done, don't say it can't because of the games that are out so far, those are mostly examples of bad/hurried rush for launch-cash jobs.

Would I say the balance between the two ways to do DS games are right at the moment? No. Would I say that the balance between good and bad games on any platform is/was ever right? Haha.

First, my off topic question. Does anyone know if there are currently any plans for an F-Zero game on the DS? I would hope one is in development with online play. I also hope it is released sometime next year.

Second, Spider-Man doesn't look too bad, but what, if any, improvements to the gameplay does it have over the first DS Spider-Man game?

Varian

Drinky Crow said:
Isn't that exactly what the DS is -- a marginally improved GBA with slightly better graphics and some gimmicky touch screen uses? I haven't seen a single DS game that disproves that.
What's wrong with that? At the bare minimum the DS can offer improved GBA-style gameplay on one screen in addition to wonderful comic-panel art on the other. You may think it looks like absolute trash in Ultimate Spiderman (I disagree), but it will be utilized very nicely in Jump Superstars. I may buy both just to support this great new direction.

Varian

ProgramFighter said:
First, my off topic question. Does anyone know if there are currently any plans for an F-Zero game on the DS? I would hope one is in development with online play. I also hope it is released sometime next year.
MMOF-Zero?

I'm still waiting for the GBA localization of F-zero Climax (Jap only right now). It plays closer to GX and has a track editor (!)

terrene

Banned
Error2k4 said:
yeah Andy's trolling is getting old, at least Drinky's trolling is entertaining.
Why do people think that disliking something = trolling? Everyone gets so touchy these days, it's like the political climate.

"Don't you DARE criticize a DS game, you TROLLER!" = "Dan Rather says Bush didn't finish his service, the communist bastard!"

StRaNgE

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Isn't that exactly what the DS is -- a marginally improved GBA with slightly better graphics and some gimmicky touch screen uses? I haven't seen a single DS game that disproves that.

GBA = Super Nintendo
GBA DS = Nintendo 64

or something like that.

Dalamar86

Sapienshomo said:

What he said.

I've bought every "big" DS release to date. I'm not hateing on the DS at all.

Not every single release is going to wow everyone. I think it looks rehashed and bland as hell. There is nothing impressive about it, I know the DS can handle more then those one or two models on screen at once. Maybe those screens just dont do it justice, who knows.

Top Bottom