• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the new kid I have to admit that consoles have there strengths.

Topher

Gold Member
mvsimYn.png

OverHeat OverHeat you gave birth to a PS5?

8q2ozg.gif

kiphalfton

Referring to your newborn child as "the new kid" or "the new baby". 😬

Have some pride in your child and claim them.

Last edited:

MikeM

Yeah man. All the console hate here is mostly theater. Parents know the value of having a console.

Mine is being moved to the main floor living room above the fireplace. PC is staying in the man cave.

StereoVsn

Yeah, I usually play together with kids on the consoles or they will play themselves there.

They have MacBooks, but they are for Minecraft or a a few learning online games they are allowed to hit. Well, and schoolwork. 😉

SHA

Since I was kid I withhold my PC cause I didn't liked the Atari, SEGA and NES, it was Sony Playstation the first console that I've acknowledged and it was a big deal.

Hohenheim

Playing my PS5 is the only way to get some playtime with the new baby. I’m currently playing Spiderman 2 great game. Sitting in front of the PC is impossible with his sneaky hands lol
What about a steam deck or another PC handheld? Then you can play when you get a break away from the kid/family, and also dock it to the TV to get the "console experience". These handhelds have mostly replaced consoles for me. The PS5 is mostly a tv-series streaming box until Death Stranding 2 or another console exclusive "must-play day 1" gets released there.

Also, congrats with the kid!

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Playing my PS5 is the only way to get some playtime with the new baby. I’m currently playing Spiderman 2 great game. Sitting in front of the PC is impossible with his sneaky hands lol
Congrats on the baby. And that's life for most people. Plug some earbuds into the controller and the baby won't know you're dishing out extrajudicial vigilante justice to innocent civilians(and some immigrants).

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
When my boys were baby and toddler age they’d always be watching some kid shit on Nick Jr. so the PSP was a godsend. Crisis Core, Jeanne d’Arc, LBP Racers, MLB The Show, Daxter. Good memories.

MrA

My son decided to put 5 games into the slot of my PS3, quite impressive really, drive didn't work again and had to go digital with it though (luckily PS4 release was only 6 months away).
were none of the discs for the ps3 and you didn't later donate it to a thrift shop did you? As I bought a ps3 with 5 discs crammed into he disc drive years ago

midnightAI

were none of the discs for the ps3 and you didn't later donate it to a thrift shop did you? As I bought a ps3 with 5 discs crammed into he disc drive years ago
Heh, nah, we took them out and donated the PS3 to a friend when we got the PS4 as they wanted it just for COD and was happy to buy it digitally.

It's not the consoles have gotten strong, it's that the kid has made you weak. Do the right thing and trade that baby in for a 4090.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who owns a Solid PC (3080, 5900x) and every games console... I like my games consoles. There's just some games I like to put my feet up in my living room and play.

The issue with mouse + keyboard is I always feel like I'm working when I use them. Great for long play sessions of Baldurs Gate, but I enjoyed spending 60+ hours on stella blade last week for example with my feet up.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consoles are favorable to children and have children audiences, computers have too many responsibilities even for adults, and certainly computer first.

BlackTron

My son decided to put 5 games into the slot of my PS3, quite impressive really, drive didn't work again and had to go digital with it though (luckily PS4 release was only 6 months away).

My niece is notorious for inserting Switch cards backwards. Not just trying, but actually getting it all the way in there. Reminds me of the kind of dumbass stuff we would do when we were kids like put Sega carts into a Nintendo slot, knowing it won't work but...you have to try once anyway.

midnightAI

My niece is notorious for inserting Switch cards backwards. Not just trying, but actually getting it all the way in there. Reminds me of the kind of dumbass stuff we would do when we were kids like put Sega carts into a Nintendo slot, knowing it won't work but...you have to try once anyway.
Oh god yeh, or accidentally putting a VHS tape into a top loader and slamming it shut

Majormaxxx

I had to replace the sticks on my daughter's joycons because she dug into them so hard.

Thankfully I'm into retro modding so I had all of the tools I needed already.
I wonder why kids are so aggressive with their toys...

The same was true for me btw - plenty of teeth imprints on my childhood lego bricks... What was i thinking...

I still can't imagine having children, I can't even look after myself. OP what age were you when you had your first child?
Hey man, don't stress out. My brother is at his late 30s with no kids. I'm entering my 30s soon and I am in no hurry. I do have a better head and shoulders above my brother but I'm just not feeling it. I do have almost everything planned if I get a kid though. For now I got a new dog (golden retriever) and she is just like a big baby. It is like training wheels before kids.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I played skyrim for almost a 100 hours with my newborn in his little baby chair thingy. Jesus i already forgot what its called. The first two to three weeks they mostly sleep in between feeds and shits.

It's the month 1-3 period where they finally start staying up where gaming becomes tricky. And at that point, you can forget about playing video games while they are up. So good luck. its not going to last.

Kuranghi

Hey man, don't stress out. My brother is at his late 30s with no kids. I'm entering my 30s soon and I am in no hurry. I do have a better head and shoulders above my brother but I'm just not feeling it. I do have almost everything planned if I get a kid though. For now I got a new dog (golden retriever) and she is just like a big baby. It is like training wheels before kids.

Thanks for the reply, I've thought about pets but I'm in a city centre in a flat, doesn't seem fair to them to not be able to run around in the fields like my English Springer Spaniels used to when I was growing up in the countryside.

People have suggested pets as companions for me but our dogs lived outside in a kennel, so indoor dogs isn't something I'm used to and I don't know if I'd like it. I need a really slow dog that just sits at my feet and sleeps if it's indoor I think.

Top Bottom