• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Bomba: Major Australian Retailers Dropping Vita

In the current economic climate, I'd say anything above a $100-150 mark up on the US price is just highway robbery.

US prices don't generally include tax so add 10% for gst + a minimal localisation costs and that should be it. Anything over that is just gouging, when you can import and save over 25% of the cost it's just not worth buying locally.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do people buy games from these places? I've never bought a game from any non-gaming specific retail store except Harvey Norman and JB Hifi.

As mentioned, Big W is great for new releases. Target and K-Mart have their moments, too, albeit rarely.

US prices don't generally include tax so add 10% for gst + a minimal localisation costs and that should be it. Anything over that is just gouging, when you can import and save over 25% of the cost it's just not worth buying locally.

Yeah, I know, I was just pointing out where I stand.

Well, the Wifi bundle is $349.

I noticed this, too. Surprisingly acceptable.

Verelios

God damn...peddle SONY PEDDLE!!!!

I really want things to work out for them, but the way it's going now? Not good. Australia isn't carrying their weight.

WHAT'S GOOD AUSTRALIANS!?

VITA IS DEAD CONFIRMED, ONE STORE IN AUSSIELAND NOT STOCKING IT.

Reading is FUNdamental, usually gets in the way of retarded posting though.
The story first broke that Big W would not be stocking Sony's new system at launch, hoping to eventually try and stock the handheld, but news soon emerged that neither Target nor Kmart would be carrying the Vita.

VITA IS DEAD CONFIRMED, ONE STORE IN AUSSIELAND NOT STOCKING IT.

Not one, three. Three of the largest chains in the country.

While I realise our region is generally minor and ultimately irrelevant in the grand picture, this is still massive news locally. I never implied that it meant anything for the health of the system worldwide.

Oh, and get your match finished Box-o-bunnies! :p

Haha, sorry, I'll get on that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For games, yeah Big W is pretty good. Hardware? Not sure. Target and K-Mart are rip-offs.

Retailers don't have much room to budge on hardware itself. That's why you often see retailer-specific bundles with a bunch of crappy old games thrown in.

Don't you Aussies just import everything anyways?
I've heard some horror stories regarding initial retail markup.

Heck, don't 3DSs still cost in the 250AUD range?

Realistically, how big of a hit is it to the PSP if you could AUS out of the equation entirely? Serious question here, as I'm ignorant to a lot of things when it comes to international sales and whatnot.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Kinda weird news, but Target in particular are generally pretty overpriced for gaming stuff. You can find better launch deals with JB Hifi. And EBgames
When you get them to price match JB

BowieZ

Banned
It's a huge deal if there's a nonexistent ad campaign, although I can imagine them pushing some ads saying "EXCLUSIVE to GAME, JB-Hifi and EB Games!" or something lol

Do people buy games from these places? I've never bought a game from any non-gaming specific retail store except Harvey Norman and JB Hifi.

Uninformed people aka "dirty casuals" buy insane amount of games at major chains. In France I saw parents frequently buying 2-3 DS games in Carrefour, each with a price tag of 50EUR. No loyalty rewards, no buy 1 get 1 50% off, etc. promotions.

Uninformed people aka "dirty casuals" buy insane amount of games at major chains. In France I saw parents frequently buying 2-3 DS games in Carrefour, each with a price tag of 50EUR. No loyalty rewards, no buy 1 get 1 50% off, etc. promotions.

It might be different in France but casuals get their Wii Fit or whatever at EB Games more often than not.

Luigiv

I buy games from them from time to time. More importantly though, I've bought nearly all my game consoles from department stores.

Blunt

Banned
So if Big W, Target and K-Mart aren't stocking PSVita consoles or games, that means Australian's can look forward to full recommended retail price at EB Games and JB HiFi's very generous $2 off RRP.

Fantastic.

ugoo18

epiciwata.jpg

Duxxy3

VOOK already did. They think it's too expensive. Margins on hardware are shit anyway.

Could be they're expecting a repeat of ds and psp.

If retailers outside of japan knew what would happen with the psp, would they have supported it from the start?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So if Big W, Target and K-Mart aren't stocking PSVita consoles or games, that means Australian's can look forward to full recommended retail price at EB Games and JB HiFi's very generous $2 off RRP.

Fantastic.
I still think JB will remain competitive on some of the game pricing down the line. That said, I imported mine for less than the Australian RRP (including 2 day shipping) and am using a US account for games as the prices here on the hardware and software are hilariously awful. Sony is sending it out to die in Australia.

Luigiv

You're probably in the very small minority though.

Not really. I go wherever the discounts blow. Most of the time that happens to be the department stores around launch (like maybe $10 but I'll take what I can get).

I would imagine discount department stores actually account for quite a big portion of videogame sales. They're just more numerous and seemingly more convenient to the less price astute masses.

VOOK already did. They think it's too expensive. Margins on hardware are shit anyway.

Ironically enough, had no trouble stocking the 3DS at the same price 11 months ago. Guess Nintendo had a better standing with them.

Top Bottom