• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - Reviews

Spman2099

You can get Mark of the Wolves for 8$ this thing is overpriced

Ooof...

That comparison is too raw, man. This game deserves to fail. At twenty bucks? Sure. However, they didn't even clean up the graphics (which I always thought looked cheap) and they are charging way too close to the full price of an actual new release.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So after 23 years, SF II isn't good anymore?

It's hard to know because most of the previews and reviews don't actually go into the gameplay changes and how it plays both compared to other versions of SF and the general fighting landscape other than really brief surface level overviews.

Shadoken

It's hard to know because most of the previews and reviews don't actually go into the gameplay changes and how it plays both compared to other versions of SF and the general fighting landscape other than really brief surface level overviews.

I rarely see reviewers ever talk about the actual gameplay in fighting games. Usually its just about content and modes. And as long the fighting "feels" good thats enough.

Fighting game reviews are so weird. I dont remember 3S getting any great reviews when it launched, but the remaster is suddenly got really good scores. Heck i remember some PS2 MK games getting better reviews than 3S.

SFIII on the switch? Nah. Thats a game that most targeted more towards the hardcore SF fanbase. It is best suited for the PS4,Xbox crowd where most of the FGC is. Even if USF2 was $60 it would sell more than SF3.

If you give SFIII the proper HD Remix treatment that shit would sell and market it like it's the next big SF game that would sell.

I don't mind, but all the reviews seem to be putting more effort into talking about the price and less into how the gameplay turned out in terms of balance changes, speed, and overall feel.

I too think it's over priced, but as I said in the preview thread it would be nice for someone to actually give me a review on the gameplay and the changes even if it's minor.

You're expecting average game reviewers to give you in-depth impressions on SF2 balance changes prior to release? Which most are probably casual fighting game players at best if at all? Just wait and see what people are saying post release. Even if the changes are actually good $40 is never worth it imo.

L Thammy

I don't mind, but all the reviews seem to be putting more effort into talking about the price and less into how the gameplay turned out in terms of balance changes, speed, and overall feel.

I too think it's over priced, but as I said in the preview thread it would be nice for someone to actually give me a review on the gameplay and the changes even if it's minor.

That's my problem. I'm pretty sure everyone in these threads have made a decision on the price and new modes already. The main thing that the reviews are confirming for people who have been following is that Way of the Hadou sucks and that the game continues to be Street Fighter 2. I don't mean that as a criticism of the reviews - the reviewers work with who they have and who they expect to be reading - but of the information surrounding this game in total, including what Capcom has been telling us.

We saw tick throws, which seem like a major change to make to a 25 year old game, some details that Justin Wong mentioned, and then nothing.

To be fair he did say "early". Maybe they got it really early. Capcom wanted it for some other franchise and just decided to use SF2 as a bargaining chip.
I guess Ubisoft and Activision stole theirs because fucking Just Dance and Skylanders were there unaltered at launch.

Shadoken

If you give SFIII the proper HD Remix treatment that shit would sell and market it like it's the next big SF game that would sell.

But I mean if you did it to SF2 or even Alpha it would sell more. The brand recognition and nostalgia for "SF2" is leagues ahead of any other Street Fighter.

Also redoing SF3 sprites would cost more than SFV. That shit was on another level.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You're expecting average game reviewers to give you in-depth impressions on SF2 balance changes prior to release? Which most are probably casual fighting game players at best if at all? Just wait and see what people are saying post release. Even if the changes are actually good $40 is never worth it imo.

I don't need super high level stuff, but they aren't giving us anything at all.

Yukinari

I said in the comments of the gamexplain impression video from a while back that this is basically sent out to die against Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and Arms.

With so many amazing fighting games coming out youre gonna seriously spend 40 on this? I guess if you only have a Switch and cant wait for a price drop?

L Thammy

Ooof...

That comparison is too raw, man. This game deserves to fail. At twenty bucks? Sure. However, they didn't even clean up the graphics (which I always thought looked cheap) and they are charging way too close to the full price of an actual new release.

The graphics were messed up when they made them; some of the people they had doing the sprites had no experience with animation and keeping art consistent in that way. Honestly, Capcom should have focused on marketing the original graphics and treated the HD art as an extra. It would have differentiated the product more from HD Remix in people's minds, for one, and the original graphics hold up better over time.

Shadoken

I guess Ubisoft and Activision stole theirs because fucking Just Dance and Skylanders were there unaltered at launch.

Umm maybe they have other unannounced games in development that they showed to Nintendo?

Edit : Btw am not agreeing with him , coz of all devs i doubt they would not give Capcom one. But there could be more to his statement than just that.

Guess all those indie devs that have had their games on PC and PS4 beforehand just stole theirs.
Not one indie game released an old game on the Switch as their only game. For example, Binding of Isaac released Afterbirth+ which was brand new, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove was a new package and they even released Specter of Torment on Switch before any other console.

Here's a quote from a developer:
Prismatic Games said:
Nintendo is being specific about Switch releases: No ports within the first ~6 months/launch window. This is somewhat of a plus for us because Hex Heroes cannot directly be ported to the Switch anyway; it will require some design changes.

Here's a quote from Nintendo's Head of Partner Management:
Damon Baker said:
Right now we are being very selective about who we’re letting into the development environment, and through our portal...We want to honor our fans by making sure we’ve got original content, that we’re forward-looking rather than backwards. That’s not to say that there aren’t ports or other great content that have come out in the past couple or few years that wouldn’t work perfect on Switch. It’s just not a priority for right now.

Oregano

To be fair he did say "early". Maybe they got it really early. Capcom wanted it for some other franchise and just decided to use SF2 as a bargaining chip.

Capcom could/would be the first third party with a dev kit and they wouldn't have to do anything.

They couldn't. One of Nintendo's requirements for getting any early dev kit was that you release at least one new game on the console, that has never been on another console. This game is considered new, USF IV wouldn't have been. In fact that may be why they did Way of the Hado, Nintendo may have decided that the rest of the changes didn't make it new enough to be considered a new game.
Do you think Nintendo went to Capcom, the guys behind MH and other big 3DS franchises, and said "make something exclusive or you're not getting a dev kit"?
USFIV with the "way of the Hado" mode would've been as new as this which is basically just HD Remix with that.
Any quote from Damon is likely attributed to indies/smaller developers.

Oregano

Do you think Nintendo went to Capcom, the guys behind MH and other big 3DS franchises, and said "make something exclusive or you're not getting a dev kit"?
USFIV with the "way of the Hado" mode would've been as new as this which is basically just HD Remix with that.
Any quote from Damon is likely attributed to indies/smaller developers.

Seriously. Literally any other third party and that would be believable but Capcom probably got a dev kits before some internal teams with no questions asked.

Neff

If ST was starved for ports, then this would be worth it. However it's been on Saturn, PSone, 3DO, PS2, Dreamcast, GBA, PS3 and 360 at this point.

It's a truly great game, one of the best ever, but I feel like I'm ever so slightly being robbed paying £35 for a slightly re-jigged version of STHD with (presumably) better netcode and an artbook.

Honestly, Capcom should have focused on marketing the original graphics and treated the HD art as an extra.

I certainly agree on this. The new graphics never looked good.

Jawmuncher

As expected. I didn't think too many reviewers would be nice to that price point outside fighting diehards. Though even they seem to be turning on the game in a sense, due to the high price point and lack of options in playing the other versions of SF2.

Interested in the title like most here, but not until it hits $20 or less. The price that everyone agrees should've been the MSRP. Then again stuff like 1, 2, switch sold pretty well so I take it capcom wants a piece of the pie of launch buyers eager to grab anything atm. Regardless capcom is pretty good about sales and when the eshop (hopefully by the holiday) is more established. It should already be selling for the price many want.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I will still buy it. I am not just buying a game here. I am bribing Capcom to make more Switch games. That's all this is.

Just so you know, this does not work.

Capcom did the same test game nonsense back on the Wii. If you buy this, all you'll get is more products like this, and not the big awesome Capcom games you want.

ghibli99

This edition has never made much sense to me, but that could be the pricing of it, which is just kinda ridiculous on NS for a lot of games. I would have preferred a straight arcade VC download of SF2T or SSF2T instead. Hell, I might have paid $40 for an arcade collection like they've done in the past of not just SF2 games, but other arcade classics as well (with the requisite galleries, save states, etc.). Having all that on NS would be terrific.

Shadoken

Interested in the title like most here, but not until it hits $20 or less. The price that everyone agrees should've been the MSRP. Then again stuff like 1, 2, switch sold pretty well so I take it capcom wants a piece of the pie of launch buyers eager to grab anything atm. Regardless capcom is pretty good about sales and when the eshop (hopefully by the holiday) is more established. It should already be selling for the price many want.

Pretty much. They know that people right now are desperate for some titles. So people will pony up the $40 price. By the time the switch gets a big lineup of games , this game would probably be much cheaper and more attractive to those buyers.

NateDrake

The basics are this: If you enjoy SF2 and want to play it on Switch then you'll like this game. The only question you have to ask yourself is whether or not that is worth $40 to you. If yes, buy it. If not, wait.

I've enjoyed my time with the game and I'm just waiting for the online to go live because I know that is where I'll spend most of my time. Local multiplayer is fun. It's SF2.

openrob

When it doesn't sell well, the question is if they'll use it as an excuse to drop all Switch support. Hope not. This is/was the only Capcom switch game announced, right?

The thing is, I do expect this to sell quite well.

The audience that are buying buying the switch all those older returning gamers and games like Street Fighter 2 on the perfect fit for such people.

Alongside games such as bomberman, Mario Kart, etc, you can see the pattern.

Seik

Banned

Capcom did the same test game nonsense back on the Wii. If you buy this, all you'll get is more products like this, and not the big awesome Capcom games you want.

I don't get what you mean, didn't Capcom bring Monster Hunter Tri, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Zack and Wiki and RE4 on Wii?

Three of those are OG releases. (I think MH3 was Wii exclusive, right?)

Oregano

Just a reminder that Capcom ported MT Framework to Switch for Way of the Hado and yet stuff like the ports of Resident Evil Revelations and Dragon's Dogma are skipping the system.

Back then SF2 was a brand new game on a cart based platform where those prices were common.

Flash forward 25 years later. SF2's costs have been subsidized to the moon and back. Hence the more recent $5-$10 download versions. The $40 price tag is all on the new 1st wave Nintendo Switch game tax.

Just a reminder that Capcom ported MT Framework to Switch for Way of the Hado and yet stuff like the ports of Resident Evil Revelations and Dragon's Dogma are skipping the system.

This is what boggles my mind. You got that engine working on the system just for a shitty minigame? lol

L Thammy

I don't get what you mean, didn't Capcom bring Monster Hunter Tri, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Zack and Wiki and RE4 on Wii?

All of those are exclusive, unless you count the arcade release of the first version of Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. They also got an exclusive called Spyborgs that no one ever heard of, and Sengoku Basara 3 as a multiplat with PS3 (which everyone bought on PS3 anyway).

Yeah, i don't get Capcom sometimes. They just announced Dragon's Dogma Arisen for XBO and PS4, but switch support? nope. Perfect for on the go, too. And the hardware can do it...

I think HD Remix ran on MT Framework. Could be mistaken.
But, yeah. Pretty bizarre. They ported SF4's engine and a lot of its assets...but just for a bad mini game?
Stuff like Dragons' dogma would probably run super well on Switch too. Wish some journalist would ask them about it at e3 unless there's a ton of Capcom games announced there

No one is saying SF2 is bad. Just for what they are offering for 40 dollars, when HDR released at 15 bucks when it came out almost a decade ago, seems well not great really.

I think the right price would have been 20 probably. It didn't have to be 15 bucks again there is more stuff in this but, I just think 40 was a bit too high for this. It comes off as a "Hey you need more games for your new Swtich" tax.

Doctre81

I'm not sure why everyone is shocked we have known the price and what we were getting for months now. Capcom convinced Nintendo to go with more RAM. I'll throw them a bone...this time.

My takeaways from this matter:

1. Capcom could have released a new game for this system, but lol @ their budget.
2. Could have released this...
a. Downloadable
b. Adjust the price to a more reasonable amount.

Not even die hard Capcom fans can support this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I'm saying buying Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles gets you Umbrella Chronicles 2, not Resident Evil 5.

f@luS

More than a member.
I bought garou it's nice on handheld mode but totally disgusting on the tv. Butt ugly. Is there online ? I just plaid 10". Street does

I don't defend capcom. 40 is far too much mostly when injustice and TEkken are out the same time and have so much content.

Glad I paid 28.

Effect

This. This has all been done before and the result will be the same. Especially with a company like Capcom. I would argue Capcom pulled the same crap on the 3DS that it did on the Wii. Supplied traditional games on both and they sold well on both. RE4: Wii did extremely well. It was a double dipping by the same audience as well and instead of a proper follow up they pushed a rail shooter. Then when the second one didn't work out (people fell for the first one as a rail shooter) they walked. Knowing full well their other games not in that genre were a success on the system and they could make money. SSF4 and both Resident Evil games did well on the 3DS yet Revelations 2 was no where in sight without any reason as to why. No other follow up on Street Fighter either.

Capcom's decision making many times makes no damn sense nor is it based on previous success either. This game doing well will have no impact on other games coming or not coming to the system. Of that I'm 100% sure of. This is not the game to "show support" or prove third party games will sell.

Reviews are exactly what I expected. Knew what I was getting when I pre-ordered this but I can never get enough of SFII, and playing on the go on a decent size screen was too hard to pass up. That price though. Thanks to Amazon Prime I only paid $30. And even THAT feels almost too much.

Top Bottom