• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

I bought it ASAP so I was doomed from the start. I hope they fix it but seeing as how I've bought just about every other version of this game I think I probably would have still gotten this just for the sake of having it. But I really do hope they fix it if they can. If not then CPT needs to remain on 360.

Bob White

Its not as world ending as some people make it sound, but its definitely messy.

If you take sf4 seriously and compete, then it is world ending. You can't run a touney with random sticks bringing up random laggy inputs in a setting where money and time is on the line. You can't let these glitches and whatever the hell else this shit show is capable of even attempt to ruin things with the money that's at stake.

For the tourney scene, this is absolutely unplayable.

If you take sf4 seriously and compete, then it is world ending. You can't run a touney with random sticks bringing up random laggy inputs in a setting where money and time is on the line. You can't let these glitches and whatever the hell else this shit show is capable of even attempt to ruin things with the money that's at stake.

For the tourney scene, this is absolutely unplayable.

I wasn't speaking from the perspective of the tourney scene, but sure.

Of course this is unacceptable for the big tourney scene, most versions of the game are anyway, but this one especially.

vg260

I think the best description of the port would be brazenly incompetent.

This is a very non-demanding game technically, easily maxed out on old hardware, and the devs can't even get the UI to run full speed and have the nerve to release it that state as if no one would notice. and that's only for starters. On top of that Sony had the nerve to tout the reduced lag and champion this as the ultimate version on any platform version while Capcom mandates it to be the tournament standard.

It's really ludicrous. I haven't been this irked by a game release in quite some time (I even bought the PC version at launch), and I typically give developers the benefit of the doubt.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yeah, it's that and just...the type of game that Street Fighter 4 is.

If, I don't know, they ported Resident Evil 4 to PS4 and it was a bit botched, had visual glitches, and was basically on the level of this port, it would be an annoyance and would be worthy of complaining about, but it wouldn't nearly be as big of a deal because Street Fighter 4 is a huge competitive game. Input lag and other such issues mean way more here than it would in 99% of other games.

You can't get lazy about a port of the biggest fighting game out there.

Exactly.

To reframe it for those that don't get it. I want to port LOL to the PS4, but I'm going to overlook a few things that random heroes can do or whatever... Maybe shrink a lane or two. (Not by making it smaller, just changing the hitbox) Should be perfectly fine for a definitive competitive edition of the game that will be hosted by all eSports events... right?

Coda

I'm using all the bad talk of this port to climb the leaderboards as the top Guy player. Already number 6 baby! :)

VashTS

Just confirmed that using a PS3 stick adds a crazy amount of input lag. Now I can see why pad players aren't complaining anywhere near as much.

RE_Player

So really what is with this generation and all the technical problems? I thought moving to an x86 architecture was going to make things easier for devs? Is it possible the more complex archtitecture of the PS3 and 360 while harder to wrap your head around forced devs to actually take their time in the development process?

AmyS

It only took IGN, about a day to acknowledge the port is mishandled.

Street Fighter has made the jump to PlayStation 4 but things aren't going well.

[they go on to mention everything that has already been discovered]

IGN reached out to Capcom about the situation and has yet to receive a response. However, a Sony representative did respond to users on Twitter, stating “patch investigations are underway” and to expect an update “soon.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/28/ultra-street-fighter-iv-suffers-performance-issues-at-launch

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So really what is with this generation and all the technical problems? I thought moving to an x86 architecture was going to make things easier for devs? Is it possible the more complex archtitecture of the PS3 and 360 while harder to wrap your head around forced devs to actually take their time in the development process?

I have a very general impression that it's corner cutting. Since games can be patched after they're in the public's hands, and the public gets to play beta tester, it's more tempting to save money on internal testing and paying the full dev team to stay on one project. Especially because, as we have seen, mass numbers of mainstream customers don't care about technical quality and bugs to a certain point. Many can't even tell what framerate is - as long as the game doesn't freeze for 1-2 seconds repeatedly, it's "smooth and fine". (I have heard many people say they can't tell when Assassin's Creed games chug.)

Since the masses will rush out and buy millions of big games on day 1 regardless of how polished they are, I guess there's no incentive for most publishers to actually polish things very well before launch. If there's a problem so bad that the average player actually notices eventually, it can be patched.

But this mentality hurts games aimed at more niche audiences and enthusiasts, as we can see here. The very idea of farming out the port of a hardcore fighting game designed for tournaments to a nobody studio with a bad track record should be ludicrous. Yet here we are.

Don't forget the Sony rep who said they're investigating "patch issues" on twitter was the same guy who weeks before typed up an empty PR blurb about this very game. He said it was so awesome, the best version ever, and they just couldn't stop playing it.

Pachinko

Speaking as a Canadian, this is some definite newfie tier porting.

Porting is the one thing newfies ARE good at though, I mean the ocean is right there man!

Kidding aside, I hope this gets fixed up , I'd love to play a version of this game that my friends can also play that also runs at 1080p. I have the PC version but I'm the only 1 in my friends group that actually games on a computer .... well that would play a fighting game there anyway.

----

This port though, I'm thinking there are many things that could have happened and we can probably rule some of them out just by thinking it over a bit.
1) Hardest theory to prove but the most likely answer - The developer who ported this game was perhaps desperate to work on street fighter 4 , might be a cool gig, and thus possibly underbid on its production cost in the hopes that it wouldn't be that difficult AND to ensure they could get the job. Sony then said "sure, you've got the lowest price and look capable, here's the $800K you agreed to , you've got 4 months. Then the porting job proved to be much more difficult since it uses a proprietary engine built by DIMPS and between the small team size and limited budget corners had to be cut. At some point the game must have hit a finished beta version but perhaps too late to clean it up. The 4 month dev-time perhaps was given a 1 month delay to make the beta a playable but shoddy version and that is what ended up being released yesterday. With the intent to begin patching it even as that version was getting cleared for release. Promotional materials such as last weeks trailer were probably built using the PC version and possibly even got finished 6-8 weeks back.

2) Someone at certification dropped the ball and a beta version from 2 months ago got put up on the store instead of the final release edition, given that the game hasn't immediately been replaced by this imagined "finished" copy I don't feel this is very likely.

3) This version of the game had to enter certification at the end of april because in an effort to clean up the bugs , something was changed that completely broke the game. Perhaps a patch is almost ready to go to update the game to proper state ? If this were the case I think they would have just delayed the launch by a week.

Either way, I'm thinking the developer behind this mess should really come out and apologize to anyone who already bought it. If their intent was to be known as a cheap but efficient "hd remaster" studio this game has only tarnished their reputation instead of glorifying it. In the words of Immortan Joe "mediocre"

Again what the hell is wrong this gen? Why are devs struggling and how are these games getting passed QA!!

Dunno myself, but if I don't see something that floats my boat in terms of a true 1st-party exclusive from Sony or Microsoft this E3, I'm just gonna go PC and maybe pick up a Wii U later down the line.

I mean, PS4 has Bloodborn right now and Tomorrow Children on the way, but two games does not justify a $400 investment. All the same, Quantum Break looks very promising but it's not worth the cover charge of an XBO for just that one single game.

But this mentality hurts games aimed at more niche audiences and enthusiasts, as we can see here. The very idea of farming out the port of a hardcore fighting game designed for tournaments to a nobody studio with a bad track record should be ludicrous. Yet here we are.

This is the heart of the issue, right here. It's sad how many gamers this gen are willing to do the job of people who used to be employed/paid by companies before the game came out.

It's pretty ridiculous. Here's these companies going "hey numbnut!? How's about you pay US to play an incomplete beta of our own product, and send us back feedback free of charge because you're totally not a real beta-tester even though you're doing the work of one? Yeah!"

Gamers,...oh how far we've fallen :(.....

VariantX

I have a very general impression that it's corner cutting. Since games can be patched after they're in the public's hands, and the public gets to play beta tester, it's more tempting to save money on internal testing and paying the full dev team to stay on one project. Especially because, as we have seen, mass numbers of mainstream customers don't care about technical quality and bugs to a certain point. Many can't even tell what framerate is - as long as the game doesn't freeze for 1-2 seconds repeatedly, it's "smooth and fine". (I have heard many people say they can't tell when Assassin's Creed games chug.)

Since the masses will rush out and buy millions of big games on day 1 regardless of how polished they are, I guess there's no incentive for most publishers to actually polish things very well before launch. If there's a problem so bad that the average player actually notices eventually, it can be patched.

Don't forget the Sony rep who said they're investigating "patch issues" on twitter was the same guy who weeks before typed up an empty PR blurb about this very game. He said it was so awesome, the best version ever, and they just couldn't stop playing it.

You'd think they'd know and understand who the audience that this port is for. Nothing escapes them, even the most minor of flaws will be picked up by this audience that casual players simply wont pick up on because they don't put tens of thousands of hours into playing these games. Whats good enough in terms of testing for the mainstream is not even remotely good enough for competitive games like SF.

Agent X

I just don't know how you can go out and say "this is the definitive, tournament-standard version of this game" and then release something like this. There wouldn't be nearly as much of an uproar if they didn't hype it up like that and coordinate with EVO.

I agree. They really made a big deal about promoting this version of the game as having virtually lag-free input. It's appalling to find out that there's more lag in this version.

I wonder if there was some point during the game's development where the game really did have much less lag than other versions, and that the lag was introduced very late in the development schedule. It's likely this really was a design goal, but something screwed it up and they rushed it out the door anyway.

Sony needs to ensure this is remedied quickly, especially since they are heavily sponsoring major fighting game events like EVO. It would be a total embarrassment for Sony if event organizers are forced to bypass the PS4 in favor of a competitor's last-generation system due to performance issues.

SnakeEyez

I agree. They really made a big deal about promoting this version of the game as having virtually lag-free input. It's appalling to find out that there's more lag in this version.

I wonder if there was some point during the game's development where the game really did have much less lag than other versions, and that the lag was introduced very late in the development schedule. It's likely this really was a design goal, but something screwed it up and they rushed it out the door anyway.

Sony needs to ensure this is remedied quickly, especially since they are heavily sponsoring major fighting game events like EVO. It would be a total embarrassment for Sony if event organizers are forced to bypass the PS4 in favor of a competitor's last-generation system due to performance issues.

The only thing I can think of is the lab zero drivers seeing as how pad players have noticed no/less lag. Also, I recall Markman mentioning that he was testing ps3 sticks for this prior to it being announced that you could use your ps3 stick for this...Seems like he knew and if that's the case so did Capcom/Sony.

Kai Dracon

Well... given the porting company's level of competency, it doesn't seem a stretch that they could not integrate the Lab Zero drivers in a way that doesn't cause extra lag. Or they didn't have time to test the drivers and figure out how to reduce latency.

Devid905

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2015/05/27/usfiv-on-ps4-out-today-update
UPDATE:

Please note that these statements are from Capcom.

For those experiencing issues and wondering about a patch, we are aware that you are experiencing problems with the PS4 version of USFIV, which was published and developed by SCEA’s Third Party Production group. SCEA and Capcom are currently looking into the issues that some users may be experiencing and are working to resolve them as quickly as possible. We will continue to provide updates on our progress.

A lot of our more competitive players have wondered how the USFIV version of PS4 will affect them and the tour. To that we'd like to advise that the integrity of the Capcom Pro Tour is a top priority for us and we will continue to work with tournament organizers worldwide to ensure that the highest quality event will be run. Each region will maintain its current hardware standard for the remainder of the 2015 Capcom Pro Tour until otherwise announced. We will keep you updated as to when the PS4 version of USFIV will be integrated into the Pro Tour.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Stay tuned for future information

Boke1879

Glad they got out in front of this. Now just fix the damn game in a timely manner. Honestly I think they should have waited and let the PS4 be the tourny standard until after Evo.

Cotrip

While playing online with friends I noticed another bug. The voice chat in-game is a mess, it always stops working during the character selection screen.

I know there's party chat for this, nevertheless, it's disappointing.

nikos

The end of that update makes it seem like the PS4 version isn't going to be used at CEO/EVO, and that a patch may or may not come by the end of the Capcom Cup World Tour.

Glad they're acknowledging it, but hope a patch comes sooner than later.

Boke1879

The end of that update makes it seem like the PS4 version isn't going to be used at CEO/EVO, and that a patch may or may not come by the end of the Capcom Cup World Tour.

Glad they're acknowledging it, but hope a patch comes sooner than later.

I think it'll come ASAP. But right now players have to start training and they can't wait for a patch. Might as well stick to what's familiar.

Kai Dracon

Haha this is legit good but I love the start. "It's Sony's fault"

Kaz lied, Street Fighter died.

kRjbcOi.gif

nikos

I think it'll come ASAP. But right now players have to start training and they can't wait for a patch. Might as well stick to what's familiar.

Hopefully that's the case. Patch as much as possible ASAP and wait a couple of months, to make sure everything is working as it should, before making it the official version.

Top Bottom