• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 is much, much better now. Bless.

DunpealD

Sunk some time into this version. The weird thing is EU still doesn't have the 1.05 content patch, so technically EU players are isolated from US players.

Using DS4 the input lag doesn't seem noticeable to me, at least not under water bad as some people have mentioned. But I also only played the PC and PS3 version. Was able to finish Evil Ryu's Ultra trial in timely manner(about 30 minutes with fooling around and having trouble due to the uselessness of some combos clashing with logic).
The online has been fine so far playing against green bars, haven't gotten a chance to play a yellow bar yet. The connection indicators when searching for matches are without a doubt busted, everything is just blinking or straight up showing nothing.

Haven't been able to reproduce the complaints about specific moves like Honda's slap not comboing or found anything out of the ordinary (outside of Decapre TP shadow not moving correctly?). Might have something to do with the content patch that got released in the US.

Glitches and bugs haven been pretty tame gameplay wise. The glitch videos shown seem to be contained within the confines of training mode due to the save/load state feature, outside of that I haven't seen anything close to what has been shown. Except when I whiffed dictators U1 into corner which made the character flickering the standing animation while still in the crusher animation. On a side note, the "invisible" sonic boom actually looks quite good aesthetically, too bad it disturbs the gameplay.
Menus obviously are embarrassing. Slow, stuttery and when going from character to stage select I could see a smaller screen flicker for a frame or so while in transition. Adding insult to injury the sounds are partially messed up, ranging from too loud music to too loud Sound Effects. Iirc, some are even saying that colors are completely off too in terms of saturation.

This port is disappointing/enraging and serviceable at best. But without a doubt a pathetic effort considering the promises of it being the "Ultimate version/Tournament standard". One would think they would go an extra mile because the CPT and tons of events are involved, but instead they turned it into a shit show and major inconvenience. Embarrasing for all 3 parties involved, maybe except Other Ocean because their track record was already foreshadowing a disaster. Really wish they would have hired Hexadrive to do the port, they would probably even make it run on 4K or something. Or at least maybe Dimps and other proven devs.

At this point it's difficult to recommend this port in good conscience, unless the buyer isn't worried about supporting shoddy work, purchasing the worst version and it being the only version in consideration.

Hopefully they can successfully patch it. But considering the current state/dev I would have more confidence if they were to pull an ZoE2HD on it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Bought it. Netcode is awful, all I am getting are zero bar matches everything feels floaty. Menus are slow as hell and it all feels clunky. Still haven't seen bad bugs. I am hopeful they will fix it soon.

I'll go and make a wild assumption. They don't have idea what they're trying to patch.

Do changelogs even come out during the announcement of a patch? Many fighting games usually get a patch announcement and then closer to the date receive a more detailed list.

SnakeEyez

finally got a chance to play this...O.O.... wow. Either i really suuuck now that its been quite some time since i last played SF4, or the shit quite laggy. I can't even do my BNB combos with Cammy smh

23% off at GMG: SLICKD-EALS23-OFFGMW
Comes to $11.55. Good deal for the best version (minus costumes)

I would hold off the Ps4 version and get the PC version instead. A toaster can run this game. I'm surprised the PS4 version isn't running at 4k.

thatJohann

Finished playing through arcade mode first on PS4 then on PS3. Using standard DS4 and DS3 pads here.

For me, there is a very noticeable input lag on PS4 compared to PS3. Not that there isn't any on PS3, as everyone knows there is, but it's worse on PS4. I'm not a pro or competitive player by any means, but I immediately noticed the difference right away, in arcade mode. Something really does feel pretty off. The time it takes for action to happen on screen with relation to when I'm pressing buttons just seems delayed, with my perception of it anyway. I can't even fathom how frustrated people are who know the SFIV games inside and out.

This. I caved in and bought it tonight. Everything feels off. I have to press buttons way before I expect them to land. Offline SP feels like online MP.

If it's coming next week then it's already been submitted and they know what has been addressed in it. Yet no changelog.

I will guess we wont get a official detailed changelog because then it will show how busted this port was.

Patch notes are going to be "Improved stability" levels of informative.

Bought it. Netcode is awful, all I am getting are zero bar matches everything feels floaty. Menus are slow as hell and it all feels clunky. Still haven't seen bad bugs. I am hopeful they will fix it soon.

Are you just referring to search results or when you actually enter a lobby?

Like I said earlier I've played a ton of matches online and because I knew from previous versions not to trust that I just pick a name and enter the lobby within seconds of the results coming back, pretty much while they are all still blinking.

I'd say 7 out of 10 I enter the lobby and get a yellow bar. I usually get an "OK" match out of a yellow bar. 3 or so out of the at 7 I get a green bar and almost all of those have been great.

If it's anything less I leave the lobby and re-search. I was playing a match within a minute or so pretty much non-stop.

I know that's still not perfect but that was also my extensive experience with the 360 ver as well (with the PS3 version seeming worse to me, but I got that version much, much later when there wasn't a huge player pool).

edit: I was pretty much just referring to your "zero bar" results. I've never gotten a zero bar in a lobby, doing what I do above. Usually if I let the bars load on the results screen, I SIGNIFICANTLY increase my chances of getting a "cannot join" error because someone probably beat me in.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Are you just referring to search results or when you actually enter a lobby?

Like I said earlier I've played a ton of matches online and because I knew from previous versions not to trust that I just pick a name and enter the lobby within seconds of the results coming back, pretty much while they are all still blinking.

I'd say 7 out of 10 I enter the lobby and get a yellow bar. I usually get an "OK" match out of a yellow bar. 3 or so out of the at 7 I get a green bar and almost all of those have been great.

If it's anything less I leave the lobby and re-search. I was playing a match within a minute or so pretty much non-stop.

I know that's still not perfect but that was also my extensive experience with the 360 ver as well (with the PS3 version seeming worse to me, but I got that version much, much later when there wasn't a huge player pool).

edit: I was pretty much just referring to your "zero bar" results. I've never gotten a zero bar in a lobby, doing what I do above. Usually if I let the bars load on the results screen, I SIGNIFICANTLY increase my chances of getting a "cannot join" error because someone probably beat me in.

Yeah when results are pinged if I see a yellow bar or more I immediately go join it. Sometimes it's decent sometimes it's similar to playing underwater. If I wait for all to load and then select someone probably beat me to it. I dread to think what a red bar might be like, but I remember the Xbox version not being this bad, and even the GFW version was decent. The steam version is worse than this one at least online, unless they fixed all the horrible issues they had.

AmyS

This. I caved in and bought it tonight. Everything feels off. I have to press buttons way before I expect them to land. Offline SP feels like online MP.

I'm in the camp that believes this port will be very difficult to fix with patches, unless Sony and Capcom do the majority of the work themselves. Would it not be far better (for the gamers / consumers) if Sony takes this whole mess off of Other Ocean's incapable hands, finds another developer to do the job from scratch. Rebuild the port from the ground up?

Yeah, that would probably take a lot more time and money. It's most likely not going to be worth it to Sony or Capcom to do that, unless they figure they need to with their reputations on the line, tournaments and all. I doubt it. I'm at the point where this really doesn't matter to me. Too many other games to finish and new ones to get into. I'll see how the patch(s) turns out, revisit this next week but for now, I'm out.

thelastword

Banned
Does that green man gaming 20% off code floating around not work for ultra?

Capcom won, im buying Ultra for PC, haha.
Don't be so eager, I have all versions of this game, this is nothing compared to what the PC version was on steam, it took them over a year to fix it too and that was mostly Valve than Capcom.

Playing on the PC was impossible both in offline play and online, just pure atrocious. They have now fixed it for the most part but playing on the 360 is still superior online. Even now you can get some pretty laggy matches on PC that remind you of how bad it was. Don't know if some guys play off their wireless on laptops, some computers don't even meet the A requirement and there are lag switchers and macro users galore. I still won't consider the PC version the best experience, that clearly goes to the 360 version.

As it stands you're getting this version (PS4) on the most popular console with all the dlc included, yes it has it's issues, but the game is not unplayable like the pc version was on release. The issues in this game is not beyond fixing at all and with Sony and Capcom helping Other Ocean I forsee a very quick turn around for this port tbh.

Lots of the core game is functioning for the most part, I can play arcade mode without it slowing down to a crawl as it did in the original pc release. I've mostly played red and brown bars online, since I mostly use arcade request, so my experience online have not been too great, though it's much better than what PC used to be online. I'm sure if I search ranked and chose from there I'd get better connections or get some consistent greens. I'm just saying, don't be so hasty, I'm not condoning bad ports at all, but wait a few days, even two weeks and see how this pans out, I'd wager it will be positive. I'd also wager that most players and most of the best players will be on PS4 in the coming weeks and months anyway.

For what it's worth, I'd mostly play PC only when my live sub runs out these days (mostly a day or two) till I renew. The competition on PC is not as good as 360 or on the PS3 when I played there sometime back. It's a bad port, but the package with dlc is good enough that you can wait a few days and see how the PS4 version pans out. If all goes well, i'm sure this will be the place to play.

It's still really asinine that they ported the PS3 version over instead of you know the PC version.

If Sony wasn't lazy and cheap, the PS4 game could have been based off the PC version or better yet you know the Arcade version, which itself is a Windows PC.
Where is this coming from? How do we know it's the PS3 version that was used for this port. In any case, to all those saying use the PC version, don't forget that the PC version was a mess till just recently. I'd still like to know where persons are getting the PS3 version port talk from though?

Csr

Don't be so eager, I have all versions of this game, this is nothing compared to what the PC version was on steam, it took them over a year to fix it too and that was mostly Valve than Capcom.

Playing on the PC was impossible both in offline play and online, just pure atrocious. They have now fixed it for the most part but playing on the 360 is still superior online. Even now you can get some pretty laggy matches on PC that remind you of how bad it was. Don't know if some guys play off their wireless on laptops, some computers don't even meet the A requirement and there are lag switchers and macro users galore. I still won't consider the PC version the best experience, that clearly goes to the 360 version.

As it stands you're getting this version (PS4) on the most popular console with all the dlc included, yes it has it's issues, but the game is not unplayable like the pc version was on release. The issues in this game is not beyond fixing at all and with Sony and Capcom helping Other Ocean I forsee a very quick turn around for this port tbh.

Lots of the core game is functioning for the most part, I can play arcade mode without it slowing down to a crawl as it did in the original pc release. I've mostly played red and brown bars online, since I mostly use arcade request, so my experience online have not been too great, though it's much better than what PC used to be online. I'm sure if I search ranked and chose from there I'd get better connections or get some consistent greens. I'm just saying, don't be so hasty, I'm not condoning bad ports at all, but wait a few days, even two weeks and see how this pans out, I'd wager it will be positive. I'd also wager that most players and most of the best players will be on PS4 in the coming weeks and months anyway.

For what it's worth, I'd mostly play PC only when my live sub runs out these days (mostly a day or two) till I renew. The competition on PC is not as good as 360 or on the PS3 when I played there sometime back. It's a bad port, but the package with dlc is good enough that you can wait a few days and see how the PS4 version pans out. If all goes well, i'm sure this will be the place to play.

Where is this coming from? How do we know it's the PS3 version that was used for this port. In any case, to all those saying use the PC version, don't forget that the PC version was a mess till just recently. I'd still like to know where persons are getting the PS3 version port talk from though?

After the patches from both capcom and steam my experience has been the opposite regarding pc and xbox 360. I have a lot more lag on xbox360 online. I agree with the comment about competition being a lot better on 360.
Noone knows what went wrong with the port so any assumption about the game being easily fixable or not is premature imo especialy since there are various glitches all over the place.

KTO

Anyone hear anything about a PP glitch? I am terrible at street fighter but I usually hover around 100-200 points. Anyway, I was in game 2 of a winstreak and noticed my PP was at 24. Now I lose a lot but 24 seems unobtainably low especially since you gain a lot more than you lose in that range. Even if I were at zero I think you are guaranteed to get 50 pts for your first win. I didn't document anything and this was just an observation but has anyone else heard anything about this?

gilley

Just an update while I continue counting frames (shoot me!)

I recorded 120+ tests of Ryu's stand LK using these consoles/controllers
PS4 - TE2 and DS4 pad
360 - Madcatz Silent TE, 360 pad
PS3 - OG TE, DS3 pad, Hitbox controller

I completed count frames for the Silent TE on 360 and the OG TE on PS3. My results gave 3.9f of input lag for 360
5.1f of input lag for PS3

I think my PS4 test results were probably spot on. I will continue counting frames this evening(shoot me!) and probably compile a video tomorrow morning just showing how I recorded/tested all this.

Justinh

23% off at GMG: SLICKD-EALS23-OFFGMW
Comes to $11.55. Good deal for the best version (minus costumes)

thanks for this. I've been meaning to get this on PC, but iirc the deals for street fighter weren't ever really good during the big sales (like 20 bucks i think, which is too much since I already have it on 360).

(shoot me!)

Sorry I don't have a gun, and sorry if I missed this. Did you get the same results for the Dual Shock 4 as your earlier test?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

PS4 - TE2 and DS4 pad

I completed count frames for the Silent TE on 360 and the OG TE on PS3. My results gave 3.9f of input lag for 360

I think my PS4 test results were probably spot on. I will continue counting frames this evening(shoot me!) and probably compile a video tomorrow morning just showing how I recorded/tested all this.
It would also be helpful to test PS3 sticks on the PS4 as that seems to be a bottleneck somehow.

Full DF analysis is up
I have doubts that this will ever be the definitive version of the game
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-ultra-street-fighter-4-ps4-face-off
Ultimately, this release left us rather baffled. Aside from the increase in resolution, every other version of the game remains superior in various ways. While it's still Street Fighter 4 at its heart, the quality of the conversion simply isn't what fans of the series deserve. It may be quite playable for the casual players - but clearly it's designed to appeal to hardcore users still enjoying the title and looking for a console upgrade to at least bring it up to par with the PC release. All of the promotional material was focused on hyping this version as the definitive version and everything was in place for it to become the de facto edition for tournament use. It felt like Sony and Capcom really cared about the fighting game audience and were trying to do right by them with this all-encompassing release but the end results just feel sloppy.

It appears that both Sony and Capcom are actively looking into this situation, and we can only hope it will be just a matter of time before it is fixed. As a digital-only release, potential patches are less of an issue here than they would have been had this game been released on disc. The question we have is whether or not Other Ocean will actually fix the many and varied issues the game suffers from. After all, despite receiving patches, its release of the Mortal Kombat collection on PlayStation 3 remains a complete mess to this day (constant screen-tear on a 2D fighter? Really?). On the plus side, the raw basics do seem to be in place on USF4, and the game certainly seems fixable, with its steady frame-rate during gameplay standing as a solid foundation.

However, for the time being the game has been dropped from the Capcom Pro Tour - which includes both Evo and Community Effort Orlando 2015 - until further notice. While the game may be patched in the future it's going to be difficult to win back the trust of the fighting game community at this point. When a port of a seven-year-old game ships in such a state, aimed at such a dedicated fanbase, but comparing poorly to the PC and even the Xbox 360 releases, you have to wonder about the state of quality control in the industry these days.

Houndi101

giphy.gif

Justinh

I think this deserves its own thread.

It seems DF's input tests coincide with Gilley's

yeah, some people that wanted to see this might've ditched this thread a few pages back.

I find this whole mess really disappointing. I don't have a PS4 yet, but I'd reckon to have one by SF5, and am thinking about trying to get my hands on one of those VLX sticks next month before they disappear to marked-up reseller land.

Bob White

Gilley is 10000000x more hardcore than you'll ever be, and he said it felt like PS3.

We aren't stupid. We've been playing this game as long as you have. We can tell when there are twice as many frames of delay as there usually are.

The point is that the problems and glitches are INCONSISTENT. They don't show up on everyone's consoles. It's not that we are TOO DUM AND NOOB to feel them.

Umm, thanks for proving my point? I didn't even bring up the glitches for the very reason they are so inconsistent. I brought up the lag. That hold over lag from the ps3 version was enough to make it not the tourney standard. Well, this ps4 version seems to have that same lag if not worst because of how random sticks interact with the lab zero driver.

That's enough for me to say this shit is busted. The ps3 version was unacceptable and now the ps4 version is. And I might not be Chris G or fucking gilley, but when evo was still on ps3, and I was grinding on 360 at wednesday night fights/at home, the shit was instantly noticeable by me when I played my first match.

Imm0rt4l

We don't have all the numbers from Gilley. Just the PS4/TE2 number. We don't have PS3, 360 or PS/Legacy numbers. His numbers can't be directly compared to displaylags.

PS4 - TE2 and DS4 pad

Does that green man gaming 20% off code floating around not work for ultra?

Capcom won, im buying Ultra for PC, haha.

PC is PS3 level of horrible, once they moved from GFWL to steam been awful...PC version at times is dead, Capcom did a good job of making sure people say fuck this game, or this version, i know a few players who went back to 360...

Onemic

PC is PS3 level of horrible, once they moved from GFWL to steam been awful...PC version at times is dead, Capcom did a good job of making sure people say fuck this game, or this version, i know a few players who went back to 360...

PC version is easily the best version across all platforms. They've fixed all the issues.

Top Bottom