• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Geniuzz

XBL: Geniuzz
PSN: G-Niuzz
Area: Western Europe (The Netherlands)

See y'all day 1, but I plan on hitting the dojo first, so maybe day 2 :)

vulva

Chun is a pretty lady. I bet Dudley wouldn't mind getting touched by her a few times.

I'm so in for the age of Chun again. Now that she's got a good chance of not sucking and I'm finally not totally ass at the game, there's a chance that I'll do well at EVO this year.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Went to an arcade in Shinjuku the other day to see if Gouken still worked...

One 100 yen coin and five wins later, I can testify that the inverse old man is still at large.

/brag

See y'all on da slopes!
91809424.jpg

Can someone please confirm his changes? I'm actually a know-nothing scrub.

Shackzam

I'm so in for the age of Chun again. Now that she's got a good chance of not sucking and I'm finally not totally ass at the game, there's a chance that I'll do well at EVO this year.

I was actually playing casuals against a Chun player in Ultra at UFGT. I didn't like any minute of it. Even the matches I won (which wasn't too many) I didn't feel good about winning. She is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

vulva

I was actually playing casuals against a Chun player in Ultra at UFGT. I didn't like any minute of it. Even the matches I won (which wasn't too many) I didn't feel good about winning. She is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I've really worked on my Chun over the years and I feel comfortable in almost every match now. She was horrible for AE and 2012, but I feel like my long investment is paying off finally.

Shackzam

I've really worked on my Chun over the years and I feel comfortable in almost every match now. She was horrible for AE and 2012, but I feel like my long investment is paying off finally.

I really need to work on my match-ups with Dudley especially Chun because I know the basics of what I'm supposed to do in the match-up, but never run into a lot of the characters I prepare for and never get any good practice against them. I still hate the Ryu match-up, but I can deal with it. I'm still happy Dud's is getting buffed.

Please tell me Kazunoko is going to Evo...

He's been to the last two EVO's, I see no reason why he nor any of the Topanga guys won't come. I'm pretty confident he'll be there. Hell, I think he might come to CEO as well.

Playing e ryu in ae

I dont like his cr.mk at all, feels weird to me

I think it's because it's a lot slower than all the other Shoto cr. MK. Oni, Ken, Ryu, Akuma all have low forwards that start up in 4 to 5 frames. Evil Ryu's cr. MK starts up in 7f. The benefit of it is that it has more reach and hit/block stun. It's a true block string with fireball at almost any range against most of the cast(with a few exceptions). Try that with any of the other shoto's and people can blow right through your fireballs. I wouldn't say it's better either though, just different and unique in its own way.

On another note, it is so damn depressing watching Japanese videos of Evil Ryu. First off it's very hard to find. Top tier or not, he doesn't seem that popular. And when I do come across them, most of them have a sub 50% win rate and get bodied hard by much better players. Sure Daigo is kicking ass and taking names with Evil Ryu, but the only two matches of him floating around on Youtube is him getting beat by two different Mak players.

And if that wasn't bad enough, these Evil Ryu players aren't doing anything new. They're practically playing him almost identical to his AE 2012 self. Not that he's that different, but he has some new stuff that I think is useful, but they're not using it at all.

I have come up with some idea in my mind that I want to try in Ultra. I've already tested them in the USF4 mod, but of course it's not the real thing. And these Evil Ryu players aren't attempting them. I don't know whether they don't work or it's just not a good idea to use them. At least this just makes me hungrier to play USF4 since I'm not getting any satisfaction watching my character.

I think the one thing I learned the most from watching Japanese arcade matches is that if I played at one with decent comp, I'd probably only have a 20% win rate at best. Even the dudes with a win rate that low look about as good as me lol.

hypernima

Banned
I think the first day Ultra drops I'm just gonna lab it up for Elena.
Try to discover what works, and what doesn't etc etc.

Also add me to that list for PSN: Hypernima

On another note, it is so damn depressing watching Japanese videos of Evil Ryu. First off it's very hard to find. Top tier or not, he doesn't seem that popular. And when I do come across them, most of them have a sub 50% win rate and get bodied hard by much better players. Sure Daigo is kicking ass and taking names with Evil Ryu, but the only two matches of him floating around on Youtube is him getting beat by two different Mak players.

And if that wasn't bad enough, these Evil Ryu players aren't doing anything new. They're practically playing him almost identical to his AE 2012 self. Not that he's that different, but he has some new stuff that I think is useful, but they're not using it at all.

I have come up with some idea in my mind that I want to try in Ultra. I've already tested them in the USF4 mod, but of course it's not the real thing. And these Evil Ryu players aren't attempting them. I don't know whether they don't work or it's just not a good idea to use them. At least this just makes me hungrier to play USF4 since I'm not getting any satisfaction watching my character.

I think the one thing I learned the most from watching Japanese arcade matches is that if I played at one with decent comp, I'd probably only have a 20% win rate at best. Even the dudes with a win rate that low look about as good as me lol.

Probably just have to wait for Sako videos lol. After watching his evil Ryu I feel like I can't watch more than 1 minute of anyone else's... No one else even comes close.

vg260

Gonna be playing SFxT all this week before it's officially dead when this drops. Sadly, I never really got to dig into it.

edit: nvm. Watch_Dogs this week.

XenoRaven

I'm not. People are just going to cry that she's too good now. At this point I'd prefer she just be a solid middle tier character so I don't have to hear people complain.

Also hi guys I'm playing Street Fighter again.

Shito

Maybe I'm getting confused with all the different release dates thrown around!
From what I've understood, the arcade version with the latest changes + Decapre will be updated early June, but Japan will only get the console version (DLC or retail) on August, probably to "protect" the arcade version a few months more.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Thanks. I think that's a fair change. MK SBK for damage, LK for knockdown. I assume cr HP xx HK SBK doesn't combo.
cl HP xx HK SBK was made to work during AE in addition to a damage nerf from 270 to 200 since it's actually usable, and cl HK xx HK SBK works on some characters too, but is harder to do and does less damage. Now that HK SBK doesn't leave you in their face at +0 anymore and got a slight damage buff, it's a highly viable meterless damage option now.

I think i have to borrow my brother's PS3 for this. I need my Street Fighter fix !

I really hope they have a surprise for PS4/XB1 owners. I want SF4 for PS4 !

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
XenoRaven: I PMed you a post explaining why, but allowing MK SBK to knock down was straight up broken for Chun-Li because of what it allowed you to juggle into. This is also why HK SBK had its recovery nerfed, because before it allowed finely timed character specific combos that did even more damage. Those juggles are no longer possible, and the juggles that remain doable with LK SBK got a massive damage nerf so only a few situations remain worthwhile.

XenoRaven

I remember them making that change, but I don't get how the input would work. How do you keep charge while doing cl HP?

Edit: Thanks Hito. Didn't even think about juggle properties.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I remember them making that change, but I don't get how the input would work. How do you keep charge while doing cl HP?
The fact you had a charge is remembered in the input buffer for 10 frames. Same reason why dash ultra and throwing a fireball on charge back, forward, back+punch works. Basically the input becomes hold down, release~HP~up+HK.

Edit: Thanks Hito. Didn't even think about juggle properties.
Not many did! Some Chun players were complaining that MK SBK knocking down was a nerf because it meant MK SBK Super didn't work anymore, and cheered when it was made to not knock down again. Even when I told UltraDavid about this tech and it got bounced around on twitter to see if it worked in the real game, not many realized what kind of damage potential it was offering.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
XenoRaven: EX Kikouken knocking down means juggle potential as well! EX Kikokuken EX Legs EX SBK works, for example, as does EX Kikouken U1 at max screen distance.

XenoRaven

From max distance huh? I'm guessing you would need dash U1 to make that connect? That's still way easier than doing raw dash U1 on reaction. Especially online.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
From max distance huh? I'm guessing you would need dash U1 to make that connect? That's still way easier than doing raw dash U1 on reaction. Especially online.
No dash! When they're falling their hurtbox expands horizontally so it works as-is. The only issue if ex kikouken knocks down when it connects through another fireball. In the Ultra mod it doesn't.

Trophy list is out. On my phone so can't really post it.

Most of them are generic except for the achievement of hitting both Ultras in a Ranked Match. Would be harder if it was one round tbh

XenoRaven

No dash! When they're falling their hurtbox expands horizontally so it works as-is. The only issue if ex kikouken knocks down when it connects through another fireball. In the Ultra mod it doesn't.
Weird. I thought all EX fireballs with knockdown properties retained them when going through a single fireball.

Are you back on Chun or are you still on dat T. Hawk grind?

So Chun is god-tier? Fuck :p.

Now everyone will complain about how overpowered she is.

She still has weak aspects to her character, but having her as a properly good character is a good thing. We will see.

Cannot wait to play Ultra. With Edition Select it is like two games in one. Vanilla Rufus gonna wreck heads. :D

After catching up on UFGT, I'm definitely excited to try out Elena and Decapre. Seems like more Honda players are following Akimo's lead and eyeing Elena as a new main, and Decapre has always interested me since I like playing charge characters.

Top Bottom