• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV trailer

I don't think they could copy and paste. I think the stages in sftxtk are longer. Also I hope they have new music for those stages. The music for pitstop 109 is atrocious.

nah man, jurassic park (upper level) has a dope theme, so does mad gear hideout (first round). but yeah, the music was terribad in sfxt.

TheOGB

Banned
Sweet baby. Thanks

Also anybody know a site for fighting game terminology? You guys are speaking in code here lol

I can see FDAC being Forward down arc circle

But what is wake up and all that good stuff?? FGC is so meta..... @____@
On my phone, but I think EventHubs explains most of those terms.

Skye

Sweet baby. Thanks

Also anybody know a site for fighting game terminology? You guys are speaking in code here lol

I can see FDAC being Forward down arc circle

But what is wake up and all that good stuff?? FGC is so meta..... @____@

Terminology varies per game, but here's one for SF4.

FDAC isn't an actual acronym, but you're probably thinking of FADC which stands for Focus Attack Dash Cancel. In SF4, there's a move called Focus Attack that you can charge up and you can cancel the charging animation by dashing. However, you can cancel other moves INTO the Focus Attack, so you can essentially cancel some moves (like a shoryuken) into a focus attack, and then cancel that focus attack into a dash. This is what FADC is, roughly.

"Wake up" refers to the time period after someone is knocked down and is getting up.

Both retail and downloadable full versions, I believe.
And I'm not still not convinced that includes the DLC costumes for vanilla Street Fighter IV.
I think it's just the disc version...

If you own Super Street Fighter 4 or Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, you can download the update for $14.99. This will upgrade the game as is, with all your data intact. The other option would be to buy the disc version, which will give you all DLC costumes for all characters released until now, as well as future content (to be discussed in the future). This option is available for $39.99.

Source

Raitaro

I don't think they could copy and paste. I think the stages in sftxtk are longer. Also I hope they have new music for those stages. The music for pitstop 109 is atrocious.

Apart from size differences, they would also have to remove some of the Tekken cameos from the background and decide on which part of the stage will be the fixed view for this game (as some of them, like the Dino one) feature multiple views. That is assuming that they don't keep the stage transitions.

So in the worst case scenario, tweaking means that are just doing the bare minimum of adjusting the stages to fit the SFIV world (i.e. no Tekken cameos, no transitions) but in the best scenario they will actually alter a few details so that SFxT players will not feel like they are playing on the same stages again. In that regard I would prefer them to add new cameos or some alterations to the background events and treat them as a sort of sequel to their SFxT versions. New music could also be a good thing indeed.

And regarding the DLC stages question above: while I understand the technical difficulties this could result in with online versions etc., I can't say that I - as a fighting game stages fan - wasn't quite dissappointed when Capcom (A) never made character specific stages and then (B) didn't at least add a few more ones as DLC or - better yet - in their SSFIV Arcade Edition update.

For me, seemingly inconseqential things such as stages, ending cutscenes, music and sound effects are actually what makes me remember a fighting game because it helps to establish their unique atmosphere. Without this atmosphere, even when the gameplay is solid, I still won't be as driven to return to old games as much. (Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy that most of the time plays New Generation instead of Third Strike because he likes the stages, the art between fights, and thus the overall atmosphere in that game infinitely better.)

I for one will thus welcome these "new" stages as long as they don't create a rift between the original ones when it comes to world building too much.

Edit:
Any rumours on who the 5th character is?
No real rumors but quite a few hints, as discussed here earlier. In summary: it will be a possibly obscure off-everyone's-radar type Capcom character that is new to Street Fighter but is related to it, that has never been featured in a fighting game, that could have something to do with the age rating of the game going up (though I might be remembering that one wrong), that could be a woman (as hinted at a panel) and whose name could be starting with an 'Y' (because the other four new characters' names start with 'H', 'P', 'E', 'R' as was pieced together here in this forum). Yoshinoro One himself could be a possiblity, as could my own suggestion of R.Mika's teacher Yoko Harmageddon (probably not though), but characters like Haggar or Damnd are out because they already are featured in fighting games. Asura and Bad Box Art Mega Man are also out as said by Ono himself. Now that I think about it, the 'Y' hint - if true - could also imply a character related to the Greek letter upsilon. Does this ring any bells for people? Or it could indeed imply a third Yun and Yang sibling, as has been suggested here (and which would be easier to create). Or it could..wait for it...refer to 'You', as in a character the player can create himself by choosing a look and moveset from different presets (as is possible in many wrestling games).

un1que

I wish they'd release Ultra SF for XBone and PS4 as well.

Although i'm guessing that the 360 fightstick won't work on the new machine...

Edit:
No real rumors but quite a few hints, as discussed here earlier. In summary: it will be a possibly obscure off-everyone's-radar type Capcom character that is new to Street Fighter but is related to it, that has never been featured in a fighting game, that could have something to do with the age rating of the game going up (though I might be remembering that one wrong), that could be a woman (as hinted at a panel) and whose name could be starting with an 'Y' (because the other four new characters' names start with 'H', 'P', 'E', 'R' as was pieced together here in this forum). Yoshinoro One himself could be a possiblity, as could my own suggestion of R.Mika's teacher Yoko Harmageddon (probably not though), but characters like Haggar or Damnd are out because they already are featured in fighting games. Asura and Bad Box Art Mega Man are also out as said by Ono himself. Now that I think about it, the 'Y' hint - if true - could also imply a character related to the Greek letter upsilon. Does this ring any bells for people? Or it could indeed imply a third Yun and Yang sibling, as has been suggested here (and which would be easier to create). Or it could..wait for it...refer to 'You', as in a character the player can create himself by choosing a look and moveset from different presets (as is possible in many wrestling games).
The panel question didn't really seem like a hint imo, just a little girl wanting the mysterious character to be a girl (hence just making the audience happy "we could make it a girl if you want it to be"). Also the HYPER theory breaks down when you consider that all the characters ported to USF4 were SFxT characters not present in SSF4, so its more of a coincidence that they spell HPER. The game isn't even called Hyper street fighter.. so why would they limit the character to a name starting with y.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The panel question didn't really seem like a hint imo, just a little girl wanting the mysterious character to be a girl (hence just making the audience happy "we could make it a girl if you want it to be"). Also the HYPER theory breaks down when you consider that all the characters ported to USF4 were SFxT characters not present in SSF4, so its more of a coincidence that they spell HPER. The game isn't even called Hyper street fighter.. so why would they limit the character to a name starting with y.
It could be "OHPER", which would mean Darth Vader!

Raitaro

Probably all true, these considerations. Then again, I was just summarizing the thought process and detective work in the thread so far. Wishful thinking or not, the HYPER hint is too well found not to at least mention.

Also, everything is allowed in wild speculation ;-)

Sigh...

Now to patiently wait again for any new crumb of info...

Platy

My vote for 5th character !

TTt0vIs.jpg

Fuck Carlos !
Who needs a south american swordsmen when you have THE BEAST himself ? xD

Erigu

Electric Snake (E. Snake), a male-counterpart and rival to C. Viper who is also tasked with investigating Shadaloo.

HERPES
That reminds me that there was a male counterpart to Crimson Viper...

Smalt Raven:
sjHqj2E.jpg

I guess that would be a character that isn't on anybody's radar.
(I wouldn't bet on it, really.)

FlyFaster

dawgtanian says all new characters will be good

one thing that doesn't make sense though, is that they want the game to reward intelligent play, and to that end they are trying to tone down vortex setups since they are "auto-pilot"

Well, so are Auto-correct DPs. While we're at it, Option selects are pretty brainless too, instead of choosing a single move you get to choose 2! If that's not auto-piloting the game, I don't know what is.

Kizer

one thing that doesn't make sense though, is that they want the game to reward intelligent play, and to that end they are trying to tone down vortex setups since they are "auto-pilot"

Well, so are Auto-correct DPs. While we're at it, Option selects are pretty brainless too, instead of choosing a single move you get to choose 2! If that's not auto-piloting the game, I don't know what is.

Using your option selects would be an intelligent thing to do.

LordJim

Top 5 for sure.

Assuming frame data is not changed dramatically from SFxT and that most juggle heavy moves will not work, Hugo may end up the best grappler easily with Poison easily high tier.
Rolento with his current adjustments and Elena are the ones I worry about

Every character can OS and auto-correct specials, not every character can vortex. Plus arn't OS and auto-corrects in SF4 a result of the input leniency for inputting EX moves?

FlyFaster

Using your option selects would be an intelligent thing to do.

Using your vortex would be an intelligent thing to do.

Every character can OS and auto-correct specials, not every character can vortex. Plus arn't OS and auto-corrects in SF4 a result of the input leniency for inputting EX moves?

I'm just pointing out that Capcom is claiming to make the game less brainless by "rewarding intelligent play" yet, there are clearly other thing in the game that are braindead.

auto-correct DP -- I don't even care what side you are jumping at me, I can cover BOTH sides with my DP

option select -- Oh, you are about to get up? (example) you have 4 wakeup options, your opponent has an option select at kills 3 of them. great. intelligent play!

the reasoning behind toning down vortex, capcom claims, is to make the game less braindead. Yet, there are other of braindead things here still.

alstein

I'm scared that Capcom's definition of intelligent play is OS's, links and vortexes.

Glad to see all chars get new toys, though they need to be unafraid to nerf things as well. Nerfs that come with buffs are the best nerfs.

Top Bottom