• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV trailer

You're kidding right? If you put your opponent in the position where they have to guess off of a mix-up or reset, etc. to score the hit or knockdown, the onus is on your opponent to not be put in that situation in the first place. Hell, even tricking your opponent into thinking it's a cross-up and be ambiguous is a strategy as well. I understand there's some braindead shit that needs to go away (like unblockables and OS) but a cross-up is not one of them.

I'm not kidding, no. You're arguing people should never be knocked down here. That's silly and unrealistic. I get the idea that the person who scored the knockdown should get some advantage, but I argue it shouldn't be in the form of a coin toss as to whether you eat another combo. Quite apart from the fact that you were already punished for your first mistake, wakeup guessing games potentially lead to the rest of the match being decided based on pure luck. Isn't that half the reason vortexes are such a big deal?

I agree unblockables are dumb though.

They should remove cr.lp and step forward, what it they throw? what it they counterhit me, what if they just dp? Why do I have to guess?

Pretty big difference between guessing what an opponent is going to do -- a legitimate "mind game" based on an educated guess of viable options -- and guessing whether your character will turn before an attacker's hitbox connects. In the latter example you can eat the hit regardless of whether you correctly "guess" what attack your opponent is throwing. Why is devaluing player intent here a good thing?

If you're all good enough to discern invisible hitboxes at a pixel-perfect level so you can spot a cross-up 100% of the time more power to you.

alstein

She needs an overhead that's at least +5 on hit and neutral on block. What's the point if she can't combo after it or if it's unsafe?

Most overheads can't be comboed from. I hope you're trolling.

If I was to do Cammy, I'd nerf Cannon Strike by making it knock down on hit and a height restriction on EX, but give her a much stronger hooligan that is faster and hits crouchers, and make her spin knuckle much faster and more of anti-fb and anti-low tool. EX Spin Knuckle would have full invincibility except for the head. I'd also find a way to take away her unblockable. She'd keep her normals.

Westlo

Cammy could use a few buffs. There are still a couple of matches that aren't in her favor.

2nd worst throw range in game
no overhead
spin knuckle useless
hooligan useless outside of gimmicks that work once
cl st hk punishable on hit. (give it that vanilla sfxtk jump cancel ability on block and hit)

Fix this shit capcom.

no overhead
spin knuckle useless
cl st hk punishable on hit. (give it that vanilla sfxtk jump cancel ability on block and hit)

Fix this shit capcom.

This and her losing a bunch of comboability from Super were why I was surprised Cammys were doing so well at EVO this year. What did they do to buff her?

Westlo

Cammy's throw range is only 2nd worst? Who has the worst?

Looked it up on hubs and no idea if this is the "proper" comparison one of the ones I'm looking at lists Cammy as the worst along with Guy, Juri and Dee Jay. The other one they list has her at 0.79 range as the second worst with Dee Jay being 0.75 as the worst. (no number for Juri).

No idea how AE characters stack up though.

Also looking at walkspeeds Ken is equal 25th of the Super cast tied with Dan :( Going by Combo's comments (he's faster than ryu) it's like he'll be faster than Ryu who is equal 16th with Gen, Honda, Rose, Gouken and Rufus, that would be massive if true, if he's as fast as el fuerte, sak, adon or blanka with his other buffs, gfg.

but yeah Combo's comment of

Things that did made sense that people latched on to such as make Ken walk faster so he has a difference between him and Ryu.

Is kinda weird since Ken is way slower than Ryu, making him walk faster pretty much means = Ryu, but they going to go past that?

I'll take Fei Long speed fwiw.

Westlo

This and her losing a bunch of comboability from Super were why I was surprised Cammys were doing so well at EVO this year. What did they do to buff her?

Basically AE Cammy to AE 2012 Cammy changes was this.

- Reverted HK spiral arrow to Super
- Nerfed Yun and Yang so players flocked back to Cammy. (most will go back to them if they end up stronger than Cammy)

And she gained combos from Super to AE, for losing instant cannon strike, though looking at even more dmg and stun reduction for her heavy attacks it's like we're getting Super Cammy anyway except you can hit 1/2 frame heavy links instead of 2/3 mediums for extra style points since they'll probably do the same dmg/stun now.

Cammy did better the year before when Xiao Hai placed top 5 or whatever.

alstein

no overhead
spin knuckle useless

Fix this shit capcom.

This is why I think Cammy needs nerfs and buffs. She has some useless stuff, but buffing that would make her broken, so she needs some nerfs as well.

There's no rule that a char can't get both.

kirblar

Looked it up on hubs and no idea if this is the "proper" comparison one of the ones I'm looking at lists Cammy as the worst along with Guy, Juri and Dee Jay. The other one they list has her at 0.79 range as the second worst with Dee Jay being 0.75 as the worst. (no number for Juri).

No idea how AE characters stack up though.

Also looking at walkspeeds Ken is equal 25th of the Super cast tied with Dan :( Going by Combo's comments (he's faster than ryu) it's like he'll be faster than Ryu who is equal 16th with Gen, Honda, Rose, Gouken and Rufus, that would be massive if true, if he's as fast as el fuerte, sak, adon or blanka with his other buffs, gfg.

Things that did made sense that people latched on to such as make Ken walk faster so he has a difference between him and Ryu.

Is kinda weird since Ken is way slower than Ryu, making him walk faster pretty much means = Ryu, but they going to go past that?

It's sounded like they want Ken to have a much more aggressive approach than Ryu. I'm really interested in how he turns out.

Kizer

It's sounded like they want Ken to have a much more aggressive approach than Ryu. I'm really interested in how he turns out.

as he should be. Ken is for the players who like shoto and who want to play a close and aggressive game, like myself. Ryu is more for those who like shoto and who prefer to control space and perhaps even the flow of the match if you play your cards right.

Essay

To get the context of the quote, you have to read the bit that Combo said before that:
Combofiend said:
What we found was sometimes there was a mob mentality where some guy would request something radical and then everybody would jump in on that and that would make the character a little too strong, so we couldn't go with those. Things that did made sense that people latched on to such as make Ken walk faster so he has a difference between him and Ryu.
^ Confusing wording, yes, but don't blame Combo; blame whoever wrote that down and left the second part as a sentence fragment, instead of separating it with an em-dash to show the ideas were connected. Journalists these days.... xD

Really though, that reads as him saying that it made sense canonically for Ken to have faster walk speed than Ryu (which is the idea "the mob" latched on to), but implying that it would be too extreme of a buff from a balance standpoint. Think about it: if he had faster walk speed, he would effectively be Vega with a 3-frame normal, a fireball, a DP, and a better kara-throw. Why would anyone even play Vega after that?

Here's my 2nd guess on who the 5th character is and why:

Franziska von Karma
- Capcom character
- Was supposed to debut in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, so there has to be some assets they could use to make her rather than starting from scratch.
- Can loosely be tied into the SF universe thanks to a mention of a Prosecutor Edgeworth in UDON's SFL: Ibuki #3.(canon be damned at this point)
- Completely off the radar.

Dumb, probably but there isn't much to work with since the character has to somewhat fit in the SF universe and is relatively off the radar...

Mike M

Nick N

Franziska von Karma
- Capcom character
- Was supposed to debut in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, so there has to be some assets they could use to make her rather than starting from scratch.
- Can loosely be tied into the SF universe thanks to a mention of a Prosecutor Edgeworth in UDON's SFL: Ibuki #3.(canon be damned at this point)

Dumb, probably but there isn't much to work with since the character has to somewhat fit in the SF universe and is relatively off the radar...

*Doesn't know who this is*
*Googles it*
*Gets fat/pregnancy fetish art*

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Franziska von Karma
- Capcom character

I'd rather she go into Ultra Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Rebuying the Same Damn Game a Third Damn Time with Edgeworth in tow for Team Turnabout Courtroom Drama. >_>

Franziska von Karma
- Capcom character

That would make my day, actually.

It'll be some completely unrelated character from a completely unrelated franchise, just to imply that the SF universe connects all of Capcom's universes.

Platy

Franziska von Karma
- Capcom character

Wrong attorney game that fits in the SF universe

jIeGADP.jpg

Silky

Banned
Sorry for the weird bump, but I think I have an Idea as to who the 5th character could be.

Tom, Alex's mentor from SF3

sf3-tom.jpg

-Story wise, Tom is is a former military member, so he could have some sort of relation with both Guile, Charlie and Abel
-Tom is completely aware of other, older World Warriors--specifically Nash and Guile
-As a mentor of Alex, he could have the same move/playstyle of Alex, along with some sort of projectile. (Seeing as Abel recalled Guile's sonic boom being familiar.)
-It could be a Setup for how SFIII continues (seeing as some of the other additons to Super SF4 are non-canon.
-BOTH related to SF, has never been playable in a fighting game, and is a NPC who made a huge impact in the SF verse (Alex being the main character of SF3.
-capcom really likes Jean Reno

Tizoc

The Fifth Character is Captain Commando:
C. Viper may as well be his ancestor or the like.
He is allied with a member of Guy's ninja group
The events of his game take place in Metro City in the future

Small update on Fighter #5

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-x-button/2013-08-21

Ultra Street Fighter IV's undisclosed fifth new character has a lot of people talking. When might we find out who it is?

Dahlgren: It'll be a little bit later down the line. Our ship date is early 2014, so we don't want to spill the beans too early.

You've said that this character was never before playable in a Street Fighter game or any other fighting game, right?

Dahlgren: They're brand new to the Street Fighter franchise.

But not necessarily all-new…

Dahlgren: [Laughs] We'll leave it there!

Compared to something like Marvel vs. CAPCOM, Street Fighter generally draws from only itself, Final Fight, and perhaps the canceled CAPCOM Fighting All-Stars. Will the new character expand that continuity?

Dahlgren: The character's a very natural fit for the Street Fighter universe. It's a character that R&D was thinking about for some time and wanted to bring to fruition.

There more about balancing and what's on the game disc in the full interview

Top Bottom