• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultrawide vs Standard 16:9 Ratio? Which do you prefer and/or do you only play certain games using one or the other?

kiphalfton

I played Wolfenstein The New Order and Wolfenstein The Old Blood on ultrawide 34" Alienware AW3420DW monitor. It was great. However, I decided to play Wolfenstein II on my OLED LG TV and although the colors obviously look better, I think it's a mistake playing FPS games on a standard 16:9 TV/display.

I'm thinking once you go ultrawide it's hard to go back.

Thoughts and opinions?

Curved 21:9 (or higher), or fuck it. Ultrawide is superior than having better colors in my opinion. Immersion beats all, and you can't get that with a limited FOV. Plus ultrawides always support higher framerates. They are honestly built for different purposes. 21:9 is meant for gaming and content creation (flat panel, ugh).

Last edited:

nixcm

Neo Member
I’m also looking into going ultra wide to replace my 3 mismatched screens, maybe keep one of them as an additional portrait display. But I use my pc for work too, so wonder how it will affect zbrush, maya etc; and I like to stream to my tv via steam link, which might not play well with my pc screen being super wide…

I have a curved super ultrawide,49" 32:9. Upgraded from a 27" 21:9, each upgrade has been worth it IMO. Hard to go back to standard after having the wider view area and most games are supporting the native 3840x1080 @ 144 fps.
Here is a 21:9 from DOOM 2016. The rest are from the 32:9, DOOM Eternal, Destiny 2 and Cyberpunk 2077.

4FB21961D9F64E8F480EDFC5E13BD9F216EEE667

5965704710F5E571765EFD90DF8B0AC7A0EF3353

EF76BB8491609F25EB7559FE6A1F1A032048DC51

42E2934D6C36AC0FEDE136C27309B8592B396350

Edited to add screenshots.

Last edited:
I have a curved super ultrawide,49" 32:9. Upgraded from a 27" 21:9, each upgrade has been worth it IMO. Hard to go back to standard after having the wider view area and most games are supporting the native 3840x1080 @ 144 fps.
There are rarely any games that don't support it, and if they don't, there are ready community fixes. Even Xbox Series is supporting ultrawide monitors. It's definitely the future for gaming.

Larxia

If I had a perfect vision I could be interested in ultrawide, but with my glasses my peripheral (even just slightly peripheral) vision is really bad, quickly turns into chromatic aberration mess, so I couldn't really properly use an ultra wide monitor. I think even a 16:9 27" monitor would be a bit too big, currently with a 24". Yes it's sad, wish I could find a fix for this.

Also not really sure I would be into a curved monitor, but maybe for ultra wide it makes a bit more sense.

Love it. I plan to go Ultra Wide, too. I want it all, though. so I am putting together a budget around 2k for a good fucking monitor.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't really understand the benefit of an ultrawide monitor as opposed to one that is simply bigger. Would you ever want a monitor that is shorter than the one you have? Because that's essentially the deal.

Last edited:

Moochi

21:9 is perfection. You don't have to turn your head much and all the details just stream in from the limits of your peripheral vision. 32:9 is too wide for me--I have a disease that makes turning my head a problem, and I don't want to sit so far from the screen to compensate that everything becomes too small.

Phase

There are rarely any games that don't support it, and if they don't, there are ready community fixes. Even Xbox Series is supporting ultrawide monitors. It's definitely the future for gaming.
I'm planning on going UW soon, but I'd love to use it for both PC and future consoles. Are there any with hdmi 2.1 or will we have to wait a bit longer?

Armorian

Banned

I'm planning on going UW soon, but I'd love to use it for both PC and future consoles. Are there any with hdmi 2.1 or will we have to wait a bit longer?

Consoles won't support UW properly any time soon, it requires more processing power and % of people with monitors is too small.

Armorian

Banned
Last edited:

longdi

Banned
It is been 10 years, wow
i remember seeing this 21:9 TV in stores

TBf, you can take a 16:9 and use custom resolution to make it 21:9, at least for PCMR, works best with Oled becase of the black bars

I've been using the 3840x1620 custom Res method with a 4k TV for a few years now, on a game by game basis tho as some games that have support can still be iffy. Battlefield 1 is probably my favourite for ultrawide, not just for the added competitive bonus, as the sweeping vistas on the larger maps are just glorious to see without needing to pan the camera. Once you've done 21:9 on a game it's tough to go back to 16:9

Kenpachii

Problem with 21:9 is, the 1080p version is dog shit. Its way way way to small vertically.

So that leaves only 3440x1440 which takes a ton more resources of the GPU. The screens also are mighty expensive. And the support is still to this day kinda shit.

Rikkori

Ultrawide for sure, but since it's all about size I stick to TVs, so most of the time I'll be playing in 16:9. I used to play on both a 32" 16:9 monitor and 29" 21:9 monitor before I made the jump to 4K TVs, and tbh the monitor has to be 34"+ else it feels like you're looking through a keyhole, it's too damn short vertically. In the future I hope we'll get modular TVs so I can piece a huge ultrawide TV together.

I play on Ultrawide. Can't go back.

My first major monitor purchase was a 16:9 144hz G-Sync monitor and I loved it, got an Alienware AW3420DW a few years back during a Black Friday sale and have never gone back, now I use that 16:9 monitor as a second monitor and always use the 21:9 for gaming and everything else.

baphomet

depends.

The only ultra wide monitors that I would consider using arent cheap. Minimum 1440 vertical, 144hz, not curved, and a gsync module.

I'd probably buy a 144hz 4k gsync monitor before I'd buy an ultra wide.

16:9. i think ultrawide would be good but i aint touching it unless it's standard. i'm not messing about with games modding them to get them "working". nor am i playing with black bars. fuck that shit. if ultrawide monitors become the standard and developers make games run in ultra wide then i'll jump in. but until then it's 16:9 for me.

GreenAlien

Watch the video I posted above
The comparisons always seem to be made with smaller 16:9 screens. That seems arbitrary. You might as well match length instead of height. In that case, the 16:9 has more space available instead of less, and you should be able to get the same 21:9 picture and see even more.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
The comparisons always seem to be made with smaller 16:9 screens. That seems arbitrary. You might as well match length instead of height. In that case, the 16:9 has more space available instead of less, and you should be able to get the same 21:9 picture and see even more.

You don't get how it works.

7ly2rod6cay51.png
h7cfb9zj8pv41.png

Resolution and screen size doesn't have anything to do with how much you see in games, aspect ratio has.

eNT1TY

21:9 on PC since LG released their first ultrawide. Have replaced my monitor 3 times since. Have been rocking an LG 38GN950 but might return it to Costco and wait for full HDR panels with FALD in the 38" range and going back to my 34GK950G which has served me quite well as it strikes a nice balance of refresh rate and rez for a 2080ti. Wished the Series X and PS5 supported ultrawide.
The only thing lacking in the Ultrawide space compared to top end 16:9 displays is HDR support and proper HDR is a game changer for me, the impact is much more appreciable than resolution alone could ever offer. So Ultrawide for PC but 4k HDR for consoles, both offer unique experiences and both can impress.

longdi

Banned
i think 32:9 is too wide, so much i have to turn my head, and many games will distort at that wideness

GreenAlien

Resolution and screen size doesn't have anything to do with how much you see in games, aspect ratio has.
Get a bigger 16:9 screen while maintaining the same size of the car via fov adjustment instead of having it appear bigger due to the bigger screen.. The center image stays the same, you get the additional length of 21:9 screens and the additional height from your bigger screen..

You just choose a higher fov that would make the car appear further away on your old screen.

Let's say I usually play Cold Steel 4 with 45 fov on my 16:9. If I change the fov to 70, I see more on the sides just like I would with a 21:9 screen.

I really don't get why that shouldn't work.

Edit:
FOV, horizontal data won’t change because you buy a bigger 16:9 monitor.. unless you tweak but a high FOV on a 16:9 looks like a fish-eye while on an ultrawide it looks natural.
Well, that might be the main issue.. :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

FOV, horizontal data won’t change because you buy a bigger 16:9 monitor.. unless you tweak but a high FOV on a 16:9 looks like a fish-eye while on an ultrawide it looks natural.

OP, I have the same monitor, AW3420DW since a year now and I just can’t go back. Barely used the TV for gaming since then. The monitor upgrade in other aspects was also mind blowing, I mean I went from an old 16:9 1080p 60Hz monitor to an ultrawide 1440p 120Hz Gsync. Gsync/freesync also is a something I could not live without now, it’s so good.

I mostly play single player games / sims, so the immersion is bringing a lot to the table. First time I played Dirt 2 on it I was so much more stressed than all previous runs because the sense of speed is simply higher with having more road/trees in your field of view.

There’s still some bonehead devs who don’t give the option even though the community finds the hex hack within a few minutes of release, which tells a lot about some dev’s porting laziness, but overall the support is pretty good for 21:9 and more and more supported natively with new releases.

Some 2D indies do not support ultrawide which is a shame, like Hades. I buy those on Switch. But again, I barely touch the thing anymore.

edit: oh also, eliminating letter boxing for 99% of the movies is

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Get a bigger 16:9 screen while maintaining the same size of the car via fov adjustment instead of having it appear bigger due to the bigger screen.. The center image stays the same, you get the additional length of 21:9 screens and the additional height from your bigger screen..

You just choose a higher fov that would make the car appear further away on your old screen.

Let's say I usually play Cold Steel 4 with 45 fov on my 16:9. If I change the fov to 70, I see more on the sides just like I would with a 21:9 screen.

I really don't get why that shouldn't work.

Edit:

Well, that might be the main issue.. :messenger_neutral:

You will still see more on 21:9 with higher fov...

Days Gone

16x9 FOV 87

TtOqlTF.png

21x9 FOV 87

LEdn2Af.jpg

16x9 FOV 100

Aa1KXv0.png

21x9 FOV 100

qrfLMW9.jpg

uXFK7f8.jpg

brian0057

Banned
16:9, 16:10 > 4:3 > Every other aspect ratio.
Also with a max FOV of 90. I despise FOV's above 90. They always look like shit.

EDIT: I haven't tried ultrawide monitors so I can't opine on them.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
16:9, 16:10 > 4:3 > Every other aspect ratio.
Also with a max FOV of 90. I despise FOV's above 90. They always look like shit.

EDIT: I haven't tried ultrawide monitors so I can't opine on them.

21:9 is real deal, i didn't believe it until i got x35 on clearance.

tbf, you need at least a 34" for 21:9, anything smaller, the lower height is not ideal

Miles708

Anything that makes you move your head to look is bad.
The Office Thank You GIF

I understand for competitive enviroments, where everyone is out of his mind to not get a real job, but in normal circumstances using your "peripheral vision" is not a convenient, or even comfortable way to play.

But this is the PC enviroment where any FOV lower than 185° is a crime against humanity, because apparently PC gamers are chameleons with independent eyeballs.

Top Bottom