• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultrawide vs Standard 16:9 Ratio? Which do you prefer and/or do you only play certain games using one or the other?

TastyPastry

wouldn't the problem with games not natively working in ultrawide be circumvented by just buying a 16:9 monitor and a ultra wide monitor? having a multi monitor setup is one of the best things about pc's anyway and i don't want to go back to single monitors ever again, i would just play all the games that give me problems with UW on my second monitor.

Curved 21:9 (or higher), or fuck it. Ultrawide is superior than having better colors in my opinion. Immersion beats all, and you can't get that with a limited FOV. Plus ultrawides always support higher framerates. They are honestly built for different purposes. 21:9 is meant for gaming and content creation (flat panel, ugh).
tenor.gif

Neilg

I dont game on my PC much, but I could never change back from an ultrawide for work.

I used to have 2 monitors side by side but I found that that ended up just a bit too wide and I was having to turn my head to look at what I needed to click on, so I just wouldn't use the extra real estate. Ultrawide is that perfect in between of a 2 monitor setup where you can see everything at the same time without losing windows or having to look around for things.
It is very good for games when I occasionally play them but I already sit in this chair for 10 hours a day.

but honest , i got a 43 inch monoprice crystal , the colours , the speed , the wide boy , in the game feel, on doom , war thunder etc all fkin awesome. even on p5 , i would say , you wont be disappointed.

love it.

Fredrik

I’m also looking into going ultra wide to replace my 3 mismatched screens, maybe keep one of them as an additional portrait display. But I use my pc for work too, so wonder how it will affect zbrush, maya etc; and I like to stream to my tv via steam link, which might not play well with my pc screen being super wide…
I’m still using three screens, or one, for this reason. Had a ultrawide for awhile but thought it was annoying to have to hunt for fixes for unsupported games, older or hobby games got stretched in fullscreen.
This was years ago though, I think modern screens are capable of simulating 16:9 fullscreen much better.

BigSquanch

Neo Member
The OP I quoted said "they are better for everything". Which is false. If they were better for esports the pros would be using them, is what I am saying. Also, OLED TVs kick the shit out of them in a lot of use cases as well.
Esports never have and never will care about what is “better”. Esports cares about what is marketable. That’s why they use Racer chairs and gamer headsets when they could be using ergonomic chairs and hifi headphones.

Rbk_3

Esports never have and never will care about what is “better”. Esports cares about what is marketable. That’s why they use Racer chairs and gamer headsets when they could be using ergonomic chairs and hifi headphones.

Right on, doesn't change the fact you're at a major competative disadvantage using an ultra wide vs a 24" 360hz 16:9

Hezekiah

Banned
I played Wolfenstein The New Order and Wolfenstein The Old Blood on ultrawide 34" Alienware AW3420DW monitor. It was great. However, I decided to play Wolfenstein II on my OLED LG TV and although the colors obviously look better, I think it's a mistake playing FPS games on a standard 16:9 TV/display.

I'm thinking once you go ultrawide it's hard to go back.

Thoughts and opinions?
Great monitor, I got it last year. I mainly play first and third-person games so the extra FOV is greatly beneficial, but I reckon ultrawide is better for pretty much everything.

Armorian

Banned
Right on, doesn't change the fact you're at a major competative disadvantage using an ultra wide vs a 24" 360hz 16:9

What? ~200Hz UW will be reasonably close in speed and will still offer more visibility for the player, whether or not "PROS" prefer it is up to them.

Hezekiah

Banned
The AW3420DW is an amazing monitor, but I was wondering if anyone has gamed on the AW3821DW?

I was considering getting it, but the downsides are that Dell doesn't do part-exchanges, it also doesn't support proper HDR like my one. Plus it's £1,300.

Esppiral

Does everyone use a gyroscope on their neck when playing on their ultrawides? I'm not understanding this, or maybe I'm just not doing it right? Why would you have to turn your head constantly with an ultrawide? Someone please explain, as your peripheral is used for the added horizontal real estate.

Why would you need to turn your head? lol do you sit at 5 cm from your TV or what?

I remember reading this same nonsense when 16:9 wasn't standard yet....

Why would you need to turn your head? lol do you sit at 5 cm from your TV or what?

I don't get why people think you need to spin your head around like a rockstar when using one. I could never downgrade my experience back to 16:9 after rocking 21:9 and 32:9 for the past couple of years.

Armorian

Banned

I don't get why people think you need to spin your head around like a rockstar when using one. I could never downgrade my experience back to 16:9 after rocking 21:9 and 32:9 for the past couple of years.

Yeah, I'm just moving my eyes on 34' UW

Some people...

Top Bottom