• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Umm...what's the relationship between these two games?

Cloudy

Banned
And why is Atlus releasing them so close together (September and November)? Not that I'm complaining or anything ;)

DDS%20Boxart%20Small.jpg

NoctuneBoxSmall.jpg

School me!!! :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't know, but Nocturne is about the only Japanese RPG I'm interested in this year. HOT!!!

(and Paper Mario 2 ahem, is Japanese, forgot to spread the love)

belgurdo

Banned
One is an actual continuation of the SMT series (maybe Atlus is finally trying to establish it in the US?) and the other is a spinoff like Persona

belgurdo

Banned
neptunes said:
Is persona any good?

First one sucks but has an AWESOME plot (albeit somewhat butchered thanks to Atlus' botched localization), Eternal Punishment is fun but difficult to start off (since you'll get nowhere in fights unless you learn how to properly converse with monsters-if a combination works, WRITE THAT SHIT DOWN otherwise you'll have a hard time restarting if you've put the game on hiatus.) Never played Innocent Sin

Cannot wait for these. I love the SMT series and most of the spin-offs. The announcement of DDS during E3 was the best news to come out of that whole event as far as I'm concerned.

Persona 2 rocks. Persona isn't very accessible for most people and is slightly archaic by most standards, but Persona 2 hasn't aged as badly. It's my favorite PSX RPG, personally.

I think it's very, very likely that Atlus wants to establish SMT as a brand here in the States. In Japan, DDS is just called Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner. There's no mention of SMT in the title. It was renamed SMT: DDS here... which I assume was done to create some sort of market awareness for these two titles.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hmm...SSX is nowhere to be found...tis a shame.

Anyway, I'd find it very easy to argue that Persona 2 is the best RPG on PSX. At the very least, it is among the best. Great story, characters, art, and a battle system that (if not great) is fast paced.

Revelations: Persona(the first in the series) is definately not as good, but I wouldn't say it is bad. It has problems, and shows its age, but isn't unplayable. I'd recommend playing it because there are some things that carry over to Persona 2(Which is actually the third game in the series, the second (Persona 2: Innocent Sin) never made it here) and because, as mentioned, the story is damned good.

SMT3 and DDS aren't related much. The "side-stories" to SMT don't really have much in common with the main story aside from similar enemies and themes.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Semjaza Azazel said:
JApanese one... but still similiar to the US art...

jacket_01_b.jpg

Can't find my larger Nocturne art.

Actually, the boxart Cloudy posted was a different one. It shows two human characters in a different pose, with less of the body showing.

Archaix said:
Actually, the boxart Cloudy posted was a different one. It shows two human characters in a different pose, with less of the body showing.

Yeah, I realized that and edited it shortly before your new post heh. I honestly prefer the Japanese one.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Semjaza Azazel said:
Yeah, I realized that and edited it shortly before your new post heh. I honestly prefer the Japanese one.

I don't know. The character's proportions on the japanese box seem off somehow. It might just be the way he is standing, that seems unnatural in itself.

I don't know why the releases are so close together. It took them forever to even announce SMT3, and now Digital Devil Saga is released here just months after the japanese release. They probably took all those death threats to heart :p

I honestly have no clue why they are doing this. I was waiting and waiting for them to announce a localization for SMT3: Nocturne... didn't happen. Then the Maniax version was announced and most people just assumed they'd bring that over. It finally was announced.

The DDS announcement was a surprise for me. I didn't expect it, especially because the game isn't even out in Japan yet and the delay in a SMT US announcement. It's set for a July release... it's coming out really quickly here.

I'm mixed on if this is a good idea or not. The games seem to appeal to different sorts of RPG players... SMT apparently for the more hardcore and DDS for people more into cinematic RPGs (more cutscenes, voice acting, etc). I think they'll both rock, but they seem different enough that they can stand on their own... assuming they get a decent marketing push and good word of mouth. Hopefully it won't backfire for them...

Me, I'll be in heaven heh.

Japanese sites... they have more stuff on them than the US ones... mostly in terms of screen shots. Worth checking out.

SMT3:Nocturne Maniax - http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/dds3-m/index.html

SMT3: Nocturne (original) - http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/dds3/index.html (has some neat little paper craft things you can make in the Specials section... Jack Frost!)

DDS: http://www.atlus.co.jp/cs/game/pstation2/ddsat/index.html

I think the DDS site also has these cool Quicktime panoramas... you can rotate various ingame models. Pretty interesting.

Top Bottom