• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN Ambassador Haley hits Russia hard; condemns Crimea occupation, Ukraine violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

Do these comments make you:

1. Reevaluate your opinion on Trump and Russia?

or

2. Make you think she's gonna get fired?

Little bit column A, little bit column B.

Hard to believe she would take initiative and fly solo after Muppet put in ground rules by firing A.G.

oti

Banned
Nope.

58518cbb1800002c00e42a1e.png

I remember Paul Ryan agreeing with Obama after he threw out a bunch of Russian spies. That those idiots love a "strong leader" like Putin is not surprising.

Funny how Trump just talked to Putin, then Haley comes out with this statement. It's almost like Putin told Trump he'd hold the "L" for a little bit until the conspiracy talk dies down, then Trump can roll back sanctions in a year.

tbm24

wink wink

I hope nobody is buying what this conartists are selling
It becomes significantly harder to pull some back room vullshit when you come out so pubically stating the US agenda as the UN ambassador. She can try and walk it back but it won't go well for her or the administration. It think it goes without saying a lot of these picks are trying to box Trump in to be slightly less insane. All in all I'll take an explicit public announcements of Sanctions not being removed over the pussyfooting trump has been doing with the subject.

Atlagev

Even at his highest point with Republicans, Putin is still underwater on that chart by -10, so it's not like he's *popular*.

Plus, that was peak Hillary hate, so I'd be interested to see current numbers.

Also, I think there is a difference between Trumpist Republicans and Republicans like John McCain, David Frum, etc.

Tovarisc

What does that have to do with the subject of this thread?
It's about Crimea and eastern Ukraine, I don't see what Mexico and Canada have to do with this, dear friend.

It has to do with this administration. Trump does and says one thing, but his appointees are doing damage control after him. Puts into question if this statement was cleared by Trump and/or WH.

Nerazar

It has to do with this administration. Trump does and says one thing, but his appointees are doing damage control after him. Puts into question if this statement was cleared by Trump and/or WH.

Maybe she also "betrayed" the US by starting her UN career with calling out Putin? I give her exactly the same amount of time as for the AG to get fired.

I do hope her statement does accurately represent US governments stance on Ukraine issue, it would calm some nerves around globe and keep pressure on Russia. We need keep eye on what they do now.

Well, rebels already agreed to withdraw artillery from contact lines (again).
Ukraine heads the UNSC this month.
Russia needs to keep status quo.

We'll see how it goes, US side.

BahamutPT

Maybe she also "betrayed" the US by starting her UN career with calling out Putin? I give her exactly the same amount of time as for the AG to get fired.

Well, her actual first comment at the UN after confirmation (albeit not yet in the UN security council) was this gem, which is more or less in line with Trump's actions so far.
That said, this new comment about Russia sounds a bit strange. Not that what she said before invalidates it, but in the sense that it's a completely different "mood".

You know what would be crazy? If all of Trump's appointees just started doing normal, mainstream Republican things without Trump's direction or approval. He can either get on board and listen to people other than Bannon and his other shitstick friends, or fire everyone and get impeached for being incompetent.

Nothing illegal, nothing outrageous. Nothing that's going to change the course too dramatically. Just public statements, "leaked" communications with foreign leaders that are completely down the middle mainstream Republican but completely NOT Trump-approved. Just for a couple of weeks.

Nerazar

You know what would be crazy? If all of Trump's appointees just started doing normal, mainstream Republican things without Trump's direction or approval. He can either get on board and listen to people other than Bannon and his other shitstick friends, or fire everyone and get impeached for being incompetent.

Nothing illegal, nothing outrageous. Nothing that's going to change the course too dramatically. Just public statements, "leaked" communications with foreign leaders that are completely down the middle mainstream Republican but completely NOT Trump-approved. Just for a couple of weeks.

There was one bit where Trump mentioned that at some points he would let his appointees do what they deem best as they are "leaders" in that position. It would at least make the whole tyranny thing disappear as he cannot fire people left and right all the time. I mean, it will still be dangerous enough, but if he's willing to delegate, I am willing to see him in a more sympathetic light.

pulsemyne

Well, rebels already agreed to withdraw artillery from contact lines (again).
Ukraine heads the UNSC this month.
Russia needs to keep status quo.

We'll see how it goes, US side.

However there was a load of fight tonight and heavy use of GRADS etc. My bets is that Putin is trying to make it look like Trumps not a puppet and in the next few days things will quieten down so trump can say "Ah see we were tough with them in the UN etc"

I'm so distrusting of this administration right now that I can't stop and say "good job!" even when seemingly good things happen/are stated. However, I'll remain cautiously optimistic here.

I will say, I'm surprised how little coverage this got on GAF. I didn't even know this was news until today as it just seemed to fall off quickly from Off-topic.

Dehnus

Also Tillerson doing some clean up.

5HxXoHL.png

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/827287606660579328

Edit: Jake Sullivan [Foreign Policy Adviser to Hillary] on CNN atm, has doubts about if this statement was cleared by WH

SO basically a :"Oh don't be mad! It's just politics you know how that goes LOL! HAHA don't be sore losers now LOL! DO you want a hug.. well I won't say this publically ofcourse, BTW Trump will compare Canadians to Pedophiles next week, just a heads up! But we cool right?"

It's how Nigel Farage behaves as a MEP, when the Camera is on him? He'll scream like a petulant child calling people NAZIs. BUt that moment hte camera is off and he gets closer to that German, he is sweet as a kitten as he is afraid to get punched in the face :p.

It's how populists and bullies work. WHen their position is weak they suck up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom