• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced PS4 PhyreEngine Port In Development

Did not want to make some people freak out by putting it in the title but the article suggests the game might be Demon's Souls. Of course, it's just an assumption from Gearnuke but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Since Virtuos are mostly known for their HD ports and recently worked on two HD re-release for the PS4, it won’t be surprising to see them working on Demon’s Souls HD remaster as they already have the experience for it. The listing even specifies that this project is exclusive to the PS4 while they also have two more unannounced Unreal Engine 4 projects but they are listed for the PS4 and Xbox One. What makes it more likely is the limited list of games that utilize Phyre Engine and majority of them are PlayStation platform exclusives. Some more Phyre Engine developed games include Gravity Rush and Journey, both of whom have already been ported to the PS4.

Digging deeper, we can find out that it is indeed a port as seen on the linkedin profile of Dow Gong, one of the game producer at Virtuos. He lists an “unannounced porting project on PS4” on his resume suggesting that the Phyre Engine PS4 project might be a port. Both Gravity Rush and Journey ports were handled by separate developers so it is highly unlikely that it is simply an outdated information.
virtuous-phyre-engine-ps4-768x380.png

More at the link: http://gearnuke.com/unannounced-ps4...ent-heavy-rain-ps4-dev-possibly-demons-souls/

Edit: Sorry guys :(

Here's the picture so more people can see. The reason why people think otherwise is because wikipedia goofed up a few years ago and so many people were misled.

e289f8888fc398451a8f316e3ec19d3e.png

Tweet in response to this article:

8c3fd46bffbd597b74cf94d5f1901403.png

(He's part of the PhyreEngine team at SIE Euro R&D)

Here's the picture so more people can see. The reason why people think otherwise is because wikipedia goofed up a few years ago and so many people were misled.

e289f8888fc398451a8f316e3ec19d3e.png

Tweet in response to this article:

8c3fd46bffbd597b74cf94d5f1901403.png

(He's part of the PhyreEngine team at SIE Euro R&D)

Demon's Souls did not use PhyreEngine.

Robot Pants

Could it be dark souls? Cause I rather have that and it's a really smart thing to do because that decision basically prints money

I tried to verify if it was indeed a PhyreEngine game before posting it and found a lot of articles saying it was.

Sorry if it's not then :/

Plum

FWIW, PhyreEngine was made in 2008 and Demon Souls released in 2009.

It was launched to the public in 2008, so someone like From could have had access to it before then. Not that we know for sure, concrete details are hard to find.

EDIT: I doubt that it was, though. Wikipedia doesn't have Demon's Souls listed as using it whilst it has much more obscure games there. Lets not get our hopes up.

It was launched to the public in 2008, so someone like From could have had access to it before then. Not that we know for sure, concrete details are hard to find.

Ok my bad, thanks for the correction. But still, I don't think Demon Souls used PhyreEngine but rather From's own internal engine.

Parham

Banned
Worth mentioning that Virtuos does contract work for companies of all shapes and sizes. It's fairly plausible the project is a port of a small digital download title.

Plum

What high profile games use PhyreEngine? Checked the wikipedia page but nothing on there really stood out. Shatter or flOw maybe?

Shatter's not exactly high-profile and it was a multiplat, and flOw is already on PS4 and Vita. It's a mystery to us all.

Top Bottom