• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unbox therapy exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEUseWuQT8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QGXnqU1a2us

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlXAXdXgrk

So last year as some of you may have seen Unbox therapy showed a shitload of iPhones in the back of his truck. Around 800 iPhones. He then said he was giving away some of them. 9 months later and he's only given away 9 phones. He gained £20k from the videos views and massive increase in subscribers before taking down the video in March for some unknown reason.

So honourthecall who exposed Tmartn and Prosyndicate has made the above video calling him out on it. He alleges that the phones in the truck were empty boxes which you can buy in large quantities and did not have the Apple seal. I mean who the fuck buys 800 iPhones especially in Canada.

So how does this buffoon respond? He says he is doing another giveaway and blames logistics. The first winner of the giveaway was account that wasn't even active for a week. You could see in his new giveaway video that the Samsung boxes were wobbly and if they actually had something in them they would have dropped. I feel this guy deserves the Tmartn treatment. So many decent you tubers who do honest giveaways and then we have clowns like Lewis abusing it.

He's been posting about giving a bunch away on his Facebook recently too.

BWV1fKE.png

X65JwkA.png

Sure they were taking up space in a closet. I mean what mentalist goes out and buys 100s of iPhones. Then puts them in a closet.

It's funny also how the giveaway starts again as soon as he is exposed. Sadly a lot of his followers are falling for it.

Maximus.

Why you so salty? He doesn't owe anyone those phones. I knew some shit must've gone down when he originally stopped giving out phones but now he seems to have a fairly legit system. Maybe there was a problem before? Maybe it was too expensive? Nothing is owed to you or was promised.

He makes entertaining videos and has good production. I can see how someone being disappointed by not seeing the old giveaway through, but OP talking like this guy just is constantly full of shit or robbed them of something.

Maximo

Making one hell of a reputation for himself that's for sure.

Why you so salty? He doesn't owe anyone those phones. I knew some shit must've gone down when he originally stopped giving out phones but now he seems to have a fairly legit system. Maybe there was a problem before? Maybe it was too expensive? Nothing is owed to you or was promised.

He makes entertaining videos and has good production. I can see how someone being disappointed by not seeing the old giveaway through, but OP talking like this guy just is constantly full of shit or robbed them of something.

Didn't know Unbox had a GAF account.

It's really astounding the amount and creativity of the scams everyday people with high amounts of exposure manage to scheme. Definitely one of the downsides of the democratization of communication.

At some point I simply have to stop getting pissed and start just thinking "a fool and his money are easily parted". I can't get mad for their audience when that audience constantly buys into the scams.

The point is that the phones don't exist, it's just a ploy to gain massive amounts of attention for doing nothing.

HoodWinked

i remember youtube put one of his videos on my recommended video feed so i clicked it and he just felt like every phoney fuck that seems to have super high subscribers. pressed the back button and checked off

✓ I don't like the video
✓ I'm not interested in this channel

The M.O.B

It's okay to deceive others as long as you make entertaining videos?

karasu

I've never heard of this man but he seems to have interesting content. I wonder what kind of camera he uses for his videos because the quality is amazing.

The issue becomes the fact that he makes money off of videos that are promising to give away a shit ton of iphones and then he never does. It does raise the question of whether there should be accountability for someone doing this.

I mean obviously no individual is entitled to an iphone, but what he is doing is fraud. But I imagine since nobody would be prosecuting him for this, people feel they have a moral obligation to bring attention to what this guy is doing.

Kind of like the whole CS:GO gambling thing which is also controversial.

He gave away 9 phones. Made £20k from the video and gained a shit ton of subscribers. Do the maths.

Salty? No because I'm not interested in YouTube giveaways or such. This guy is conning people to gain subscribers and views. He's as bad as Tmartn. I bet you were quick to have a go at him.

I'm sure kids thought Tmartn made entertaining videos. That doesn't mean he can mislead people to gain subs and views.

Pretty sure he can be investigated for false advertising.

dity

Oh no, you didn't win a damn phone. The horror! Quick let's get real angry about this.

Unboxtherapy Exposed: Did Not Give Me iPhone!

It doesn't matter how many stupid phones were in a video about a give away. It could have been one phone and he would have garnered the same exact views from the title alone.

Maximus.

Making one hell of a reputation for himself that's for sure.

Didn't know Unbox had a GAF account.

Good talk.

It's really astounding the amount and creativity of the scams everyday people with high amounts of exposure manage to scheme. Definitely one of the downsides of the democratization of communication.

At some point I simply have to stop getting pissed and start just thinking "a fool and his money are easily parted". I can't get mad for their audience when that audience constantly buys into the scams.

The point is that the phones don't exist, it's just a ploy to gain massive amounts of attention for doing nothing.

It's okay to deceive others as long as you make entertaining videos?

Nope, but some people talking like he deserves to burn over this based on what other people are apparently saying or had "investigated"?

The issue becomes the fact that he makes money off of videos that are promising to give away a shit ton of iphones and then he never does. It does raise the question of whether there should be accountability for someone doing this.

I mean obviously no individual is entitled to an iphone, but what he is doing is fraud. But I imagine since nobody would be prosecuting him for this, people feel they have a moral obligation to bring attention to what this guy is doing.

Kind of like the whole CS:GO gambling thing which is also controversial.

That's fair, he should have been transparent about whether there was a real issue of if he only intended to give away X amount of phones. I wouldn't consider it fraud, it's an extension of something like a click bait title or a video that leads you on forever but gives no answer to the question poised in the title.

He gave away 9 phones. Made £20k from the video and gained a shit ton of subscribers. Do the maths.

Salty? No because I'm not interested in YouTube giveaways or such. This guy is conning people to gain subscribers and views. He's as bad as Tmartn. I bet you were quick to have a go at him.

I'm sure kids thought Tmartn made entertaining videos. That doesn't mean he can mislead people to gain subs and views.

Pretty sure he can be investigated for false advertising.

I don't know who the fuck Tmartn is. I am not savvy on every single YouTube personality and the fuckery that each one is involved in. I saw a YouTubers name I enjoy in this thread title, read all the posts, was familiar with his specific videos and posted my reaction to the disdain some showed in their posts.

Oh no, you didn't win a damn phone. The horror! Quick let's get real angry about this.

What? Did you watch the videos?

I own a 6/6s plus and have a Note 7 now for work. I upgrade my phones yearly. I don't need YouTube giveaways.

Here is a pic for you clown.

imagecd3f8.jpg

dity

What? Did you watch the videos?

I own a 6/6s plus and have a Note 7 now for work. I upgrade my phones yearly. I don't need YouTube giveaways.

Here is a pic for you clown.

2po1tp3.jpg

Yeah I've seen the "exposed" videos. They're the eqivalent of what I posted.

Also, nice image. Wonder where it came from.

The Beard

He lied to get tons of new subs. Tons of subs = lots of $.

You're right, he doesn't owe anybody anything, but he lied about giving away free iPhones to make money for himself.

Yeah I've seen the "exposed" videos. They're the eqivalent of what I posted.

Also, nice image. Wonder where it came from.

You're an idiot. Tempted to write that on my note 7. But you not worth the time getting banned over because you can't handle your favourite youtuber getting exposed as a fraud.

It doesn't matter how many stupid phones were in a video about a give away. It could have been one phone and he would have garnered the same exact views from the title alone.

Its amazing how grown men can still not be able to read and interpret.

jadedm17

Does this guy have a Paypal donation button?
HonortheCall is doing great work and I want to throw money at them to continue to do so.

Edit : Wow, so many people who didn't watch a five minute video before posting.

dity

You're an idiot. Tempted to write that on my note 7. But you not worth the time getting banned over because you can't handle your favourite youtuber getting exposed as a fraud.

I don't even get why this giveaway stuff makes you so angry.

Its amazing how grown men can still not be able to read and interpret.

dity exposed: already knows about this whole drama and thinks it's a very low priority thing to obsess and make multiple videos over.

What's next, people gonna count the phone boxes in the back of that truck? Cos the majority of his subs would still not have wooon anything.

dity exposed: already knows about this whole drama and thinks it's a very low priority thing to obsess and make multiple videos over.

What's next, people gonna count the phone boxes in the back of that truck? Cos the majority of his subs would still not have wooon anything.

Again-
Its amazing how grown men can still not be able to read and interpret

maybe read the OP. this guy basically made money from fooling thousands of people into thinking he would give them iPhones. So you can quit it with your godawful 'snark'

Maximus.

The language Unbox used in his original video said a few phones and some phones, etc. He never promised all these phones despite how visually deceiving it was. The Honour guy made 3 videos, when he could've summed it into 1 video. Thus doing a similar tactic of drawing out viewers to gain more traffic and money. Still dishonest.

Again-

maybe read the OP. this guy basically made money from fooling thousands of people into thinking he would give them iPhones. So you can quit it with your godawful 'snark'

Your posts and others like this in this thread prevent civil discussion. No need to talk down to people, rather have a discussion.

So people conning and being fraudulent shouldn't make me angry?

If you think it's low priority, why the hell are you in this thread?

dity

Again-

The dude makes a ton of money from all his videos because he has a huge subscriber count and unboxes swanky shiny new things that are expensive.

You can tell me to read the OP a million times when I already have and I've seen the videos already. Amazing, someone can be familiar with an "issue" before a thread is posted. Who'd a thunk it?

So people conning and being fraudulent shouldn't make me angry?

If you think it's low priority, why the hell are you in this thread?

He never said he was giving away all the phones. This is as low priority as making multiple videos about clickbait titles. As I said, it's a give away video alone. He would have got just as many views and subscribers if it was a single phone being given away.

And I am just here because it's the first thread on gaf I have seen about this and I am surprised.

The language Unbox used in his original video said a few phones and some phones, etc. He never promised all these phones despite how visually deceiving it was. The Honour guy made 3 videos, when he could've summed it into 1 video. Thus doing a similar tactic of drawing out viewers to gain more traffic and money. Still dishonest.

Your posts and others like this in this thread prevent civil discussion. No need to talk down to people, rather have a discussion.

So you clearly didn't watch the videos. The honour guys second video was exposing his new giveaway. His third video was exposing the company that is selecting the giveaway. He doesn't just get that info right away. The honour didn't know before video 1 that Unbox is going to respond with a new giveaway and didn't know who is selecting the winners unless he is psychic.

If you want civil discussion then watch the videos.

The dude makes a ton of money from all his videos because he has a huge subscriber count and unboxes swanky shiny new things that are expensive.

You can tell me to read the OP a million times when I already have and I've seen the videos already. Amazing, someone can be familiar with an "issue" before a thread is posted. Who'd a thunk it?

He never said he was giving away all the phones. This is as low priority as making multiple videos about clickbait titles. As I said, it's a give away video alone. He would have got just as many views and subscribers if it was a single phone being given away.

And I am just here because it's the first thread on gaf I have seen about this and I am surprised.

So your argument is that he wouldve made money either way so that makes it right? Ok.
Also, I remember when he posted the video and a recall him saying he would give all of them away

dity

Actually I think he has a huge subscriber count because he lied to his audience, you weirdo.

Haha, it was huge before, still huge now. Not like he zipped from 1000 subs to 5 mill based upon this one vid.

Also wow lots of personal insults in this thread. Wow.

lmao at the defense force

lmao at the people who sit on their edge of their seat waiting for the next "exposed" video to come along. An excuse for people who already don't like someone to legitimise their dislike.

Fat4all

Banned
Actually I think he has a huge subscriber count because he lied to his audience, you weirdo.

nah, his videos before this stunt were still really popular, seemingly for novelty's sake, like scratching expensive shit or just having expensive shit

also, jesus this guy uploads a lot of videos, it took me forever to get back to before last october in his video list.

indask8

I remember seeing this video and completely forgot about it.

I guess Youtube giveaways are as worth as Youtube comments.

Maximus.

So you clearly didn't watch the videos. The honour guys second video was exposing his new giveaway. His third video was exposing the company that is selecting the giveaway. He doesn't just get that info right away. The honour didn't know before video 1 that Unbox is going to respond with a new giveaway and didn't know who is selecting the winners unless he is psychic.

If you want civil discussion then watch the videos.

I did watch the videos. I have respected everyone's views here. The tone in those three videos was cringeworthy. He brought up some points, but I stand by what I have already said. Reading you replies and others just pisses me off with the way you talk down to others instead of talk respectfully or in a civil manner. So whatever, keep your hate train rolling.

Ozigizo

Also lol @ the dbrand giveaway. They straight broke giveaway regulations and gave it to an employees fiance.

How is that not the story here? It's actually illegal to do what dbrand did.

sirap

Out of all the scandalous things youtubers have done in the past, this is a pretty tame thing to get angry about. Sure, I get why people would call him out on this, but it's not like he didn't give away any phones at all.

The shit that the Fine brothers tried to pull off, along with those CS gamblers were much worse.

Media

Shady as hell.

It's seems like cons are going to be the next big thing on YouTube. Easier to con people when you make money simply by having them watch your video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom